Author Topic: Voting needed on what to buy  (Read 4317 times)

Offline aiksgt

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Voting needed on what to buy
« on: Nov 18, 2008 at 07:38 PM »
Guys need your opinion, Im currently using a 32 inch samsung LCD L32s71b, and I want an upgrade. but contemplating on what to choose on my two option.

If you were to choose among the two option what would you buy

Option 1
50pv80

or

Option 2
42pv80/42pv8 + ps3 + pana bd30

the following will be used in a 4x4 sqm living room

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Voting needed on what to buy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 07:47 PM »
PS3 purely for gaming? Kasi parang doble BD player.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:00 PM »
Yup, I agree with blued. Doble lang if you get both the PS3 and bd30. What's your current setup? For a 4x4 room, the 42" would work for me.
SARS!!!

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:03 PM »
nope not purely for gaming pang all around sir.

sabi kasi nila if i use the ps3 for movies madaling masira so kaya sa option 2 ko may blu ray player ako specific for watching movies.

Btw kaya yan ang mga options ko mainly because of the funds that i will get. Option 1 and option 2 will cost equally if i buy it.

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:06 PM »
Yup, I agree with blued. Doble lang if you get both the PS3 and bd30. What's your current setup? For a 4x4 room, the 42" would work for me.

sir my current set up
l32s71b for my lcd
yamaha avr yung entry level forgot the model 4 hundred series
sammy upscaler dvd forgot the model din
bose speakers accoustmas 3 tapos vcs10 then forgot the model of the surrounds
dtx 4.15 for the sub

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:22 PM »

sir my current set up
l32s71b for my lcd
yamaha avr yung entry level forgot the model 4 hundred series
sammy upscaler dvd forgot the model din
bose speakers accoustmas 3 tapos vcs10 then forgot the model of the surrounds
dtx 4.15 for the sub

Pwede na 42-incher kung 4m x 4m lang room. Parang nakakaduling pag 50-incher at that room size. Yung BD player mo I'd suggest getting something with analog outputs para ma-experience mo ang lossless through your older receiver, if that is a partial goal on your part.

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:27 PM »
Pwede na 42-incher kung 4m x 4m lang room. Parang nakakaduling pag 50-incher at that room size. Yung BD player mo I'd suggest getting something with analog outputs para ma-experience mo ang lossless through your older receiver, if that is a partial goal on your part.

ty sir cge i'll keep that in mind kaya naman napili ko yung 50 inch kasi nabitin ako sa 32 inch 2 yrs palang sa akin yun. I thought if i buy the bigger one na di na ako maghahanap pa.

sir you mention the BD player, most ba ng BD player ngayon ano connection? yung yammy ko kasi pwede coax and optic

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:29 PM »
option 2, but instead of the stand alone bluray player (which the ps3 does anyway). get an nmt (egreat or popcorn). you wont regret it.  ;D

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:32 PM »
option 2, but instead of the stand alone bluray player (which the ps3 does anyway). get an nmt (egreat or popcorn). you wont regret it.  ;D

thanks sir i'll keep this in mind, btw hindi ba sirain yung mga NMT? do they have service centers here? where can i get movies to put it in there? purely downloads lang ba sa internet or may establishment kang makukunan?

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:38 PM »

I don't think his Yammy 400 series have 5.1 analog inputs so lossless audio will be out of the question for now. I would suggest that intead of the bd30, maybe you can also upgrade your current speaker setup to further enhance your HT and gaming experience. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
ty sir cge i'll keep that in mind kaya naman napili ko yung 50 inch kasi nabitin ako sa 32 inch 2 yrs palang sa akin yun. I thought if i buy the bigger one na di na ako maghahanap pa.

sir you mention the BD player, most ba ng BD player ngayon ano connection? yung yammy ko kasi pwede coax and optic

How far viewing distance mo from the screen?

Usually for audio I think BD players commonly have HDMI, optical and coaxial.

I don't think his Yammy 400 series have 5.1 analog inputs so lossless audio will be out of the question for now. I would suggest that intead of the bd30, maybe you can also upgrade your current speaker setup to further enhance your HT and gaming experience. ;)

I second the motion, upgrade your L/C/R speakers in lieu of the BD30. :)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 08:56 PM »
Since you plan on going BD (either stand alone player or PS3 or both), and possibly an NMT, I suggest you buy a FullHD capable panel?  Pero a 42" HDTV plasma will cost the same as the 50" EDTV plasma.  You might want to consider LCD if you'll be doing a lot of gaming, and 40" HDTV LCDs are slightly cheaper.

Ok.  Option 3 yun.  If you are limited to your 2 options, I vote option#2.

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:07 PM »
May 50" EDTV pa ba dito sa atin? AFAIK 32" (LG 32PC5RA) and the 42" Panasonic without TV tuner nalang ang available EDTV displays dito sa atin.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
... kaya naman napili ko yung 50 inch kasi nabitin ako sa 32 inch 2 yrs palang sa akin yun. I thought if i buy the bigger one na di na ako maghahanap pa.

Para sa akin, kailangan mong tignan muna ang: (a) viewing distance and (b) native resolution.  Based on distance and resolution, diyan naka-base ang computation mo kung anong size ng TV nga ba ang bagay sa yo.

At ang computation naman ay based sa chart ni pareng Carlton Bale:

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:14 PM »
How far viewing distance mo from the screen?

Usually for audio I think BD players commonly have HDMI, optical and coaxial.

I second the motion, upgrade your L/C/R speakers in lieu of the BD30. :)

bale sir dulo dulo dulo ng 4x4 m yung inuupuan ko tapos na sa dulo naman yung tv

next in line ko na sir upgrade ng speakers medyo ipon pa ulit hehehe

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:14 PM »
thanks sir i'll keep this in mind, btw hindi ba sirain yung mga NMT? do they have service centers here? where can i get movies to put it in there? purely downloads lang ba sa internet or may establishment kang makukunan?

hindi naman sirain, and if ever may problema, you can bring it to the sellers and they will take care of it, as for contents, better look for the threads that discusses these stuff. medyo maselan pag usapan.  ;D

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:22 PM »
Since you plan on going BD (either stand alone player or PS3 or both), and possibly an NMT, I suggest you buy a FullHD capable panel?  Pero a 42" HDTV plasma will cost the same as the 50" EDTV plasma.  You might want to consider LCD if you'll be doing a lot of gaming, and 40" HDTV LCDs are slightly cheaper.

Ok.  Option 3 yun.  If you are limited to your 2 options, I vote option#2.

di naman sir weekend gamer lang ako pero most of the time movies trip ko. na isip ko na rin kasi yung 40" kaso sabi ko 32 na ako so 8 inch lang nadagdag baka maliitan ulit ako.

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:26 PM »
Para sa akin, kailangan mong tignan muna ang: (a) viewing distance and (b) native resolution.  Based on distance and resolution, diyan naka-base ang computation mo kung anong size ng TV nga ba ang bagay sa yo.

At ang computation naman ay based sa chart ni pareng Carlton Bale:

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

based dun sir sa chart kung 50 inch tv ko if i have a 5 feet distance from the tv pasok pa sya para ma notice ko yung 480p 720p at 1080p tama ba sir?

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 10:05 PM »
May 50" EDTV pa ba dito sa atin? AFAIK 32" (LG 32PC5RA) and the 42" Panasonic without TV tuner nalang ang available EDTV displays dito sa atin.

Oops, sorry my mistake in terminology.  HD na rin pala ang 720p sets.  Kapag HDTV, I always think Full HD, and anything less is EDTV.  My bad.   :-\

Offline ru$h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 11:13 PM »

much like eyo in vmall where lifetime ang loading..i think ehome does that also...ask richie :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM »
based dun sir sa chart kung 50 inch tv ko if i have a 5 feet distance from the tv pasok pa sya para ma notice ko yung 480p 720p at 1080p tama ba sir?

With screen size constant at 50 inches, this is how varying distances and resolutions affect the perceived picture as described by the carltonbale chart:

- at 5 feet away, you need 1080p.  If it's possible to go higher than 1080p, the highest useful resolution at 5 feet would be 1440p, since a resolution higher than that would look the same as 1080p at 5 feet. 

- at 10 feet away, 720p is the maximum useful resolution.  That's because 1080p would look the same as 720p at 10 feet.

- at 15 feet away, 480p, 720p, and 1080p would all look the same.

Sobrang lapit ng 5 feet viewing distance, pang-Tokyo homes na yata yon.  Horizontally from your head to your knees, around 2 feet na yon.  That leaves 3 feet between your knees and the TV.  Place a center table between your knees and the TV, wala nang taong makakaraan sa harap ng TV. 

In the Philippines, the usual viewing distance is 10 feet.  At 10 feet away, OK na ang 720p sa 50-inch screen. 

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM by barrister »

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
i'd go for option 2, mas maraming gears and sakto lang ung 42" para sa viewing distance mo. ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 09:32 AM »
I'll go with Option 1.  50 inch.

If you can afford to buy a 50 incher, in no time at all, you would be able to afford other gears.  Believe me, you would want to buy something bigger soon.   And 50 inch looks great in a 4m x 4m room.     You might end up selling the 42 at a loss. 

Simple guideline ng Panasonic for 1080p appreciation.

50 inch: 1.9 meters
46 inch:  1.7 meters
42 inch:  1.6 meters

These are minimum distances ne. Your room is 4m on one dimension.   So grabeng OKS kahit na 720p na 50 inch diba.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 09:52 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 01:49 PM »
I'll go with Option 1.  50 inch.

If you can afford to buy a 50 incher, in no time at all, you would be able to afford other gears.  Believe me, you would want to buy something bigger soon.   And 50 inch looks great in a 4m x 4m room.     You might end up selling the 42 at a loss. 

Simple guideline ng Panasonic for 1080p appreciation.

50 inch: 1.9 meters
46 inch:  1.7 meters
42 inch:  1.6 meters

These are minimum distances ne. Your room is 4m on one dimension.   So grabeng OKS kahit na 720p na 50 inch diba.

@clondalkin
we have the same feeling sir baka end up ko looking for a bigger tv. so meaning useless na mag 1080i or 1080p ako kasi because of my viewing distance? tama ba sir? hirap kasi ng tech stuff hehehe

@defjam
isa din yan sir sa naisip ko kasi sira na rin ps2 ko so opted to go for ps3 na

@barrister
thanks sir for the explanation

@rush
sir sino po ba si richie?

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 01:57 PM »
ill go for the 42 incher and other toys... baka malula ka sa 50 incher considering medyo maliit yung paglalagyan mo na room

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 02:29 PM »
@clondalkin
we have the same feeling sir baka end up ko looking for a bigger tv. so meaning useless na mag 1080i or 1080p ako kasi because of my viewing distance? tama ba sir? hirap kasi ng tech stuff hehehe

Why think of it as useless?  If you can afford a full hd panel and buy one, you have to make the most out of it.

1.  Use that as a PC monitor.  I sometimes connect my 50PZ800 to an HTPC set at full hd resolution.  AWESOME.

2.  Lumapit ka.  My viewing distance is just around 2m sa liit ng bahay.   My daughter even goes closer than that pag nandito (bata pa kase).  Nahihilo ako sa cine and sa dark room viewing pero hindi ako nahihilo or nalulula sa regular viewing situation ko. Also, pag nasanay ka sa smooth resolution ng 1080p, magiging sensitive ang eyes mo sa grid lines ng 720p - I guarantee you.   

3.  Have you ever watched those 1080p, 11mbps bitrate and higher files na between 10-16GB?  Legal or not, they can make any 1080p panel shine.

4.  Connect your SD card filled with family photo on a 50V 1080p.  HOLY COW!

If you have the budget for it, then go for it para hindi ka magsisi later and end up spending more on upgrades.  What's next after 50V 1080p?  58V, 65V 105V?  At least medyo malayo na yung susunod na leap diba so there wont be much of an itch.  Besides, 65V is really big for a 4m x 4m room and plasma PQ still looks best at 50V kahit malapitan. 

Back to your original choices.  You'll kiss me later if you choose the 50 inch.  Hindi naman problem yung budget diba?  Mas madali at mas matipid (eventually) bumili ng BD player or other gears later than upgrade your TV.  If I'm wrong, I'll give you some nice contents for free.  He he he.   
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 02:31 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline aiksgt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:07 PM »
Why think of it as useless?  If you can afford a full hd panel and buy one, you have to make the most out of it.

1.  Use that as a PC monitor.  I sometimes connect my 50PZ800 to an HTPC set at full hd resolution.  AWESOME.

2.  Lumapit ka.  My viewing distance is just around 2m sa liit ng bahay.   My daughter even goes closer than that pag nandito (bata pa kase).  Nahihilo ako sa cine and sa dark room viewing pero hindi ako nahihilo or nalulula sa regular viewing situation ko. Also, pag nasanay ka sa smooth resolution ng 1080p, magiging sensitive ang eyes mo sa grid lines ng 720p - I guarantee you.   

3.  Have you ever watched those 1080p, 11mbps bitrate and higher files na between 10-16GB?  Legal or not, they can make any 1080p panel shine.

4.  Connect your SD card filled with family photo on a 50V 1080p.  HOLY COW!

If you have the budget for it, then go for it para hindi ka magsisi later and end up spending more on upgrades.  What's next after 50V 1080p?  58V, 65V 105V?  At least medyo malayo na yung susunod na leap diba so there wont be much of an itch.  Besides, 65V is really big for a 4m x 4m room and plasma PQ still looks best at 50V kahit malapitan. 

Back to your original choices.  You'll kiss me later if you choose the 50 inch.  Hindi naman problem yung budget diba?  Mas madali at mas matipid (eventually) bumili ng BD player or other gears later than upgrade your TV.  If I'm wrong, I'll give you some nice contents for free.  He he he.   

well said sir!, so since yung 50pv80 is an HD ready tv lang so parang dapat yung 50py800 na ang bilhin ko para 1080p na talga?

Offline jepoy19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:21 PM »
Option 2 sir ;)
Matsucrapa Kailanman!
The Future Begins in Dreams!!

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:21 PM »
well said sir!, so since yung 50pv80 is an HD ready tv lang so parang dapat yung 50py800 na ang bilhin ko para 1080p na talga?

What I mean is, I dont think full hd Plasma is useless, especially at 50 inch size, considering the size of your room.  It's potentially a truly great set-up.    Kung kaya ng budget mo, I would strongly recommend it.    Kung gusto mo ng full HD plasma and magtipid, then find the equivalent of PZ80.   Same panel class.   Same contrast ratio.  You only lose that Hollywood gamut thingy which is no big deal after calibration,  less HDMI ports, no full glass surface (which could be an eyesore in a bright room - but nice to watch from the side), and cheaper quality speakers (kulang sa bass - but you have your HT anyway).  

Ang problem kase if someone has the budget, the itch is soooo strong.. So kung ayaw mong uminom ng Claritin or steroid, maximize your buying power.  Tutal, the 80 series is really a very very very very good Plasma.  Ang difference nya lang sa new 90 series in Japan is the built-in hard drive.

Kung limited ang budget to non-full HD but kaya mo pa rin ang 50V, I would choose the 50.  Ikaw rin mismo nagsabi. 2 years palang yung 32 mo, sawa ka na.  Kaya ka nagsawa, kase tingin mo maliit na for your room ang 32.  HDTVs somehow look soo big in a few week or so.   After that, normal na sya..hehehe.    Pero kahit mangati ka later to get even bigger than 50V, you'd have to make your room bigger first.  So hindi ka mangangati.  

Kung di mo need ang full HD plasma, maganda na ang PV80.  Hindi mo pagsisisihan ang quality ng model na to.  Yung (smaller) size ang puede mong pagsisisihan later.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:32 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:25 PM »
Whether you choose a 42 or a 50 now, you would certainly end up buying some kind of high def player anyway.   :)