Author Topic: Mkv files choppy  (Read 12475 times)

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Mkv files choppy
« on: Nov 19, 2008 at 02:55 PM »
Hi,

Im using:
Quad Core 6600
8800GT video card 512MB
asus p5k
2GB ram
windows XP SP2
virus scanner = off
monitor = HP 22" LCD
Resolution =1680 x 1050 x 60 hertz
Sound device = Name   Realtek High Definition Audio
No other programs running
CPU usage during playback = 25%
RAM usage = 889MB
Codecs: Klite / Haali Media Splitter / ffdshow video decoder / Directvobsub

Problem:
when i tried playing my mkv files (1080p) in my internal HD or external on my computer LCD 22" monitor using either windows media player or windows media player classic, my movies get choppy after about 30 secs then sometimes yung sounds. Parang hindi kaya ng processor or something. What could be the problem?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:00 PM by [joms] »
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mkv files choppy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:07 PM »
The content itself and/or the codec.  What's the bitrate of the content?  What's the encode class (5.1 or 4.1)?  Which group encoded it?

Try mo muna uninstall all codecs, then just reinstall the latest FFDshow and AC3 filter and check the result with MPC.  This worked for me -  and your processor is even more powerful.

Note the low CPU usage and yet stuttery playback.  So I still think that  GPU acceleration is more of a "myth".  There is really something about 1080p.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:09 PM »
Another theory,  I remember reading that the 8800GT has inferior high def video engine compared to 8600. 

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:21 PM »
im also using corevac pro pala. i remember i installed it before pero how do i know it is activated?

when i clicked properties it shows:

audio codec = AC3Filter
video codec = DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)

Im only using headphones by the way

How do i check its bitrate?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:28 PM by [joms] »

Offline jojitb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
is your ffdshow/coreavc updated?

You can check what codec it is using by right-clicking in the video window (while video is playing in MPC). click filters. You can see if it is using coreavc or ffdshow

to get the video bitrate, in MPC again, right click, click on properties (sa ilalim), details.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:42 PM »
How do i check its bitrate?

Download and install MEDIAINFO.  It will tell you all the details about the encode and all streams within the MKV container.

Based on my trials, CoreAVC is likewise a "myth" when it comes to 1080p - ang pangit pa ng picture quality compared to say FFDshow.  The most reliable accelerator is the CPU. 

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:46 PM »
Sir, how to update ffdshow/coreavc?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:56 PM »
Sir, how to update ffdshow/coreavc?

Delete the installed version.  Download the latest FFDSHOW (it gets updated so fast) and clean re-install.  That's it.

Psst.  check you reception tonight or tomorrow morning ne.   What are you doing in front of a PC.  Go out and enjoy the cool air and visit Bic Camera and Labi until 10pm.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:59 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
Meeting kami mag-hapon. Dito me sa nihonbashi. Grabe talaga mga hapon sagaran sa meeting ne. Makakapunta ka ba sa hotel ko?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
Meeting kami mag-hapon. Dito me sa nihonbashi. Grabe talaga mga hapon sagaran sa meeting ne. Makakapunta ka ba sa hotel ko?

I can already smell you from Toyosu.   You're barely 15 mins away.   He he he.  What a gorgeously bright, very blue sky and cool day today ne.  Sarap sanang mag-siteseeing nalang.  I sent you a PM.  Sorry OT.

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 08:50 AM »
Delete the installed version.  Download the latest FFDSHOW (it gets updated so fast) and clean re-install.  That's it.

Psst.  check you reception tonight or tomorrow morning ne.   What are you doing in front of a PC.  Go out and enjoy the cool air and visit Bic Camera and Labi until 10pm.

so you recommend that i just install FFDSHOW and not corevac anymore? san ba pwede ma download ynug FFDSHOW? ano anong decoders ang ok i install?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 09:19 AM »

so you recommend that i just install FFDSHOW and not corevac anymore? san ba pwede ma download ynug FFDSHOW? ano anong decoders ang ok i install?

Exactly.  I absolutely have no faith in CoreAVC.  Buti nalang mura, pero muntik na akong mapa-mura dahil no effect sa 1080ps.    Acceptable playback of 1080ps is not about reducing the load of the CPU, which is not at all stretched in the first place.

Keep the codecs at a minimum to avoid conflicts.   I personally dont like "packs".  The most powerful combination Ive tried so far is Media Player Classic and the latest FFDshow and AC3Filter.  That's all.   Any 1080p file where KMP and VLC fails, this MPC+FFD handles well.  Many of the so called 1080ps have bitrates higher than 11mbps and would be in the 10-16GB range, which at the moment are just about the most demanding files to play.  Any slight anomaly in your system would be magnified by these kinds of files (especially those with 5.1 level encode - 4.1 is much more efficient).  Only MPC+FFD can play that with my E6600 powered machine.  So kakayanin sigurado ng Q6600 mo if installed properly.

I dont know how often FFDshow gets updated. The updates are so frequent that it's always in Beta, but that's OK.   The so called "last stable final copy" is like years old already so dont get that.   Just google FFDshow and get whatever has got the newest date, BETA or not.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2008 at 09:37 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
pre tama ba etong link na eto in downloading the ffdshow program?

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
[joms] if you have a builtin vga, try and use it instead of your 8800gt .. so we can isolate the issue if its your 8800gt or something else ..
but my take on this is: its prolly software related .. follow clondakins advise, just use either kmplayer or mpc .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline thesaint

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 12:37 AM »
Lahat ba ng 1080P MKV mo choppy?
Yung hardware mo ay enough na pang 1080P...Sobra pa!!!
software/codec related lang yan...

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
In the interest of not making another new thread, I'll just post it here. Anyway, nobody answered my post in the other thread I made. http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=89130.0

Lets say bet. a (.ts) "REMUX" file that is 30 GB in size vs. a h264 .mkv file in 8.0 GB (both of the same movie) , which of the two will be more "stressful" to play on a system? 

Appreciate any answers.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM »
Lets say bet. a (.ts) "REMUX" file that is 30 GB in size vs. a h264 .mkv file in 8.0 GB (both of the same movie) , which of the two will be more "stressful" to play on a system? 

Appreciate any answers.

In my system running under Vista with E6600 and ATI HD4850, both are manageable but TS never exhibits any problem (playing under PowerDVD ultra).

In my system running under XP with Pentium D (Dual Core 3.0Ghz) and ATI HD3870, I can play .m2ts rips no matter how big, including original HD DVD (again using PowerDVD ultra) but 1080p MKVs are either choppy or experiencing intolerable A/V out of synch.

So based on my experience, I'd say 1080p is heavier - main reason being it relies mostly on the CPU power, while BD rips can somehow tap the power of the graphics card.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
Another theory,  I remember reading that the 8800GT has inferior high def video engine compared to 8600. 

8800GT, although very expensive, does not have hardware decode engine for HD contents ...talo pa sya ng 8600GTS na less than half ang price when viewing HD contents
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM »

Btw, both files are the same resolution: 1920x1080. Difference is, one file (.mkv) has been compressed using h264 while the other(.ts) is raw data rip from BD (with all unnecessary audio tracks and extra features removed).

.ts file info

File size   : 30.4 GiB
Duration   : 2h 32mn
Overall bit rate  : 28.6 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate  : 35.5 Mbps
=====================================
.mkv file info.

File size     : 7.95 GiB
Duration    : 2h 32mn
Overall bit rate   : 7 475 Kbps
Video Bit rate    : 6 380 Kbps

I would think .ts or even .iso (daemon mounted )should have no problems playback wise, since they are not compressed.  h264 require decompression which will certainly tax cycles from a cpu.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM by number1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM »
your sample 8GB is not high bitrate.   that's like hi level 720p.  that kind of range would not tax your system so much.

playback of BD rip requires that you meet certain hardware requirements. If you do, hardware acceleration combined with CPU power do the trick together.

Its not "the compression" that makes the movie heavy. If that is the case, then heavily compressed Avi should make a PC crawl.

Offline deo

• DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 01:35 PM »
Joms anong choppy ang ibig mo sabhin? I'm using WMC, na notice ko medyo may line sya na parag ginupit, pero di naman palagi lumalabas and tolerable naman ung imperfection. Pero it would be nice kung mawawal sya :-\

Offline jay_26

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
I suspect yung hard disk mo yung may problema. I have a 640gb WD green power and it took 3-4 minutes to copy a 4gb file. Pero nung tumagal tagal, it now took 20 minutes to copy a 4gb file. I tried to play it on our Popcornhour 110 and yung mga 1080p a files nagsttuter. Hindi ko pa sya nasubukan iformat dahil hindi ko pa nabbackup pero tingin ko tinamaan ito ng virus.  :-\

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:00 PM »
I suspect yung hard disk mo yung may problema. I have a 640gb WD green power and it took 3-4 minutes to copy a 4gb file. Pero nung tumagal tagal, it now took 20 minutes to copy a 4gb file. I tried to play it on our Popcornhour 110 and yung mga 1080p a files nagsttuter. Hindi ko pa sya nasubukan iformat dahil hindi ko pa nabbackup pero tingin ko tinamaan ito ng virus.  :-\
bro di virus yan .. mabagal talaga yung wd green  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:14 PM »
"
nVidia:
All GeForce 8xxx cards and IGPs except GeForce 8800GTS/GTX with G80 core.
All GeForce 9xxx cards and IGPs.
All GeForce 2xx cards.
"

these are nvidia cards that has DXVA hardware acceleration through MPC-HC.

Offline deo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 03:44 PM »
Mga sir, san pa ba pwede i configure ung audio/video sync problem ng mkv besides dun sa ac3filter ...na try ko i adjust dun sa system tab ng ac3filter..same issue. TIA! ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
bro di virus yan .. mabagal talaga yung wd green  :)

Ninja Bro, you'd be surprised that WD Green can be as fast than a Seagate 7200 rpm when connected via eSATA.  That should not be the case theoretically but thats what I have been observing.   I've seen 32MB WD Green reach 80MB/sec transfer speed sustained.   Siguro, dahil grabe init ang Seagate during operation/and idle compared to WD Green.

It seems the advantage of high spinning hard drive is during intermittent seek.  Mahilig kasing mag-intellipark ang WD Green kapag iniwan mong idle.

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009 at 07:48 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
Mga sir, san pa ba pwede i configure ung audio/video sync problem ng mkv besides dun sa ac3filter ...na try ko i adjust dun sa system tab ng ac3filter..same issue. TIA! ;D

Hello Blu Ray Deo. What's your PC specs?

Offline deo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 08:03 PM »
Hello Blu Ray Deo. What's your PC specs?

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Processor w/ HSF
Asustek M3N78-VM Motherboard
Integrated Nvidia GeForce 8200 GPU (256MB shared memory)
Hybrid SLI Support (Windows Vista)
HDMI (up to 1080p), DVI and D-Sub Video Connectors
VT1708B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC  w/ Optical Out
External SATA (E-SATA) Support
NVIDIA nForce built-in Gigabit MAC with external RTL8211CL-GR
Team Elite 4GB DDR2 800 Memory Module w/ Heat Spreader
Western Digital 640GB SATA-2 Hard Disk Drive
Lite-on 20X SATA DVDRW W/ Lightscribe

Nag reformat kasi ako eh. ung old settings ko wlang problema :( di ko na backup ung settings befor nag reisntall ng OS

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 08:21 AM »
Ninja Bro, you'd be surprised that WD Green can be as fast than a Seagate 7200 rpm when connected via eSATA.  That should not be the case theoretically but thats what I have been observing.   I've seen 32MB WD Green reach 80MB/sec transfer speed sustained.   Siguro, dahil grabe init ang Seagate during operation/and idle compared to WD Green.
It seems the advantage of high spinning hard drive is during intermittent seek.  Mahilig kasing mag-intellipark ang WD Green kapag iniwan mong idle.
had a few cases with wd green sold in questlogic (first batch sold) and if youre right, there is a chance that its a batch problem.  im actually wishing it is since its cheap and its green .. ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline joeyrodil

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
in my experience, installing klite codec when another codec is installed like Storm Codec etc, will cause an intermittent problem running of divX or a HD MKV file.

For Best practice, i only install Klite Codec as it covers almost all types of media i want to play.

do not do unto others what can you do for today