Author Topic: Marantz Receivers  (Read 269164 times)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marantz Receivers
« Reply #570 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 10:42 AM »
Thats considered low.

Try to upgrade to at least 1000kva or with at least 500watts sustained output power.

Offline cirrus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 10:44 AM »
ay di pala pwede,

thanks, i'll try to upgrade later
pero subwoofer muna  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 12:50 PM »
I agree with Philander but with some qualfiication.  I suggest you check the electric power consumption at the back of the sr4300 to be sure.  I suspect it wouldn't be more than 350 watts at full output.   So if you don't drive the receiver even close to full volume, your 300watt UPS may be adequate.  You can always try it out anyway, then upgrade later. 
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2004 at 12:51 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
thanks av_phile1

i usually listen at -10 db volume, pinakamalakas na ang 0db, the power consumption is 325 watts stated at the back. the unit is attached to two speaker only. adequate na po siguro ang UPS 300 watts for the mean time?
what do members think?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 02:44 PM »
thanks av_phile1

i usually listen at -10 db volume, pinakamalakas na ang 0db, the power consumption is 325 watts stated at the back. the unit is attached to two speaker only. adequate na po siguro ang UPS 300 watts for the mean time?
what do members think?

Power consumption of Marantz 4300 is 325watts. My point is, the specs rated in the AVR/UPS might be overstated and it cannot sustain for a long period the continues power consumption.

To be safe, both for you and your gadgets, its better to have more than (twice if possible) the rated specs. You'll never know, there are some explotions especially in HT/movies that might need lots of power. What more if you are using 4ohms load impedance speakers (another story though).

Be safe or be sorry?

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:34 PM »
thanks philander

i will definitely consider your suggestion for 1000kva, 500 watts, however for the mean time, which would be better, to plug it directly to AC outlet or use my 500kva, 300 watts UPS?

your insight will be highly appreciated.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:45 PM »
thanks philander

i will definitely consider your suggestion for 1000kva, 500 watts, however for the mean time, which would be better, to plug it directly to AC outlet or use my 500kva, 300 watts UPS?

your insight will be highly appreciated.

As per Av_phile1's, you may use temporarily your existing UPS but do not overpower, just use with normal listening level and do not go beyond 0 db (I'm using Marantz 4300 also).

Also, may protector naman ata yang UPS mo, fuse or something or a beeping sound when overpower is occured so you can turn down the volume immediately.

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:48 PM »
Also, may protector naman ata yang UPS mo, fuse or something or a beeping sound when overpower is occured so you can turn down the volume immediately.

yes, equip naman sya ng alarm that sound when the UPS is overloaded.

thank you very much sa mga info.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:50 PM »
Hi cirrus,

How's the performace of your Marantz if you try to increase the volume? Have you tried listening for more than 2 hours with about -10db in volume?

If I do this, you can't even touch the top panel of the receiver for more than 2 seconds because its too hot.

Also, Marantz consumes electricity even no signal are being process, try to turn on your Receiver alone in about -10db volume settings connected to at least 5 speakers for about an hour and check the temperature of the receiver, its too hot.

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #579 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:55 PM »
i have listen for i think 2 hours pero hindi naman sya ganun kainit, pwede syang hawakan pero di ka mapapaso. probably i have a good ventilation at home. may ceiling fan kasi na malakas ang hangin. or probably because it is connected to 2 speaker only?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 04:03 PM »
i have listen for i think 2 hours pero hindi naman sya ganun kainit, pwede syang hawakan pero di ka mapapaso. probably i have a good ventilation at home. may ceiling fan kasi na malakas ang hangin. or probably because it is connected to 2 speaker only?

Thanks.

Might be. I have AC in my room (what more if I dont use it). I connected it to 5 speakers with about 100 watts and 6-ohms load each.... kailangan ko pa ring tapatan ng electric fan.

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 04:07 PM »
Might be. I have AC in my room (what more if I dont use it). I connected it to 5 speakers with about 100 watts and 6-ohms load each.... kailangan ko pa ring tapatan ng electric fan.

i'll try it again later this evening and i'll provide my feedback tomorrow.

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #582 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 05:06 PM »
I used to have the SR4300, never had any problem with it even if it is just connected to a surge protector and not an avr. Once there was a fluctuation of electricity at our place while I'm listening. The SR4300 didn't even blink, it just sort of paused the sound then resumed normally. I usually have it set at -25db for my normal listening level, but the speaker levels were biased at 10db, for about 6 hours straight after office, everyday.

In comparison with my HK, the Marantz do become hotter, contrary to what I have expected with the HK being a high current amp.

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 05:22 PM »
To be sure, load will not go beyond 80% of UPS/AVR Power Rating....

sir av_phile1,

eto po ang output ng ups

Output power capacity     500 VA 
Output power capacity     300 Watts 
Nominal output voltage    230 V

dati po syang ginagamit sa desktop PC & printer

thanks

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 06:11 PM »
MY experience with Marantz SR-4300 madali nga siya mag-init especially when you are using 6ohm speakers. So ang ginawa ko I bought extra fan pinatong ko sa ibabaw ng receiver. Now I replace it with SR-6300 wala ng init (i mean normal na). Though umiinit siya wala akong na experience na problema.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 09:22 AM »
i tried the unit last night for two hours with my ceiling fan working, normal naman ang init. i mean pwedeng hawakan kahit matagl hindi ka mapaso.

then, i tried it again early this morning with ceiling fan turned off, normal pa rin. maybe because two lang ang speaker na nakakabit.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 09:27 AM »
The sr4300 i believe is rated for 6 ohms to 16 ohms.  If i recall right, the wharfedale diamonds that I had, while nominally rated for 6 ohms, exhibited a DC resistive load of less than 3.6 ohms when I measured them using a VOM. That's why the receiver can get hot with them.  I noticed the same inordinate heat from my previous Onkyo receiver with the same speaker load rating.  But pointing a small fan over them do make the heat dissipated tolerable. 
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2004 at 09:29 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #587 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 09:33 AM »
If i recall right, the wharfedale diamonds that I had, while nominally rated for 6 ohms, exhibited a DC resistive load of less than 3.6 ohms when I measured them using a VOM.

correct me if i'm wrong, is it mean that wharfedale is more near 4 ohms rather than 6 ohms?

Offline ras1842

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 10:59 AM »
seguro mainitin lang talaga ang sr4300.  I used to have the wharfes-ongkyo setup and I experienced a very hot on top.  I replaced it with sr4300 pero ganoon din ang nangyari.  Right now I'm pairing my B& W with 8-ohm speakers, pero ganoon umiinit din, very hot.  So i decided to buy fans placed on top and the problem is solved.  Pero, I'm getting unnecessary sounds emitted by the fans which is affecting dynamic range of my listening room because I have to raise my vol just to get rid of the sound of the small propellers.  So its not advisable for serious listening.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 11:09 AM »
Its really hot, I'm not kidding, you cant even touch the top panel for more than 2 secs and it fried my SAST DVD player (learned that in a hard way)....

But no effect whatsoever to sound and/or power.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 01:29 PM »

correct me if i'm wrong, is it mean that wharfedale is more near 4 ohms rather than 6 ohms?

Not entirely.  DC resistance or resistive impedance is the first thing an amp sees when idle.  It is the voice coil resistance.  Once the signals come in, you add the reactive impedances.  Together, a speaker's nominal impedance has a greater value than its DC resistance.  Impedance is DC resistance + reactance. 

A speaker rated with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms can have a DC resistance of 3 ohms or less.  While its reactance to varying frequncies can be as low as 5 ohms at 40hz to a high of 30ohms at 5khz.  So it would be correct to nominally rate it at 8 ohms if the reckoning done by the manufacturer is 3 ohms(DC resistance) PLUS 5 ohms (minimum reactance).

For some the DC resistance doesn't matter.  To some extent, it does to me.   A lower DC resistance indicates a minimum load the amp sees.  And will make the amp hotter especially if it doesn't like anything lower than 6 ohms - whether plainly resistive or with the added reactances. 

But don't  fret.  There's really not much of a problem if you drive a speaker with a resistive load of 4 ohms from a 6 ohm receiver provided that the other reactances add to the load when the signals come in which they always do.   The amp just gets a bit hotter than if you stick with a higher DC resistance.

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #591 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 03:06 PM »
av_phile1
thanks for the explanation

correct me again,

if your amp is plug in and does not providing any signal or is idle, the tendency is for the amp to get hotter because it only sees the resistive impedance which is lower than nominal impedance, because lower impedance is much harder to drive?

Offline drexx

• Apprentice
  • This posting is made from 100% re-cycled electrons
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
06Jun2004 (UTC -7)

I had the luck to check out a Marantz 9300v and compared it to a Rotel RTX-1067.  Although the Marantz had more features (and the THX certification), advertised to produce more power, and a US$800 higher price tag at a local store here, I experienced that the Rotel sounds much better. The Rotel sounded more spacious, more realistic, and clearer.

They demo'ed the same test CD music, straight-in (no processing of music) mode, and B&K speakers.
Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY
Pioneer DV-563A
Yamaha RX-Z9
NHT spkrs
PS2

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 05:23 PM »
av_phile1
thanks for the explanation

correct me again,

if your amp is plug in and does not providing any signal or is idle, the tendency is for the amp to get hotter because it only sees the resistive impedance which is lower than nominal impedance, because lower impedance is much harder to drive?

current will only pass through your speakers if there is voltage across your speaker terminals. no input voltage, no current and no power output. i do know that transformers have core power loss when the amp is idle.

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #594 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 08:45 AM »
Hi Marantz user, anyone of you guys are using or tried to use DTX 9.5T as your front speakers? How is it?

Is Marantz SR4300 will sound good with the said speaker?

Thanks...

8)

if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:32 AM »
av_phile1

When the amp is idle, theoretcially, it shouldn't be working at all to drive anything.  But...

In most commercial amps/receiver, there will always be idle current across the speaker load courtesy of the idle bias currents used in any Class A/B amp circuit configuration.  If you have a pure Class A amp, the idle current is about the same as when the amp is maxed out.  That's why class A amps seem to get hotter (same as when driven full) when no signal is there at comfortable listening levels. I think only class B amps have no idle current.  But they're hardly use in hi-fi.

So you reciever/amp will always have some idle current and voltage across the speakers.  The smaller the resistive load the closer it is to a short condition.  Ever try shorting the amp's speaker terminals with no signal?  (don't try this, however, either the protection circuit will engage or the rail fuses blows)

But you need not worry.  Inefficient power transformers account for most of the idle power consumed.  Add the small bias currents drawn by your transistors.  Idle power consumption is within 5% to 10% of rated electric power consumption with most commercial  receivers using commercial speakers out there. 

Offline cirrus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
sir avphile1, thanks for a very informative explanation.
dami ko nalalaman dito sa PinoyDVD.

to fellow member:

any comments or tips for a MS 906 and marantz 4300 combi...
thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:58 AM by cirrus »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #597 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:00 PM »
to fellow member:

any comments or tips for a MS 906 and marantz 4300 combi...
thanks

Basta Marantz at MS,  epektib yun lalu na for music.

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:47 PM »
Eh Marantz at DTX combo?
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Jun 23, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
If the Marantz can accept 6 ohm load, I don't see any problem.  If I recall right, the DTX slim series are 6 ohmers.