Author Topic: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer  (Read 407649 times)

Offline lgfan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer
« Reply #660 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 06:13 AM »
Guys,

Yung latest firmware ng Xtreamer ba na-disable na yung YouTube?  Wag na sana tanggalin.  :)
Youtube functionality is still in 2.1.3.  I doubt that they would ever remove that.   :)

8)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 at 03:47 PM by lgfan »

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #661 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 08:43 AM »
Youtube functionality is still in 2.1.3.  I doubt that they would ever remove that.   :)

Halos lahat kasi ng NMT nagco-comply na sa request ng Google na alisin ang YouTube functionality.  Tapos sabi sa website nila sa "next" firmware daw tatanggalin nila: http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer/features/live-internet-contetnt.aspx

Di ko lang alam aling version yung "next"... sana nga kunwari lang yun.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline zevenpac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: DTS on Denon 887
« Reply #662 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM »
I used an optical cable and some of my DTS files worked.  :)  Other files, however, are still not recognized by the AVR as 5.1.  :(

I will try to downgrade my firmware and test.

Downgraded FW to 2.0.2 but no luck.  :( Ibalik ko na ulit sa 2.1.3.

Offline newtype

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #663 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 03:41 PM »
Can you use an external DVD drive with this unit? Just checking...

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #664 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM »
Can you use an external DVD drive with this unit? Just checking...

Yes you can.

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #665 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 02:03 AM »
About to get an Xtreamer tomorrow... just one question in mind, though...

Wala ba talagang functionality na madi-disable kapag I use solely my external HDD, at di ko lagyan ng internal?  Kasi this way, I don't have to worry about fan noise and stuff.  Although I think without the fan, an internal HDD will do just fine... yun ngang external 2.5" wala naman din fan di ba.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #666 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 02:16 AM »
@Arnel
Unless you are interested with the bittorrent client that can be installed on the Xtreamer, then no Inter HDD will be ok and have all the functionalities. You will still have to live with the fan though as it is built in (to cool the whole system) (and an internal HDD just add heat to the system) unless you get the Xtreamer with XSC (Xtreamer Side Cooler) ;p

MaCMeL
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #667 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 08:35 AM »
About to get an Xtreamer tomorrow... just one question in mind, though...

Wala ba talagang functionality na madi-disable kapag I use solely my external HDD, at di ko lagyan ng internal?  Kasi this way, I don't have to worry about fan noise and stuff.  Although I think without the fan, an internal HDD will do just fine... yun ngang external 2.5" wala naman din fan di ba.

regarding the fan concern, it's not noisy or audible from the regular viewing distance ...and with the HDD, most are using external HDD because the larger drives are cheaper, and you should not loose any of the features
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009 at 10:47 AM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
Yes you can.

Ok. How does this work then? I mean can it also act as an upscaler dvd player?

Offline Reepicheep

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #669 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM »
My dad bought 2 units this morning. Thanks sir for the nice deal. :D

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #670 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
Anyone here experiencing 1080p/60 issues with the latest firmware?  Connected to an LG Scarlet LH70, I notice very minor (but still a bit distracting) flickering at regular intervals.  Other resolution settings are OK.  And then when I do resolution switching on the fly, then go back to 1080p/60, everything works fine for a while I think, then eventually problem comes back.

I hope this is firmware-related, and not the hardware.  And I'm sure it's not the TV coz the WDTV Live works perfectly on this same setup, same resolution settings.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 12:26 PM »
Ok. How does this work then? I mean can it also act as an upscaler dvd player?

No need to do anything.  Just play your movies and they'll be automatically upscaled to the Xtreamer's output resolution.

Offline jungie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #672 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 04:13 PM »
No need to do anything.  Just play your movies and they'll be automatically upscaled to the Xtreamer's output resolution.

if i just play a standard dvdrip (avi file) would the output on the xtreamer be way clearer and crisper???

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #673 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 05:30 PM »
if i just play a standard dvdrip (avi file) would the output on the xtreamer be way clearer and crisper???

Yes it will. That's what an upscaler does.

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 06:23 PM »
Although I think upscaling varies in picture quality depending on the upscaler (some use some complex interpolation while some simply double the pixels, on extreme ends), it seems the Xtreamer delivers good PQ in this regard.  I dunno if it uses special logic when upscaling, but whatever it is, the output is good enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this upscaling is done natively by the Realtek chip?  Coz when I compared with WDTV Live (uses Sigma chip) there were some noticeable differences in the PQ when upscaling SD material.

Offline HaRdTab

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #675 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 12:22 AM »
hi bitstream,

in terms of hdd size dimension.... what is the biggest capacity hdd that can fit inside the xtreamer...
if i am right, 1TB 2.5 hdd is thicker than 640GB & 500GB hdd...

thanks

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #676 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 12:35 AM »
hi bitstream,

in terms of hdd size dimension.... what is the biggest capacity hdd that can fit inside the xtreamer...
if i am right, 1TB 2.5 hdd is thicker than 640GB & 500GB hdd...

thanks

640GB is currently the largest-capacity HDD that can fit in the Xtreamer. However, 500GB drives give the best ratio of  cost-per-gigabyte.  You are correct; the 1TB (and the 750GB) 2.5" HDDs are currently thicker than the 500/640GB models.

An internal drive eliminates the clutter of an additional USB cable and external power adapter; it also gives you portability.  My opinion:  most of us will never have enough storage capacity. I highly recommend installing an internal drive (so that the Xtreamer will always have a source of content), and getting an external drive which can be detached if necessary.

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #677 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 07:58 AM »
Got my Xtreamer last week. So far so good. But occasionally experience hanging. Anybody have similar experience? I already upgraded to the latest firmware.
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #678 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 02:17 PM »
So far so good here.  My Xtreamer never crashed or anything close to that yet.  I've been watching 720p videos that are 6 GB filesize on average, no problem.  I tried a few 1080p (or is it 1080i?) BluRay rips as well, also flawless.  It seems the Realtek chip is powerful enough and seems that it never overheats either (and I have its fan set to Off always, since the room is A/C'd anyway).

Offline andrei

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 10:46 PM »
was trying to upgrade the firmware to 2.1.3 but it's been over 10 minutes and the upgrade won't proceed.

nagreboot yung xtreamer and is stuck sa splash screen (yung xtreamer logo). the indicator is just blinking. Im tempted to turn it off and on kaso baka ma-brick. any suggestions?

thanks!

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #680 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 11:39 PM »
was trying to upgrade the firmware to 2.1.3 but it's been over 10 minutes and the upgrade won't proceed.

nagreboot yung xtreamer and is stuck sa splash screen (yung xtreamer logo). the indicator is just blinking. Im tempted to turn it off and on kaso baka ma-brick. any suggestions?

thanks!

Just turn it off and try again.  "Bricking" doesn't happen as often as you may imagine - especially if the update process isn't taking place to start with

Try using a different USB stick.  If that doesn't work, try downloading the firmware update again.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
xtreamer strange issue
« Reply #681 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 03:03 AM »
I have a strange issue that I hope you guys can bear with me as I explain it.

I also posted this in the main xtreamer support forum but wanted a pinoy touch since mas madali makipagusap sa sariling kapwa :)

1st here's the equipment list in question (you can click on the link to get specs).

1. LG 42LH50YR - similar to U.S. version LH50 series sans the internet connectivity
2. Denon AVR-1610 Receiver
3. Xtreamer with firmware 2.13

I ONLY use HDMI cables for connecting all of these.

Here's my 1st setup

Xtreamer -> LG TV

It works absolutely a-ok. Picture and Audio all work smoothly whatever media I play on the xtreamer.

Once I got the AV Receiver hooked up here's my 2nd setup.

Xtreamer -> Denon AVR -> LG TV

Here's where it gets weird.

I dunno if everybody is aware, but newer HDMI compliant AV Receivers supports HDMI control and pass through even on standby. This basically means one DOESN'T HAVE to always have the AV Receiver ON if one doesn't want to.

My wife and kids aren't videophiles so when they use the xtreamer to watch content, they just turn on the TV and sound+video will still pass through the AVR even on standby.

Here's the problem....

IF I power on the setup in this order;

1. Power up the TV
2. Power up the Xtreamer and play content.

Here's what happens...

- Xtreamer will send video + audio to TV even if content is Stereo/DTS/DD5.1

3. Power up the AVR

- All content played on xtreamer will only be recognized by the AVR as PCM(Stereo) only, no more DTS/DD5.1.

Still with me?

Here's what happens when I power up in this order...

1. Power up the TV
2. Power up the AVR
3. Power up the Xtreamer

- Xtreamer will no longer send audio to the TV. Only Video
- AVR will detect all content properly (DTS/DD5.1) and play

If I power OFF the AVR, the sound is still missing on the TV requiring me to reboot the xtreamer just to get sound back.

I can also replicate the above situation by playing with the Digital Out options in the xtreamer under Settings > A/V

If I set Digital out to DTS MA / Dolby TrueHD 2

- All content will be recognized by AVR as Stereo only (even content with DTS tracks) but will pass audio back to TV once AVR is turned off.

If I set Digital out to DTS MA / Dolby TrueHD 5.1

- All content will be recognized by AVR (DD5.1/DTS) but all audio will be lost from TV until I again reboot the xtreamer.

Hope you guys can shed some light on this...

Thanks and more power.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: xtreamer strange issue
« Reply #682 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 07:59 AM »
not a techie, but will try to answer your questions:

Xtreamer -> Denon AVR -> LG TV

Here's where it gets weird.

I dunno if everybody is aware, but newer HDMI compliant AV Receivers supports HDMI control and pass through even on standby. This basically means one DOESN'T HAVE to always have the AV Receiver ON if one doesn't want to.

My wife and kids aren't videophiles so when they use the xtreamer to watch content, they just turn on the TV and sound+video will still pass through the AVR even on standby.

Here's the problem....

IF I power on the setup in this order;

1. Power up the TV
2. Power up the Xtreamer and play content.

Here's what happens...

- Xtreamer will send video + audio to TV even if content is Stereo/DTS/DD5.1

3. Power up the AVR

- All content played on xtreamer will only be recognized by the AVR as PCM(Stereo) only, no more DTS/DD5.1.

Still with me?

i think what happened was, normally, by playing your xtreamer + tv + avr, we had the xtreamer bitstream the audio signal to the avr (the avr doing the decoding) thus the resulting audio is either dd/dts, but when your wife and kids power up only the xtreamer + tv, its the xtreamer now doing the decoding of the audio for tv output, and once you turn on the avr into the chain, the xtreamer is still doing the decoding of audio, that is why the avr will show lpcm/multichannel instead of dd/dts if the avr is doing the decoding.

i think electronic equipments now are made like computers that once changes are made within the chain whether its firmware or hardware, a cold restart is needed to initialize everything up or else the whole system will act up, sometimes it works without restarting but more often, it wont. that is why the plug and play and hot swappable concept in computers are really improving how these components react to one another but still not perfect.

Here's what happens when I power up in this order...

1. Power up the TV
2. Power up the AVR
3. Power up the Xtreamer

- Xtreamer will no longer send audio to the TV. Only Video
- AVR will detect all content properly (DTS/DD5.1) and play

If I power OFF the AVR, the sound is still missing on the TV requiring me to reboot the xtreamer just to get sound back.

here the reverse happened, powering all three had the avr doing the decoding, but by powering off the avr. the xtreamer thinks its still the avr doing the decoding hence no audio is being fed directly to the tv since part of the chain is on standby now.

but as i said, not a techie, some of our more experience members here might have a better explanation.

:D :D :D

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2010 at 08:31 AM by iiinas »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #683 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 08:21 AM »
Excellent points Kagawad Iinas. 

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #684 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 10:09 AM »
i second the comments of iinas
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #685 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 01:02 PM »
I get it...

Thanks mucho for the explanation :)

I'll probably try a workaround then...

I'm thinking of adding an optical from the xtreamer straight to the AVR and see if that'll work.

Offline jungie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #686 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 01:33 PM »
in using external dvd drives will it play a dvd movie disc directly?

and also would it be possible to access shared dvd drive in a wifi networked pc? this way i could unhook my dvd player and just use the xtreamer nalang...

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #687 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 02:20 PM »
in using external dvd drives will it play a dvd movie disc directly?

It will not play genuine DVDs and Blu-ray discs because the xtreamer doesn't have the license to play them.

It will play backups though.

and also would it be possible to access shared dvd drive in a wifi networked pc? this way i could unhook my dvd player and just use the xtreamer nalang...

Yes this will work. As long as your PC recognizes the disc in the drive, then the xtreamer should play it.

Offline jungie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #688 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 02:42 PM »
Yes this will work. As long as your PC recognizes the disc in the drive, then the xtreamer should play it.

uhmmm if i place a dvd movie in the pc dvd drive still it wont be able to play it rite?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #689 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 02:44 PM »
Yes... it will treat it as data (with PC filesystem) so you go to the Video_TS directory and it should play like a backup.