Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 272866 times)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #300 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
I'm selling these units guys, i have a shop at trinoma called theater works. Personally i dont have a unit like this for myself (how i wish  ;D), mine is 50pv70 lang. Pm me nalng for the price baka ma ot ako dito. hehehe.. :)

Nemesis;

Hate to be makulet but do I understand from your post above that meron ka na nitong TH-42PV700U 42-inch Plasma?  Can you PM me the price?  Thanks.

Oh wait!  Let me sit down first.   ;)

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:05 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #301 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:42 PM »
Basing on my experience, and my year observation of various Plasma panels, I do agree that even with the 1080p resolution of LCDs (Sony has one on sale) the Plasma do have a better video quality than the LCDs,however, that will also limit the plasma good only for 1:85 WS viewing, whereas the LCD can serve as a monitor for your desktop, Gaming and withstand station IDs for tele viewing.

The truth is,because of numerous posts extolling the Plasma, I was about to get one of those Panasonic 1080p, until I realized that the major problem with a Plasma, is that once the panel gets compromised (gas as opposed to the LCD's liquid crystal) I doubt that the plasma panel is as cheap as the LCD panel(that seems to be in abundance nowadays) hence, for practical reasons,and versatility in function, LCD will ultimately become the everyday man's choice.

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #302 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:45 PM »
Actually, I think burn-in is still very much around.  PC World's article makes references to it (burn-in) for one.

Last year alone (Aug 2006), I was still thinking of getting a Hitachi plasma, salesguy even said it has a new anti-burn-in feature similar to what you are describing below....that each pixel was being color cycled every 2 seconds, etc...  So,  he showed me the unit that was probably playing the same movie 8hrs x 7days.  It had black bars at the top and bottom.  So I asked the salesguy to display a totally white image.  Sure enough, there was a darker shade of white at the top and bottom.   ;D  He  had no explanation except that there was another feature that could wipe it off...will take two hours.   ;D  No thanks, I told him.

@ericag_ph, nowadays there is no burn in for plasma's. That was the issue long before (1st gen -4th gen 2000-2004) The plasma now is on 10th gen already, and what they have now is called whitewash, its like a wiper that goes every second when you play a film, pc or games. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:51 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 01:14 PM »
maraming article sa internet says plasma is not susceptible to burn-in.

Burn-in on a new generation plasma is unlikely, but it is still a possibility.  What is more likely is image retention ("IR"), a temporary condition, as ditinguished from true burn-in, a permanent condition.

The plasma brand most resilient to burn-in and IR is Panasonic. 

kasali kaya ang burn-in issue sa one year guaranty? ... wala pa akong nakita guaranty certificate ng Panasonic that says guaranty screen from burn-in.

No plasma manufacturer warrants against burn-in, not even Panasonic. 

The LCD camp believes that there is no such thing as a burn-in proof plasma panel, not even the new generation Panasonics.  That's why they rightly ask: If new generation plasma panels are no longer susceptible to burn-in, why is it that until now, burn-in is still excluded from all plasma warranties?   ;)

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 01:23 PM by barrister »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #304 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 01:32 PM »
I'm selling these units guys, i have a shop at trinoma called theater works. Personally i dont have a unit like this for myself (how i wish  ;D), mine is 50pv70 lang. Pm me nalng for the price baka ma ot ako dito. hehehe.. :)

@ericag_ph, nowadays there is no burn in for plasma's. That was the issue long before (1st gen -4th gen 2000-2004) The plasma now is on 10th gen already, and what they have now is called whitewash, its like a wiper that goes every second when you play a film, pc or games. :)

sir may I ask have you compared side by side or in anyway picture quality on the panasonic 50pv70 versus the samsung 46m81? Which is better? I do quite a lot of gaming..Thanks

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #305 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
Actually, I think burn-in is still very much around.  PC World's article makes references to it (burn-in) for one.

Last year alone (Aug 2006), I was still thinking of getting a Hitachi plasma, salesguy even said it has a new anti-burn-in feature similar to what you are describing below....that each pixel was being color cycled every 2 seconds, etc...  So,  he showed me the unit that was probably playing the same movie 8hrs x 7days.  It had black bars at the top and bottom.  So I asked the salesguy to display a totally white image.  Sure enough, there was a darker shade of white at the top and bottom.   ;D  He  had no explanation except that there was another feature that could wipe it off...will take two hours.   ;D  No thanks, I told him.

uuggghh thats not good..I think I will pass nga on the plasma..Of course my opinion/choice lang..

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
May issue paba about dead pixels yung LCD?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
I do quite a lot of gaming..Thanks

A lot of gaming means that LCD will be a much better choice for you.

Yes, definitely.  :(
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:24 PM by barrister »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #308 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
Kung wala ng burn-in ang mga newer generation plasmas, why the need to break-in the unit for 100hrs?

in my case sinabihan na ako ng no need to break-in kaya lang it would not hurt if I do, peace of mind lang  ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 03:02 PM »
In my case, I have a Hitachi 9500 plasma.  Very satisfied customer so far.   I do gaming and watch lots of cable with channel IDs like star, HBO, solar etc.   There's image retention but goes away after a few minutes.   No burn-in so far.  I would gone on to buy a 37in 68e series by Tosh (which has excellent reviews), but was persuaded by the very good deal with the Plasma.

I would have gotten a 32in LCD too (the Tosh being offered by Nemesis) for my toddler for those educational, barney stuff, but has since changed mind after attending a parenting seminar advising parents to ban TVs for toddlers 3 years below  (uy....this might be another topic for discussion) ....... ;D ;D

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 04:36 PM »
i was wondering, i heard lcd won spoil our eyesight, wat abt plasma?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #311 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 05:18 PM »
Plasma vs LCD... vs OLED?

Sony's coming out with the first commercially produced OLED TV this December...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2190726,00.asp

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • HT noob :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 06:21 PM »
^ ang liit naman nun, 11 inches pa lang  ;D
Online basketball:
www.cyberdunk.com?ref=26170

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
having new tech like oled is good for us. more price drops for lcd and plasma  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
^ ang liit naman nun, 11 inches pa lang  ;D

Oo nga naman.  11 inches is way too small.  As early as May 2005, meron nang 40 inch OLED prototype ang Samsung.   

The most problematic characteristic of OLED is the limited lifetime of its organic materials, especially the blue LED.  Duda ako sa 30,000 hour lifespan claim.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 07:28 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #315 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 08:32 PM »
Hmm...I'm drooling here! Have to save up more...more...more... :(

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Kung wala ng burn-in ang mga newer generation plasmas, why the need to break-in the unit for 100hrs?

Sir lahat ng electronic naman meron break-in bago hatawin parang kotse yan. Before you calibrate use the unit to its full potential, ika nga sa speakers lalong tumatagal lalong gumaganda ang tunog. ;)

Any of you experience or saw a panasonic unit on display that has a burn??? so far yung ginawa ko sa mall of asia (old version 8 gen units) bowling lanes yun ang tagal tagal puro numbers lang naka post palagi dun wala naman ng yari. Sa airport at sa mga restaurants ok pa din its been 3 yrs na up and running w/o burn-in. Advertising propaganda ng lcd group yan and it is still being use as of today, its the only thing they could use against the plasma. I'm selling both units ke ma lcd or ma plasma yung tao, perahas yan may brake-in. Hope this answers your question. ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
sir ano po tong whitewash? meron ba nyan sa pv70? tnx

From pv60 up lahat meron sir. ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:35 PM »

Dami parang xmas lights, madami na din mabebentang lcd now kasi xmas na eh... hehehe.
meron on sale for mga lcd that has more than 7 dead pixels, it will be release soon (Branded lahat) kasali si pareng sammy, toshi at sonny. ;D Pannel na kasi ang sira and its unrepairable unless you would purchase another pannel for it. ;D Si panny meron na din gumawa kasi ng lcd eh..hehehe :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:13 PM »
Sony's coming out with the first commercially produced OLED TV this December...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2190726,00.asp

May galit talaga ang Toshiba sa Sony:

Toshiba to Ship OLED TVs in 2009
Following Sony, Toshiba plans to begin selling TVs with OLED screens as soon as panels are ready.
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:00 AM PDT

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137935-c,tv/article.html

========================================================

Consumer Reports tests flat-screen televisions
Last Update: 10/01 9:51 pm 

"Consumer Reports says the best picture any television has ever delivered was a 50-inch plasma, Panasonic's model number TH-50-PZ700U."

http://www.kjrh.com/content/news/franchises/segment2/story.aspx?content_id=6474f673-8bd7-4a7b-8860-c8d490eb5ff4
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:19 PM by barrister »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 07:44 AM »

The reason to have a 100 hour break-in is to condition the phosphors. Plasma phosphors are most susceptible to image retention in the first hundred hours of use, especially when the plasma was initially set at higher level of contrast. It is therefore advisable initially (during first 100 hours) to tone down contrast levels, and avoid watching TV with of fixed or static image for a long period. If the user had followed certain 100 hours break-in guidelines, chances are his plasma panel becomes considerably less sensitive to burn-in after this period.

No doubt about it, the new plasma is still susceptible to burn-in.  However, giving your plasma a little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward. The 100 hours break-in is your ticket to prevent the possibility of image burn-in. As it says, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 02:47 PM »
I have no plasma so I don't know but is "breaking-in" or "aging" mentioned in the instruction manual?

All sellers (in Japan) whom I'v talked with says it's not necessary.

I know I didn't have to break-in my 37-inch Sharp LCD 2 years ago, and the 32-inch Sony CRT HDTV 4 years back.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 02:51 PM »
From pv60 up lahat meron sir. ;)

tnx sir! ano po ba yun built in feature na? or yung parang nakikita ko sa ibang panels like sa movie houses yung parang may white sweeper ba yun?

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 03:55 PM »
LCDs no need to break in lar my fren....

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 07:34 PM »
Does the plasma units have a timer to know how many hours it have been used? If not, how do you log the time when breaking-in a plasma TV? And while breaking-in the plasma TV, does it have a limit to the number of hours it is turned ON continuously? Can I just leave it ON for 4 days continuously so I can be done with the break-in period faster?

The reason to have a 100 hour break-in is to condition the phosphors. Plasma phosphors are most susceptible to image retention in the first hundred hours of use, especially when the plasma was initially set at higher level of contrast. It is therefore advisable initially (during first 100 hours) to tone down contrast levels, and avoid watching TV with of fixed or static image for a long period. If the user had followed certain 100 hours break-in guidelines, chances are his plasma panel becomes considerably less sensitive to burn-in after this period.

No doubt about it, the new plasma is still susceptible to burn-in.  However, giving your plasma a little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward. The 100 hours break-in is your ticket to prevent the possibility of image burn-in. As it says, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Offline Flyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I feel the need...the NEED for SPEED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 09:42 PM »
About the 100hrs burn-in issue for plasma, here's what i've been doin so far w/my 42PV70H...

- Im using the DVD break-in on a playback loop w/Pioneer DV400s
- Equally lowering down the standard settings..all @ 35
- Power save is on, volume @ NIL too just to save a little bit of Kw (dunno if this has effect though  ;))
- Continuously running from 9PM - 7AM

Since the plasma is in our room, it saves us more time & electricity during the break-in period due to the fact that the aircon is also running overnight. I dont need to set a different schedule to break-in the plasma & at the same time turning-on the aircon for good ventilation in our room. I've just finished 70hrs on my break-in & will reach the magic "100" by saturday morning..perfect timing for a good old sat night HD viewing. BTW, what I've been doing are all based on what I read over the web & a few tips from my friend PCHIN. Which means, for all those who will try to do the same...I can not guarantee that the results of my break-in would be the same as yours so in case somethin bad happens during & after the break-in of your unit..pls dont ask for my unit to replace yours...hahaha...peace bros & good luck...just my 1 sentimo..

;D
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2007 at 09:54 PM by Flyboy »
I feel the need....the need for speed...

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #326 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 11:07 PM »
Does the plasma units have a timer to know how many hours it have been used? If not, how do you log the time when breaking-in a plasma TV? And while breaking-in the plasma TV, does it have a limit to the number of hours it is turned ON continuously? Can I just leave it ON for 4 days continuously so I can be done with the break-in period faster?

My unit (panasonic 42PV70) has no timer to keep count of burn-in hours. What i do is write down on a piece of paper the number of hours I watch TV everyday. Usually a a maximum of 2 hours on weekdays, and maybe twice as much on weekends. Thats why, one month after buying the unit, I only have around 50 hours of use. ;D

i'm trying to figure out how to use the DVD break-in referred to above, but i prefer to watch movies or cable tv. that way, i also get to enjoy the break-in period. i've watched more moves on my tv the past month, than all the first 8  months combined so it's a nice feeling. finally had the chance to watch all the unopened dvds i have.  :)

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
actually, wat are the benefits of break in?  ???

i was watching a 2.35:1 movie yesterday, alexander, for 2 hours, now i got serious image retention  :o hopefully it will go off by today

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
same here for break in period of my 50pv70 i just leave in on a cable chanel n just set to zoom1

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #329 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 03:20 PM »
bro pwede ba mag break in using dvd title with 1.85 widescreen resolution or cable viewing ang tamang pag break-in.
About the 100hrs burn-in issue for plasma, here's what i've been doin so far w/my 42PV70H...

- Im using the DVD break-in on a playback loop w/Pioneer DV400s
- Equally lowering down the standard settings..all @ 35
- Power save is on, volume @ NIL too just to save a little bit of Kw (dunno if this has effect though  ;))
- Continuously running from 9PM - 7AM

Since the plasma is in our room, it saves us more time & electricity during the break-in period due to the fact that the aircon is also running overnight. I dont need to set a different schedule to break-in the plasma & at the same time turning-on the aircon for good ventilation in our room. I've just finished 70hrs on my break-in & will reach the magic "100" by saturday morning..perfect timing for a good old sat night HD viewing. BTW, what I've been doing are all based on what I read over the web & a few tips from my friend PCHIN. Which means, for all those who will try to do the same...I can not guarantee that the results of my break-in would be the same as yours so in case somethin bad happens during & after the break-in of your unit..pls dont ask for my unit to replace yours...hahaha...peace bros & good luck...just my 1 sentimo..

;D

bro nice tip sa pag break in :D, question pala regarding pioneer dv400, does it upscale to 720p/1080i using
component video?

thanks

He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!