Author Topic: The American Idol Thread  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: The American Idol Thread
« Reply #90 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 06:26 AM »
i think dun sa Idols Africa... the magic number before 32 was 64... so it baka i-trim down from the 107 down to 64.

No, it's not 64. I know how many it is. I didn't mention the number since it's a surprise in that episode.  ;)

i also remember na may change na rin dapat ang point tabulation... i think the judges' choices will have a 50% effect on the outcome

I kind of remember from the Idols forums that this was only done in South Africa, and they received a lot of negative feedback for it. Ryan Seacrest already said that from this point, the judges are just here "for moral support, it's YOUR SHOW now, America." Unless you're just referring to the Wild Card show. I'm not exactly sure how they choose those last 4 contestants.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2004 at 06:28 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 06:41 AM »
No, it's not 64. I know how many it is. I didn't mention the number since it's a surprise in that episode.  ;)I kind of remember from the Idols forums that this was only done in South Africa, and they received a lot of negative feedback for it. Ryan Seacrest already said that from this point, the judges are just here "for moral support, it's YOUR SHOW now, America." Unless you're just referring to the Wild Card show. I'm not exactly sure how they choose those last 4 contestants.

ah ganun ba? hindi 64? surprise huh?.... OooooOooOOhhh! very interesting.  ;D

yeah. ur right... i seem to remember medyo hindi nga maganda feedback dun sa idols africa. so they scrapped that idea huh?... oh well, it was a nice idea while lasted.

ANG TAGAL NAMAN NG TUESDAY!!!... BTW, i have downloaded william hung's performance for my own personal pleasure (bwa ha ha ha!)... nakakatuwa talaga sya panoorin... i especially loved his facial expression when simon stopped his singing...  ::)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 10:07 AM »
BTW, i have downloaded william hung's performance for my own personal pleasure (bwa ha ha ha!)

Ako rin!!!!!!! ;D

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 03:24 PM »
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2004 at 03:25 PM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline MiniCooper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 09:20 AM »
don't forget to vote for Camille Velasco in todays American Idol 3. Support our fellow Pinoy!

Offline aklan4ever

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
You can vote for Camille if you are in the US for the next two hours (thru 11pm pacific time). Text the word VOTE to 5707 or call 1-866-436-5707.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 01:39 PM »
i saw will hung's audition video last night at star world.  this guy is so funny, he may not be an american idol material but he can have a spot in showbiz.

he humbly apologized to the judges for "not having any professional training", to which simon replied, "NO??!?!"

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 01:41 PM by diesel »
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 04:40 PM »
I'm glad that yesterdays episode on Star World shows some memorable moments and dami kong na miss.  I was specially shock to see one guy actually getting physical with Simon and throwing a glass of water at him.  Ang takot ni Miss Abdul siguro lol!

The best talaga si William Hung, he BANGS talaga! LOL!  Also love the guy who sung Ain't No Mountain High Enough.  Pinoy kaya siya?. hahaha

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 04:43 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 04:48 PM »
a bit of a shock when crystal (from hawaii) didn't make it...  i personally thought  she was way more talented than some of those who got through in the other cities. i guess it was the shirt... this is a lesson for crystal: "no one likes a brown-nose! and anyway crys! simon's not the ONLY judge."  i just hope they pick her up for the wildcard show... cause if anyone deserves it... she sure does. ;D

the fireman was okay... pero come on. he's not that great a singer... tumama lang talaga yung kanta sa kanya.

that model who auditioned was h-h-h-h-HOT! (and has an AWESOME PAIR OF ... lungs.) :P
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 09:17 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 07:21 PM »
I agree.  It's very hard to please Simon so I was surprise that Simon liked her and the two judges Paula and Randy disagreed.  I think it has something to do with the shirt also.   I like the cheerleader who made it thru, nice rendition of an old song.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 07:22 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 09:20 PM »
go camille velasco! i hope this girl makes it to the top twelve (but hey! winning the whole thing ain't bad either!). her look reminds me of an early joy enriquez. and her voice... very distinctive. (medyo limited nga lang songs na makakanta nya... i'm willing to bet she has a limited range.)  :-X
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 09:21 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 09:43 PM »
watched ET kanina... William Hung's gotten voice lessons courtesy of ET... and he is actually better now. lol.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Feb 18, 2004 at 11:27 PM »
ooooh, confirmation about Camille's filipino heritage from ET.

Adding a little international flavor to the third season was Philippine-born CAMILE VELASCO, who now resides in Hawaii and goes by the nickname Koy. The 18-year-old is a waitress at the International House of Pancakes.

she works in one of my favorite restaurants.  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004 at 11:32 PM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 06:48 AM »
I read somewhere that there's gonna be an AI special? Uncut, Untalented something....and Will Hung will be there? Totoo ba to? ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 08:30 AM »
yeah i heard that mentioned sa ET rin..

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 05:05 PM »
http://members.cox.net/newhomes/William02.wmv --- Will Hung, shaking his bonbon.  He needs dance lessons more than he needs singing lessons. ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 09:57 PM »
just caught on fox news that william recently rejected a record deal offer... unfortunately, i caught the news story too late and didn't get to hear which label it was.  ;)

lucky guy! (told ya he didn't need to join, or even win, american idol. LOL.)  ;D

SUPER BITIN YUNG EPISODE TODAY! AAAAARGH! i didn't even see camille or jasmine. a bit shocked at "big matt"! he can really sing pala!  ;D

that mandy moore look-alike is so full of herself... i loved her tammy faye moment in the elevator! bwa ha ha ha!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 10:13 PM »
They actually skipped an entire episode. "The Road to Hollywood," the one where they show more auditions of those who made it to the final 107... and a few bad ones. I'm guessing they might show that back to back with the "American Idol: Uncut, Untalented, Uncensored" special that airs in the States on March 1. If they had aired it tonight, their half-hour Tuesday/hour-long Thursday schedule would've been screwed up - they'd end up in the wrong rotation.

For those watching in the States... Woohoo! Camile got in, with the most number of votes, and in the #1 position with all judges. And they all think she's the next Lauryn Hill - the ultimate compliment.

Go, PHILIPPINES!  :)

Other than her, that was a really bad set of 8. Nagkalat talaga sina Bri and the Roman brothers. What was up with singing a boy band song???

Didn't like the choice of Matt Rogers, either. Lisa was robbed!
[/END SPOILER]
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2004 at 10:18 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 10:29 PM »
They actually skipped an entire episode. "The Road to Hollywood," the one where they show more auditions of those who made it to the final 107... and a few bad ones. I'm guessing they might show that back to back with the "American Idol: Uncut, Untalented, Uncensored" special that airs in the States on March 1. If they had aired it tonight, their half-hour Tuesday/hour-long Thursday schedule would've been screwed up - they'd end up in the wrong rotation.

For those watching in the States... Woohoo! Camile got in, with the most number of votes, and in the #1 position with all judges. And they all think she's the next Lauryn Hill - the ultimate compliment.

Go, PHILIPPINES!  :)

Other than her, that was a really bad set of 8. Nagkalat talaga sina Bri and the Roman brothers. What was up with singing a boy band song???

Didn't like the choice of Matt Rogers, either. Lisa was robbed!
[/END SPOILER]

cool that means 5 episodes behind na lang ang mga nanonood sa star world. was really surprised at the "disrespectful" contestant... sayang. mukhang magaling pa naman pero bastos. it was nice to see that simon can put aside his initial impressions and give credit where credit is due. (but that girl needs a personality overhaul.)

in a way, i'm glad that 16 year-old john is still in... while i think he's too young, i like his sportsmanship. and i'm sure america will looooove him. he looks like he just stepped out of a norman rockwell painting.

a little shocked that girl with the song about her "now gay" ex-boyfriend didn't make the cut. i thought she did pretty okay.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 11:38 PM »
I always thought it was only a matter of time before Pinoys/Pinays would come and rule this show like no other ethnic group, except maybe blacks. Talent and looks? We may be poor and bankrupt but we don't have a short supply of those. Go mga kababayan!

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 12:40 AM »
Camille iyakin !!!

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 01:47 AM »
I think that WIlliam Hung's "she bangs" performance is all a big JOKE!!!! even him being there to begin with is a BIG JOKE.... siguro sabi nila sige palusutin natin ito kahit walang ibubuga para me ipalabas silang nakakatuwa! ;D

anyways, GO CAMILLE!!!! :D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 02:11 AM »
I think that WIlliam Hung's "she bangs" performance is all a big JOKE!!!! even him being there to begin with is a BIG JOKE.... siguro sabi nila sige palusutin natin ito kahit walang ibubuga para me ipalabas silang nakakatuwa! ;D

anyways, GO CAMILLE!!!! :D

yeah. i suspect that as well... but the joke is one the american idol producers... by giving william hung airtime, they have inadvertently given the world a guy everyone LOVES!!! ha ha ha... the big winner here is william.  ;D

p.s. i was watching an old episode i taped and i was surprised to find out that camile spells her name with one "L" lang pala. ha ha ha... i've been spelling her name wrong all along!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2004 at 02:12 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 07:04 AM »
Browsing  the official AI website's forum, here is what one said about Camille being Fil/Hawaiian/American:

You folks do realize that saying someone is Hawaiian is like saying someone is Californian, right?   And that people in the Phillipines are American as well, right?

And some of them don't even know Hawaii is a US State! :o

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 12:07 PM »
Browsing  the official AI website's forum, here is what one said about Camille being Fil/Hawaiian/American:

You folks do realize that saying someone is Hawaiian is like saying someone is Californian, right?   And that people in the Phillipines are American as well, right?

And some of them don't even know Hawaii is a US State! :o

ha ha ha! not a big surprise there... some kids i met when i was there a long, long, looooong time ago (i notice mostly from the central states) even think that all filipinos wear g-strings and feathers in their head (typical ifugao attire!) or that the entire philippines looks like boracay! i guess kasi that's all they see on TV.

BTW, aside from camile, there's also jasmine trias. i don't seem to remember her from the auditions. is she any good? wala bang pinoy guy who was good na sumali?  :-X

i just caught the last replay of last night's episode and MY GAS!!! briana is sooooo BUTCH!!! LOL.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 01:06 PM »
some kids i met when i was there a long, long, looooong time ago (i notice mostly from the central states) even think that all filipinos wear g-strings and feathers in their head (typical ifugao attire!) or that the entire philippines looks like boracay!

When I was there a long, long time ago (too), I was telling a long story, and my aunt's friend was staring at me in disbelief, and she asked, "How did you learn to speak English so good???"

I resisted the urge to tell her I didn't speak it good, I spoke it well.  ;D

BTW, aside from camile, there's also jasmine trias. i don't seem to remember her from the auditions. is she any good?

I don't think they've shown her at all yet. We'll have to wait and see.

wala bang pinoy guy who was good na sumali?

I still think the Romans are part Pinoy, since during the semifinals, Ryan Seacrest made it a point to pronounce Noel's name in the Pinoy way, "no-WELL". Plus their family member in the audience looked 100% Pinoy. Maybe he was a half-brother.

But seeing their performance, I don't think anyone can call them "good".  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 09:14 PM »
When I was there a long, long time ago (too), I was telling a long story, and my aunt's friend was staring at me in disbelief, and she asked, "How did you learn to speak English so good???"

I resisted the urge to tell her I didn't speak it good, I spoke it well.  ;D

exactly... i actually WENT to their public school and answered questions from the kids. (medyo pinilit ng tita! he he he.) and the teachers were quite surprised how well i spoke english. :P

I don't think they've shown her at all yet. We'll have to wait and see.

ok. akala ko i blinked and missed her altogether. ::)

I still think the Romans are part Pinoy, since during the semifinals, Ryan Seacrest made it a point to pronounce Noel's name in the Pinoy way, "no-WELL". Plus their family member in the audience looked 100% Pinoy. Maybe he was a half-brother.

But seeing their performance, I don't think anyone can call them "good".  ;D

i think they might be half latino tho... the big shock for me was how many of those who got in the top 117 (and eventually 87) were already parents... i think jesus has 2 kids already! same with that "proud mary" gal, (may anak na rin sya!)... and she's only 19! grabe!  :o

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 09:16 PM »
oh yeah... the record company that offered william hung a record contract was koch records... but william politely declined.  :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 11:01 PM »
Here's a long story about the William Hung phenomenon, from MSN. I think the link expires after a day or two, so I'm reposting the whole article. Sorry about that!

He's a loser, baby!
But William Hung, ‘American Idol’ reject, found fame anyway[/b]
by Jesamyn Go

William Hung’s try-out, a spirited, if tuneless, rendition of Ricky Martin’s “She Bangs,” was icily received by the show's three-judge panel.

After suffering through Hung's 90-second tryout, during which he shouted the song's chorus and failed miserably at imitating Ricky Martin’s gyrations,Hung was interrupted by famously acerbic judge Simon Cowell. “You can’t sing, you can’t dance, so what do you want me to say?” asked Cowell.

“I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all,” Hung replied. His hilarious effort — as well as his earnest response — quickly gained him fans. Although he was bounced from the show, the 21-year-old now has a cult following.

Soon after his tryout aired on Jan. 27, Hung received about 150 e-mails from resourceful fans who looked him up in a student directory at UC Berkeley, where he is a civil engineering student. The first and most comprehensive of many Web sites spotlighting him, William Hung.net, sprang up and received 4 million hits in the first week.

Video files of his performance were uploaded and forwarded all over the Internet, making William the latest in a line of Web cult heroes, not unlike the “Star Wars Kid,” the Quebec teenager who filmed himself twirling a golf ball retriever like a light saber.

Soon, audio mixes of Hung's singing was arranged to OutKast’s “Hey Ya!” and Howard Dean’s infamous “I have a scream” speech. They’re played all over the Internet and even have garnered play on some California radio stations.

Then came the apex of idolatry: Two weeks ago, Hung was spoofed on Saturday Night Live by Jimmy Fallon.

Now, Hung is basking in his goofy international fame: Enter “William Hung” on eBay and you’ll get over 50 different items that bear Hung's image, from caps and notebooks to T-shirts — and people are bidding. His fan base stretches all the way to Asia, where he was invited to perform at the MTV Asia Awards.  Don Chin, manager of William Hung.net says his site, which isn't associated with Hung, gets plenty of fan mail and even love letters meant for the singer. The Web site even has a special section called “Marry Me, Will!”

Hung is now keeping busy on the talk-show circuit. Entertainment Tonight took him to LA's Fantasy Studios for voice lessons with Eric Veto, voice-coach to stars like the GooGoo Dolls.

On the Ellen DeGeneres Show, Hung had the chance to perform four songs, adding Martin’s “Shake Your Bon Bon” and Enrique Iglesias’ “Bailamos” to his repertoire. DeGeneres even joined him on a duet of Elton John’s “Rocket Man,” helping out when Hung appeared unsure of the lyrics.

Fox is capitalizing on Hung’s popularity as well. Producers announced a special American Idol show “Uncut, Uncensored and Untalented,” scheduled to air March 1, and is using footage of Hung's now-infamous audition to promote the episode.

On Wednesday, Hung performed at UC Berkeley’s men’s volleyball game, where he received a $25,000 check from the Fuse music channel and a record offer from Koch Entertainment. If he accepts, Hung will be in good company, the Koch Entertainment stable of talent includes Ringo Starr, Montell Jordan, and the Bangles. The deal reportedly includes a music video that will air on Fuse.

What is it about Hung that has caught America’s eye?  When asked this by MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, Hung said he thought people responded to his “attitude and charisma,” regardless of the quality of his performance.

Fan site manager Chin thinks it’s Hung's personality that people respond to. “He’s just very real," Chin said. "He doesn’t care whether he’s fashionable or not. He has a really good time performing, and he really gives it his all, just for the love of it. I think his joy is really infectious.”

Nigel Lythgoe, executive producer of “American Idol,” told Entertainment Tonight that it was great to see the nation embracing a loser. “That is fantastic to me because not everybody in this life can be a winner,” Lythgoe said. “To celebrate a loser is fantastic!”

But some say Hung is walking a fine line between entertainment and mockery.

“About one percent of the e-mails I get are concerned that people are making fun of William,” said Chin. “But I think he’s happy with who he is, and he likes making people happy with his performance. It’s just such a breath of fresh air how his video clip just makes people smile —young or old.”

For now, Hung is overwhelmed by the attention. School is still his priority, and he has enlisted his father’s help in managing all the media appearances.

Music is still his long-term goal, though. During the audition, Hung said that although his civil engineering studies are “totally not related to music,” he someday aspires to make his living through the craft.

To that end, Hung is taking singing lessons and has joined a university choir. He’s also reading Cowell’s book about becoming a pop star, “I Don’t Mean to Be Rude, But…”

Although his audition has led to all this attention, Hung still would have traded it all for a chance to have advanced through the American Idol finals.

“If I did get to the final and actually get to [perform] to the audience, to America, I think it would probably be more, not less, in terms of fame,” he told MSNBC.

He may get his chance yet —  petitions to bring Hung back as a wild card contestant are now at over 70,000 signatures.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 02:37 AM »
Here's a long story about the William Hung phenomenon, from MSN. I think the link expires after a day or two, so I'm reposting the whole article. Sorry about that!

He's a loser, baby!
But William Hung, ‘American Idol’ reject, found fame anyway[/b]
by Jesamyn Go

i just enjoy seeing william hung basking in his 15 minutes in the spotlight... it's so nice to see good things happen to someone as likeable as mr. hung.  ;)