Author Topic: Warner Mid-Year Markdown  (Read 58532 times)

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Warner Mid-Year Markdown
« Reply #90 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 01:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

.. if you want to release titles in barebones/low quality print better price them at P70 each..since its no better than the pirated ones :-*

That's a good idea. Same lang naman ng laman! hehehe

Offline subtitle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Jul 06, 2005 at 06:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been away from this forum for quite some time now due to my busy schedule of being a 1st time dad.  ;D  Anyway,  have anyone seen stocks of Goodfellas?  I've been to Astro Glorietta and Big R Metro east, out of stock daw.

SM Megamall Astroplus still has some copies.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #92 on: Jul 07, 2005 at 10:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been away from this forum for quite some time now due to my busy schedule of being a 1st time dad.  ;D  Anyway,  have anyone seen stocks of Goodfellas?  I've been to Astro Glorietta and Big R Metro east, out of stock daw.

Astro SM Edsa Annex has one left. I got the other one  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2005 at 08:46 AM by vtec3 »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #93 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 02:43 PM »
Bought So Close at P299.  It was clearly stated in the DVD cover at the back Audio in English.  When I played it, the choices under audio were only Mandarin and Cantonese.  And the the supposed to be fullscreen seems to be zoomed in from the widescreen version.  During the starting credits, the titles and some letters are cutoff on the sides not to mention the uuugghh bad picture quality.  I lasted 5 minutes and just shut it off.   I was conned!  What a rip off! >:( >:( >:(

The problem here is, I bought the DVD two weeks ago and I dunno if I can replace it with another title..... :-\

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 08:46 PM »
Bought So Close at P299.  It was clearly stated in the DVD cover at the back Audio in English.  When I played it, the choices under audio were only Mandarin and Cantonese.  And the the supposed to be fullscreen seems to be zoomed in from the widescreen version.  During the starting credits, the titles and some letters are cutoff on the sides not to mention the uuugghh bad picture quality.  I lasted 5 minutes and just shut it off.   I was conned!  What a rip off! >:( >:( >:(

The problem here is, I bought the DVD two weeks ago and I dunno if I can replace it with another title..... :-\

as long as you have a receipt,  dapat pwede. thats false advertising. threaten to sue dem kung ayaw nila. :)

if you used a credit card, kahit wala ka receipt astro should have a record of your urchase  on  their c omputer. i returned  my SUPERMAN 1 defective disc using this mehod even without a receipt.

btw,  is SO CLOSE warner? im assuming its magna. hahaha
good luck! let us know.  :)
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 10:37 PM »
have bought AI for 350... it was a really good buy.

i have plans to buy THX 1138, i heard great reviews about it. is it worth it?!

thanks for the info about Interview with a Vampire, muntik ko ng bilin the other day.

how about yung The Perfect Strom? ok ba yung picture and sound!?!?!?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #96 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 01:29 AM »
Re Interview, the R3 version uses the same widescreen transfer as the old R1 widescreen/fullscreen flipper. If you can wait, this title is due for an SE version soon.

Is this different from the second R1 release that had the commentary and retrospective documentary?

Darn... mado-double dip na naman ako niyan... luckily I passed on the initial release, or else it would've been a triple dip...

Teka... it is a triple dip, since I just remembered I actually bought this film on laserdisc>:(

;D
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2005 at 01:31 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 03:39 PM »
The back of the box (Interview with the Vampire) says it's a dual-layer disc.  Isn't this false advertising?  I wonder if Astro will allow me to exchange this one for something else?

Why are they being cheap on us if they're trying to get us used to buying non-pirated dvds?  I could easily walk 10 minutes from where I'm living and pick up this same title for P70 for the same quality.  At least make it worthwhile for me to drive 30 minutes to the mall and pay 5 times the amount.  I haven't bought p*rated dvds for more than a year now, but man, if Resident Evil Apocalypse is where the future of dvd here is heading, we might as well go back to our favorite dvd p*rate joint.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 04:08 PM »

how about yung The Perfect Strom? ok ba yung picture and sound!?!?!?

Got this a long time ago when it was not on sale.  All i can say is that the surrounds are very active, especially during the storm scenes ( which is about 90% of the movie  ;D) where your subwoofer willl really get some workout.   Excellent transfer, mostly dark if I recall but still detailed.   This is another great value for 299.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #99 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 09:02 AM »
called up astro-plus podium yesterday for some business matters. The one on the phone informed me that their having a sale this coming friday. I am in a hurry that I forgot to ask for details.
Is there anybody here that can confirmed this? TIA

Offline greg

• Collector
  • YEHEY!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 10:19 AM »
called up astro-plus podium yesterday for some business matters. The one on the phone informed me that their having a sale this coming friday. I am in a hurry that I forgot to ask for details.
Is there anybody here that can confirmed this? TIA

i guess this will be their participation on the coming 3day sale for this pay day weekend :)
SPINWEB
"Moving businesses online."
http://www.spinweb.ph/

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
The Notebook-  Another P299 ripoff.  Every chapter there is a slight pause usually experienced in layer changes of DVD-9 discs!  I dunno if it is just my copy or all the releases have this problem.  Anyone?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 06:00 PM »
as long as you have a receipt,  dapat pwede. thats false advertising. threaten to sue dem kung ayaw nila. :)

if you used a credit card, kahit wala ka receipt astro should have a record of your urchase  on  their c omputer. i returned  my SUPERMAN 1 defective disc using this mehod even without a receipt.

btw,  is SO CLOSE warner? im assuming its magna. hahaha
good luck! let us know.  :)

thanks sir.  I will try to return it if I have the time.....as Mojo Jojo would say.....CURSES!!! >:(

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 11:28 AM »
i guess this will be their participation on the coming 3day sale for this pay day weekend :)

Are they gonna bring down the Fox and Disney titles to Php 333 (like in the past sales) for the 3-day sale?

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 01:00 PM »
i just arrived from astro podium and there is no sale

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
If you guys are planning to go to the Podium Astro sale, you might want to change your mind.  I just came from there and was disappointed.  It's not a huge sale.  There's one rack that is marked P375.  The next rack is the P350.  Then the P299 stuff that we already saw on other Astro/Tower (Spiderman, Notebook, Badboys, Riddick, etc.).   Then the P199 crappy stuff.  Then the rest of the DVDs are in the P450 to P895 range.  Disney stuff still regular price.  James Bond DVDs are P350 except the Living Daylights which is P299.  Living Daylights is the newest Bond flick they have left.

If you're looking for the 2-disc Spiderman, there's one available in the far back corner.  It's P650.  They have 2 version of Legends of the Fall.  The newly released P299 single-sided disc and the P375 dual-sided disc.  You might also want to be careful with Terminator 3, there's the P299 single-sided disc and the P650 2-disc edition.

Not worth the trip unless you're in that area already.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #106 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 02:36 PM »
If you guys are planning to go to the Podium Astro sale, you might want to change your mind.  I just came from there and was disappointed.  It's not a huge sale.  There's one rack that is marked P375.  The next rack is the P350.  Then the P299 stuff that we already saw on other Astro/Tower (Spiderman, Notebook, Badboys, Riddick, etc.).   Then the P199 crappy stuff.  Then the rest of the DVDs are in the P450 to P895 range.  Disney stuff still regular price.  James Bond DVDs are P350 except the Living Daylights which is P299.  Living Daylights is the newest Bond flick they have left.

If you're looking for the 2-disc Spiderman, there's one available in the far back corner.  It's P650.  They have 2 version of Legends of the Fall.  The newly released P299 single-sided disc and the P375 dual-sided disc.  You might also want to be careful with Terminator 3, there's the P299 single-sided disc and the P650 2-disc edition.

Not worth the trip unless you're in that area already.

Yap, went there also. Waste of time. No good titles on sale except for those warner 2 disc slipcases which are also available on other stores.

Offline Asktig

• Apprentice
  • Don’t always listen to what you’re told...think!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 04:38 PM »
Yap, went there also. Waste of time. No good titles on sale except for those warner 2 disc slipcases which are also available on other stores.
sigh! napagod lang ako. :'( :'( :'(

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #108 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 04:54 PM »
There is a sale, but limited to Fox titles only. Please refer to this thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2005 at 04:55 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
Once Upon a Time in America
« Reply #109 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
I have both Enter The Dragon SE and Once Upon A Time IN America.  I have yet to watch Enter though.  OUTA  is a visual delight especially in widescreen TVs.  Excellent transfer though with a few film grains and artifacts. But the colors are just as rich and saturated as in the Godfather. Audio isn't a 5.1 showcase but the Ennio Moriconne music is well worth the P350 for me(more melodic and sentimental than the Godfather themes)  It has many flashbacks interspersed with the present time in the film but it's not confusing.  It is less an action film than a nostalgic trip to early 20th century american gangsterism. 

If you like mafia films, this title is a must have, together with Goodfellas and the Godfather boxset.  Robert de Niro shines in all these films (except Godfather 1 and 3 where he isn't there.) I would say any of these tiltes would be a definitive screen presentation of the American Mafia.

OUTA was originally a 10-hour film paired down by Sergio Leone who  intended a two 3-hour segmented films. But he had to further cut it to 3 hours and 15mintues for the final theatrical run.  Expect a special director's cut DVD with restored cuts in the future.   ;D

Does this new version of Once Upon a Time in America split the movie/main feature between the 2 discs?

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #110 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:15 PM »
Does this new version of Once Upon a Time in America split the movie/main feature between the 2 discs?

Yup, the movie is split between the 2 discs. Worth buying for the Moriconne score as av-phile mentioned. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
Yup, the movie is split between the 2 discs. Worth buying for the Moriconne score as av-phile mentioned. ;D

Oh, so parang Godfather II, Lawrence of Arabia Superbit or the LOTR Extended Editions?

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 11:51 AM »
Oh, so parang Godfather II, Lawrence of Arabia Superbit or the LOTR Extended Editions?

ypu. I highly recommend this one...

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 07:54 PM »
I don't know.  Not a fan of splitting the movie across 2 discs.  Obtrusive ba yung place where they split? Although I guess useful siya for bathroom breaks!  ;D

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
I don't know. Not a fan of splitting the movie across 2 discs. Obtrusive ba yung place where they split? Although I guess useful siya for bathroom breaks! ;D

C'mon man for P350 this is a steal.  And oh yeah, I did use the split for a bathroom break only to learn that there was another intermission in Disc2. No regrets here. ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 12:38 PM by seph1018 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 01:55 PM »
I personally prefer splitting a movie over 2 discs rather than fit it into one disc with compromised video bit rates.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 01:56 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
C'mon man for P350 this is a steal.  And oh yeah, I did use the split for a bathroom break only to learn that there was another intermission in Disc2. No regrets here. ;D
Ah so it really is like Lawrence of Arabia where the theatrical showing had an actual intermission.  Yun nga lang hindi nila hinati yung content ng discs dun sa actual intermission

Offline subtitle

• Collector
  • W
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 07:02 PM »
I personally prefer splitting a movie over 2 discs rather than fit it into one disc with compromised video bit rates.

according to this IGN review of Once Upon A Time in America, the movie is split into two single-layer discs, but it could have easily fit into one dual-layer disc.

i can't confirm if this is the case for the region 3 release. i bought this title also, but i have not opened it yet.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 09:12 PM »
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA:

I've seen a 2-disc P-DVD (China) version, presumably copied from R1.  The Philippine R3 is a censored version.
Congratulations, Warner Philippines. You now have the dubious distinction of being the distributor that released the first and only censored DVD in the Philippine market.

At the R3 hearse scene (chap. 28 at 97 mins.):

1.  There's a delibrate frame error - the picture is framed higher to hide the woman's pubic region.
2.  The woman's boobs were censored with a Gaussian Blur filter.

To those who can compare the R3 and R1 versions, please confirm because I think there are other censored scenes.  Please tell us about the peeping tom scene and the rape in the car.

Ayoko na talaga ng R3.   Mas maganda pa siguro yung China P-DVD.  Mas sulit ang R1 kahit mas mahal.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 11:32 PM »
Napansin ko, bumababa nga ang presyo ng dvd, pero bumabagsak naman ang quality.

When I started buying DVDs, there was no such thing as a DVD without an insert.  Ngayon, magkaroon lang ng insert ang binili mong dvd, tuwang-tuwa ka na!  ::) ::) ::)