Author Topic: New NAD A/V Receivers  (Read 37786 times)

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re:New NAD A/V Receivers
« Reply #60 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 12:55 PM »
redkoji,

do u have the t772 nad?  what the the specs and how much??

thanks
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline raycor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 12:45 AM »
 :)  anyone who owns the T762, is this model of NAd really great in music? kindly pm me how do you rate this receiver, any encountered problems or weakness of it pls let me know cause I am planning to own this model, Sellers are also welcome, thanks..

Offline raycor

• Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 12:49 AM »
Sir redkoji,
      available na po ba yung T763? what are some added features against the T762? thanks.. :)

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #63 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 10:01 PM »
Guys,

Just want to share this.

NAD's Disclosure about there amplifiers'/receivers' power supply/reserve.

Somewhat informative.

http://www.nad.co.uk/power/

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2003 at 05:16 PM »
magkano ba yung t762?  ty

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Nov 08, 2003 at 10:32 PM »
for all NAD fanatics, you can also check out discussions on NAD receivers at this very informative site:

eCoustics website

xXx
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #66 on: Nov 09, 2003 at 07:48 AM »

NAD's got good and bad reviews sa Ecoustics though.

HAWK and John A. are the leading gurus there. They keep on pushing NAD.

NAD is good though di mo dapat matyambahan iyong mga units nila na may mga defects.

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 10:54 AM »

NAD's got good and bad reviews sa Ecoustics though.

HAWK and John A. are the leading gurus there. They keep on pushing NAD.

NAD is good though di mo dapat matyambahan iyong mga units nila na may mga defects.

Thanks for your comments on NAD, however we see this unfit for the said brand.

Previously NAD came here in the Philippines thru various sources...since they have not appointed any Distributor. The reason that they have not assigned any because most of those who are applying, cannot comply with the quality standard set b NAD.

As per our operation of NAD Distributor, only one model we have a problem with and this is the NAD T752. Due to wrong programing in one chip installed in that model. This has been corrected.

Like any other great brands, such as Mercedes Benz in cars, or Boeing in airplanes and Sony Ericsson in Cellphone, there are times that even you subject the unit to various test..may lalabas pa rin problem.

We apologized if there those customer experience this inconvenience but its a temporary problem and not the rule.

Currently we can attest that NAD quality standard are one of the highest in the industry. We don't want to mention other brands who have problems much worst than ours due to ethics reason....one thing we can say, if there are problems in NAD products...let us know and we shall solved it.

Offline green

• Apprentice
  • Demon Llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 10:12 AM »
Hello pinoydvders...

My first post here...

I have been lurking in the forum for about a week now. I stumbled onto this site just as I am planning my HT setup purchase.

I was seriously considering a Marantz or an Onkyo purchase to fullfill my receiver needs. These are the two brands that I have really heard extensively (my dad has a Marantz SR8000 setup with boston accoustics speakers and my officemate has an Onkyo 494 setup with Cambridge cube speakers) and I really find no fault with them.

Reading all the praises that NAD has been getting in this forum (as well as other forums), is making me consider buying a NAD instead of a Marantz or an Onkyo.

Another thing pulling me towards the NAD are your comments regarding the quality of the sound of the receiver. I do not claim to be an audiophile, but when I listen to music, the greatest joy comes to me when I can hear each and every instrument being played at a level the sound engineer intended it to be played.

Sorry for the long introductory post... here are my questions.

Amidst all the praises that NAD owners have fro their current line of receivers, there have been a fair share of horror stories (especially with the T752) ranging from clicking sounds when adjusting the volume, volume rising to +18dB when changing sources, and OSD/LCD displays going crazy. Can current NAD owners share their experiences with this? Have you experienced these problems? If so, what has NAD or its local distributor done to correct the problems?

Another question would be what speakers would go well with the NAD? I'm looking at Monitor Audio's Bronze series because of the rave reviews they have been getting from the resident audiophiles. If not the Monitors, what would be good alternatives, Wharfedale? Missions? B&W? PSB? Please include the specific models also in your recommendations. Budget for speakers would be about 20K (for fronts and center only, I have an old pair of Canton speakers that are hardly used that I plan to use as the surrounds of the setup).

Also a recommendation on an active sub would be great. Room to be used is about 10 - 14 sqm.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a big investment on my part so I need all the info I can get  to be able to make the smart purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers! ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 10:24 AM »
Have no fear. Studio Systems has great customer service, and will ensure you get a good unit. No I don't work for them, just have a happy experience with their service. I encourage them to continue this. I think the 752 is good value for money. In your list of speakers, the one that gets universal acclaim is the MA B2.

Happy shopping and listening!

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 10:28 AM »
Hello pinoydvders...

My first post here...

I have been lurking in the forum for about a week now. I stumbled onto this site just as I am planning my HT setup purchase.

I was seriously considering a Marantz or an Onkyo purchase to fullfill my receiver needs. These are the two brands that I have really heard extensively (my dad has a Marantz SR8000 setup with boston accoustics speakers and my officemate has an Onkyo 494 setup with Cambridge cube speakers) and I really find no fault with them.

Reading all the praises that NAD has been getting in this forum (as well as other forums), is making me consider buying a NAD instead of a Marantz or an Onkyo.

Another thing pulling me towards the NAD are your comments regarding the quality of the sound of the receiver. I do not claim to be an audiophile, but when I listen to music, the greatest joy comes to me when I can hear each and every instrument being played at a level the sound engineer intended it to be played.

Sorry for the long introductory post... here are my questions.

Amidst all the praises that NAD owners have fro their current line of receivers, there have been a fair share of horror stories (especially with the T752) ranging from clicking sounds when adjusting the volume, volume rising to +18dB when changing sources, and OSD/LCD displays going crazy. Can current NAD owners share their experiences with this? Have you experienced these problems? If so, what has NAD or its local distributor done to correct the problems?

Another question would be what speakers would go well with the NAD? I'm looking at Monitor Audio's Bronze series because of the rave reviews they have been getting from the resident audiophiles. If not the Monitors, what would be good alternatives, Wharfedale? Missions? B&W? PSB? Please include the specific models also in your recommendations. Budget for speakers would be about 20K (for fronts and center only, I have an old pair of Canton speakers that are hardly used that I plan to use as the surrounds of the setup).

Also a recommendation on an active sub would be great. Room to be used is about 10 - 14 sqm.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a big investment on my part so I need all the info I can get  to be able to make the smart purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers! ;D

Thanks for your inquiry for our product. Well the only thing we could do to you is have it demo the NAD within your room. We can arranged that if you like. Though we carry speakers like Klipsch and Definitive, we recommend for starters for you to use your existing Canton.

We think NAD is capable in giving life to your Canton speakers. If after the test and your still not satisfied with the sound, then that the time we will set it up with our brand of speakers or buy new one speaker brand that you prefer

Offline green

• Apprentice
  • Demon Llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 10:43 AM »
Slowhand,

Thanks for the assurance. Now all I have to do is audition the NAD...

redkoji,

Thanks for the offer, it would be great to audition the NAD at home but the house is still in disarray as we are just currently moving in. Maybe auditioning it in your showroom would be better.

Also did you see the PM that I sent you?

Cheers!

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 05:01 PM »
You're welcome green.

But you really shouldn't pass up an offer to audition at home. I had to be patient as we were moving in, and waited for the dust to settle a bit. Nothing like auditioning at home, for up to a week or more if you can. Only then can you really say if you like it.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 07:42 PM »
wow...  :o

a home audition... i wish i had this chance when i was looking for a receiver upgrade 4 months ago.

bihira po itong offer na ito!
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2003 at 07:42 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 09:29 PM »
yes, bihirang-bihira... alam ba ninyong sa ibang bansa lang nangyayari 'to (ie: US, Canada, Australia, ...)?...  :P
karamihan ng pinoy hobbyist yan ang pinapangarap dito sa pinas.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2003 at 10:44 PM by yukon »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 09:33 PM »
the nadt752 is the receiver i use, its really good for music and ht, 3 lang yata kaming me ganitong receiver d2 sa pinoydvd hehe

Offline green

• Apprentice
  • Demon Llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 08:47 AM »
slowhand, akyatbundok, yukon...
Maybe I should audition it at home... hmmmm...

It's just that the wifey used my prospective A/V room as her temporary tambakan of stuff that hasn't been taken out of boxes yet.

Anyways... i'll try to convince her into transferring it out elsewhere  ;D

John5479,

Can you give some details of your setup? Like, what speakers do you use with yout T752?

Any bad experiences with the T752?

Looking forward to your responses...

Cheers!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:58 AM »
You may want to read the reviews here (sssshhhhh).
http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79777&goto=nextoldest

Madaming topic dyan about NAD receivers, good and also bad. Just use the search function.

HTH.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:59 AM by Philander »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 10:17 AM »
Redkoji,

Hope you already solve the bug.. ganda talaga NAD!!

Offline green

• Apprentice
  • Demon Llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 11:26 AM »
redkoji,

Just following up on my earlier pm to you regarding the prices for the T752, T762, and T763...

Thanks!

Cheers!

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:20 PM »
the nad t752 drives most of the speakers available real well, all things being equal i prefer nad over the other brands. I understand why only few have nad receivers here based on the quality control problems of the first batch. OT but hk receivers in the states,  also have quality control problems, so its not just isolated to nad. some other brands have their own problems as well.

you can keep your speakers in the meantime and do a home audition, so u can decide if u want to change speakers :) bad experiences? no, but i hardly use it anymore bec. of work and i just plan to have a 2.1 setup since i prefer stereo more, not because the nad receiver sucks :) its hard to sell it bec. of the reported bugs on the unit, which is bad for people who bought a well working unit, =)
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:22 PM by john5479 »

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 04:08 PM »
Yes the new NAD T752 are already been "BUG" free.

The main cause was just a programing error in one of the chip...however the new released doesn't have anymore of this old chip....

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 06:01 PM »
Tone New Zealand
July 2003
Reviewer: Steve Smith  

"Anyone who has been holding off moving to home cinema because they are reluctant to give up their hi-fi need wait no longer. This combo does it all with flair and class. Not only does it look great in the new titanium finish, but it delivers where it counts."

Titanium Two-some, Steve Smith auditions another great balancing act from NAD
Here are some excerpts:

"Over the last 30 years NAD has built a solid reputation for delivering best value products to the market. NAD boasts a 'no gimmick, music first' approach to its product range. The T512 DVD Player and the T742 Receiver continue to uphold these transitions by concentrating on straightforward functionality and sound engineering.

Picking up the T742 you could be mistaken for believing this is a mid-priced receiver, as it steps up to the mark at 14.2kg and the build quality has not been compromised by budget constraints.

It employs Crystal Sigma-Delta ADCs/DACs with 96kHz/24 bit resolution and a Crystal DSP processor, so it's easy to see the money has been spent where it counts. This is a well-matched pair. The T512 DVD player supports DVD, CD and MP-3 formats, and has all the connections to keep the most demanding audiophile happy. When playing CDs this DVD player is very comfortable in the company of quality stand-alone CD players.

Set-up was particularly straightforward. The T742 manual provides all the necessary information in just 13 pages, no mean feat considering the inherent complexity of today's home cinema receivers.

The technology has been put to good use; the T742 recognises a Dolby Digital or DTS input and processes it accordingly. For other inputs you can manually scroll through the available surround sound formats. This combo was dropped into a system using KEF THX reference speakers, and I really expected to quite quickly expose power supply limits. I was pleased to find I was quite wrong, the power just poured out, delivering a dynamic wall of coherent sound. NAD employs its PowerDrive technology for the power supply, and this certainly seems to translate into a real world advantage.

Playing this system in two-channel stereo was like being reunited with an old friend, hi-fi stereo. Personally I'm not a fan of DSP simulations, but I have to concede that ProLogic II is a very useful addition when viewing two-channel source material. Whilst watching a Sky Digital broadcast I was very impressed with the separation of surround channel information.

The on-board tuner usefully supports RDS technology: at present six of Auckland's 20 station, and two National Radio sites outside Auckland, use the service. The tuner delivered a clean performance on all fronts, easy to set up and easy to listen to.

Anyone who has been holding off moving to home cinema because they are reluctant to give up their hi-fi need wait no longer. This combo does it all with flair and class. Not only does it look great in the new titanium finish, but it delivers where it counts.

There are many options available in the market at this price point, and at the end of the day buyers must choose for themselves. One hopes the smart buyer will trust their ears, if they do they will be delighted with their new NAD gear."

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 06:04 PM »

What Home Cinima
December 2003
WHC

"And the System sounds just as good with music…. NAD’s musical roots are in evidence, and the setup makes a perfect replacement hi-fi."

The NAD T742 Surround Receiver and T512 DVD Player brings full NAD quality into the budget price range, offering all of the requirements for home theatre enjoyment. What Home Cinema, reviewing a full home theatre system, chose the T742 and T512 Combo for the electronics. If you are interested in a high quality, well priced A/V Receiver you will be interested in reading this review. Here are some excerpts:

Superior separates

"As any hi-fi enthusiast knows, a system of dedicated components generally offers better performance and greater versatility then most one-box systems. The NAD electronics are no exception. The T742 amp is equipped to decode both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround sound formats. Dolby Pro-Logic II is also present to turn external sources into almost 5.1 surround sound. Picture signals from the T512 DVD player are taken care of via the RGB-enabled Scart socket, and S-video and composite video sockets are also provided. It can play CD’s that contain MP3 music files….

DVD images are impressive and the T512 Handles The Two Towers with exceptional depth and clarity. Middle-earth looks very natural and there is no hint of picture noise in the skyline. ….. Sound performance is often where a separates-based system scores over a one-box solution…. NAD’s spectacularly refined so the components gel together as though they where made with one another in mind.

The Two Towers sounds spectacular, with the NAD’s 5.1 processing and amplification keeping a tight grip on the soundtrack. Effects are perfectly placed around the room and the satellites have a smoothness that makes the clanging of the weapons in the battle sequences very easy to hear. And the impact is high, with the subwoofers’ thunderous bass levels ensuring you feel the full force of the movie’s gut wrenching effects.

The best medicine

And the System sounds just as good with music…. NAD’s musical roots are in evidence, and the setup makes a perfect replacement hi-fi. Spin Magic and Medicine by The Corel and the distinctive vocals and twangy guitars are expertly recreated. Bass is tight and rhythmic, and vocals have a clarity depth that is extremely easy to listen to.

This is an excellent blend of separates….. The NAD Components have a refined movie and musical sound, and gave this separates setup a funky twist that will appeal to anyone who is looking for a top-performing home cinema separates system with a difference. WHC

Good Points
Three-dimensional movie and music sound, and decent picture. Dual function remote with backlit keys.

Overall
An Excellent separates combination with a refined, three-dimensional music and movies performance that makes watching movies and listening to music very enjoyable. "  

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 06:07 PM »
DVD ETC.
January February 2003
Jeff Cherun

"They say that power corrupts. Well, a theory I heard recently that I feel is more accurate is that power reveals. What that means is that the more power there is present, true colors re-veal themselves. This goes for people, to be sure, and I feel that it transfers it-self quite appropriately to audio/video components."

The NAD T752 is the newest NAD A/V Receiver to hit store shelves, and what better way is there to be welcomed to the stage other than to receive stellar reviews from the most reputable magazines? Jeff Cherun of DVD ETC. has many great things to say about the T752, if you are interested in a high quality, well priced A/V Receiver you will be interested in reading this review. Here are some excerpts:

"With a surround sound receiver that has more power output, this increase in power will allow its surround sound decoding and internal components to sound that much louder and resolute, allowing us to hear its good or bad sonic traits more easily. However, with an underpowered receiver, it might be more difficult to actually hear its faults, as it would be difficult to hear anything on the same playing field. Whether this theory makes any sense at all is to be decided sometime in the future, but I have to say that I was definitely impressed by the stats of NAD's latest surround sound A/V receiver, the T752."

"Offering a solid 80 watts per channel (continuously driven), and with their PowerDrive™ amplifier technology, the T752 automatically adjusts the power supply settings of the amplifier to the exact needs of each loudspeaker. With PowerDrive™, the perfomance is always optimized for the actual operating condition and produces theoretically superior performance. Some features that make for a nice package include Dolby Digital processing (both 5.1 and EX), DTS ES, DTS NEO:6, Dolby ProLogic II, and Matrix 7.1 surround sound processing. The built-in AM/FM tuner features RDS, a nice touch that offers a written display of which radio station you are currently listening to, as well as song information and artist labels. As far as inputs go, there are six A/V inputs with S-Video and composite connections, two component video inputs and one component video output that connects to your high definition or component video input on your TV. For sound, there are six digital inputs (two optical Toslink inputs and four coaxial inputs), two digital outputs for recording to CD-R or some such format, two 12-volt triggers for triggering a motorized drop-down screen, or motorized shades, and a 12-volt input trigger. There are a host of other connections and outputs that one may need, such as a 7.1 analog input for DVD-Audio, preamplifier outputs for all channels, including two subwoofers, two infrared outputs for controlling other components, on-screen display and an HTR-2 remote control, complete with macro functionality."

"The first thing you notice when you lug the heavy T752 out of its box is its amazing build quality and fit and finish. The buttons have a very solid feel, and the volume knob has a quality touch to it. The finish is also definitely more attractive than many other A/V receivers in this price range, which is always nice to see."

"Setting up the A/V receiver was fairly staight-forward. The inputs are straightforward and the manual and menus were easy enough for most people to figure out. My only complaint with setting up the T752 is that the speaker binding posts are too close together, making for a tricky hookup process. If you use banana plugs on the ends of your speaker cable, this might make things easier. Otherwise, all was hooked up in no time at all. One other tip for the T752 is to make sure not to place anything at all on top of the unit, as it will run hot, due to the sheer number of amplifiers inside its chassis."

"The supplied backlit HTR-2 remote is a nice inclusion, and far better than what other similarly priced receivers offer. It is basically a universal pre-programmed remote and allows the user to leam other commands from other remotes. The remote also has a macro feature, allowing easy turn on and turn off of entire system. In using this remote, I have to say that it is one of the easiest of its kind to program, which of course is a good thing. I tend to get annoyed by lesser remotes, but this one was a real pleasure to use."

"Performance on DVD soundtracks was excellent. With my reference Definitive Technology PowerMonitor 900/CLR 3000 system, I was immediately entranced by the sense of space and power that the T752 displayed. Bass was very clear and resolute on all channels, and the surround sound steering was very exciting and punchy. When turned up to reference level, the NAD's amplifiers handled their tasks with aplomb, and seemed to have plenty of extra power to spare. Watching the new DVD release of Reign of Fire, an action-oriented romp, I was impressed by the punchy and dynamic sense of the presentation. It made for a very exciting viewing, even if the movie itself wasn't all that it could have been. The rear effects had plenty of presence, and balanced the room perfectly. On other, more tame movie soundtracks, such as Glengarry Glen Ross, which is primarily a dialog-driven film, the center speaker exhibited a very natural tone to it, complementing my speaker system very nicely. On Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, I was very impressed by the 360-degree sound-stage that was created by the NAD. Each of the 6 speakers seemed to work in unison, as they are supposed to in this type of film. Left-center-right pans when spaceships are whirring by were very convincing, due to the great processing and amplification in this receiver. On some lesser receivers, or speaker packages, the system may not work together as a whole, but the NAD definitely gives virtually any speaker package the opportunity to shine."

"Performance on stereo music was very enjoyable. Listening to Peter Gabriel's dynamic Up release, his first release in ten years, which features a lot of extremely well-recorded low-end bass, very clean vocals and wide soundstage, the T752 processed it all very well. I found bass reproduction to be tight and fast, and the midrange (where voices reside) to be very smooth and pleasing. On bass-pounding tracks like Growing Up or Signal to Noise, the presentation was extremely exciting. On more acoustic music, such as on Tony Levin's exciting new live recording, Double Espresso, a double live CD package including music from his last tour with his band, my results were similar. The soundstage created by the NAD complemented my reference speaker package, and together created a very nice presentation that was hard to turn off. The NAD is definitely a nice centerpiece for a listening system, as well as surround sound system."

"All in all, the T752 offers excellent features, solid sound quality, and all the right in's and out's for virtually any user. If you have a small to medium-sized room, or wish to play your intense action films to the max, you will be very pleased. The T752 has power to spare, and will make your home theater rock in the way that any home theater should. In the end, the theory of power revealing is very much to the point: the NAD was revealed to be an excellent performer with lots of power, especially for the price."  

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 06:08 PM »
Sound & Vision
December 2002  
Reviewer: Unknown

"Since its inception in the late 1970s, NAD has been marching to a different drummer. While “bigger”, “more powerful”, and “more elaborate” have become watchwords in audio/video development, NAD consistently favored sensibly scaled designs that address real-world needs instead of sales-floor gamesmanship."

The NAD T752 A/V Receiver has been welcomed into the world of A/V with open arms by many of reviewers, we would like nothing more than to have the T752 welcomed into your home theatre set-up. If you are in the market for a new A/V receiver than we think that this review will interest you. Here are some excerpts:

"NAD’s latest receiver, the T752, is a classic example. Compared with its competition in the under-a-grand price range, the new NAD is smaller, less powerful – at least in terms of specs – less loaded with features, and less flashy looking. The question is, do these make it any “less” of an A/V receiver where it counts?"

"The T752’s uncluttered face, finished in a smooth charcoal gray, is set off by clearly Euro-inspired design touches like the rounded contours of the fluorescent display window and the “old fashioned” mechanical power key. It’s a matter of taste, but I prefer this classic look to the usual profusion of LEDs, knobs, and buttons."

"Front-panel control depends entirely on pushbuttons working in concert with the sole knob, labeled Volume/Set Up. NAD uses a somewhat unusual scheme for source selection from the front panel: buttons marked Audio and Video toggle through the receiver’s two audio-only and six A/V inputs, respectively, and the AM/FM key selects the tuner and toggles between bands. Once I learned how this worked it struck me as a sensible comprise between the complexity (and cost) of a dedicated source-selection knob and the annoyance of having to step through all umpty-ump inputs on a single button. Around back the T752 provides all the expected audio and video pathways, including line outputs for two back surround speakers even though it delivers power to only five channels. The two optical and four coaxial digital inputs are each assignable to any source, while the two sets of component-video inputs and one output are linked to the DVD and SAT(ellite) inputs. The T752 also supplies 12-volt trigger and infrared inputs and outputs, both unusual in midline receivers but useful for more elaborate installations."

"Setup was straightforward, but be forewarned that the T752 requires a TV for this task: none of its six menus appears in any form on the front-panel display. There are relatively few setup options from which to choose beyond the basics of setting speaker “size”, distance, and level – one for input assignments and one for the default Listening Mode that’s recalled whenever each input is selected.
When the front left/right speakers are set to “large”, the center, L/R surround, and back surround can be set to “large”, “small”, or “none”. But NAD restricts all other speaker options to “small” when the front L/R are set to “small”. On the plus side, you can set the T752’s subwoofer crossover to 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 or 150 Hz. These settings apply to digital inputs only – there’s no bass management for the multichannel analog input."

"The T752’s feature set also follows NAD’s “less is more” philosophy. It includes decoding for Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel soundtracks and for Dolby Digital EX and DET-ES 6.1-channel soundtracks, Dolby Pro Logic II (DPL II) and DTS Neo:6 processing for 5.1- or 6.1-channel playback from stereo and four-channel surround sources, and a couple of Enhanced Stereo modes. With two notable additions, that’s it: no “Disco” or “Stadium” modes – hallelujah!"

"The first of those additional modes is NAD’s Enhanced Ambience Recovery System, or EARS. Yes, it’s a silly name, but the process is not. EARS delivers subtle – but never too subtle to hear – five-channel surround sound from two-channel programs. Its almost always sounded very good, whether on mostly mono TV sound, like sitcoms, or on ambient music, where it compared favorably to DPL II’s Music mode – which is not to say it was better. EARS produced a “spacier”, more ambient effect (although it never seemed excessive or false), but DPL II’s Music Mode, with its Center Width and Dimension parameters tweaked and Panorama option engaged, sounded more focused and spatially realistic."

"The second of the T752’s extra modes, Matrix 7.1, is claimed to yield “natural, cohesive all-channels surround from high-quality recordings, both…stereo and surround-encoded” (It took me a while to figure out that Matrix 7.1 appears on the surround-mode rotation only if you set up for two back surround speakers). I found this to work very well. For example, broadcast-TV movies and action-series sequences would occasionally deliver a genuine 6.1-channel-like moment, as when a racing car in some cop show (Ii honestly don’t know which one) came head on into the picture, as if from behind me, with its sound following nicely but peeling off to the left at the last moment."

"In terms of overall sonic quality, the T752 scored high. Auditioning it with material from the excellent AIX Records DVD-Audio sampler – that is, simply as a five-channel amplifier – proved that despite its modest ratings, the NAD receiver can easily drive a demanding speaker suite to musically realistic levels in a large room. The best tracks sounded stunningly good, displaying the subtle perks of 96-kHz/24-bit production: smoothly extended treble “air” and deep, noise-free silences. The receiver had ample dynamic reserves for the spiky demands of the percussive “Song for My Father” by Luis Conte Latin jazz trio, and it rocked out effortlessly on the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “Tuff Enuff”. "

"Of course, the most important task for any A/V receiver is Dolby Digital/DTS playback. Harry Potter and the Scorcerer’s Stone has a wonderfully recorded soundtrack, and the NAD did an excellent job of conveying the enchantment. It had more than enough dynamic punch for the big magic scenes, such as when Harry and his friends fight with the rumbling troll, and John William’s rich score sounded beguilingly solid, spacious, and natural. "

"The NAD receiver did an equally good job at preserving the finer details of the complex scenes, such as the “owl mail delivery” sequence, making softly flapping owl wings, rustling packages, myriad voices near and far, and background music coexist happily without lessening the sense of being in a huge room. Other operational aspects of the T752 were on a similarly high plane, thanks largely to a simple but effective preset system. This lets you store as many as five combinations of all of the T752'’ adjustable parameters into preset system. This lets you store as many as five combinations of all of the T752’s adjustable parameters into present memories for one-touch recall. A preset can include anything from the receiver’s setup menus – source, relative channel levels, delays, surround mode (and parameter tweaks, like the dynamic-range compression, with choices of 25, 50, 75, 100%), even the number and “size” of your speakers, your subwoofer crossover-frequency setting, and your ton-control settings. I would use this system to set up pre-adjusted modes for different kinds of music and movie scenarios – for example, a Late Night preset might have dynamic range at 50% and center and surround levels boosted by 1 or 2 dB. This is a great way to use a receiver’s technical sophistication, and I applaud it. The manual sensibly suggests keeping one of the presets “empty” – that is, stored with no changes beyond your basic calibrated settings, as a reference. My only complaint here is that you can’t name the presets! I also wouldn’t have minded having even more presets."

"The full-system HTR-2 remote control is handsome and plainly but sensibly laid out, with generous spacing and a good mix of button sizes and shapes. The labels are on the small side and color coded to indicate which command the button issues when a given component is active. Press any button, and all the keys light up with soft green backlighting that makes their primary, on-key graphics readable under any conditions – well done. I particularly liked having level trims for center, surround, and sub channels at my fingertips." "The HTR-2 is billed as a learning-plus-NAD-brand-preprogrammed remote, but if you read the fine print in the T752’s unusually encyclopedic owner’s manual, you discover that you can search for other brand codes. For example, a quick scan turned up a useful set for my Toshiba widescreen TV. I can recommend the NAD T752 with confidence to anyone who favors simplicity and effectiveness of function, handsomeness of design (in both the styling and conceptual senses), and excellence of sound quality over a plentitude of features or power. And if you’re looking for a receiver that any household member can use, it’s an attractive option."  

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Nov 23, 2003 at 01:01 PM »
i just had a marantz 7300 ose replace by a NAD T752. on the 2 weeks i had the 7300, i found it a bit laid back for my dynaudios.

the 752 + t532 dvd player were the same price with the marantz so called my dealer to have the 7300 replaced.

the 1st 752 delivered had a defective left surround channel and got a replacement a few days later. now everythings working fine and i'm enjoying every minute with my NAD.

;) xXx
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 05:32 PM »
Redkoji,

sana nga pre.. former NAD T752 owner here... Love NAD sound and if not for the bug... baka NAD pa rin ako!!

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 10:44 AM »
Well I got  both the 2 NAD A/V receivers, and believe me, it is the best sounding receivers i've heard, the Denon sounds "matinis". I tried it. But haven't tried HK. I bought the t752 for 32,500Php and the t762 for 42,500Php. I think it is worth it. With the sound and all. Kahit anong speaker ang ilagay mo it sounds great. I attached a Klipsch Quintet for the t752 and Bose Acoustimass 6, series 2 for the t762. Boy, it rocks!!! hehehehehehhehe!!! If you guys are interested in NAD,, I know someone in AV surfer in ATC. He gives me 20% discount.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 11:44 AM »
Windrider, could you pls. explain the meaning of "matinis" - thanks!