Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 544350 times)

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
Re:ONKYO AVR
« Reply #180 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
p're nels76!!

really?! like what brand?  :o just compared them with denon, marantz and yamaha.  ;D but i didn't say it's exclusive to onkies, just the wrat technology.  ;)

cheers!  :D

av_phile,

they use rca terminals now in recent models

cheers ulit  ;D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
p're nels76!!

really?! like what brand?  :o just compared them with denon, marantz and yamaha.  ;D but i didn't say it's exclusive to onkies, just the wrat technology.  ;)

cheers!  :D

Most if not all.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
Pre,

almost all later model receivers have already wide bandwidth (10Hz ~ 100kHz). Especially those with 6-channel analog in for DVD Audio / SACD Playback. And it is not exclusicve only to Onkyos.

Cheers.

Not only is it not exclusive to Onkyo.  It's nothing new.

The Sansui integrated stereo amp I had more than 20 years ago had a FLAT frequency response from DC or 0Hz all the way to 120Khz.  And many amps i've read the specs of  in the intervening years had a 2hz to 100Khz, or 5Hz to 150Khz responses.  Even the taiwan amp kit I assembled in 1983 had a freq response of 4 Hz to 90 Khz plus or minus 1 db.  Nothing new in there.  All hi-fi amos should be wide-range to start with and to say the least.  And it's not enough to have just a wide range, it should be FLAT to within plus or minus  a db.  Onkyo 's WRAT  starts at a mere 10hz uo to 100khz which is good enough.  But i don't recall their brochure  saying anything about that range being FLAT to within so-so db.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:39 PM »
just considered price ranges from the major players in novice home theatre enthusiasts.

and i didn't say it's NEW

:-X  ;D

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #184 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:45 PM »
ano ba ang price range ng Onkyo AVRs?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:48 PM »
av_phile,

they use rca terminals now in recent models

cheers ulit  ;D

Good to learn they've abandoned this DB-25 terminal.  I just can't appreciate its use in multi-channel hi-fi.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 03:53 PM »
yep, good thing they've updated the terminals but the earlier models (tx-sr600, tx-sr500) use clip-on plugs for b speakers (bad trip) they've updated in the 501s and 601s.

to quitacet,

tx-sr501 - 18 ++
tx-sr601 - 24 ++

Offline berniebau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Two heads are better, if they flock together...
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 11:11 PM »
To All Oknyo user/ex-users,

Right now, i have a tx-sr500, using diamond 8.4s (component spkers for d other chan).  I find it ok, but you have to really turn the volume up. Music is really good but I find it lacking something when listening to some rock/alternative.

Gusto ko lang mag survey ba...
a. what model of onkyos do you have??
b. what speakers are you using for you onkyos??
c. comments on your combo??

btw, i have a ninong. Onkyo gamit with Infinity speakers, he loves music.  GANDA ng tunog.  I didn't get the model though (hindi pa sya infinite volume knob), coz I saw it when I was still not so familiar with different brands of AVR.  But I guess that's the biggest influence, that's why good shot ang Onkyo sakin. I'll let you know, kapag nagkita/nagkausap kami. :)

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 06:22 PM »
Bernie,

I am also a  new member here in pinoyDVD and have also started this new hobby. I just bought myself a Onkyo SR-601 (with 6.1 channel output) with B&W 601s3 and  LCR 60 speakers.  I read through the threads to seek advice from different users. From my experience, iba sumipa ang B&W speakers with Onkyo AVR. Max volume for a 601 is level 99. I get desired results b/w 50 - 65 volume level for DVD Movies but for Music I switch to Stereo output at level 55. Audio CD's encoded in 44 -48 Khz are really meant to be listened at Stereo level. If tyou go for 96 Khz sampling (DVD Audio or DVD Video - Concert versions) go for Surround setup. If you crank up the volume believe me di pa rin basag ang tunog at level 70 but its loud enough to wake up the neighbors.  I am really satisfied with my setup and still pursuing for audio perfection yun bang pag narinig mo yun tunog kailangan palagi nakikiliti yun pandinig mo sa ganda. Volume level is really relative with the listener. What matters is you don't pump up your AVR to its maximum capacity because that leaves you no room for changes and tweaking if you are not satisfied with what your listening to. It may also hold true that your speakers are underpowered for the Onkyo AVR. Actually I haven't fully grasp the concept of impedance / ohms matching. Still learning as well as you are.   ;)

BTW, it also matters if you have shielded speaker cables (IXOS 6006 gamit ko) and IC (Optical) . I bet you know that by now hehehe.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 07:15 PM »
i'm using tx-sr600 for  602s3 and 601s3 and velodyne cht-8 for home theatre setup. will be upgrading to lcr600 for center speaker soon. so far so good. the onkyos are good for b&w speakers in my setup.  for movies, my volume range is 55 - 65 depending on dvds. for music around 45 - 50.  home theatre, i'd say it's decent enough for me.  for stereo listening, average! i still have a separate stereo setup  ;) my only gripe, i should have waited for the 601.  :P

8)

Offline Cosmo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 08:56 AM »
got the tx sr501 paired with paradigm studio 20 using it for my front speakers, maganda  naman ang combination nilang dalawa, before paradigm titan ang front speakers ko, now the titan's are being used for my rear, naging underrated lang yung 501 when i upgraded to studio 20, kailangan na siguro mag upgrade

Offline berniebau

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 01:17 AM »
ako din 50-65 (daytime) ang volume while watching DVD. At night, < 60 lalo na kapag DTS. sa music pinaka malakas na yung 55. (Sa tingin ko kapag tx-sr60x) mas maganda bigay na tunog... mas buo) kaya lang kapag Dolby PLII lang, eg, VCD lang. kelangan lakasan upto 70 minsan lalo na kapag naguusap lang. and the surrounds, medyo mahina.  pero kasi surround and center speakers ko upto now e component speakers pa din. maybe that's why. btw, max na sr500 is 94 ata.

E malulupit naman pala ang speakers na gamit nyo, I have no budget for that speakers.  pero narinig ko na yan side by side, 8.4 sa 602. GAling tumunog ng BW602.  Bakit nga pala may nakita kong brochure ng Onkyo together with B&W?  Sister company ba sila or something?
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2004 at 01:19 AM by berniebau »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 02:28 AM »
"Bakit nga pala may nakita kong brochure ng Onkyo together with B&W?  Sister company ba sila or something?"

nope, they just have the same distributor here in the phils.  just like denon and jbl here.  in europe, it's rotel and b&w (and classe' too) working hand in hand.  ;)

when using dpl IIs in vcds and cds, the volume drops down normally because they are just mere dsps and not true discrete channels.  don't worry, your diamond 8.4s are ok with the onkyo, you'll be needing a smaller diamond speaker for the surrounds to match with your fronts.

cheers

Offline berniebau

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
ahh.. salamat. may nagconfirm na compatible tong 8.4 sa Onkyo. ;D  Center muna next project. tapos SUB. gusto ko kasi gumagapang sa sahig at dingding ang yanig!  yung surrounds, better wire lang to. yung compo speakers ko kasi for surrounds, diffused ang ang placement nung driver. actually 4 yung driver 1-woofer 3-mid/tweet, tapos firing at 3 different angles.. nakalagay nga sa speaker Front surround! ang labo!!  ::) ??? ::)  Aiwa nga pala sya.

Offline batutoy3:16

• Collector
  • Loved By Few, Hated By Many, Respected By All
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 08:42 AM »
dudes, baka may marerecommend kayong budget for P55K- pinagpipilian ko kc yung 501 or 601. d ko ngalang alam kung anung speakers yung iteterno either s dalawa. ung wires na gagamitin yung magaganda na- bili n lang ako s Raon. whatchathink?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 12:26 PM »
Good budget there for an AVR and speakers.  I suggest you audition the Onkyo 601 with Wharfedale Evolution or Diamond series.  You probably will have something left for a good subwoofer.  But I am sure they will work just as well with many speakers with a 6-8 ohm impedance rating.  You can check out Sound DImension at park Square which carries this brand and try it on with their KEF speakers which I think is on sale.  

Offline bgs

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Mar 31, 2004 at 08:07 AM »
agree with master av_phile1  ;D. I suggest the kef with onkyo ganda sana ng b&w's kaso really too high for my budget
hopefully, I can buy the avr and fronts either this week or next.. onkyo 601 with kef cresta 30 muna...  then 10 then 20.. saka na siguro ang sub.. kaso pending approval pa ni esmi.  8)

happy hunting..  ;D

Offline batutoy3:16

• Collector
  • Loved By Few, Hated By Many, Respected By All
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Mar 31, 2004 at 12:51 PM »
Thanks av_phile and bgs- we've decided to get the 601. Ang problema n lang yung speakers and pag-setup.

Dudes, baka may alam kayung nagsesetup ng HT na medyo mura ang service fee- as in wala kasi kaming alam sa pagsesetup ng HT kasi. Ginagawa yung HT/Music Room, para maincorporate na yung specs ng speakers (were thinking abt getting n lang Daiichi Euro8 or Wharfedale Diamond  8s dahil na rin s budget).

Thanks in advance!

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 09:38 AM »
HI Batutoy,

I recently bought a  SR601. I may have a few suggestions for you. Sana di ka nagmamadali kasi 55K okay for a HT setup but think of it this way sobra tight ka sa budget. Are you willing to sacrifice budget with performance / quality? A friend of mine recommended that I buy what I really want and what my budget permits now. Don't settle for "pwede na yan" para mabuo lang ang 5.1 HT setup. Onkyo 601 is really a versatile AVR that's why I bought it especailly that I am very particular about future proofing my equipment. As I mentioned in my previous message very warm ang soundstage pag audio. (di matining yun highs) I used to be excited to get a 5 speaker package but I thought of installing my speakers over a period of time. Iba yun fulfillment at very rewarding sa pandining mo pag unti - unti sya nabubuo. I first bought L & R front speakers then Center. As I stretch my budget, I'd purchase the surround speakers later on. Last piece yun center surround and Subs. It's up to you dude.

BTW, for my B&W 601s3 , LCR60 fronts I use IXOS gamma 6006. There are threads in General section covering different types of speaker cables and Interconnects.

Good Luck dude. Just my two cents. ;)

Offline random

• Collector
  • ProjectD
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 09:39 AM »
Bernie,

I am also a  new member here in pinoyDVD and have also started this new hobby. I just bought myself a Onkyo SR-601 (with 6.1 channel output) with B&W 601s3 and  LCR 60 speakers.  I read through the threads to seek advice from different users. From my experience, iba sumipa ang B&W speakers with Onkyo AVR. Max volume for a 601 is level 99. I get desired results b/w 50 - 65 volume level for DVD Movies but for Music I switch to Stereo output at level 55. Audio CD's encoded in 44 -48 Khz are really meant to be listened at Stereo level. If tyou go for 96 Khz sampling (DVD Audio or DVD Video - Concert versions) go for Surround setup. If you crank up the volume believe me di pa rin basag ang tunog at level 70 but its loud enough to wake up the neighbors.  I am really satisfied with my setup and still pursuing for audio perfection yun bang pag narinig mo yun tunog kailangan palagi nakikiliti yun pandinig mo sa ganda. Volume level is really relative with the listener. What matters is you don't pump up your AVR to its maximum capacity because that leaves you no room for changes and tweaking if you are not satisfied with what your listening to. It may also hold true that your speakers are underpowered for the Onkyo AVR. Actually I haven't fully grasp the concept of impedance / ohms matching. Still learning as well as you are.   ;)

BTW, it also matters if you have shielded speaker cables (IXOS 6006 gamit ko) and IC (Optical) . I bet you know that by now hehehe.

dude, pwede bang malaman kung may PRE-OUT ng mga speakers ang ONKYO 601 mo.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2004 at 09:40 AM by random »

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 09:57 AM »
Pre out for subwoofer lang, also line out for Zone 2 area  (used for connecting to an powered external amp from a remote area)

TX-SR701 have pre-out for 5.1 terminals. BTW the SR701 is THX capable so its slightly around 30K.

Offline random

• Collector
  • ProjectD
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 10:45 AM »
Pre out for subwoofer lang, also line out for Zone 2 area  (used for connecting to an powered external amp from a remote area)

TX-SR701 have pre-out for 5.1 terminals. BTW the SR701 is THX capable so its slightly around 30K.

thanks hurricayn! madaya din pala ang mga hapon. Yung mga 601 kasi dito sa japan eh may PURE AUDIO na feature pati na yung PRE OUTS sa mga speakers including yung sa SUB.  

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 04:35 PM »
wow e di parang SR701 na yan. Sna di hapon ang text sa OSD heheheh ;)

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #203 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 11:38 AM »
Guys, I have a question regarding the RMS output of my Onkyo 601. Based on the spec sheet, 85W per channel min RMS at 8 ohms and 110W per channel min RMS at 6 ohms. Then there's also Dynamic power output(stereo) 2 X 100 W at 8 ohms. I currently have B&W 601s3 that can be driven at 100W at 8ohms. Would like to know if the Onkyo 601 receiver supplies full 100W at 8 ohms or 85W only or the power output dips b/w 8 ohms to 4ohms.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Apr 23, 2004 at 07:06 PM »
Guys, I have a question regarding the RMS output of my Onkyo 601. Based on the spec sheet, 85W per channel min RMS at 8 ohms and 110W per channel min RMS at 6 ohms. Then there's also Dynamic power output(stereo) 2 X 100 W at 8 ohms. I currently have B&W 601s3 that can be driven at 100W at 8ohms. Would like to know if the Onkyo 601 receiver supplies full 100W at 8 ohms or 85W only or the power output dips b/w 8 ohms to 4ohms.

My apologies to Onkyo users, (actually me included).  This is basically my caveat against Onkyo, apart from their ugly rubber footing  ;D, They put in so many power ratings at different points of reference that they can only serve to mislead unwary consumers.  Onkyo can't seem to make up their mind which one to use.   I also had the same confusion reading their manuals with my older Onks.

To answer your question:  yes and no, sometimes.   Let me eleborate.

The 85 watts into 8 ohms is measured using FTC (US) standard for all frequencies from 20hz to 20kz. Onkyo should have stopped there as this is  preferred  by audiophiles.  The 110 watts into 6 ohms is measured only at 1khz (IHF, DIN) and is frowned upon by audiophiles as a useless spec and a misleading rating.  Nobody listens to music at only 1 khz.  ???  You can safely disregard this particular spec.

While the specs on the net are silent on whether the 85 watts is CONTINUOUS, I will assume it so.  But the term is suspiciously absent and the rating could very well have been meaured at the 1khz point.  If so, then the actual real continuous rating would be lower than 85, say 70 watts RMS.  But let me just give Onkyo's 85 watt rating the benefit of the doubt.

The dynamic power specification is precisely that, measured at transient peaks into the various loads to indicate it is capable of high-current dirves - something older Onkyos didn't bother to print, presumably, they were not high-current amps.  But the figures are actually revealing of the amp's inadequate dynamic headroom.   If the continuous power is 85 watts into 8 ohms, its dynamic limit at that load is only 100 watts.  Hardly sufficient to handle piano and drum attacks even near the rated power.  Such transients can draw twice the continuous power.  But even so, using the IHF standards that Onkyo uses, the peak transients are only meaured at 1Khz, again an over-estimation. (Most likely there may not be much headroom to talk about. )  So in order to get clean dynamics, the volume should probably be set at around 40% of full power.  All the other dynamic figures are useless indication.  WHile the spec says the 601 can deliver a dynamic headroom of 220 watts down to 3 ohms,  the rear panel has a revealing message on top of the speaker terminals:  Caution: Speaker Impedance, 6 ohms minimum. It's the same caution on my Onkyo reveivers of 1996 and 98.   

I don't know if Onkyo's technical guys are talking with their marketing guys when deciding what to put on the manual and at the back of the unit.

But going back to your question. The answer is really yes, no and sometimes.  The B&w 601 S3 can handle from 25w to 100w of unclipped signals and is rated nicely at 8 ohms with a minimum of 3 ohms for some unspecified frequency.  The onkyo 601's continuous power rating of 85w peaking at only 100w during transients are well within the B&W's abilities.  So the amp can deliver 100 watts but only during brief transients.  And it may start to sound a trifle bit too loud on certain frequencies that could dip to 3 ohms at instantaneous moments.  Just don't set the volume past the half-way mark or you could be sending clipped signals during transients that  the speaker can't handle.  And a speaker that can't handle what you feed into it will usually fry to a crisp.   ;D

On second thought, the two should be perfectly matched, they're both 601.  ;D

But let not my assessment of the 601 discourage anyone from getting this.  Those are based purely on written specs whose over enthusiastic bent I am essentially criticizing, not the receiver.  As a surround receiver, very few can equal its features at its price. None can exceed it at that price.    Having accompanied a colleague and influenced him on getting this over another brand and helping him install this, I have heard its convincing sonic abilities paired with an MS914, though not at any extended listening.   There is no doubt it's a competent performer.  But if the tech specs are any indication at all, one just shouldn't expect it to perform as good at high volume levels.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2004 at 11:55 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2004 at 08:38 PM »

My apologies to Onkyo users, (actually me included).  This is basically my caveat against Onkyo, apart from their ugly rubber footing  ;D, They put in so many power ratings at different points of reference that they can only serve to mislead unwary consumers.  Onkyo can't seem to make up their mind which one to use.   I also had the same confusion reading their manuals with my older Onks.

To answer your question:  yes and no, sometimes.   Let me eleborate.

The 85 watts into 8 ohms is measured using FTC (US) standard for all frequencies from 20hz to 20kz. Onkyo should have stopped there as this is  preferred  by audiophiles.  The 110 watts into 6 ohms is measured only at 1khz (IHF, DIN) and is frowned upon by audiophiles as a useless spec and a misleading rating.  Nobody listens to music at only 1 khz.  ???  You can safely disregard this particular spec.

While the specs on the net are silent on whether the 85 watts is CONTINUOUS, I will assume it so.  But the term is suspiciously absent and the rating could very well have been meaured at the 1khz point.  If so, then the actual real continuous rating would be lower than 85, say 70 watts RMS.  But let me just give Onkyo's 85 watt rating the benefit of the doubt.

The dynamic power specification is precisely that, measured at transient peaks into the various loads to indicate it is capable of high-current dirves - something older Onkyos didn't bother to print, presumably, they were not high-current amps.  But the figures are actually revealing of the amp's inadequate dynamic headroom.   If the continuous power is 85 watts into 8 ohms, its dynamic limit at that load is only 100 watts.  Hardly sufficient to handle piano and drum attacks even near the rated power.  Such transients can draw twice the continuous power.  But even so, using the IHF standards that Onkyo uses, the peak transients are only meaured at 1Khz, again an over-estimation. (Most likely there may not be much headroom to talk about. )  So in order to get clean dynamics, the volume should probably be set at around 40% of full power.  All the other dynamic figures are useless indication.  WHile the spec says the 601 can deliver a dynamic headroom of 220 watts down to 3 ohms,  the rear panel has a revealing message on top of the speaker terminals:  Caution: Speaker Impedance, 6 ohms minimum. It's the same caution on my Onkyo reveivers of 1996 and 98.   

I don't know if Onkyo's technical guys are talking with their marketing guys when deciding what to put on the manual and at the back of the unit.

But going back to your question. The answer is really yes, no and sometimes.  The B&w 601 S3 can handle from 25w to 100w of unclipped signals and is rated nicely at 8 ohms with a minimum of 3 ohms for some unspecified frequency.  The onkyo 601's continuous power rating of 85w peaking at only 100w during transients are well within the B&W's abilities.  So the amp can deliver 100 watts but only during brief transients.  And it may start to sound a trifle bit too loud on certain frequencies that could dip to 3 ohms at instantaneous moments.  Just don't set the volume past the half-way mark or you could be sending clipped signals during transients that  the speaker can't handle.  And a speaker that can't handle what you feed into it will usually fry to a crisp.   ;D

On second thought, the two should be perfectly matched, they're both 601.  ;D

But let not my assessment of the 601 discourage anyone from getting this.  Those are based purely on written specs whose over enthusiastic bent I am essentially criticizing, not the receiver.  As a surround receiver, very few can equal its features at its price. None can exceed it at that price.    Having accompanied a colleague and influenced him on getting this over another brand and helping him install this, I have heard its convincing sonic abilities paired with an MS914, though not at any extended listening.   There is no doubt it's a competent performer.  But if the tech specs are any indication at all, one just shouldn't expect it to perform as good at high volume levels.
Mr. Av phile, need your expert advise, have narrowed my choices between onkyo 701 or 800 against yamaha rxv 1400? which is more powerful and better? why? as to speakers its a toss up between b n w 600s3 vs. mission volare series or m780..waiting for your coments thanks in advance...

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2004 at 09:24 PM »
Mattmatt,  i almost didn't see your querry burried in your quote.

But here's my brief answer.  I'd go for the Onkyo 800, even if I prefer the new Yamaha receivers in looks.  But if you can get the Yamaha Z1 or Z9, they're better than the Onkyo flagship. I'll see if i can post the reasons tomorrow as I have to leave for home.  Bye for now.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2004 at 10:59 AM »
Mattmatt,  i almost didn't see your querry burried in your quote.

But here's my brief answer.  I'd go for the Onkyo 800, even if I prefer the new Yamaha receivers in looks.  But if you can get the Yamaha Z1 or Z9, they're better than the Onkyo flagship. I'll see if i can post the reasons tomorrow as I have to leave for home.  Bye for now.

Yamaha Z9 is an excellent true Audio & Video reciever, if not the best. Based from its technical specifications and features, I doubt if there one existing who can match this reciever.

YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)
High Definition CINEMA DSP Technology, Plus THX Ultra2
Faroudja's DCDi Processing
216MHz/12-bit Video D/A Conversion
NSV Precision Video
Digital Component Video Up/Down Conversion : Component to SVideo to Composite to SVideo to Component to Composite, etc.

9.1-Channel Powerful 1,890W Surround Sound (250W x 7 + 70W x 2, Max)
Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
Troidal Transformer, 3-Layer Construction, Symmetrical Layout and Separate Chambers
Firewire & RS 232

Pure Direct provides the shortest possible signal path for two-channel or multi-channel analog inputs, with no signal processing and no display. Straight outputs the original analog or digital signal without any post-processing.

Subwoofer crossover frequencies selection : 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160 and 200 Hz
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004 at 11:05 AM by Philander »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
At less than 70 lbs, the Z9 is perhaps the heftiest multi-channel receiver on this planet. Its preamp and digital processing features are without doubt awesome and goes a mile away from any receiver out there, except perhaps the Denon flagship (forgot the model).  But reading its specs on power leaves me doubting its real abilities in the power department. 

Compared to other amps and receivers like NAD, Rotel, Acurus, HK,  it's over-rated in terms of its ability to deliver the power promised in the specs.  Sound and Vision tested this as a 140 wpc receiver, not the 170 wpc as claimed.  Not that it matters really, I am sure 140 wpcs will fill any room with ear-splitting sonics.  I am just  distressed manufacturers continue to overrate products that are already excellent to begin with.  But enough said.  Again, don't let my impertinent views get in your way of buying such an excellent receiver.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004 at 02:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
Bros av_phile1 and philander,
Care to tell me your views about the Yamaha DSP-AZ2? Please? Thanks. ;)
Making the most of what I've got