Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 546900 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #240 on: Jul 08, 2004 at 09:18 AM »

Thanks for the response av_phile1.  Just to follow-up,  I wonder why matching would be insignificant (or a non-issue)?  Isn't it that you also consider the sonic character of what amplifies the signal?  ???

Nope, my experience with most commercial equipment out there makes matching between digital players and receivers not that significant.  At least not as significant as between amps and speakers.  But there are some audible differences between using receivers and separate power amps.  But that is not so much due getting the right match as getting the better power amps.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2004 at 09:25 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline graphire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • www.thewealthysoul.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 01:38 PM »
Is Onkyo 484 still a good buy for a budget entry level AVR? Any comment on this model? Im totally newbie on this kind of hobby and this will be my first AVR. My friend is selling his unit cheap. I just recently bought a DVD player, and im just planning to buy a Sakura amp lang sana. But I still dont have a separate audio system, so i'd like sana an amp that is good for both music and HT. Thanks.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #242 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 02:19 PM »
i think you can still consider this onkyo tx-ds484 for an entry level receiver but in the future, you might want to upgrade into newer receivers.  if your cost in buying this receiver is far from the entry level receiver of onkyo i.e. tx-sr502, i think you can settle for this receiver in the mean time.  just remember that this tx-ds484 operates only the basic processing of a receiver, dts and dolby decoding driving at 55 watts x 5 speakers.  the older receivers of onlyo offers much better power supply than recent models.  it doesn't have more connections for other inputs unlike the newer models.

http://www.cheaphometheater.com/onkyo-tx-ds484.htm
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 05:34 PM »
Is Onkyo 484 still a good buy for a budget entry level AVR? Any comment on this model? Im totally newbie on this kind of hobby and this will be my first AVR. My friend is selling his unit cheap. I just recently bought a DVD player, and im just planning to buy a Sakura amp lang sana. But I still dont have a separate audio system, so i'd like sana an amp that is good for both music and HT. Thanks.

Krets, right if your friend gonna give you a good bargain then go ahead.. :) :) but if its price around 11k to 15k you'll have other options. :)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 05:43 PM »

Thanks for the response av_phile1.  Just to follow-up,  I wonder why matching would be insignificant (or a non-issue)?  Isn't it that you also consider the sonic character of what amplifies the signal?  ???

Bro i think av_phile is pertaining to digital connection ( cd to avr by optical/toslink) if you hook up your cd player via digital connection then you'll be using the AVR's DAC.. but if plan to hook it up with RCA ( analog ) then thats a different story.. Matching now play a role..

Offline psychodreamer

• Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 08:38 PM »

Bro i think av_phile is pertaining to digital connection ( cd to avr by optical/toslink) if you hook up your cd player via digital connection then you'll be using the AVR's DAC.. but if plan to hook it up with RCA ( analog ) then thats a different story.. Matching now play a role..

Thanks for the response.  Actually, that's how my cdp is hooked up,  I'm using the analog connection since I want to use the DAC of my cdp.
Lines cut across my face...

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Jul 24, 2004 at 01:51 AM »
bros,
magkano na ba ang onkyo receivers ngayon? what do you think of these prices, ano kaya ang best buy...

TX-SR501 (brand new) - 11K
TX-SR501 (refurbished by onkyo) - 8K
TX-SR502 (brand new) - 16.5K
TX-SR600 (refurbished by onkyo) - 14.7K

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #247 on: Jul 24, 2004 at 08:29 AM »
bros,
magkano na ba ang onkyo receivers ngayon? what do you think of these prices, ano kaya ang best buy...

try to extend ur budget bro..I heard txnr900 on sale u can get it around 49,000 only :P O0 brand new...

Offline psychodreamer

• Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Jul 24, 2004 at 06:23 PM »

try to extend ur budget bro..I heard txnr900 on sale u can get it around 49,000 only :P O0 brand new...

haha! that's a lot of stretching there... :D

anyway, if torque is limited to those choices, then I would choose the 502 among the four since 1. it is a newer model and 2. it is not refurbished, and 3. it comes with DPL IIx capability, just in case you would want it.
Lines cut across my face...

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Jul 25, 2004 at 08:52 PM »
bros,

Mattmatt,

Sir sobra stretch yan..

Torque,

Get the AVR with the highest watts... and you'll need DTS ex & DD ex for DVD. :) :)

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Jul 25, 2004 at 09:42 PM »
bros,

mattmatt,

49k, mahirap na stretching yan, sir ;D

torque, you're right the sr501's and sr600's were all refurbished by onkyo. anyone, are these unit recalled by onkyo???  BTW, if you're budget permits, get the TX-SR502 since full featured na siya at 75w/channnel (Fronts and surrounds @ 8ohms), DTS 6.1 discrete and matrix, DD/DPL II,  HDTV-Ready Component Video Input/Output,  Digital Inputs-3 Optical, 1 Coaxial, Subwoofer pre-out. This is nice for an entry level AVR.  You also might want to consider other avr brands but if you prefer onkyos' then get the 502

Offline graphire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • www.thewealthysoul.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Jul 26, 2004 at 08:41 AM »

Krets, right if your friend gonna give you a good bargain then go ahead.. :) :) but if its price around 11k to 15k you'll have other options. :)

Thanks Krets & Hans for d reply. It's way way below the price range hans mentioned. It was a real bargain. Im using it na and I could'nt ask for more ( for now  :) ). It sounds good in music as it is in HT. Tsaka na ko mag-upgrade when budget permits.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Jul 26, 2004 at 08:59 AM »

Thanks Krets & Hans for d reply. It's way way below the price range hans mentioned. It was a real bargain. Im using it na and I could'nt ask for more ( for now  :) ). It sounds good in music as it is in HT. Tsaka na ko mag-upgrade when budget permits.

Bro Congrats... try to learn more about your AVR so you'll maximize its feature and setting..  :) :)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Jul 26, 2004 at 10:38 AM »
bros,

Where to get with those prices?

Offline torque

• DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Jul 26, 2004 at 10:11 PM »

torque, you're right the sr501's and sr600's were all refurbished by onkyo. anyone, are these unit recalled by onkyo???  BTW, if you're budget permits, get the TX-SR502 since full featured na siya at 75w/channnel (Fronts and surrounds @ 8ohms), DTS 6.1 discrete and matrix, DD/DPL II,  HDTV-Ready Component Video Input/Output,  Digital Inputs-3 Optical, 1 Coaxial, Subwoofer pre-out. This is nice for an entry level AVR.  You also might want to consider other avr brands but if you prefer onkyos' then get the 502

guys, thanks for the recommendation.  nag-iipon pa lang naman ako but my options are to buy the  reburbished  sr501 + onkyo dvd player or just buy a brand new sr502. i will also scout for other brands, i'll probably check circuit city this weekend.

mattmatt, 49k! baka balian ako ng buto ni misis nyan...

Philander, I got it from ecost.com those prices were already converted to Peso. Here's the link
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop/showcase/default.asp?showcase=onkyo
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 05:28 AM by torque »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 07:52 AM »
if you have easy to drive speakers, I would suggest the tx-sr502, i'm quite happy with this receiver ;)

Offline chatstix

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #256 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 08:04 AM »
well, even with the not-so-easy-to-drive speakers like the diamond 8.4 and diamond center. my tx-sr502 really is a bang for the buck. so good for both ht and audio/music.

Offline jaydiver

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Aug 04, 2004 at 01:46 AM »
Hi i'm new here in the pinoy DVD

I'm building our HT and recently purchased an Onkyo 502 receiver. Our media room is about 20 sq.m. Please advise me on what speaker I should purchase. I'm a newbie in the HT but was pretty experienced in the car audio since I was in college. Iv'ed auditioned a number of speakers and have taken out some of them. We are more for the clarity than power. Here is my shortlist.

A. Definitive Technologies

Pro Cinema 60
Promonitor Front
Promonitor Surround
Prosub

B. B&W with US audio sub

DM303 front
DM303 surround
LCR3 center
US audio 508

C. MK with US audio sub

k5 front
k5 surround
K7 center
US audio 508

We do 80% movie and 20 audio. My wife and I listened to A and we were happy with it. For us it sounded better than the warfdale, AR, Yamaha, Mission, gale, MS. We have set DefTech as our reference. We will still audition B and C in a few days. All options are in the P39t to P45t range. I know there are other options out there but we are pretty set on these 3. You might think why I'm pairing B&W and MK with US audio but I plan leave room for upgrade to a better sub in maybe a year’s time.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Aug 04, 2004 at 10:36 AM »
Your comparison seems a wee bit slanted in favour of the Def Tech considering all the speaker components are from the same brand, presumably with seamless integration.  OTH the others use another brand for the subwoofer.  Perhaps you can try auditioning them without any sub and see if your preference still holds.  If it still does, then go for it.

Offline ginamos

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Aug 08, 2004 at 06:55 PM »
Hi i'm new here in the pinoy DVD

I'm building our HT and recently purchased an Onkyo 502 receiver. Our media room is about 20 sq.m. Please advise me on what speaker I should purchase. I'm a newbie in the HT but was pretty experienced in the car audio since I was in college. Iv'ed auditioned a number of speakers and have taken out some of them. We are more for the clarity than power. Here is my shortlist.

A. Definitive Technologies

Pro Cinema 60
Promonitor Front
Promonitor Surround
Prosub

B. B&W with US audio sub

DM303 front
DM303 surround
LCR3 center
US audio 508

C. MK with US audio sub

k5 front
k5 surround
K7 center
US audio 508

We do 80% movie and 20 audio. My wife and I listened to A and we were happy with it. For us it sounded better than the warfdale, AR, Yamaha, Mission, gale, MS. We have set DefTech as our reference. We will still audition B and C in a few days. All options are in the P39t to P45t range. I know there are other options out there but we are pretty set on these 3. You might think why I'm pairing B&W and MK with US audio but I plan leave room for upgrade to a better sub in maybe a year’s time.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

hi!

i am using onkyo tx-sr601 and energy take 5.2 speakers.  if you will consider satellite speakers , give energy take 5.2 a try.
with 80% of your usage in movies, it's one of the best choices.

http://www.ginamos.com
Buy anything in Singapore!

Offline maglite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 01:46 PM »
how much is the sr-701 here in the phils? ???

thanks. O0

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 02:26 PM »
last time i check, it's about 37k pesos. almost the same as the yamaha rxv 1400.

Offline maglite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 02:32 PM »
saan available ang onkyo at maganda mag audition... ;D

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 03:13 PM »
Sir,

Sa Makati cinema square. There's a lot of stores there.
Sa Edsa Shangrila Mall meron din. I forgot the name of the store, Sound Dimension yata, near B&W Store, 4th or 5th floor (I'm not sure)....

Offline maglite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 11:11 AM »
available ba sa atin un sr-701 na color black?  ???

Offline dyames

• Apprentice
  • dyames pogi
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Sep 28, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
Visit Onkyo showroom in greenhills, telephone number 7238975

Offline lanceloth

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 05:07 PM »
To all guru out there, after reading your lectures about home theaters i think i need one of my own. I need your professional advice on what to look for in a receiver and speakers, as in the technical things they put in their brochures. I kinda got used to mini components which is much more simple. Is the Onkyo home theater in a box good enough for 31k? Un pa lang kc na-audition ko.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 09:31 PM »
lanceloth!  i'm not a guru in this but what i can suggest you is browse the home theatre in a box section or simply htib's.  there's nothing much discussion regarding speaker and amplifier modifications because they are packaged set-up.  meaning the wattage and frequencies are limited to the specs but for me it will do if your use will be primarily home theatre.  onkyo is a reliable brand but you can also try other htib's like pioneer, philips, panasonic, sony, yamaha etc.  what model did you see?  look for the specs from these brands and try to narrow down your choices which will stand out at a certain price bracket.  look for the following:  watts per channel, dts and dolby decoding, digital inputs, digital to analog conversions, frequency responses and dsp modes. 

available ba sa atin un sr-701 na color black? ???

it is available, bihira lang.

cheers

Offline lazeeb0y

• Collector
  • i'm invisible...
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 08:46 AM »
TX-SR502 ROCKS!  ;D
A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Nov 08, 2004 at 06:25 PM »
my gulay! there's a newer version of 601 and 701, the 602 and 702s!  :o
every year, they're upgrading their receivers, humahabol yata sa denon
mas gwapito yung 602 and 702, my blue lights sa gilid ng volume control ala hk

mabenta na kaya receiver ko hahaha  ;D