Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 539561 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #300 on: Jan 20, 2005 at 02:56 PM »
Definitely the AVR will be sending more current to lower impedance speakers, so they can sound louder, assuming the sensitivities are the same. 

This is easily remedied by adjusting the volume levels of the rears and fronts, independently, boosting your fronts or attenuating the rears.  You should get identical loudness on all channels at your listening position. 

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #301 on: Jan 20, 2005 at 03:10 PM »
Definitely the AVR will be sending more current to lower impedance speakers, so they can sound louder, assuming the sensitivities are the same. 

This is easily remedied by adjusting the volume levels of the rears and fronts, independently, boosting your fronts or attenuating the rears.  You should get identical loudness on all channels at your listening position. 

Thanks Sir av_phile. I'll try your suggestion mamaya pag-uwi ng bahay. I read somewhere in the manual na pwede i-adjust independently the volume of each channel from 0 db to -12db or 12db, just don't know kung para saan yung function na yun.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Jan 20, 2005 at 05:11 PM »
Thanks Sir av_phile. I'll try your suggestion mamaya pag-uwi ng bahay. I read somewhere in the manual na pwede i-adjust independently the volume of each channel from 0 db to -12db or 12db, just don't know kung para saan yung function na yun.

That's precisely their function - to balance the perceived loudness of all channels at your listening point. 

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #303 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 10:11 AM »
yep, you can adjust your settings through level calibration.   you can refer on your manual, i think it's the third from the main menu.  try to add some on your fronts then compensate on your surround speakers to equalize.  if you want more vocals on movies, you can adjust also your center levels.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline berniebau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Two heads are better, if they flock together...
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 05:24 PM »
in my case, yung surrounds are set higher than the fronts tpos yung center pinaka mataas.  my surrounds kasi are old component speakers  :P siguro mataas mababa masyado sensitivity o kaya, hindi nya masyado nailalabas ang tunog at certain freq.

TX-SR500
Diamond 8.4
Diamon Center
surronds:  ???old sharp comp spkers???

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 11:17 AM »
Mga sirs, another question lang po. I'm contemplating on buying a second hand Celestion Impact 40 to replace my current fronts (Wharfedale Modus 3). My question is, can Onkyo 501 handle this speaker considering that it is a three way speaker rated 150 watts more or less with 4 ohms impedance. Based on some reviews from the net, this speaker requires lots of power to really sing. I dont want to spend my hard earned savings kung di naman compatible sa system ko. Kindly post your opinion, thanks.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 12:12 PM »
hmm. my opinion only

if you're driving a floorstander (i'm assuming if the celestion 3-way speaker), try to get a better amp/receiver rating at least 80 watts per channel driving 8 ohms.  knowing an onkyo receiver, you have to crank the volume to make it louder.  and i think the 501 has 65 watts/channel based on specs so baka mahirapan lang speakers mo.  i'm not sure if the celestion speakers are easy to drive speakers but if it is, baka pwede rin yung onkyo 501.

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
hmm. my opinion only

if you're driving a floorstander (i'm assuming if the celestion 3-way speaker), try to get a better amp/receiver rating at least 80 watts per channel driving 8 ohms.  knowing an onkyo receiver, you have to crank the volume to make it louder.  and i think the 501 has 65 watts/channel based on specs so baka mahirapan lang speakers mo.  i'm not sure if the celestion speakers are easy to drive speakers but if it is, baka pwede rin yung onkyo 501.

Ah ok. But whatabout the rule in solid state amp not to use lower impedance speaker with that required by the amplifier (i.e. 8 ohms vs 4 ohms), does it apply here?
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2005 at 02:28 PM by juneaki »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 02:46 PM »
yes i think so juneaki, it applies to every speakers/amps.  the latest onkyo amps can handle lower impedance speakers but higher impedance is much preferred.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2005 at 02:47 PM by krets pulpol »

Offline tym

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Feb 18, 2005 at 11:10 AM »
We are inviting everyone here to see and audition our new  FLAGSHIP MODEL
ONKYO TX-NR1000

Visit our showroom or call  7238975.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Feb 18, 2005 at 11:20 AM »
Onkyo TX-NR1000

I wonder how this new flagship stacks up with the flagships of Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer?  Initial cursory comparisons based on published specs seems to indicate that it is barely at par with the Yamaha Z9, Pioneer AX10AiG and the Denon AVR-5803 as the finest  flagship HT receiver specimens on earth.   ;D  What's the local retail price?
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2005 at 11:38 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #311 on: Feb 18, 2005 at 11:41 AM »
Onkyo TX-NR1000

I wonder how this new flagship stacks up with the flagships of Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer?  Initial cursory comparisons based on published specs seems to indicate that it is barely at par with the Yamaha Z9, Pioneer AX10AiG and the Denon AVR-5803 as the finest  flagship HT receiver specimens on earth.   ;D What's the local retail price?

P250,000 - asked the sales rep last year during the games and gadgets show at megamall.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 12:22 PM »
P250,000 - asked the sales rep last year during the games and gadgets show at megamall.

Mag Z9 na lang ako.  "Lang" ha ;D  (Same price, same heft and weight, better features, higher power, well-reviewed, proven performance after  1 year in the market, 9.1 pa.)  That's just me ofcourse.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2005 at 12:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 01:51 PM »
How about the Denon 5803 or 5805?? this thing weights around 48Kgs.. I've heard one being demoed and at first I thought I was listening to a solid state amp and not to an AVR since an arcam, krell, and a accuphase amp is sitting next to this huge thing, until the tech guy crank the volume a bit further, that's the only time I knew that it was denon who's driving the very expensive and large speakers..... the sound was very good....this AVR is amazing.....

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 03:00 PM »
The Denon 5805 and the Pioneer AX10Aig are excellent competitors to the Yamaha Z9 for the title of the most powerful if not the finest receiver on earth - the mother of all receivers.  All sharing about the same power,  heft and weight.  Not to mention SRP.  Now comes the Onkyo TX-NR5000E which is the latest to join the battle.  Still awaiting the entry of Rotel, HK and NAD, among others. 
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2005 at 03:10 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #315 on: Mar 07, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
meron na ba sa inyo na ka try ng tx-sr702? ok kaya ito for 7.1. ano kaya ang magandang ipartner na speaker setup dito? Thanks in advance.

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
a friend of mine has a 702, paired with a B&W 602 S3 series/package speakers....and a sub...ASW 650...

all I can say is akala ko eh lumilindol na dun sa condo nya....hehehehe  tinesting namin yung pirates of the caribbean DVD na kabibili ko at that time....

it is also very very good in music....

sadly he migrated to Canada already, and he brought his gears with him.... sayang, ganda pa naman nung 7.1 setup nya using all B&W speakers and all Onkyo AVR, DVD, and a CD player.....

sarap sanang tumambay sa kanila, naka-wide LCD TV na sya eh....hehehehe

Offline marckd1

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2005 at 05:55 AM »
i'm also want to get this 702 model in replacement of my yamaha rx v1400 which is for sale right now. I just bought it last month and no defect whatsoever. I'm more into audio kaya replace ko na lng ng onkyo.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2005 at 08:13 AM »
Why not try TX-SR701 THX Certified?

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 05:12 PM »
Mga bro, may bagong showroom ang Onkyo and B&W along West Ave. They have a display of Signature 805 Grey Tigers Eye.

Offline positive_noise

• Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 06:00 PM »
Hi Bro, ;)

Any review on ONKYO TX-SR702! It was highly appreciated on foreign forum/reviews and rated with 5/5 ratings! The reviewers of the receivers were all credible... i got to hear this 702! >:D >:D >:D

***********************************************************************************

From www.audioreview.com

Product Model Year:

Summary:
I thought I’d take a few minutes to share my reasons for selecting an Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver to power my dedicated home theater.

I’m running a 65” Hitachi projection HDTV, Klipsch RF-3 II mains, an RC-3 II center and four RS-35 surrounds. I am also using a Boston Acoustics PV700 sub.

Over the past couple of months, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time bringing home and auditioning the following receivers:
Onkyo TX-SR602
Yamaha RX-V1500
Denon AVR 3805
Harman Kardon AVR 430
Harman Kardon AVR 630
Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi
Onkyo TX-SR702

I set out with a $500 budget to upgrade from a four year-old Yamaha 5.1 channel AVR and first went to Onkyo since I have had excellent results with their past products. Beginning with the TX-SR602, I immediately noticed an improvement in overall sound as the Onkyo was fuller in the low and mid range while being less “tiring” than the old Yamaha, which has now been relegated to my family room.

Since I hadn’t looked at new receivers in some time, I decided to continue my research and went to a local dealer to extensively compare a Yamaha RX-V1500 with the Elite VSX-56TXi and the Denon AVR 3805. All three were located in the same room and the salesman left me alone for over two hours while I ran every type of A/B comparison I could (using essentially the same speakers that I have at home). Realizing that each 7.1 receiver has common home theater, surround sound functions, I decided to focus on music reproduction for these tests and found that the Yamaha and Denon were nearly identical in sound quality. When compared to either Yamaha or Denon, the Elite felt smoother in the low and mid range. Especially when played at lower volumes. However, what the Elite enjoyed in “smoothness” it lacked in “detail”. Since I listen to allot of jazz and vocals… clarity of sound and the subtle nuances of a woodwind or female voice were lacking with the Elite. Out of these three… the Yamaha was the clear winner with its excellent sound definition and expanded home theater functionality.

While trying to get the smoothness of the Elite and the detail of the Yamaha, I decided next to spend a considerable amount of time researching and bringing home the Harman Kardon AVR430 and AVR630 receivers. The sound was excellent and clearly exceeded that of the Yamaha. Nice and smooth with great attention to detail and overall response. Both are 6.1 receivers and have now been replaced with the AVR435 and AVR635 respectively. I intended to step-up to the new receivers as soon as they became available… probably going with the AVR435 since it was closest (although still higher) to my original budget.

However, I continued to research the Harman Kardon lines (I had owned an HK receiver nearly 30 years ago), and I began to see several postings questioning the “build quality” of these receivers. A number of people had run into problems and returned or exchanged their initial units until they found one that worked. I also began to see how difficult they were to setup and “tweak” to achieve all of the benefits of their advanced technology.

Since my home theater is designed to be used by my wife and two children in addition to myself, I began to see how difficult HK would be for them to use when I wasn’t around to set it up for them. In addition, HK’s remote controls are large and unwieldy. Although backlit, the buttons were small and not well labeled for use in the darkness of a home theater application. I’m sure I would have enjoyed tweaking and playing with either of these receivers, however I value my marriage and family and could see where this would quickly become a problem that I wasn’t interested in wrestling with.

All of this led me back to my first impressions of the Onkyo TX-SR602 so I decided to take a closer look at the next step up… the TX-SR702.

In addition to more inputs, more power and a lighted remote, the TX-SR702 is also a THX Select certified receiver. While not meaning a whole lot… it does give this receiver some credibility that it meets or exceeds all specifications required for THX Select certification.

The sound of this receiver met all of my requirements. It was smooth and full yet extremely transparent and detailed at all volume levels. DVD audio is a joy to listen to through this setup and never gets tiring. It provides all of the expected 7.1 surround modes and handles them well for home theater. And, it’s easy to use with a well laid out (although large) backlit remote control.

And finally… buying this receiver online for just over $600 (shipped) from onecall.com got me everything I wanted in an upgraded system without exceeding my budget by very much. I’m happy AND my wife is happy. Good stuff!

A final word on onecall.com… this was my first experience with them and I’ll go back for future purchases. First, they are an authorized Onkyo dealer. In addition to a well laid out website, the person I spoke with on the phone was friendly and helpful i

Strengths:
Excellent Sound
Easy to Use
7.1 channels
Good, backlit remote

Weaknesses:
Not many... see the review.

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2005 at 06:11 PM by positive_noise »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #321 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 12:44 AM »
hey guys! what do you think about pairing the sr702 w/ b&w 604 s2? i heard that the 604's are power hungry, do you think the 702 will match well? my room is about 40sqr mtrs. thnx!

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 09:14 PM »
Any 503 owners here?

Offline einnoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Dec 11, 2005 at 06:50 PM »
ok ba ang tsr501?

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Dec 12, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
ok ba ang tsr501?
I have a 501 bought almost 2 yrs ago, I did not upgrade anymore since I am more into audio now. However, will advise you to go into entry levels of yamaha or harman kardon. Mas malakas sila lalo na on powering those subs if you are to go more into HT. Be patient and take more time testing brands and their respective models. With a tight budget, you should be very patient and careful when choosing.
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline einnoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Dec 12, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
thanks

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Dec 14, 2005 at 10:25 PM »
einnoc got the marantz sr 4500. I might get the 501.

Onkyo vs. Marantz. 7.1 vs. 6.1

Wharfes vs. MS

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Dec 15, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
einnoc got the marantz sr 4500. I might get the 501.

Onkyo vs. Marantz. 7.1 vs. 6.1

Wharfes vs. MS
the 501 has already an option for the rear center, well for the speakers, Wharfes will match since series 8
is at the range of 100 watts and 6 ohms impedance. I'm not familiar with MS specs though. AVR and receiver are both I think still on the buy and sell thread. If you are to go to series 9, I suggest 9.4 model for the fronts.
     Just an advise based on personal taste and experience.

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Dec 24, 2005 at 11:31 PM »
I was watching this movie where a guy is waiting on a doctor's clinic when suddenly I heard what I thought at first to be clipping. I was totally pissed off, then I heard a DING! It wasn't clipping but an out of scene typwriter sound (someone typing in another room).

Talk about detail.

My HT stuff-Toshiba 28 Z1P, Onkyo 501, WHarfe 8.4, Diamond 9 CS, tomorrow I will get my WH2 surrounds and (rear) center, all pre-owned, all rock-bottom price. Thank God for multimedia and PinoyDvd members for all the tips and discounts. :)

LG Dvd player is brand new.

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
I was watching this movie where a guy is waiting on a doctor's clinic when suddenly I heard what I thought at first to be clipping. I was totally pissed off, then I heard a DING! It wasn't clipping but an out of scene typwriter sound (someone typing in another room).

Talk about detail.

My HT stuff-Toshiba 28 Z1P, Onkyo 501, WHarfe 8.4, Diamond 9 CS, tomorrow I will get my WH2 surrounds and (rear) center, all pre-owned, all rock-bottom price. Thank God for multimedia and PinoyDvd members for all the tips and discounts. :)

LG Dvd player is brand new.
for the best set up for the LFE (1) set the subwoofer mode on the receiver to 1 (2) set the receiver cutoff to 80 (3) set the sub unit cutoff to 70..... and BOOM at zero channel volume setting, your HT area will rock...... Happy HT viewing.