Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106832 times)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1440 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:10 PM »
Wala na ba talagang hope for transformers blu-ray?

Here bro...  ;D  lol  :D  just kidding buddy.

PQ: 3.0
AQ: 2.0

REVIEW CLICK HERE.

Seriously, I hope Michael Bay's Transformers does make the 'leap.' Let's see how Paramount plays this.  ::)
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:12 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline choy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1441 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 05:27 AM »
PS3 is a good chicken-or-the-egg marketing by Sony

if you're a gamer, you buy the PS3 for the games.  then you get the BluRay player then you can buy BluRay movies

if you're a HD movie buff, you will consider the PS3 because its cheaper than most BluRay players and there's the HD games as well.  you will think that why not get the PS3 primarilyl as a player, and you get to play games as well

the HD-DVD doesn't have the same push since its an expensive option for the XBox360.  although they did bring the price of the players down

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1442 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:30 AM »
I guess the title for this thread should read: The War Has Ended...
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:12 AM »
I guess the title for this thread should read: The War Has Ended...

Hehehe.. You are indeed correct! Jan. 04, 2007 is the declaration of Victory to BluRay
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:28 AM »
Hehehe.. You are indeed correct! Jan. 04, 2007 is the declaration of Victory to BluRay
Happy New Year sir...;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:28 AM by Munskie »

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1445 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
still, there was always a downside for any winner in this war - that is, the demise of one of the formats does not automatically guarantee long term success for the other.

it's up to sony now to make it work or screw it up...

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:48 PM »
actually sony is just one of the players, dami na rin sila Disney, Warner, Fox etc...

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #1447 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:02 PM »
still, there was always a downside for any winner in this war - that is, the demise of one of the formats does not automatically guarantee long term success for the other.

it's up to sony now to make it work or screw it up...

Yup thats the big question, if it will be adopted by the mass market. Imo, it might not win against dvd, Imagine I will buy a bluray player for my 70 plus year old parents or my sisters  and tell them they have to update the player once in a while for the movie to work..Im sure they will go HUH?? Not only that if you want more features connect to the net..HUH?? Im sure that will be most of the response for the not so tech savvy people (Me included in this) Im still running 1.82 in my ps3 (lazy to update also),  and never check the net for those extra features yet. Actually havent watched any extra features on those discs.  ;D Gotta start watching them..

To me they made it too complicated for the regular joes.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:55 PM »
Yup thats the big question, if it will be adopted by the mass market. Imo, it might not win against dvd, Imagine I will buy a bluray player for my 70 plus year old parents or my sisters  and tell them they have to update the player once in a while for the movie to work..Im sure they will go HUH?? Not only that if you want more features connect to the net..HUH?? Im sure that will be most of the response for the not so tech savvy people (Me included in this) Im still running 1.82 in my ps3 (lazy to update also),  and never check the net for those extra features yet. Actually havent watched any extra features on those discs.  ;D Gotta start watching them..

To me they made it too complicated for the regular joes.

Well they have to start to learn how to go about with this new "thing".. Before many oldies and not so oldies were intimidated with the computer but then again many nowadays both old and young knew how to use the computers because they have to.. and its just part of life.. Gotta learn what is new for you to be able to enjoy new technology and benefit from it..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
Easier said than done.

Old folks cannot ignore computers because there is no alternative; but they can easily ignore Blu-ray because SD-DVD works just fine.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
Kaya nga andyan yung mga apo at anak nila e, para sila na gumawa nun para sa kanila.  ;D As per experience dealing with my "old school" relatives, kailangan lang naman silang pagtyagaang turuan ng mga basic set up, lalo na pagdating sa mga video players. They're not usually after the DTS audio or special features. All they want to know is how to insert the media, play it, pause (weee wee breaks are aplenty) and power it off. After that,madali na ituro yung ibang bagay.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:15 PM »
Easier said than done.

Old folks cannot ignore computers because there is no alternative; but they can easily ignore Blu-ray because SD-DVD works just fine.

I guess there is no difference between Blu-ray or SD-DVD with regards to the step by step process in viewing them.  Pop in the disc, play and that's it.  Blu-ray players play SD-DVD also so pinagkaiba lang talga is you have to buy a player that plays both SD and HD discs.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 02:58 AM »
this maybe the final nail in the coffin.......

http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Well... we've had SOME confirmation this morning of the details of the Financial Times story from last night. While the studio isn't yet commenting, reliable industry sources are telling us that Paramount is indeed preparing to end their HD-DVD support and announce a return to the Blu-ray fold. Details are currently being finalized, and an announcement is expected as soon as they're complete. Paramount's first new Blu-rays will almost certainly include many of those titles that were cancelled last year, but that were already packaged and ready for shipping, so you could see them in stores very quickly once the studio announces.

Meanwhile, sources are telling us that Universal has also been talking with the BDA, and is looking to follow Paramount and Warner's lead as soon as possible.

On a related note, Times Online in the U.K. is now reporting that as many as 20 additional firms currently backing HD-DVD are also considering defection in the wake of Warner's Friday announcement, including Fujitsu, Lenovo, Kenwood and Pony Canyon (which is a major Japanese film and music studio).

What's more, word is starting to circulate at CES that major big box retailers will begin winding down in-store support for HD-DVD as soon as these studios go public with their decisions. We're told that the industry's major retail partners are already pressuring Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal to go Blu following Warner's decision.

Rumors are also beginning to circulate here that Apple's Steve Jobs may announce the addition of Blu-ray Disc drives to their Mac desktop lineup at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

We would caution you to keep in mind that all of this should be considered unofficial until the studios make their actual announcements. Things are moving very fast, and the situation is highly fluid. Still, it really looks like this is the end for HD-DVD, and the end of the format war overall. We'll keep you up to date with new developments as they break.

Stay tuned...

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 05:10 AM »
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:11 AM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:32 AM »
New Line dropping HD-DVD immediately

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/New_Line/Industry_Trends/New_Line_Details_Transition_to_Blu-ray/1351

I guess no Austin Powers in HD-DVD @_@ who cares, just bring out LOTR already ^_^

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:55 AM »
at least the PS3 has won Sony one war

for every gamer who buys the PS3, they are instantly one person who has a BluRay player

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:58 AM »
this maybe the final nail in the coffin.......reliable industry sources are telling us that Paramount is indeed preparing to end their HD-DVD support and announce a return to the Blu-ray fold.

Meanwhile, sources are telling us that Universal has also been talking with the BDA, and is looking to follow Paramount and Warner's lead as soon as possible.

Times Online in the U.K. is now reporting that as many as 20 additional firms currently backing HD-DVD are also considering defection in the wake of Warner's Friday announcement, including Fujitsu, Lenovo, Kenwood and Pony Canyon (which is a major Japanese film and music studio).

...that major big box retailers will begin winding down in-store support for HD-DVD as soon as these studios go public with their decisions. We're told that the industry's major retail partners are already pressuring Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal to go Blu following Warner's decision.

Whoa....the above are major moves which are not unexpected. These will indeed aggravate the situation & devastate HD DVD completely! :o

There's no point in prolonging & avoiding the inevitable.  :-[

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 08:39 AM »
Whoa....the above are major moves which are not unexpected. These will indeed aggravate the situation & devastate HD DVD completely! :o

There's no point in prolonging & avoiding the inevitable.  :-[

They should concede na and move on..

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 01:03 PM »
wondering what's going at the HD-DVD/BD booth? here's some pics

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 03:14 PM »
Report: Paramount Could Drop HD DVD Exclusivity Support
http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Paramount+Could+Drop+HD+DVD+Exclusivity+Support/article10268.htm

This could be another hard blow to HD-DVD camp...  :D

With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
Cant wait to see Transformers and the Bourne series at the Blu side.
One Ring with The Force

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1461 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
Cant wait to see Transformers and the Bourne series at the Blu side.

me too  ;) was thinking of going nuetral this year but with this development i guess i will stay blue  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1462 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 04:51 PM »
wondering what's going at the HD-DVD/BD booth? here's some pics

It's a big embarrassment...no one will dare to show his face eh :-X

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1463 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
Format neutral

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
indeed very poor marketing done in promoting HD-DVD. Then again, when they called it HD-DVD, it was already destined to fail.

why call high definition HD-DVD??? its just so boring. BLU-RAY sounds so much more futuristic. of course thats the marketing side of it.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 07:08 PM »
why call high definition HD-DVD??? its just so boring. BLU-RAY sounds so much more futuristic. of course thats the marketing side of it.

It's not the name that cause its failure LOL....but for me, it's kinda cute... ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM »
With doomsday sure to come for HD DVD, paano na yung Internet Access ng mga HD DVD movies? Will they be still around?

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1467 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 06:39 AM »
With doomsday sure to come for HD DVD, paano na yung Internet Access ng mga HD DVD movies? Will they be still around?

that would be up to the studios.....

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM »
It's not the name that cause its failure LOL....but for me, it's kinda cute... ;D

thats not it. im sure the power brokers of HDDVD and BD wont think so as well. But you'd be surprised how things like this will manifest itself during in depth research projects done on consumers.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM »

It depends on the marketing strategy.

The name HD DVD implies an evolution of DVD.  A high def disc based on an existing format connotes affordability and reliability.

The name Blu ray is not evolutionary, it is revolutionary.  It's not based on SD, it's entirely new, built from the ground up.  Instead of simply retooling exisitng DVD facilities, it requires entirely new facilities. 

Some may like the idea of a revolutionary product, but to others, revolutionary implies "overpriced" and "unreliable".

But the Blu ray name did not arise solely from marketing.  Sony's camp wanted to monopolize the HD disc business.  They could no longer go for the "evolutionary" approach because HD DVD already cornered that one.  So they went for the "revolutionary" approach. 

Now that they had the revolutionary approach, they thought of Blu ray as the revolutionary name to go with it.

===================================   

I agree with you there.   :)  Studio alliances doomed a superior format.

It's easy to say HD DVD is a bad name now, after it has already lost the war.  If sir ctlim76 said that as early as last year, when people were saying that the name Blu-ray sounds like "Blurry", then that would have been really impressive.

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

thats not it. im sure the power brokers of HDDVD and BD wont think so as well. But you'd be surprised how things like this will manifest itself during in depth research projects done on consumers.

Yes, that would be interesting.  It's really difficult to analyze if we don't have the data.

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008 at 01:37 PM by barrister »