Author Topic: Pioneer DV-600AV-S (1080p upscaling dvd player)  (Read 89887 times)

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer DV-400/DV-600 USB slot for movies viewing
« Reply #270 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 10:43 AM »
Additional Information:

Any USB flash drive can accessed by these players. Picture quality depends on the quality of the file. Most of TV series I downloaded are of good quality. Most are comparable to DVD video resolution. And yes, all videos coming out of the HDMI port are being upscaled to 720P/1080i/p. For external hard drives to be accessed, most of these devices need to be powered, meaning it has to have a separate power cord, plugged in a separate power source (AC outlet) and of course, in FAT32 type partition.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM by aligonzales »

Offline TeddyCuds

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • This is It!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Pioneer DV-400/DV-600 USB slot for movies viewing
« Reply #271 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 06:43 PM »
another tip: make sure your divx files are less than 1GB in size. the player usually wont play these files. if your file more than 1GB, just split them into small files with proper indexing.
 :)

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer DV-600AV-S (1080p upscaling dvd player)
« Reply #272 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
I bought Pioneer DV-600AV-S last Friday to upgrade from Pioneer DV-393AV-S.  I paired this new player with my recently bought Panasonic 42PV70 plasma.  I experimented with various video setting in the DV-600 player and here are my impressions:

1.  I got the best image quality if player is set to 720P via HDMI and HDMI color is set to full RGB.
2.  The 1080P via HDMI setting yields an "over-processed" video quality.  This may be due to multiple video conversion; the player upconverts to 1080P, then the plasma tv downconverts to 720P to meet its 720P native resolution.
3.  Any progressive settings seems to have better image quality than the interlace settings.

The player's video settings were adjusted to "0" or default, but the BNR (Block Noise Reduction) was set to 'Yes".  Video setting were done on the display only.  This is to minimize over processing of the video image.

For reference by users of Pana 42PV70, here are my display's video settings:
      a.  Mode: Cinema
      b.  Contrast: 70
      c.  Brightness: 64
      d.  Color: 38
      e.  Sharpness: 70
      f.  Color Temp: Cool
      g.  All other setting are left untouched in default.

For the plasma calibration, I used Sound and Video Essentials (by Ovation) set-up DVD.  I used Finding Nemo, Pearl Harbor, and the DTS Demo Disc 6 and 8 to validate the calibration.  I did not follow the 100 (or 200) hours break-in period for plasma because this 10th generation plasma panel does not need break-in period anymore.

I had a chance to compare 480P via component (using my old DV-393 player) vs 480P via HDMI (using this new DV-600 player).  I say that there is a very distinct video image improvement via HDMI, more so if its 720P via HDMI!  The 720P HDMI produced video with vibrant colors, very deep blacks and sharp, well focused images.  Its almost HD-quality already!

Overall, I may conclude that the Pio DV-600 and Pana 42PV70 is a perfect tandem, truly bang for the buck!  For now, I'll settle for this tandem while waiting for the winner in the on-going HD format war...
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:27 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 08:26 PM »
I bought Pioneer DV-600AV-S last Friday to upgrade from Pioneer DV-393AV-S.  I paired this new player with my recently bought Panasonic 42PV70 plasma.  I experimented with various video setting in the DV-600 player and here are my impressions:

1.  I got the best image quality if player is set to 720P via HDMI and HDMI color is set to full RGB.
2.  The 1080P via HDMI setting yields an "over-processed" video quality.  This may be due to multiple video conversion; the player upconverts to 1080P, then the plasma tv downconverts to 720P to meet its 720P native resolution.
3.  Any progressive settings seems to have better image quality than the interlace settings.

The player's video settings were adjusted to "0" or default, but the BNR (Block Noise Reduction) was set to 'Yes".  Video setting were done on the display only.  This is to minimize over processing of the video image.

For reference by users of Pana 42PV70, here are my display's video settings:
      a.  Mode: Cinema
      b.  Contrast: 70
      c.  Brightness: 64
      d.  Color: 38
      e.  Sharpness: 70
      f.  Color Temp: Cool
      g.  All other setting are left untouched in default.

For the plasma calibration, I used Sound and Video Essentials (by Ovation) set-up DVD.  I used Finding Nemo, Pearl Harbor, and the DTS Demo Disc 6 and 8 to validate the calibration.  I did not follow the 100 (or 200) hours break-in period for plasma because this 10th generation plasma panel does not need break-in period anymore.

I had a chance to compare 480P via component (using my old DV-393 player) vs 480P via HDMI (using this new DV-600 player).  I say that there is a very distinct video image improvement via HDMI, more so if its 720P via HDMI!  The 720P HDMI produced video with vibrant colors, very deep blacks and sharp, well focused images.  Its almost HD-quality already!

Overall, I may conclude that the Pio DV-600 and Pana 42PV70 is a perfect tandem, truly bang for the buck!  For now, I'll settle for this tandem while waiting for the winner in the on-going HD format war...

Sir, how about sa purely audio lang. What's your impression?
I know you use it for HT. But just want to know how it performs sa audio.

Thanks

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:05 PM »
Ok bro, used it also in pure audio.  My observation in direct comparison with my old DV-393:  the DV-600 sounded better... as long as I use analog audio connection.  The sound seems "mas makapal", mas feel ko ang presence nung singer at instruments (upps, 'can't properly describe in words...). If via digital connection, audio is same with DV-393.  I wish I can try also the SACD and DVD audio, unfortunately I have no such type of CDs.  I think DV-600 has a better audio DAC vs DV-393 hence the latter sounds better.  The DV-600 is engineered to handle SACD and DVD audio, maybe it also contributes to its improved audio performance.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:08 PM by fnvillafuerte »

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
Ok bro, used it also in pure audio.  My observation in direct comparison with my old DV-393:  the DV-600 sounded better... as long as I use analog audio connection.  The sound seems "mas makapal", mas feel ko ang presence nung singer at instruments (upps, 'can't properly describe in words...). If via digital connection, audio is same with DV-393.  I wish I can try also the SACD and DVD audio, unfortunately I have no such type of CDs.  I think DV-600 has a better audio DAC vs DV-393 hence the latter sounds better.  The DV-600 is engineered to handle SACD and DVD audio, maybe it also contributes to its improved audio performance.

Sir, thanks for the feedback.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 06:17 AM »
i sometimes experience sudden pauses and stops on my downloaded avi's when played on a usb stick, and sometimes the lip synch gets out of timing.. any of you experience these problems? or maybe it is just me since i mainly use my pio dv-600 for pi***ed copies in the likes of downloaded avi videos.

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 09:07 AM »
^I also experienced the delayed lip synch with my downloaded avi's played using a USB flashdrive. Can this be due to the downloaded file not already in synch? I have also experienced this before with my old player playing burned downloaded avi.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 10:38 AM »
but in my old nextbase player, i had no problem with delayed lip synch of all the various types of avi's that i throw at its usb port using usb stick...

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
boybi,xxadonisxx, I don't experience this on my Pio 600 player. My tip is that when you compile your divx on DVD-R, burn the divx vids using 4X only and not the maximum write speed. Enjoy!  :)

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 11:50 AM »
@grimlock

yes i only burn at 4x speeds particulary at ps2 games... but i use dvd+r disks since my compilations are more on data. the synch problem maybe because of a particular video which was encoded at a way which is not compatible with the pio 600's playback speed.

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 12:11 PM »
boybi,xxadonisxx, I don't experience this on my Pio 600 player. My tip is that when you compile your divx on DVD-R, burn the divx vids using 4X only and not the maximum write speed. Enjoy!  :)

Hmm, maybe. I always burn at max speed  ;D

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #282 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 06:51 AM »
Does PIO 600 play SACD by streaming in pure DSD rather than converting DSD to PCM?
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
bros ano yung settings nyo sa dv600 nyo sa audio n other output settings dun? TIA

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 01:39 PM »
^I also experienced the delayed lip synch with my downloaded avi's played using a USB flashdrive. Can this be due to the downloaded file not already in synch? I have also experienced this before with my old player playing burned downloaded avi.

It could be your flashdrive too.  Not all flashdrive have the same speed throughput. Kinda like, browsing the net via dial-up, your web page displays part by part.

Offline tennisdude

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
i bought this player early this week and it's just the past 2 day i had time to play around with it.  i have a question to the owners who had tested it much more extensively.  i'll be using this player mostly for divx. i tried playing divx, avi, and wmv files.  no problem.  however, i noticed it doesn't support MP4.  i also don't think it supports MPEG. 

does anybody have a list of the file format it supports and doesn't?  also, what can i use to convert to different file format without loss of quality? tia.

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 01:30 PM »
....does anybody have a list of the file format it supports and doesn't?  also, what can i use to convert to different file format without loss of quality? tia.

CD-R/-RW compatibility
• Compatible formats: CD-Audio, Video CD/ Super VCD, ISO 9660 CD-ROM containing MP3, WMA, MPEG-4 AAC,
JPEG or DivX video/WMV files. ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 compliant.
• CD physical format: Mode1, Mode2 XA Form1. Romeo and Joliet file systems are both compatible with this player.
• Multi-session playback: No
• Unfinalized disc playback: No
• File structure (may differ): Up to 299 folders on a disc; up to 648 folders and files (combined) within each folder

DVD+R/DVD+RW compatibility
Only DVD+R/DVD+RW discs recorded in ‘Video Mode (DVD Video Mode)’ which have been finalized, can be played back. However, some editing made during the recording may not be played back accurately.

DVD-R/-RW compatibility
• Compatible formats: DVD-Video, Video Recording (VR). Edit points may not play exactly as edited; screen may go momentarily blank at edited points.
• Unfinalized playback: No
• MP3/WMA/MPEG-4 AAC/JPEG or DivX video/WMV file playback on DVD-R/-RW: No

Compressed audio compatibility
• Compatible formats: MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (MP3), Windows Media Audio (WMA), MPEG-4 AAC
• Sampling rates: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
• Bit-rates: Any (128 kbps or higher recommended)
• VBR (variable bit rate) MP3/WMA/MPEG-4
• AAC playback: No
• WMA lossless encoding compatible: No
• DRM (Digital Rights Management) compatible: No (DRM-protected audio files will not play in this player)
• File extensions: .mp3, .wma, .m4a (these must be used for the player to recognize MP3, WMA and MPEG-4 AAC files – do not use for other file types)

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
 :( can't play any divx and HD movies using USB. i have'nt tried burning it sa CD/DVD. anyway, na-try nyo na ba to? if yes, then baka pwede makahingi ng sample movie, pref HighDef movies, para lang ma-test ko kung working. or download link sa mga sample clips. lahat ng na-download ko, so far wala pang playable e. thanks

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 03:34 PM »
:( can't play any divx and HD movies using USB. i have'nt tried burning it sa CD/DVD. anyway, na-try nyo na ba to? if yes, then baka pwede makahingi ng sample movie, pref HighDef movies, para lang ma-test ko kung working. or download link sa mga sample clips. lahat ng na-download ko, so far wala pang playable e. thanks

Hindi supported yng divx-HD bro. May limit sya sa size nung resolution

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 04:18 PM »
oh-oh.. ok hehe. thanks

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #290 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
Does PIO 600 play SACD by streaming in pure DSD rather than converting DSD to PCM?

Nobody's answered this yet.  Am also interested to know.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 05:48 PM »

I'm watching downloaded TV series from torrents using USB.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 05:50 PM »

In my observation, this player is not good for playing with multi-channel DVD-A or SACD. 2 channel high resolution set-up is fine for DVD-A and superb for SACD playback compared to DVD-A.

1080p video quality is worth for the price

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline bartek

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 11:47 AM »
Finally, I was able to play my divx/avi file from my 320GB HDD with 3.5" Philips SATA enclosure through USB.  ;)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #294 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 03:31 AM »
Hi Guys, ;D

I just read this topic from the first post to the last. Certainly there are alot of points to be considered. Here's my dilemma...I have a Sammy R81 and an ordinary Philips DVD player, which is connected by a Belkin component video cable. The result is superb PQ. Both are connected to a BADA LC may I add. So far so good right? Now, my question is, if I were to upgrade to an upscaling DVD player, which player would fit my Sammy R81? Also, will there be any improvements whatsoever in terms of PQ if I upgrade? ???
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007 at 07:04 AM by stickfighter »

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #295 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 09:19 AM »
Hi Guys, ;D

I just read this topic from the first post to the last. Certainly there are alot of points to be considered. Here's my dilemma...I have a Sammy R81 and an ordinary Philips DVD player, which is connected by a Belkin component video cable. The result is superb PQ. Both are connected to a BADA LC may I add. So far so good right? Now, my question is, if I were to upgrade to an upscaling DVD player, which player would fit my Sammy R81? Also, will there be any improvements whatsoever in terms of PQ if I upgrade? ???

Just a quick response - YES, with a few conditions which has to be satisfied.  First am assuming your R81 has HDMI inputs so the DVD upscaler being discussed in this thread would be relevant.  The Pio 600AV can upscale up to 1080p provided your TV can handle it.  Am not quite sure if the R81 if Full HD or just HD Ready, if it's the former then you can go the full distance and get your SD DVDs upscaled to 1080p resolution.  You have to switch from components to HDMI naturally to experience this 'enhancement.'

Coming from a regular Philips DVD player like you mentioned and connected via components, switching to Pio 600AV will definitely have PQ improvements. You're quite possibly jumping from 720x480 res to full HD quality of 1920x1080 - for sure there would be a noticeable diff.  ;)

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:10 AM »
Just a quick response - YES, with a few conditions which has to be satisfied.  First am assuming your R81 has HDMI inputs so the DVD upscaler being discussed in this thread would be relevant.  The Pio 600AV can upscale up to 1080p provided your TV can handle it.  Am not quite sure if the R81 if Full HD or just HD Ready, if it's the former then you can go the full distance and get your SD DVDs upscaled to 1080p resolution.  You have to switch from components to HDMI naturally to experience this 'enhancement.'

Coming from a regular Philips DVD player like you mentioned and connected via components, switching to Pio 600AV will definitely have PQ improvements. You're quite possibly jumping from 720x480 res to full HD quality of 1920x1080 - for sure there would be a noticeable diff.  ;)

R81 can only handle 720p and 1080i. When movie plus mode of r81 is on at 720p, the effect is similar to pixel plus of philips tv but there are sum jitters on thin vertical object on screen,ie, poles, tree trunks etc. Better set the pio to 720p. I tried also 1080i but the pq of 720p with movie plus mode is much better. Tweak the color settings of both sammy and pio to your likeness. Here's a link to guide you http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513376 . Decreasing the sharpness of the sammy also improves the pq.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #297 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM »
R81 can only handle 720p and 1080i. When movie plus mode of r81 is on at 720p, the effect is similar to pixel plus of philips tv but there are sum jitters on thin vertical object on screen,ie, poles, tree trunks etc. Better set the pio to 720p. I tried also 1080i but the pq of 720p with movie plus mode is much better. Tweak the color settings of both sammy and pio to your likeness. Here's a link to guide you http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513376 . Decreasing the sharpness of the sammy also improves the pq.

thanks for the R81 confirmation - so it's only HD-ready.  And your answer to his question...
"will there be any improvements whatsoever in terms of PQ if I upgrade?" YES as well?  Just to help him decide...  ;)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #298 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:43 PM »
thanks for the R81 confirmation - so it's only HD-ready.  And your answer to his question...
"will there be any improvements whatsoever in terms of PQ if I upgrade?" YES as well?  Just to help him decide...  ;)

Hi Sirs Marl_1 and Nibblerizer! :)

Thanks so much for helping me on my query. Now that I know there will be improvements in PQ, I am going to consider upgrading to a Pioneer DV-600AV-S. I just wanted to make sure that there is going to be a significant improvement. I didn't want to invest on this player and realize that I will be getting the same PQ as my current player.

Again thanks for your opinions on the matter. ;)

Offline rastafreeman

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 07:03 PM »
happy new year pipol of pinoydvd..tanong ko lang kung ano yong active subwoofer na pioneer din ang brand para sa dv-600 thnx and more power