Author Topic: DVDs distributed by Viva  (Read 14165 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: DVDs distributed by Viva
« Reply #60 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Okay, reviving an old thread...  With so many complaints on Magnavision and C-Interactive 299 pricing for DVD, why nobody's complaining about the 750 price of Viva DVDs.  Most Viva DVDs are now priced at that level...even older titles (but recent imports) like Die Hard, Speed, and 95% of Disney Titles, etc.  Their quality is not that much better than those from Magnavision and CI., some maybe DVD9 but they are still single disc and IMHO, too pricey at 750 for older titles...   They should price it like Batman Begins (2-Disc-475), Million Dollar Baby (2 Disc - 375), Constantine, etc... 

Dude, seriously... it's apples and oranges. The 299 Magna/C-Interactive titles are local DVD-5s compressed from their original sources - you can actually see the pixelation and banding on your screen, much like pirated products. The 750 Disney/Fox Vivas are imports with picture quality comparable to their R1 counterparts. And I suppose few complain about the 750 price tag because they're usually on sale anyway for probably at least 3 out of 12 months in a year. For example, I was just at Astroplus Podium last weekend, and I can say that 95% of their Disney titles were once again priced at 299.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2006 at 08:42 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
Okay, reviving an old thread...  With so many complaints on Magnavision and C-Interactive 299 pricing for DVD, why nobody's complaining about the 750 price of Viva DVDs.  Most Viva DVDs are now priced at that level...even older titles (but recent imports) like Die Hard, Speed, and 95% of Disney Titles, etc.  Their quality is not that much better than those from Magnavision and CI., some maybe DVD9 but they are still single disc and IMHO, too pricey at 750 for older titles...   They should price it like Batman Begins (2-Disc-475), Million Dollar Baby (2 Disc - 375), Constantine, etc...   

Just wait for them to go on sale for 299, which they often do at different times in diffeent outlets. 

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 02:44 PM »
speaking of sale, Disney titles even went for as low as 250!!! During one of the Podium sales, i believe it was June or July last year. Super sulit talaga especially if you'll get the good titles like Nemo, Tarzan and Incredibles.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
I think they even had R1 Incredibles on sale.

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 03:39 PM »
during the sale last year, got r1 Aladdin (with slipcase) and Brother Bear.  There was also an r1 incredibles on sale during that time.

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2006 at 09:45 AM »
Napansin ko yung The Myth DVD ng Viva, yung nakikita sa Astrovision/AstroPlus, bitin yung DVD cover sa likod. :(

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2006 at 09:51 AM »
Mya I know what you mean by "bitin?'  Kulang sa information compared to another release, misprint or na-cut sa dulo? 

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
Ah sorry. Bitin as in na-cut sa dulo. Di ba may butas sa likod ng DVD cases dahil may mga naka-embose sa loob? Kita yung butas na yun dahil bitin o maikli yung cover.

Kumbaga, kung ang standard length ng DVD covers, 10cm (example lang), yung cover na yun, 9cm lang. Parang ganon.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:57 PM »
Viva is taking lessons from C Interactive and Magna?  Why are their recent releases, like Saw 1 & 2 (as stated in another thread), Fullscreen DVD5.  They are making budget titles as well?   

Worst of all, I bought An Unfinished Life (Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman), it's a budget title (375 on release), also DVD fullscreen (but that's not my gripe, since it is listed on the case).  But like Narnia, it's full of typos and errors, that sometimes (I Think) pirated copy has better case design.

On cover:
'A Film By Acamademy Arward Nominee..." (sic)
On the back, the film is listed as 60.04minutes, in truth, it is over 100 minutes (IMDB list it at 107 minutes).

Are the case re-designers from some non-English speaking country like Vietnam or China?

Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline 2ngaw

• Collector
  • Baguhang Kolektor
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2006 at 01:28 AM »
Or why don't they just copy the R1/R2 designs?! Before, I thought that companies give distributors a file/copy of their case designs, specs, etc.
I find your lack of clothes disturbing...

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
Does Viva ever restock old titles (especially Disney releases)?  From my recent experience with DVDs, it looks to me that once they release a title locally, and it sold out, they never get restocked, so we are left with more recent releases or titles (like some straight to video titles) that few wants...  Even big titles like Bambi (not Bambi II, which is a recent release), Snow White, Mulan, The Incredibles, and even Finding Nemo are all but hard-to-find locally. 

Many of those titles are not limited release and widely available in other countries.  I was wondering if Viva ever restock or is ordering R1 editions, the best option for these out-of-stock (locally) titles.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 02:02 PM by techdude »

Offline McDreamy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2006 at 01:55 PM »
I think they re-stock SOME titles occasionally. Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc used to be hard to find, but most stores now carry these titles. Pirates of the Caribbean was nowhere to be found for more than a year until it sprouted in one of the sales.

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
Predator 2 (2 disc SE) has been out also recently.  A few months ago, the single disc version was only available  :P
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:32 PM »
i think that viva should bring out again star wars episodes 1 and 2.  i am hardly seeing them on sale at any video store.  i remember before when star wars episode 1 was just 299 and was on the shelves for the longest time.  i did not bother to buy it that time and when i decided, nawala na sila parang bula.  :)

calling viva...over...over...labas niyo na ulit ang star wars episode 1 and 2...over and out!  ;D

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:40 PM »
Starwars Episode 2 !!! paging VIVA...  :-\

Lion King
AVP
Kingdom of Heaven
Day After Tomorrow
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 02:50 PM by Dowals »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:09 PM »
no chance for lion king to be released since it has been placed "in the vault" officially.

8)

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:16 PM »
no chance for lion king to be released since it has been placed "in the vault" officially.

8)

that's very depressing  :P

Offline McDreamy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
Starwars Episode 2 !!! paging VIVA...  :-\

Lion King
AVP
Kingdom of Heaven
Day After Tomorrow

Kingdom of Heaven and Incredibles has resurfaced. I saw a couple of copies in Tower Records and Odyssey in Alabang Town Center. P900 nga lang but just wait for the Viva sale. Here's hoping that Star Wars Episode I and II plus the titles mentioned above will come out too.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2006 at 02:56 PM »

8)

Sir, what do you mean by "in the vault"?

Thanks in advance!

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2006 at 09:10 PM »
it's a marketing term utilized by disney meaning OOP or moratorium with no certainty of re-release.

8)

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2006 at 06:46 PM »
it's a marketing term utilized by disney meaning OOP or moratorium with no certainty of re-release.

8)

Thanks!

That's good news since it was just recently that I have bought my Lion King through the kindness of my 'suki' in Astro Podium.  ;)

Offline dennislazo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 04:59 PM »
just got a copy of brokeback mountain.

my GOD!  parang gusto kong isuli.

pangit ng picture quality.  tapos full screen pa.  DVD9 sana...pero...haaay...

kakainis.  suwerte nalang at merong amazon.  iipon na lang ulit ako ng pera makabili dun...parang feeling ko, di ko na maaasahan ang pinoy pagdating sa pag-release ng DVD dito sa pinas.  sayang lang ang pera ko.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 05:33 PM »

Thanks!

That's good news since it was just recently that I have bought my Lion King through the kindness of my 'suki' in Astro Podium.  ;)

Were you able to get a copy of LION KING? is it R3?

Offline McDreamy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 05:52 PM »
just got a copy of brokeback mountain.

my GOD!  parang gusto kong isuli.

pangit ng picture quality.  tapos full screen pa.  DVD9 sana...pero...haaay...

kakainis.  suwerte nalang at merong amazon.  iipon na lang ulit ako ng pera makabili dun...parang feeling ko, di ko na maaasahan ang pinoy pagdating sa pag-release ng DVD dito sa pinas.  sayang lang ang pera ko.

Mahirap talaga asahan ang pinoy, pero ang pinoydvd, laging maasahan! That is why ever since the Narnia fiasco (mislabeled packaging), it is advisable to wait for reviews in this forum whether a release si worth it. Generally, pag Warner OK, pag Viva wait and see since some are OK (Pirates, Nemo, Monster's Inc), while others are crap (Narnia, The Myth, etc.). When in doubt, log-on to pinoydvd.com. Hehe.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 03:35 AM »
Now I am dreading Walk The Line (20th Century Fox)... another movie where VCD arrives earlier that their DVD counterpart (like Brokeback Mountain)...

For me, if the disc are fine, I can forgive the packaging, after all, we are often getting it cheaper (even at full-750 price) than R1.  I get the local Narnia despite lacking a feature or two and the horrendous misspellings).  But lately Viva releases are really bad - Many good movies like Unfinished Life, Saw, Saw II, and now Brokeback Mountain is bastardized...

If they really must cater to the VCD market, they should at least follow Magnavision, and release a premium version. 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #85 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
I see no reason at all to worry about VIVA's Fox releases. They've always all been top-notch, content and packaging wise.

Viva's Disney releases have recently become more hit-and-miss. Picture/audio quality is top-notch, but packaging is uniformly substandard, and features may or may not be intact - depending on what Disney's home office abroad decides.

Their other releases that are priced under 750 on initial release? Uniformly bad, full-screen DVDs.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2006 at 10:17 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 07:38 PM »
Were you able to get a copy of LION KING? is it R3?

Yes, it is R3.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #87 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
Picked up Kingdom of Heaven and LXG SE and it looks like Viva's giving their Fox titles the local packaging treatment as well. The clear cases are no longer genuine Amarays. Sad.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #88 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
I have experienced 2 DVDs already that pixellated and freezes right out of the box which are I think VIVA releases .  I thought it was my Philips DVD player which had the problem but tried it on my Pioneer, SAST and DVD-ROM and they still froze on the same scenes. One was Wimbledon and the later one I got was The Interpreter.  Although they were cheaper than usual DVDs at P299, I felt I was still shortchanged.  They were no better than p****** DVDs.

Anybody here had the same experience with those el cheapo R3's?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #89 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 01:38 PM »
Wimbledon is by C-Interactive. Their releases are problematic so stay away. Sila mismo nagpapakasya sa DVD5 kaya madalas malabo yung encoding and authoring.

The Interpreter at Php299 is Magna's budget line. These are locally processed as well.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community