Author Topic: DVDs distributed by Viva  (Read 14163 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: DVDs distributed by Viva
« Reply #90 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
Thanks firewired for the quick reply.  It would be really hard to tell if they are the low quality DVDs or good quality DVDs which are on sale.  Sometimes I don't look at the manufacturer as long as it is the title I like and the price is right, I buy it.  I think most of DVD buyers are like me.  Any tips to lessen the chances of me buying a low quality R3 DVD?

Offline rafgar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 04:55 PM »
Thanks firewired for the quick reply.  It would be really hard to tell if they are the low quality DVDs or good quality DVDs which are on sale.  Sometimes I don't look at the manufacturer as long as it is the title I like and the price is right, I buy it.  I think most of DVD buyers are like me.  Any tips to lessen the chances of me buying a low quality R3 DVD?

The logo of C-Interactive is usually printed at the back cover of the DVD.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 05:04 PM »
A lot of members here prefer to stay away from C-interactive releases. 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #93 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:16 PM »
Sometimes I don't look at the manufacturer as long as it is the title I like and the price is right, I buy it. Any tips to lessen the chances of me buying a low quality R3 DVD?

If you're not going to take a few seconds to look at the manufacturer, then the rule will be: Avoid everything priced at 299.

The 299 price tag is practically exclusive for C-Interactive/Magna-budget titles, like the two you bought above.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 12:46 AM »
Lately, Viva seems to be cornering a lot of older titles and rereleasing them as fullscreen DVDs for 250 or less.  Anyone bought them (ie Chocolat, In the Bedroom, Primary Colors, The Corruptors).  What is it like?  Glorified VCD din katulad ng Brokeback Mountain where even the Menus are locally (and amateurly) put together?  And any of the troubles (Skipping, disc not playing) like those with many C Interactive titles. 

Personally, I am skipping them even if I like the title (like Chocolat).  Don't want to let them think that these low-cost, low quality have a market.  THe video loving public deserves better...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #95 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 05:43 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips..... ;)

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jun 24, 2006 at 03:42 AM »
Most recent Platinum or Special versions of Disney animated classics which are 2-discs in R1, had been released as one-disc by Viva.  E.G. Cinderella, Lady and The Tramp, Alice in Wonderland. 

Is this limited to Local releases, or are all R3 versions of the same only one-discs?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jun 24, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
some of the R1 disney titles are released in australia and HK as a single-disc. a big amount of the features and PQ suffered.

8)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #98 on: Jun 24, 2006 at 12:35 PM »
Most recent Platinum or Special versions of Disney animated classics which are 2-discs in R1, had been released as one-disc by Viva.  E.G. Cinderella, Lady and The Tramp, Alice in Wonderland. 

Is this limited to Local releases, or are all R3 versions of the same only one-discs?

It's usually the same throughout the region, and VIVA has no control over it.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
Lately, Viva seems to be cornering a lot of older titles and rereleasing them as fullscreen DVDs for 250 or less.  Anyone bought them (ie Chocolat, In the Bedroom, Primary Colors, The Corruptors).  What is it like?  Glorified VCD din katulad ng Brokeback Mountain where even the Menus are locally (and amateurly) put together?  And any of the troubles (Skipping, disc not playing) like those with many C Interactive titles. 

Personally, I am skipping them even if I like the title (like Chocolat).  Don't want to let them think that these low-cost, low quality have a market.  THe video loving public deserves better...

speaking of In the Bedroom and Cider House Rules. thinking of buying that title as well, till someone posts a review on those titles, will probably wait some more.am not in a hurry.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 12:36 PM »
speaking of In the Bedroom and Cider House Rules. thinking of buying that title as well, till someone posts a review on those titles, will probably wait some more.am not in a hurry.

Problem is, everyone seems to be avoiding those as well... :)

I always wanted Chocolat but....after Brokeback Mountain, I don't dare touch another 250 Viva release until somebody tells me the quality has improved...
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2006 at 12:38 PM by techdude »