Author Topic: 3D TV is coming....  (Read 11866 times)

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 3D TV is coming....
« Reply #30 on: Jun 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM »
I saw the demo of 40" Sony 3D tv in Park Square in Makati yesterday sa Sony Store. It was really nice, when I first put on the 3D glass, I notice na parang may flicker yung tv, I ask the salesman, why is there a flicker, sabi nung salesman, kasi daw maliwanag ang environment mas maganda daw if the surroundings are dark. I don't know if this is true or not, pero nawala din naman ang flicker.

All I can say is that the TV is really good, the movie demo was Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton, then pinalitan niya ng Football 2010. It was really good!!!! at napakalinaw. The salesman said that they are going to introduce the TV this coming July daw. Wala pa daw sila price, kaya di niya alam ang pricing.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 20, 2010 at 02:38 PM »
I saw the demo of 40" Sony 3D tv in Park Square in Makati yesterday sa Sony Store. It was really nice, when I first put on the 3D glass, I notice na parang may flicker yung tv, I ask the salesman, why is there a flicker, sabi nung salesman, kasi daw maliwanag ang environment mas maganda daw if the surroundings are dark. I don't know if this is true or not, pero nawala din naman ang flicker.

The flicker is due to the synching of the glass with the transmitter, or, mahina battery ng glass.   ;) 

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #32 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 12:49 AM »
magkakaroon din kaya ng 3d entry level lcd tvs?

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 03:47 PM »
Oh, so thats why there's a Flicker!!!! Thanks Sir Clondalkin!!! ;)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #34 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 04:20 PM »
magkakaroon din kaya ng 3d entry level lcd tvs?

Good question for us budget concious folks. kaso, i'd recommend waiting for at least another year para di naman tayo bumili ng bare features lang dahil gusto natin magtipid. more or less, prices will go down as long as competiton arises kaya patience ang tinuturo ko sa sarili ko.  :) after 2 years, i bet 50 inch 3d displays will play along the 70k to 80k price tag.

saw the Killzone 3 (3d) demo, and it is an immersive game! it will be released next year pa kaya the better to hold off muna in buying 3d displays at this time because developer's (imo) are still getting this 3d thing right or perfect for the market.

Offline jmigs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 08:12 PM »
reminds me of Nintendo Virtual Boy...EPIC FAIL!

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #36 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 08:50 AM »
ill make a bold prediction now... my crystal ball says.. 3dtv wont be embraced unlike the transition from sdtv to hdtv.. the 3d feature add on alone is not worth the price of the upgrade. right now, manufacturers are just milking early adaptors and hyping it up.. but eventually, 3d will either flop, or if they dont want it to flop, it will be integrated in all hdtv models (built in feature). the price bump alone will turn off most consumer, and most are satisfied with their non 3d hdtv anyways.  i think 3dtv technology feature is not that big to drool upon on.

bold prediction:

a. most manufacturers will make 3d a built in add-on feature (with minimal price difference)
b. third party 3d hardware boxes will be available (if somebody manufactures this, they will be king), for normal hdtv to be 3d compliant.

and if 3dtv wont pickup.. manufacturers will redraw their options and come out with:

a 3dtv that doesnt need 3d glasses.... now this might warrant the transition from hdtv to 3dtv.

its is possible.. nintendo just did it with their 3ds handheld system..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 09:45 AM »
ill make a bold prediction now... my crystal ball says.. 3dtv wont be embraced unlike the transition from sdtv to hdtv..

I saw the first commercial Sony Plasma HDTV sometime in 1992 worth millions of Japanese Yen.  HDTV didnt become mainstream until the latter half of the last decade mainly due to lack of content (1992 was still VHS era, 1997 was DVD) and steep pricing.  That was more than a dozen years.   Sometime in early 2000, Japanese were saying they would buy an HDTV if the price per inch went down to 10,000 yen (or 500,000 Yen -$5,000 for a 50V).  

On the contrary, 3D HDTV started at a reachable price level (roughly 20% premium over the top of the line non-3D HDTVs, and special mention to Sony for offering a 40V version) and at about the same time as the release of blockbuster 3D movies, not to mention the 3D broadcast of big events, and also the start of 3D broadcast of network giants (NHK in particular).   I dont think it would take as long a period as that of HDTV for 3D HDTV to become mainstream provided the contents become available in the household - and it is proven in the long run that extended 3D watching at home is not a serious health hazard.

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010 at 09:51 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 02:01 PM »
Anyone seen the demostration of Panasonic 3DTV? Any stores? Also will a 3D bluray ripped to 720P mkv work like one on a 3DTV?

3D TV: The future here and now

THE Philippine market has not even fully migrated to LCD televisions - as a great number of Filipinos still use cathode ray tube televisions or CRT TVs - and already, here comes the next generation of televisions, courtesy of Panasonic.

Panasonic recently launched in its latest TV lineup, with the Viera full high definition 3D TVs and a complete 3D theater system taking center stage.

The Panasonic full HD 3D TV promises to deliver the exact power and realism seen in 3D cinemas to viewers’ homes.

“It uses the frame sequential technology that enables full HD quality image information to reach both left and right eyes,” company officials say.

Panasonic claims this technology is better than the two other typical 3D technologies--the line-by-line and checkered sampling methods.

With frame sequential technology, separate 3D images for the left and right eyes are alternately played back at a high speed of 60 frames per second for a total of 120 frames.

But to fully enjoy the Panasonic 3D experience, special eyewear also from Panasonic should be worn.

The Panasonic full HD Plasma 3D television comes in display sizes of 50 inches and 65 inches.

It boasts of quality image with its infinite black pro feature and a dynamic contrast of 5,000,000:1 ; 600Hz sub-field drive; moving picture resolution 1080 lines; THX certified display; a 24p smooth film and resolution enhance.

Not only is high image quality ensured, the complete new TV lineup also promises high performance in terms of connectivity, eco features and design.

For one, the new lineup furthers the shift of the TV technology from “units that people watch to TVs that people use.”

It has Viera cast with Skype, DLNA, Viera image viewer for photos and videos, the Viera link, USB terminals for wireless LAN adaptor and USB keyboard, Viera tools, game mode and PC input.

It is more environment-friendly and energy efficient with its mercury- and lead-free panel, long panel life of up to 100,000 hours and its eco mode.

Panasonic promises at least 35-percent savings in energy consumption with the new models.

The new line up is composed of 17 new TV models under the V, U, A and X for the Plasma TVs and the D, U, A, X and C series for the LCD.

Panasonic officials said they have yet to come up with the suggested retail price for the 3D television for the local market but in the United States, the 50-inch TC-P50VT20 plasma set was retailed for $2499 or $2890 for units in a package with a Blu-ray player and a pair of 3D glasses.

A Panasonic 3D TV comes with one free special eyewear. An extra one will cost P6,000 each.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010 at 02:15 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline AC

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 03:43 PM »
tcl daw po 3d tv and hindi na kelangan ng glasses.. hehe 20t$

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 05:53 PM »
If you guys have read the review of "Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs 3D", you can see that 3D does have promise. and I for one am very excited to experience it at home w/ my family.

Although, I would also agree with the reviewer's statement regarding screen size.

"Otherwise, the only other drawback to the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs home Blu-ray 3D experience came in the form of screen size; even at an honest 50" and with the picture's scope aspect ratio, the action seemed a bit small and cramped; the bigger the screen, it would seem, the better the full HD 3D experience."

In that sense, setting up a 3D PJ would be more bang for the buck rather than a standard 50" flat.

Offline AlvinladeN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 06:12 PM »
3dtv wont be embraced unlike the transition from sdtv to hdtv

+1

a) glasses are required

b) you wont notice the 3D effect in the midst of the movie

c) very steep price.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #42 on: Jun 23, 2010 at 08:58 PM »
I echo this guy's comments;

The Movie Studios' Big 3D Scam

I couldn't wait to take off the glasses.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 23, 2010 at 09:38 PM »
^
The key to getting consumers adopting Hi Def technology is "Realism". Realism in the form of Hi Res/HD video and lossless audio. What's next? Adopting 3D makes the most sense rather than raising the full HD bar a notch higher and calling it something like - "Ultimate HD".

Of course everyone wants 3D realism achieved in Cameron's "Avatar" - that's why it's the highest grossing film of all time. It's something different, and ticket sales show that there's a market for it.

I would agree that it's best they take out the glasses in the equation.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010 at 09:39 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #44 on: Jun 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM »
Prices of 3D HDTVs are getting cheaper accdg. to:

http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/article/102200

hope they fall further once 3D movies, 3D console games flood the market.

For now, I will have to pass my judgement whether 3D TVs will fail or succeed cos basically there is no content yet. It is too early, I don;t think seeing just a couple of 3D demos will warrant anything.

But for a start I think stereo 3D in general is doing well. It started too fast in a matter of 5 mos. after the movie Avatar was launched 3D HDTVs, 3D broadcasting, 3D cameras, 3D-ready laptops and A/V receivers, 3D projectors, 3D blu-ray players are already in the market, PS3 3D games and Blu-ray 3D movies are here, not to mention that PC games are all 3D ready. Xbox360, Nintendo 3DS & 3D celfones will follow soon. Those industries are serious about 3D but w/o fixing some problems fast . . . it will be hard to convince the masses.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM by dts-HD 3D »

Offline janixxxx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 26, 2010 at 07:18 PM »
Guys, just a question.

I have a 62 inch DLP TV at home with a PS3 console that is used for Blru ray movies as well. I bought a Monsters vs Aliens movie with 3D short movie and I was able to experience a 3D movie.

Now the question is, if I can do that now at home, why would I buy a 3D TV? Should the experience be better? Or would I be able to play non-3D movies to be 3D movies because of the TV?

Thanks Guys. Pardon this kind of question.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 26, 2010 at 07:21 PM »
Guys, just a question.

I have a 62 inch DLP TV at home with a PS3 console that is used for Blru ray movies as well. I bought a Monsters vs Aliens movie with 3D short movie and I was able to experience a 3D movie.

Now the question is, if I can do that now at home, why would I buy a 3D TV? Should the experience be better? Or would I be able to play non-3D movies to be 3D movies because of the TV?

sir, you monsters vs aliens3d experience was with a red/blue glass?

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #47 on: Aug 27, 2010 at 05:22 AM »
There are lots of 3D trailers 1080p (alice in woderland, cloudy, shrek, toy story, etc) & 3D demos 720p & 1080p (sony, panasonic, samsung)  mkv, ts, avi etc out there in the net. Free for download.
As long as the file is stereoscopic sidebyside or top & bottom, The 3D effect will work.
It works on my 3D samsung.  :)

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 02:46 AM »

Guys, just a question.

That short film yata is Bobs big break, its an anaglyph 3D sir if its from the MvsA blu-ray w/c comes w/ free paper glasses. The new format of 3D is sometimes called stereoscopic 3D, S-3D, 3D blu-ray or active shutter 3D hence, the use of powered/battery-operated shutter glasses.

You will notice the difference w/ regards to depth & color quality these new 3d tvs offer once you get to see one. Pale and messed up ang colors ng anaglyph 3D. Plus, the fact that the colored glasses add a tinge to the overall color of the movie ruins the whole experience. I saw a demo of Panasonic & Samsung 3D TVs last month in Anson's Makati tho' I'm not sure if its still there.

Link to Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu-ray review, its like comparing vhs to blu-ray daw:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3617/monstersaliens3d.html

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 03:40 AM »
There are lots of 3D trailers 1080p (alice in woderland, cloudy, shrek, toy story, etc) & 3D demos 720p & 1080p (sony, panasonic, samsung)  mkv, ts, avi etc out there in the net. Free for download.
As long as the file is stereoscopic sidebyside or top & bottom, The 3D effect will work.
It works on my 3D samsung.  :)

http://3dvisionvideos.blogspot.com/

http://3dvision-blog.com/category/3d-movies/

http://www.biohemmet.se/

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM »
thinking heavily if i should get a 3dtv sammy 55 series 9....

factors to get:

1. ps3 is 3d enabled = 3d movies and most of all 3d GAMES!
2. falling price of 3dtv
3. hype  ;D

then it dawned on me..

my setup is the ff.
ps3> avr> tv

so:
1. i need to get a 3d ready avr
2. i need to get some hdmi 1.4 switches/hub
3. i also need to upgrade my pj to 3d soon (for movies)
4. i need to get hdmi 1.4 cables for all (tama ba>)
5. i need to get more 3d glasses.

so bottom line.. i have to get a 3d compliant AVR... mukhang yan ang magiging deal breaker for me. :(

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 08:05 PM »
Got to experience 3d in the sony showroom in festival mall. Maganda sya, but parang kakduling at first but 20 mins into watching, gumaganda na sya. probably nag aadjust yung utak ko based sa optical inputs sa brain ko ;D. I wonder how "ehem ehem" movies would look like in 3d ;D ;D
ALA EH!!

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 08:10 PM »
Got to experience 3d in the sony showroom in festival mall. Maganda sya, but parang kakduling at first but 20 mins into watching, gumaganda na sya. probably nag aadjust yung utak ko based sa optical inputs sa brain ko ;D. I wonder how "ehem ehem" movies would look like in 3d ;D ;D
Baka matutusokan ka ng bird coming out of the screen!

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 23, 2010 at 12:43 AM »
thinking heavily if i should get a 3dtv sammy 55 series 9....

factors to get:

1. ps3 is 3d enabled = 3d movies and most of all 3d GAMES!
2. falling price of 3dtv
3. hype 

then it dawned on me..

my setup is the ff.
ps3> avr> tv

so:
1. i need to get a 3d ready avr
2. i need to get some hdmi 1.4 switches/hub
3. i also need to upgrade my pj to 3d soon (for movies)
4. i need to get hdmi 1.4 cables for all (tama ba>)
5. i need to get more 3d glasses.

so bottom line.. i have to get a 3d compliant AVR... mukhang yan ang magiging deal breaker for me.

3d compliant a/vr is not a must if you want to use the 3d feature of the PS3.

For video, we can still use hdmi 1.3 to connect directly to 3d TV. And for audio, we can go back using the optical out of our non-hdmi 1.4 a/vr to get DD or DTS. Dolby True HD and DTS-HD are disabled in firmware 3.50 when using Blu-ray 3D movies. That is, if you want to save up some more fr. buying a new a/vr.

So, it turns out we don't really need an hdmi 1.4 connection to playback a Full HD 3D. And with Ps3 and fw 3.5 around, we only need a 3D hdtv w/ a pair of shutter glasses to play Gran Turismo 5 3D this Nov.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM by dts-HD 3D »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM »
3d compliant a/vr is not a must if you want to use the 3d feature of the PS3.

For video, we can still use hdmi 1.3 to connect directly to 3d TV. And for audio, we can go back using the optical out of our non-hdmi 1.4 a/vr to get DD or DTS. Dolby True HD and DTS-HD are disabled in firmware 3.50 when using Blu-ray 3D movies. That is, if you want to save up some more fr. buying a new a/vr.

So, it turns out we don't really need an hdmi 1.4 connection to playback a Full HD 3D. And with Ps3 and fw 3.5 around, we only need a 3D hdtv w/ a pair of shutter glasses to play Gran Turismo 5 3D this Nov.

thanks boss luth..

ahhh... so for example i wanted to play ps3d games, current setup will work parin?

ps3> avr > 3dtv? using current 1.3hdmi tama?

but to have the whole shebang this is highly recommended diba?

ps3> 3davr >3dtv with 1.4 cables?

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM »
  ;D Ikaw nga boss ko dyan eh, idol pa.

Correct ps3> 3davr >3dtv with 1.4 cables ang mas recommended.

Pero Ps3> 3d tv (hdmi 1.3 for video) with Ps3> non-3d a/vr (optical for audio) should also work. Hindi kaya ng hdmi 1.3 ang bandwidth ng 1080p 3d games so, they will be downscaled to 720p to keep up w/ the 60fps per eye.

On the side, Samsung has released an affordable sub-$1000 3d plasma tv suited for the gamers out there and its a 50 incher w/ 2 free 3d glasses.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/samsung-adds-two-free-pairs-of-glasses-to-sub-1-000-3dtv-packag/

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM by dts-HD 3D »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM »
  ;D Ikaw nga boss ko dyan eh, idol pa.

Correct ps3> 3davr >3dtv with 1.4 cables ang mas recommended.

Pero Ps3> 3d tv (hdmi 1.3 for video) with Ps3> non-3d a/vr (optical for audio) should also work. Hindi kaya ng hdmi 1.3 ang bandwidth ng 1080p 3d games so, they will be downscaled to 720p to keep up w/ the 60fps per eye.

On the side, Samsung has released an affordable sub-$1000 3d plasma tv suited for the gamers out there and its a 50 incher w/ 2 free 3d glasses.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/samsung-adds-two-free-pairs-of-glasses-to-sub-1-000-3dtv-packag/

ayun ang problema ko.. nasa likuran kasi ang avr ko and ps3 e.. ayaw ng clutter sa unahan, so talagang dadaan at dadaan sa avr ang hdmi..

oh well... delay nalang uli once 3d avr becomes affordable and hdmi 1.4 ay dumami at kelangan ko rin pala ng hdmi 1.4 hubs...

Offline AC

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 08, 2010 at 10:00 AM »
just got our manila bulletin today.. guess what.. its in 3D... hehe

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 08, 2010 at 03:31 PM »
Pati sa isang local magazine nagkaroon din. ;D

Offline Unwired

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 06:35 AM »
mga sir meron po kayo idea kung magkano dito satin itong LG ‎55LX9500 3d LED HDTV? thanks!