Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270440 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #1260 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 08:14 PM »
Mga sirs di pa ba ma phase-out yun plasma? Will LED reign in the coming years?

Dalawa na lang ata manufacturer ng plasma pioneer at panasonic, (LG).  Why Sony,Samsung,Toshiba and others abandon plasma?

Mas mabenta talaga ang LCD, malayong-malayo sa benta ng plasma.  And that's true worldwide.

That's why tatlo na lang ang gumagawa ng plasma.

No need to worry about it.  Just buy an LED TV and enjoy it.  Maganda rin ang picture ng LED, wala ka pang iisipin na phase-out.

Offline puroiskii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1261 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 04:16 PM »
5. I've heard that plasma TVs can "burn-in" over time. What is "burn-in" exactly, and is it really a concern?
"Burn-in," or image retention, is an uneven aging of the phosphors in a display device, can occur on any display that uses phosphors to generate an image, including tube TVs, projection TVs that use CRTs, and plasma TVs. Such uneven aging happens when bright, static images are left onscreen for an extended period of time, which can leave a visible "shadow" effect.

Improvements in panel service life to over 60,000 hours have minimized the risk of image retention. In addition, screen savers, pixel shifting, and brightness level adjustments can dramatically reduce any chance of image retention. Use common sense when it comes to your plasma TV; don't pause video games or watch TV stations with station logos onscreen for long periods of time, and use one of the many display calibration DVDs available today for properly setting brightness and contrast.

The rule of thumb: if you don't worry about your traditional tube TV, you don't have to worry about a Panasonic plasma TV.

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1262 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 08:49 AM »
Dont get confuse with LCD and LED tv it still the same LEDtv are also an LCDtv which uses LED bulbs in waking-up the crystals instead of flourecent bulbs in the previous versions of LCD, LEDlit LCDs have more improve contrast giving much richer black than before. Nagkaproblema lang sa pag ma-market, ni label nilang LED kaya naging generic name tuloy na LEDtv but its still an LCD, it suppose to be "LEDlit LCDs". Ang true LED display ay ung ginagamit na movie billboard sa Mercurydrug Quiapo at ung sa may CCP.

My honest opinion.
Static images, videogame images, computer images (resist burn in for static images, you can play for long hours even with static images in videogaming, colors are there but not as accurate as plasma, but LEDlit LCD is an improvement compared to the elder LCDs., less power consumption good for non stop videogaming hehe without worrying your electric bill, thin and lighter compare to Plasma, and old model LCDs. with improve viewing angle compared to previous LCDs) 
-LEDlit LCDs.

purely movie-any source dvd, blueray, NMT (true to life colors, accurate picture geometry wider viewing angles)
-Plasma
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 09:33 AM by bukoy »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1263 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 10:33 AM »
Dont get confuse with LCD and LED tv it still the same LEDtv are also an LCDtv which uses LED bulbs in waking-up the crystals instead of flourecent bulbs in the previous versions of LCD, LEDlit LCDs have more improve contrast giving much richer black than before. Nagkaproblema lang sa pag ma-market, ni label nilang LED kaya naging generic name tuloy na LEDtv but its still an LCD, it suppose to be "LEDlit LCDs". Ang true LED display ay ung ginagamit na movie billboard sa Mercurydrug Quiapo at ung sa may CCP.

My honest opinion.
Static images, videogame images, computer images (resist burn in for static images, you can play for long hours even with static images in videogaming, colors are there but not as accurate as plasma, but LEDlit LCD is an improvement compared to the elder LCDs., less power consumption good for non stop videogaming hehe without worrying your electric bill, thin and lighter compare to Plasma, and old model LCDs. with improve viewing angle compared to previous LCDs) 
-LEDlit LCDs.

purely movie-any source dvd, blueray, NMT (true to life colors, accurate picture geometry wider viewing angles)
-Plasma

Actually, not true to life, its exageration of reality  ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline chris_santo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1264 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 11:47 AM »
Actually even if you are a gaming addict, I think plasma would be ok. The only time I would probably not recommend a plasma over LCD is when you play a game like bookworm for 8 hours where the worm stays on the top corner all the time with the TV on max contrast setting, and you play the same game everyday. Plus you have a big window / light bulb in front of the TV. hehe.

All other reasons, plasma for me bigtime.

Offline aceaceace

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1265 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 11:48 AM »
not sure if applicable for all, but led tvs have higher power consumption ratings than lcd tvs. at least, based on lg. plasma of course is much higher than led and lcd. :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 12:06 PM »
not sure if applicable for all, but led tvs have higher power consumption ratings than lcd tvs. at least, based on lg. plasma of course is much higher than led and lcd. :)

Depende sa grade ng model.  The higher you get, the smaller the difference.

In fact, I was sitting between a Panasonic 65VT2 and a Sony 60LX900 last Sunday.   Both 3D, both the highest of the highest of best...hehehe.   One of the things that caught my attention was this:

65VT2:  240kWh/year
60LX900:  230kWh/year

Take note of the bigger Plasma size.  So I checked the 58VT2 as well - 235kWh/year.  Practically no difference di ba.   So when comparing power consumptions between LCDs and Plasmas, make sure you're comparing models of the same grades.  Wink wink.

Offline chris_santo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1267 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 01:10 PM »
Depende sa grade ng model.  The higher you get, the smaller the difference.

In fact, I was sitting between a Panasonic 65VT2 and a Sony 60LX900 last Sunday.   Both 3D, both the highest of the highest of best...hehehe.   One of the things that caught my attention was this:

65VT2:  240kWh/year
60LX900:  230kWh/year

Take note of the bigger Plasma size.  So I checked the 58VT2 as well - 235kWh/year.  Practically no difference di ba.   So when comparing power consumptions between LCDs and Plasmas, make sure you're comparing models of the same grades.  Wink wink.

To sum it up, the difference in picture quality more than makes up for the power bill increase, possible IR, heavier weight, etc.

This is just based on what I've owned so far.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #1268 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 01:57 PM »
Ahhh, the never ending debate on which is better,...

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1269 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 02:02 PM »
LCD looks better in 3D, if anyone cares about 3D.  Same-same kami ng verdict ng Wife last Sunday.  Sony Bravia and Sharp Quattron over the Panasonic VT2 when it comes to 3D.

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1270 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 03:04 PM »
Theres a new technology in display, have you heard the UHDTV? or the Ultra Hi-definition Television eto na ung susunod na resolution ng display x2 ng existing full hd tv pero matagal pa naman, ang culprit mga hapon, dine-develop na ngayon pero sa broadcasting palang.  tsk tsk neverending....

So soon our beloved LCDs and Plasmas will be a mere CRT tv in the market. Pag lumabas na ito.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 03:07 PM by bukoy »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1271 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 03:48 PM »
UHDTV is not only 2x the resolution of HDTV.  It's actually 16x, with a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320 pixels.

UHDTV is old and new at the same time.  It's old because the first demo was shown as early as 2003.  It's new because until now, it's still in the experimental stage.

Malabo pa ang UHDTV.  Hindi pa dapat binibigyan ng pansin.

Offline aceaceace

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1272 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 10:27 PM »
Depende sa grade ng model.  The higher you get, the smaller the difference.

In fact, I was sitting between a Panasonic 65VT2 and a Sony 60LX900 last Sunday.   Both 3D, both the highest of the highest of best...hehehe.   One of the things that caught my attention was this:

65VT2:  240kWh/year
60LX900:  230kWh/year

Take note of the bigger Plasma size.  So I checked the 58VT2 as well - 235kWh/year.  Practically no difference di ba.   So when comparing power consumptions between LCDs and Plasmas, make sure you're comparing models of the same grades.  Wink wink.

here's what i found:
65VT2 (TC-P65VT25):  236W (operational), 443W (calibrated) :o
60LX900:  228W
** 65VT20a: 312 W

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-tc-p65vt25/4507-6482_7-33941231.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-xbr-60lx900/4507-6482_7-33943220.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

kWh/year has (usage) time factor. consumption in plain wattage is easier to understand for me :)

and here are more examples as i mentioned with LGs:
plasma -- 42PG20: 175W; 42PB4D: 380W
led-backlit -- 42LE4500: 150W; 42SL90: 250W
lcd ccfl-backlit -- 42lh20: 131 Watt; 42ld450c: 115W
http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/?filter=1000036_5316577_500963_20611456_&tag=mncol;dir2

Ahhh, the never ending debate on which is better,...
there are actually a lot articles online about this. none is actually "better" overall, each performs best depending on use/conditions. :)

UHDTV is not only 2x the resolution of HDTV.  It's actually 16x, with a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320 pixels.

UHDTV is old and new at the same time.  It's old because the first demo was shown as early as 2003.  It's new because until now, it's still in the experimental stage.

Malabo pa ang UHDTV.  Hindi pa dapat binibigyan ng pansin.

i agree.. HD content/resolution has yet to completely take over tv/cable/internet/etc. it might take a long while before they even think about surpassing that, i'd guess at least 10 years or so. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 10:37 PM by aceaceace »

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 01:30 PM »
 :)Yup mukahang matagal pa ito, DVD is still at market, and CRT still sells, local TV broadcasting here is not HD only some in cable  Blue rays at the moment doesnt dominate dvds.

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1274 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 02:59 PM »
:)Yup mukahang matagal pa ito, DVD is still at market, and CRT still sells, local TV broadcasting here is not HD only some in cable  Blue rays at the moment doesnt dominate dvds.

+1M dito.  ;)

Many are still using CRT and DVD as their media. Kaya definitely Plasma will still rule on this aspects.

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1275 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 03:17 PM »
LCD looks better in 3D, if anyone cares about 3D.  Same-same kami ng verdict ng Wife last Sunday.  Sony Bravia and Sharp Quattron over the Panasonic VT2 when it comes to 3D.

san mo nakita yong sharp quatrron 3d? ang alam ko 64" up yong 3d below 62 2d na lang.

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1276 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 04:17 AM »
Sabi ng pinsan ko "bakit daw plasma binili ko, luma na daw yun". Pero nung nakita nyang nakasalang ang isang 720p na movie (the house of flying daggers) nagulat sya sa ganda ng kulay hehe..

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1277 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 07:40 AM »
Sabi ng pinsan ko "bakit daw plasma binili ko, luma na daw yun". Pero nung nakita nyang nakasalang ang isang 720p na movie (the house of flying daggers) nagulat sya sa ganda ng kulay hehe..

Kung tutuusin mas mahal na technology ang plasma, since malakas ang lcd sa market bumaba ang presyo ng plasma kaya nagmukhang 2nd to LCDtvs, pero durabilty, PQ - plasma ang winner dito!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2011 at 07:43 AM by bukoy »

Offline aceaceace

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1278 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 07:49 AM »
Kung tutuusin mas mahal na technology ang plasma, since malakas ang lcd sa market bumaba ang presyo ng plasma kaya nagmukhang 2nd to LCDtvs, pero durabilty, PQ - plasma ang winner dito!

the best ang plasma sa blacks.

durability, well... nowadays, pareho naman typically rated at 100,000 hours ang lcd, led at plasma. bad trip lang sa plasma, pag may napundi na pixel, patay na talaga. replacing it though is not as easy as the CCFL of LCDTVs or maybe individual LEDs. nonetheless, wala pa naman ako kilala nasisiraan ng plasma hehe :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1279 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 03:43 PM »
san mo nakita yong sharp quatrron 3d? ang alam ko 64" up yong 3d below 62 2d na lang.

Tokyo, Japan. 

Ang trend nga right now is to reduce the size of 3D HDTVs para mas madali ibenta.  40V Sonys are selling extremely well.  Sumunod na ang Panasonic sa pag-offer ng smaller 3DTV (plasma).  Impossibleng hindi sumunod sa trend ang Sharp.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1280 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM »

Study: Plasma TV panel shipments hit record high
February 3, 2011 12:43 PM PST

Plasma televisions aren't dead yet.

During the fourth quarter of 2010, worldwide plasma panel shipments were up 9 percent year-over-year, hitting a record high of 5.2 million units, DisplaySearch unveiled today in a study of the global TV market. During the period, plasma makers, including Panasonic, Samsung SDI, and LG Electronics, operated at full capacity and weren't able to keep up with demand, the research firm reported. All told, 19.1 million plasma panels shipped in 2010.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20030532-17.html

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1281 on: Jul 10, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
In 2011, plasma picture quality is still better than LED.

From cnet:

Best 5 HDTVs: Picture quality
(Updated July 7, 2011 6:11 AM PDT)
David Katzmaier
Senior editor

Our "best products" lists ... take into account design and features, as well as picture quality. However, for people seeking the best picture quality only, the models below will fit the bill. Each TV scored at least an 8 in the Performance subrating, and in the case of a scoring tie, we've ranked them in order of which TV we believe delivers a better overall picture. ...

Panasonic TC-PVT30 series
The successor to our favorite TV of 2010 is also the best performer of 2011. Its black levels are the deepest on this list, and Panasonic says they won't worsen as the panel ages.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2011 at 03:54 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1282 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM »

Sharp Elite wins Value Electronics' HDTV shootout
by David Katzmaier
October 11, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

"In the seven years since we've held the shootout, this is the first that an LCD won," he said. The main reason it won was superb black level and contrast, and Zohn added that the Elite did "exceptionally well" at uniformity (including blooming) and off-angle viewing--traditional weak points for local dimming LED-based LEDs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-20118503-221/sharp-elite-wins-value-electronics-hdtv-shootout/#ixzz1b6F3CWRW

Price:

Elite 60X5FD (60") - $5,999.99
Elite 70X5FD (70") - $8,499.99

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM by barrister »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #1283 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM »
I'd still pick a 65" Plasma Viera over those,...

Ain't getting any other panel, PLASMA pa rin,...

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2193
« Reply #1284 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
Sabi ng kaibigan ko mas mura na daw ang plasma ngayon over LCD/LED? Meron daw sa mga appliance stores. Is this true?

Again: Plasma pa rin.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1285 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 01:41 PM »
Pioneer licensed the Elite brand to Sharp earlier this year, gaining at least the title of one the most highly respected line of HDTVs ever to be produced.

not much energy savings when comparing sharp's 70" and pana's 65"

Power Consumption 70 and 60 inches
282 W
204 W

panasonic 65vt30
On Mode Average Power Consumption   311W

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1286 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 01:57 PM »
best PQ, Plasma pa rin.  ;D ;D
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1287 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 03:00 PM »
The Quattron X5 series released by Sharp just last month is really something special and absolutely impressive - and I thought their previous top of the line Quattron was truly beautiful in terms of image quality already - at a certain distance looking very much like a non-glare plasma image. Ang mahal nga lang!

And yeah, basta top of the line, malamang na mas mataas pa kWh per year ng full array LED models than Panasonic's VT series.

Offline aperfectcircle

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1288 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 04:01 PM »
after reading this very interesting thread, gusto ko lang magtanung.

I was eyeing on Pana 42x30 plasma for P25k, and I'll be using the TV for movies, gaming (PS3) and cable tv
Exclude the power consumption; would it be a good choice?

Durability, heat dissipation and IR, what can you say about it?

Assuming I have it in my room and with no aircon

Your thoughts?

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2654
« Reply #1289 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 04:04 PM »

Assuming I have it in my room and with no aircon

was about to ask this as well, sa gabi lang naman kasi bukas din ang aircon samin pag hapon sarado  :)
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)