Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271522 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #180 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 10:38 AM »
So far I know SONY is giving out their promo booklet regularly (teh current one is the Summer promo) which listed all the available LCDs, etc & has all the main features hi-lighted.

How about the other brands/models? Do they provide brochures so that we can compare the specs?

Offline taggart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
I thought intelligent (room) illumination sensor (automatic dimmer) is a standard feature of LCD HDTVs.   Some LCDs don't have that feature yet???  Well, you can manually decrease the brightness and contrast settings depending on room illumination.   

HT ambience is rather subjective but certainly not as bright as 1000 lux stores.   When I completed my first HT set-up in the late nineties, I could stand watching in total darkness, but since 4 years back, I started to use bias lighting and keep some lampshades on at the sides not only to reduce eyestrain and headache but also to protect my family's health in general. 

maybe they do have the sensors but at the lowest setting, they are still bright?  just guessing.

regarding the ambience, yes i was thinking total darkness.  ;D  i was comparing it to a real movie theatre although i agree bias lighting seems to be better for the eyes.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
still with the bias light and ht ambiance:

if you're going with FP PJ, there's no question that no light at all is good. this is so as not to wash out the blacks more than anything else.

if you're using crt/lcd's/plasma, a little ambient light is always good if you care for your eyesight. the problem here first and foremost, is eyestrain. the contrast ratio between black and the purest white requires that your iris tries to keep up opening wide for dark scenes and closing down to its minimum for very bright ones. that could be tiring especially with todays mtv quick cut styles of editing. compared to a theater or FP PJ, since it's a reflective medium, the dynamic contrast isn't really that much and so is much gentler on your eyes.

i really don't care much about those light sensors where the tv tries to keep track of the contrast ratio depending on the amount of ambient light. i just calibrate my tv at my preferred ambient viewing light w/c is a distant light and a low wattage (6W) table lamp nearby. i keep the room light to a minimum (but not totally dark, i can't stand it as much as an overly bright room) so i don't wash out the highlights with pumped up contrast levels or the dark scenes with a high brightness setting. most sensor based tv have their contrast setting very flat at no or little ambient light, or too sharp/over contrasty at the presence of a stronger room light.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007 at 11:12 AM by gearhead »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
So far I know SONY is giving out their promo booklet regularly (teh current one is the Summer promo) which listed all the available LCDs, etc & has all the main features hi-lighted.

How about the other brands/models? Do they provide brochures so that we can compare the specs?

What information do you need?  I can possibly post the complete specs of Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Victor, Hitachi, etc. based on their Jan-Mar 2007 catalog in Japan (I would have to translate the entries).   Many of the models may not be available in the Philippines, but the information should be interesting.  Nice thing about Jap catalogues, the spec entries are quite standardized thus it is very convenient to compare various makes and technologies on an equal basis, unlike in the Philippines where it appears like makers are using metric and imperial units altogether as a marketing gimmick, thus creating a lot of confusion and misunderstanding.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
LCDs are suitable for all lighting conditions, even outdoors except under very bright sunlight.  If you're not satisfied with the auto-dimmer feature (which was implemented as an energy saving feature first and foremost), then just adjust the brightness and contrast settings manually.  Even with the auto-dimmer, I would normally tweak the TV settings to my liking depending on the lighting condition, but the wife is not so keen on those detailed manual adjustments and relies on various presets.  She doesn't like the Dynamic preset except when watching HD DVD.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
just a comment on "power consumption" difference between LCD and Plasma

...is and should be  irrelevant...  anyone who can afford either one probably can pay for his Meralco bills easily  ;D

like those guys who can afford a Benz, BMW, etc... fuel consumption is irrelevant  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #186 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 01:12 PM »
Power consumption is relevant, CRT is on the way out, everyone will surely get one of these Flat Panels eventually(Who knows by next year, they might be available as surplus at the Pier), and it'll even be a lot cheaper when compared to the CRT prices during their "Boom days". ;)

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #187 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 01:30 PM »
mga sirs, question po. what would be better for ps2/ps3 gaming, an htpc (surfing and a little pc gaming as well), plasma or lcd?  thanks guys!

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 01:57 PM »
The game specs and PC requirements you gave will only mean one thing;..............LCD.

No screen burn, auto off, no glare.

Just think, why are PC monitors LCD and not Plasma panels?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 02:33 PM »
Power consumption is relevant, CRT is on the way out, everyone will surely get one of these Flat Panels eventually(Who knows by next year, they might be available as surplus at the Pier), and it'll even be a lot cheaper when compared to the CRT prices during their "Boom days". ;)

On a personal basis, power consumption "may" become relevant because we've got to pay the electric bills.  On the other hand, what the hell does somebody who's willing to buy a TV larger than 40V expect in the first place?

On a bigger picture, power consumption should be a concern for Meralco, the Napocor and the Phil Government.  If all Philippine households were capable of purchasing huge sized TVs at the moment, I doubt if the existing electrical networks would be able to carry the load.

On an even bigger scale, reduction of power consumption is relevant if you love the mother earth.  :)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 02:45 PM »
On a bigger picture, power consumption should be a concern for Meralco, the Napocor and the Phil Government.  If all Philippine households were capable of purchasing huge sized TVs at the moment, I doubt if the existing electrical networks would be able to carry the load.

Yes...it can shoulder the load,  :o as of the present time, we have a lot of surplus power c/o the IPPoP (Independent Private Power providers) that have been allowed during the Ramos Administration, that is also the reason why we have been paying more since we are still paying for the power surplus  even thought we are not consumming it. :'(

In fact, if I remember right, NAPOCOR filed a complaint against MERALCO, since they have been buying power from one of their sister companies, instead of directly buying it from NAPOCOR.

Maybe the engineers, and Lawyers who are aware of such a situation can enlighten us about this. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007 at 02:48 PM by Alfie »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 03:02 PM »
mga sirs, question po. what would be better for ps2/ps3 gaming, an htpc (surfing and a little pc gaming as well), plasma or lcd?  thanks guys!

What do you mean by "better?"  "Better" in terms of what?  Boy classmate of my daughter uses a 50V Panasonic for his PS2/PS3 while the father connects his laptop to the same Plasma for internet surfing in the living room.  I drooled when I saw that set-up.  The only issue here is the budget I think.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 05:11 PM »
What information do you need?  I can possibly post the complete specs of Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Victor, Hitachi, etc. based on their Jan-Mar 2007 catalog in Japan (I would have to translate the entries).   Many of the models may not be available in the Philippines, but the information should be interesting. 

That's nice Clondalkin. Let me have a look around some of the local shops here & see what models they carrying. Will get back to you :)

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #193 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
BUMP?!  ::)

A bit OT.

In terms of PQ only, which is better a decent 32" HD CRT TV  or a mid level 32" LCD?

Im just wondering if its already worth upgrading to LCD  :)

BTW, Im not into BR or HD-DVD (yet) he he.

TIA

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 10:06 AM »
Wah kawawa all the Plasma out there. It appears that all the sales men have been trained to "focus" in LCD... I went to two shops yesterday & asked for their recommendations...whoa...they all told me similar "negative reasons" of plasma..  :-[ Some common answers include:

-Plasma is obsolete na
-Plasma has burn-in problem
-What? Now days it's all about LCD!
-Plasma PQ can't compare to LCD, etc

The trend in our local stores are going will result in Plasma natural death. Thus, it's undeniable LCD will rule... :)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007 at 12:30 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
Yes, that's true.  These days, the market's impression is that plasma is an outdated technology, so anyone who buys a plasma panel must be a dumb schmuck who doesn't know any better.

If the small retailers want to survive, they would do well to push plasma panels.  Since they won't be able to stand toe to toe competing against the appliance retail giants anyway, they should focus on what the traditional appliance stores don't have.

For example, Cardinal Audio in V-mall Greenhills sells Singapore import Panasonic 42" plasma EDTVs for only P90,000.  Meron pa silang tindang HDMI cable P1,200 lang; generic pero maganda naman, gold plated with braided insulation. 

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007 at 12:17 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 05:27 PM »
BUMP?!  ::)

Backwitz Bro, you've got to consider that most of the CRT HDTVs in our beloved country have already been dumped from Japan and may not be at optimum condition.  Anyways, comparing my Sony super fine pitch 32DX850  with a 37V GD6 Aquos when watching regular TV programs, satellite TV and DVD, there is no doubt that the CRT color is superior.  Upscaled DVDs are just plain awesome.

When watching hd broadcast and HD DVD, the CRT is relatively softer and lacks the 3d effect which is expected because of the inherent limitation of the CRT resolution.  Yet, I would say that the CRT is still able to display very impressive hd quality images especially when the scene is bright and colorful.  Without an LCD or Plasma, a 32 inch HDTV CRT is satisfactory for hi-def viewing.

TFC (ABS-CBN's The Filipino Channel) SUCKS beyond description on my LCD.  It is tolerable on the CRT even though the signal quality is obviously poor compared to American and European channels.   Kulang sa kulay, kulang sa linaw, ngongo ang tunog pero makapal ang foundation ng hosts, actors and actresses.

Xbox360 (720p) gaming is AWESOME for both.   Anything CG is pretty impressive in hi-def, whether you watch it in CRT or an LCD.

Is it worth upgrading now?  If you're not into any form of hi-def yet, I don't think so.  If you can afford an LCD or a Plasma, WHY NOT.   In any case, once you upgrade to an LCD or Plasma, it would be even harder to WAIT for the format war to settle.

As I always advise, I still think Plasma is MORE SUITABLE in the Philippines.  Kaya lang, Plasmas seem to be more expensive than LCDs out there.   That is quite surprising actually.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007 at 05:34 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 08:14 PM »
if plasma is obsolete then why is it that fujitsu, pioneer, NEC, panasonic, et al still makes them?

my personal preference is plasma for color tones are natural and not so unreal like the LCDs. also my plasma (NEC PX50XR5W) displays accurate blacks and doesn't blur or ghosts during fast scenes or when watching sports. LCD looks grainier than plasma when i compared it side by side and they don't come in big sizes (50" above) at that time when i got my plasma last year. for gaming, nothing beats CRT. i still have a CRT on standby if i want to play games and the LCD is for usual computer use.

just my 2cents.

shalom :)

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 10:29 PM »
something useful for those who are considering this model

http://www.sony.com.au/category.jsp?id=30607
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 02:05 PM »
The maker of the "world's first Plasma flat TV" throws in the towel:

==============================================================

Philips to drop Plasma Displays
March 15 2007, 12:49 PM

... Philips plans to phase out the PDP TV sales globally except for the North American and Australian markets.

http://www.evertiq.com/newsx/read_news.aspx?newsid=6990&cat=4

==============================================================

If you've seen how a Philips plasma panel looks like, this news would not surprise you.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007 at 02:17 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 06:22 PM »
i agree that the plasma PQ is better than LCD.

unfortunately, walang Panny PX60U dito e. :( meron ba?  and the panny 600U & pioneer elites cost an arm and a leg! :( 

Di ba yung Panny PX60 and PX600 ang may "purple snakes" issue?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Panasonic-TH42PX70/magenta-noise-statement.jpg

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #201 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 09:44 AM »
Backwitz Bro, you've got to consider that most of the CRT HDTVs in our beloved country have already been dumped from Japan and may not be at optimum condition.  Anyways, comparing my Sony super fine pitch 32DX850  with a 37V GD6 Aquos when watching regular TV programs, satellite TV and DVD, there is no doubt that the CRT color is superior.  Upscaled DVDs are just plain awesome.

When watching hd broadcast and HD DVD, the CRT is relatively softer and lacks the 3d effect which is expected because of the inherent limitation of the CRT resolution.  Yet, I would say that the CRT is still able to display very impressive hd quality images especially when the scene is bright and colorful.  Without an LCD or Plasma, a 32 inch HDTV CRT is satisfactory for hi-def viewing.

TFC (ABS-CBN's The Filipino Channel) SUCKS beyond description on my LCD.  It is tolerable on the CRT even though the signal quality is obviously poor compared to American and European channels.   Kulang sa kulay, kulang sa linaw, ngongo ang tunog pero makapal ang foundation ng hosts, actors and actresses.

Xbox360 (720p) gaming is AWESOME for both.   Anything CG is pretty impressive in hi-def, whether you watch it in CRT or an LCD.

Is it worth upgrading now?  If you're not into any form of hi-def yet, I don't think so.  If you can afford an LCD or a Plasma, WHY NOT.   In any case, once you upgrade to an LCD or Plasma, it would be even harder to WAIT for the format war to settle.

As I always advise, I still think Plasma is MORE SUITABLE in the Philippines.  Kaya lang, Plasmas seem to be more expensive than LCDs out there.   That is quite surprising actually.

thanks bro. =).
There is a seller of brandnew (refurbished?) Tosh here in the PI.  I might just settle for this one for now.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 05:18 PM »
thanks bro. =).
There is a seller of brandnew (refurbished?) Tosh here in the PI.  I might just settle for this one for now.

My advise is to buy the newest model LCD you can afford.  You may have to spend more but as you know, LCD HDTV technology is highly evolutionary and there have been some significant improvement in overall PQ over the past 4 years.  Stay away from LCD PC Monitors, as their panels are mostly of TN type, the cheapest LCD technology - worst PQ - lowest contrast ratio, lowest color latitude, narrowest field of view (horizontal and vertical), but response times can be very fast.

Offline pepe

• Apprentice
  • Clear copies only
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
Stay away from LCD PC Monitors, as their panels are mostly of TN type, the cheapest LCD technology

Bro, what is TN Type ? In that case, panels used in LCD PC Monitors and that of LCD TV are different? Are they inferior?

By May 2007, AOC distributor will be releasing in the market their 32" LCD HDTV @ 1,200 CR and @ 900 brightness w/ 6 ms RT.  Price will be around 30 to 35K. 

So far, my experience with LCD PC monitors is ok, especially when used with a good source of video, proper calibration of color in video card and other tweaks.  I'm using a 22" WS AOC monitor.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
Stay away from LCD PC Monitors, as their panels are mostly of TN type, the cheapest LCD technology

Bro, what is TN Type ? In that case, panels used in LCD PC Monitors and that of LCD TV are different? Are they inferior?
By May 2007, AOC distributor will be releasing in the market their 32" LCD HDTV @ 1,200 CR and @ 900 brightness w/ 6 ms RT.  Price will be around 30 to 35K. 
So far, my experience with LCD PC monitors is ok, especially when used with a good source of video, proper calibration of color in video card and other tweaks.  I'm using a 22" WS AOC monitor.

TN stands for Twisted Nematic.  LCD PC Monitors and LCD HDTVs are for the most part different, that's why the price difference is quite huge.   Most commercial LCD PC monitors are weak when used as TV or for viewing video, but, decent LCD HDTVs perform quite well for computing as well.  There sure are gazillions of references on LCD technologies that you can find in the net.   For starters, you may check the following.  Note that these articles do not cover all LCD technologies.  Sharp for instance uses their proprietary Advanced Super View (ASV) type panel, while Sony uses Samsung's tweaked S-PVA types.

Anyways, mainstream PC Monitors are usually TN type due to cost considerations.  Pinikit ko yung Eizo PVA panel for my PC because color accuracy is particularly important for the wife, but it's still very much mid-range compared to the S-IPS LCD PC Monitors that graphic artists use.  Be sure to verify the particular panel type when looking for an LCD monitor.  Some sellers would probably have no idea at all about the various LCD techs so just be smart yourself. 

You get what you pay for in the LCD business.

http://www.vnunet.com/personal-computer-world/features/2149165/tft-technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007 at 07:48 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 07:04 AM »
maybe next time we'll be talking about this instead of lcd and plasma:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST32201620070412?pageNumber=2
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
Hopefully, pero matagal pa yan:

The most problematic characteristic of OLED is the limited lifetime of its organic materials. The red and green LEDs have acceptable 10,000 to 40,000 hour lifetimes, but the blue component has high failure rates after about 3,000 to 5,000 hours. Thus, the key to an OLED panel's longevity is improvement in the blue LED's lifespan.

Another problem is water sealing.  The intrusion of water into displays can damage or destroy the organic materials.

OLED is easier to manufacture than LCD, so it's projected to ultimately become cheaper than LCDs.  Unlike LCDs, OLEDs have more accurate colors and do not have any viewing angle degradation. Also, LCDs employ a backlight and are incapable of showing true black, while OLEDs can easily produce better blacks by simply turning off the pertinent OLED elements.

OLEDs can even be printed onto flexible substrates such as roll-up displays or even displays embedded in clothing.

Palpak pa sa ngayon, pero pag nasolve ang problema sa blue LEDs, papatok yan dahil mas mura daw ito sa LCD.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
Looks very promising:

Samsung LE40M87BDX Review

... "The Samsung LE40M87BDX is notable in that it has blurred the lines which separate good LCD TVs from good Plasmas. Its black level performance rivalling many a good plasma." ...

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/samsung_le40m87bdx.htm

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2007 at 05:59 PM »
New plasma marketing campaign in Australia cites consumer blind test conducted by Synovate:

Plasma TV Is Better Than LCD And Thats Official
By David Richards | Wednesday | 16/05/2007

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Plasma/H3Q5M9F6

Plasma promo site (Panasonic Australia): http://www.whychooseplasma.com.au/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 06:05 PM by barrister »

Offline roelmc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2007 at 05:21 AM »
Gusto ko po bumili ng 42" up na plasma or LCD, budget is 150 to 200k.  Ok lang po kung 720p kung yon lang kasya sa budget or kung maganda talaga yung particular model.

After ko maglibot sa karamihan ng appliance stores sa Makati, ang napansin ko po eh makukuha na yung gusto kong tv sa 100k. Though yung mga 200k worth na mga lcds and plasmas medyo nakaka-tukso talaga.

Ito po ang mga nakita ko na medyo nakuha yung attention ko:

- Hitachi 42PD9800TA, 42" Plasma, sabi nung salesman, without the freebies and kung cash, kaya ibaba up to 117k (yung 42PD9500TA kaya daw up to 90k ang difference lang daw is walang PiP tsaka motorised swivel ito), kaso nga lang 1024x1080 lang ang resolution, pero 1400nit naman at 10000:1 contrast ratio

- Samsung LE40F71, 40" LCD, full HD resolution, 140k, pero may free 20" LCD, so siguro kung wala lahat ng freebies at cash malaki pa ibababa, yun nga lang 500nit at 6000:1 ang contrast ratio

Bale itong dalawa ang una kong titignan pero titignan ko pa rin yung ibang models. Dadalhin ko yung aking MG-350HD at magpaplay ng mga sample videos at titignan ko kung saan pinaka-ok na PQ.

Any other recommendations?