Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271597 times)

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #540 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM »
I agree. Most consumers (those who are not actively educating themselves on this particular interest of ours) would normally just rely on the salesperson's advice and will most likely make judgements based on the salesperson's comments. If a salesperson tells me that a certain technology is on its way out the door, I would think twice about purchasing that item. Who wouldn't? That would be normal IMO. As fast as technology advances on a daily basis, the consumer, in the end will have to trust what the salesperson is saying. Nothing wrong with it if the salesperson is indeed knowledgeable about the subject. But how would an average Joe like me know if the salesperson is indeed telling the truth? Exactly, why I joined pdvd last May 29.

Even technology has propaganda. Sales sometimes overlook consumer remorse.
Start counting all the LCDTV commercials VS plasma advertising. How many Samsung ads have you guys seen? How many pannys?

I've had my LCD Bravia 46W300 for a little over two weeks and as much as I hate to admit, I still think about that 50pv70. But no remorse here. I got what I wanted.
I just know that in the evenings, when all the lights are off and I watch a BD movie, that plasma would have produced a much better PQ.
But I was more anal about the reflection. That was my choice.

However, (my future) plasma is still not out of the picture.
Someday, when I get my new house built with the dedicated HT (construction starts late this year)...I can still imagine the plasma in my HT and the LCD Bravia in my bedroom or office?? And with all the local consumers on pdvd who are definitely not your typical audio video customers, there's still hope for people like myself to make better choices about what I put inside the HT.

Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #541 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 09:29 AM »
Reading further down my concern with plasma still appears to be true. They consume much more energy than LCD and generate more heat too. So if you have an enclosed room you'd spend more electricity to run your HDTV and need more energy to run your air-con higher as well.

That honestly makes no sense these days despite the aesthetic allure of plasmas. Given the 60,000 hr lifespan of plasma and LCD you'd spend almost 25% more on running cost for your plasma than an LCD. This doesn't consider the added energy needed to cool down a plasma-lit room.

Exactly my concern which is why 'm having second thoughts on plasma. Sa mga sirs, significant po ba yun heat produced by plasma and how's your electric bill after getting plasma?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
Exactly my concern which is why 'm having second thoughts on plasma. Sa mga sirs, significant po ba yun heat produced by plasma and how's your electric bill after getting plasma?

It's not as hot as the sun but it sure does make a confined space warmer.  Just got a new plasma this spring so I haven't tested it in winter time.   Significant increase in temp?  That depends on you.  Manila's normal room temp is about 28-30 degrees I guess.  30 plus degrees in summer time.   I don't think it would make so much difference in air cooling of a (confined) room if the temperature increases by 2-3 degrees due to plasma.  It's the humidity that can overwork your cooler more.  The heat generated by plasma is dry.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:07 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM »
Despite all of that.....I still prefer PLasma.

You can determine the cost of choosing PLasma over LCD......

but in my end..and in my opinion...the fact that I know I have the better PQ in my panel.  Thats priceless.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM by Munskie »

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
Despite all of that.....I still prefer PLasma.

You can determine the cost of choosing PLasma over LCD......

but in my end..and in my opinion...the fact that I know I have the better PQ in my panel.  Thats priceless.  ;)

I 2nd to this! Quality over quantity. If your a video fanatic you'll go for plasma ;)

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:10 PM »
how about the electricity consumption of plasma vs lcd? in a month kasi my electric bill is 3.5k and my current tv is only a 21" crt. if i choose a 42" plasma gaano kaya kalaki ang bill ko?abot kaya ng 5k? ???

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
I 2nd to this! Quality over quantity. If your a video fanatic you'll go for plasma ;)

There are pdvd gurus here that can justify that plasma's PQ is still better than LCD's. ( comparing apples to apples ) IMHO, they've earned their right to make such comments judging by their own set-ups and gears...most of whom are really finicky about the PQ of movies or film. I'm almost positive that they did their home work already before making this conclusion. More so, i'm sure that their eyes are more calibrated than mine. ;D

I guess, in the end, much like my own experience, most of us will have to make decisions based on "what is important to you".
If the electric bill is what someone would be more concerned with, then I would imagine that LCD is a much better choice.
If heat dissipation is a major issue, get the LCD by all means.

Most articles I've read state that LCD's PQ is now catching up...i think that this is a pretty good indication that plasma is better. However, there are so many other things to consider like panel size, viewing distance, lighting, etc.

I remember one of the posts here ( nemesis91 i believe ) about his kids' eyes hurting from watching cartoons on LCD. My apologies if I misquoted.
My point is, sometimes my eyes do hurt after watching a movie using my LCDTV. Maybe it's my calibration or lack of proper calibration...i don't know.

When I bought the LCDTV, the salesman from the store mentioned many times how the PQ on the Bravia is much better than 50pv70. I actually disagree but the "reflection" is more of my concern. So i ended up with the LCD although it costs more.
I also based my decision on my plan to use a PJ for my future dedicated HT.

Last night, i watched "house of the flying daggers" BD and there were moments when I was not too happy with the LCD's performance.
However, my wife claims that the PQ is indeed really nice and a lot better...compared to my 36" TV.  ;D ;D ;D
No complaints on my end with any type of reflection tho.  ;)

Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:48 PM »
Yup bro, I agree.   Its all about preference.    Thats why it is important to always include the words "in my end" or "in my opinion'  to my posts.  ;)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #548 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:52 PM »
how about the electricity consumption of plasma vs lcd? in a month kasi my electric bill is 3.5k and my current tv is only a 21" crt. if i choose a 42" plasma gaano kaya kalaki ang bill ko?abot kaya ng 5k? ???

Probably tataas ang bill mo, just by the fact that from 21" to 42" kahit sa CRT tataas na yan. I don't think tataas ang electric bill mo by almost 50% if you upgrade to a flat panel. I did not notice any significant increase in my electric bill naman  ;D

Parang ganito yan "Friend tells me bro sobra taas na ng gasolina na, na enjoy mo pa ba ang kotse mo" my reply is I started to stop worrying about gasoline prices since I have no control over it anyways. What I did now is to enjoy my car more. Reason if I do not enjoy my car and worry more about rising gasoline prices then double wammy yun. Better to enjoy one than enjoy nothing at all  ;)

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 03:09 PM »
Yup bro, I agree.   Its all about preference.    Thats why it is important to always include the words "in my end" or "in my opinion'  to my posts.  ;)

Same here Munskie. But you know, laking tulong ng mga experienced members here indeed...like yourself. I'm working with my architect now regarding my future HT. I followed your 3rd ratio as far as size. Thanks pala. Medyo matagal pa yun but now I try to read more about "building a dedicated HT" thread while the layout of the house is in-progress pa lang.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2008 at 03:16 PM by alvinh »

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
Probably tataas ang bill mo, just by the fact that from 21" to 42" kahit sa CRT tataas na yan. I don't think tataas ang electric bill mo by almost 50% if you upgrade to a flat panel. I did not notice any significant increase in my electric bill naman  ;D

Parang ganito yan "Friend tells me bro sobra taas na ng gasolina na, na enjoy mo pa ba ang kotse mo" my reply is I started to stop worrying about gasoline prices since I have no control over it anyways. What I did now is to enjoy my car more. Reason if I do not enjoy my car and worry more about rising gasoline prices then double wammy yun. Better to enjoy one than enjoy nothing at all  ;)

thanks sir!btw how much ung tinaas ng bill mo when you got your plasma?and ano po ung tv nyo before buying the plasma? :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #551 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
Last night, i watched "house of the flying daggers" BD and there were moments when I was not too happy with the LCD's performance.

Maybe it's the disc's fault.   Flying Daggers is a good demo for sound, but one of the worst demos for picture.

Try Ratatouille or Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 06:12 PM »
Maybe it's the disc's fault.   Flying Daggers is a good demo for sound, but one of the worst demos for picture.

Try Ratatouille or Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Will try barrister. I'm just starting to collect BDs. blu pill = 2 >:( >:( >:(
Baka naman talagang LCD... ;D
It's not even the fast moving scenes that bother me. It's the slow ones when I think the image slightly warps.
I'll just try another BD as you suggested.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 06:38 PM »
thanks sir!btw how much ung tinaas ng bill mo when you got your plasma?and ano po ung tv nyo before buying the plasma? :)

sir, as i mentioned diko masyado napansin ang tass sa bill, if ever mayron. Dati I was using a 40" RPTV before I switched to Plasma  ;)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #554 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 06:44 PM »
Significant ba talga itataas ng electric bill if you use Plasma TV compared to an LCD TV?  I think hindi naman siguro.. Significant sa kin if my electric bill will jump more than 1,000.00 per month.  Besides I will not be using the TV 24 hours a day.  I will still go with the Plasma TV because of its better PQ and better blacks.  Besides, my HT is really dark since it is enclosed, without windows and I watch TV with all the lights turned off anyways.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 07:39 PM »
wow! many thanks for the many inputs! kung around 500 pesos lang naman ang increase sa electrical bill then ok na yun.

one question though: our future HDTV would be placed in a wall bet windows in the right and left side and the room is bright during daytime. The CRT placed there right now had reflections in the screen. Is it still advisable to have plasma given the location? hindi po kaya magkaroon din ng reflection just like in the CRT?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #556 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 09:26 PM »
wow! many thanks for the many inputs! kung around 500 pesos lang naman ang increase sa electrical bill then ok na yun.

one question though: our future HDTV would be placed in a wall bet windows in the right and left side and the room is bright during daytime. The CRT placed there right now had reflections in the screen. Is it still advisable to have plasma given the location? hindi po kaya magkaroon din ng reflection just like in the CRT?

yes there will be ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 09:39 PM »
ganun po ba? lalo tuloy ako naguguluhan whether plasma or lcd?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM »

For your location, LCD TV will be more advisable than Plasma TV unless you watch mostly at night.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:53 PM »
Actually, more watching at night coz only our youngest daughter watch during daytime. but we turned off the lights when we watched at night. haay, lcd for daytime watching and plasma for night watching?   :-\

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:07 AM »

Walang P500 sir for plasma siguro 50 + up.. ;)

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM »
ganun lang ba? pwedeng pwede na
how's the anti-glare of PV8? malaking tulong kaya sa paglalagyan namin sa room as i've posted above?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #562 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM »
cnn and i had lower bills ..  ::) ::)
nagtataka rin nga kami eh .. sakin from 2.2k to 1.7k .. :)
unlike lcdtv daw kasi sa plasma yata depende kung gaano ka bright yung scene eh .. although 240 watts yung LG 32" on paper .. di naman sya constant .. pero ill try and monitor my bills in the following months .. :D
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #563 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 01:30 AM »

i did not notice a significant electric bill increase when i upgraded to a 50" plasma. pero kung meron man siguro tumaas dahil you are using the tv more than your previous set, kasi bago ;D and also use the aircon at the same time.

sa reflection naman, my room has a big wide window opposite to where the plasma is and this was my dilemma before. sinunod ko lang ang suggestions ng mga gurus dito to cover the windows with curtain and off i go. meron talagang reflections from at a certain angles in my setup but nasanay narin ako dahil nung crt pa gamit ko may reflections din naman. but masaya ako dahil sa size, pic quality and price ng plasma compared kung same size lcd ang binili ko.

check my setup (link below) where you'll notice how big is my window, it's the whole part covered by the curtain.
my setup

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #564 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
Assuming P500 times 12 months would come out as P6,000.00. This is assuming you Meralco keeps a constant power rate. Now multiply it by a conservative 5 years. It then becomes P30,000. Let's double that to 10 years and it becomes P60,000.

Other than the power bill also consider the carbon emission that was the result of the power generation. A lot here I assume are very with the trend of environmental conservation and yet...

Then again if you have money for a 50-incher or above then what's P60,000 over ten years? You may as well all switch to incandescent light bulbs because they output prettier light than ugly florescent lamps and compact florescent light bulbs.

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
i did not notice a significant electric bill increase when i upgraded to a 50" plasma. pero kung meron man siguro tumaas dahil you are using the tv more than your previous set, kasi bago ;D and also use the aircon at the same time.

sa reflection naman, my room has a big wide window opposite to where the plasma is and this was my dilemma before. sinunod ko lang ang suggestions ng mga gurus dito to cover the windows with curtain and off i go. meron talagang reflections from at a certain angles in my setup but nasanay narin ako dahil nung crt pa gamit ko may reflections din naman. but masaya ako dahil sa size, pic quality and price ng plasma compared kung same size lcd ang binili ko.

check my setup (link below) where you'll notice how big is my window, it's the whole part covered by the curtain.
my setup

thanks for the suggestion. But the bedroom windows had blinds and mainit po pag naka-close ang blinds kung hindi on ang aircon. wish i had a dedicated HT room :(

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
Assuming P500 times 12 months would come out as P6,000.00. This is assuming you Meralco keeps a constant power rate. Now multiply it by a conservative 5 years. It then becomes P30,000. Let's double that to 10 years and it becomes P60,000.

Other than the power bill also consider the carbon emission that was the result of the power generation. A lot here I assume are very with the trend of environmental conservation and yet...

Then again if you have money for a 50-incher or above then what's P60,000 over ten years? You may as well all switch to incandescent light bulbs because they output prettier light than ugly florescent lamps and compact florescent light bulbs.

I would still go for a 50" plasma tv..  ;D ;D ;D 

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 01:02 PM »

i have a window directly fronting my Plasma and ok naman. the reflection on the CRT will be more noticeable than the Plasma because of the anti-glare features of the newer models. if in case you still see reflections, i think window blinds will resolve this issue  ;)

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
Thanks sir vtec3
To users of plasma with anti-glare esp PV8: How effective is this feature?
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 at 01:06 PM by surg »

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 01:20 PM »
you will still see reflection sa top and bottom nung screen if you are viewing widescreen (which almost is all the time). pero not dun sa part nung screen where you actually watch the film  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 at 03:31 PM by vtec3 »