Author Topic: CD Player  (Read 177567 times)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CD Player
« Reply #420 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 09:32 AM »
From the photo of those who were at the CD shootout, I'd say the age profile of audio enthusiasts in Manila has gone down. Back in the mid-80s when I was new into this hobby and tried weekend home audio trade as sideline, the majority of the guys who would visit me were old, mostly in their '50s, including a lot of retirees. Sila yung may pera to buy expensive gears: doctors, lawyers, exporters, company executives, and they arrived at our house in Diliman in their flashy cars to take a look at what I was selling. May matrona pa!

Notwithstanding the irony offered by those surplus equipment, I'm sure the rich kids and the flashy cars are still there, at nakakainggit kayo since I'm now based in Davao at hindi ako kasing yaman ninyo. Anyway, I read somewhere here you used a test CD from Chesky which is more jazz music and vocals? I think the right software used should be Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc (UDD) which audiophile groups in the US apply as standard during shootouts. This is because it has the parameters required - explanations and sample music - to appraise an equipment and an audio system.

Someone there could lend you a copy of that disc for a shootout. If you can't find one and you need it, I can make it available online. I'll apply some safety measures since this is a borderline case, but I need to know if you guys are interested. There'd be some degradation but at least it would be available free-to-burn.
Thanks for your help we really appreciate it, hope we can meet you and join us here in Manila. Actually the best experience during this kind of sessions are the people around you  who understand your interest, people who are really like you, sharing the same appreciation with Music. Friendship and Learing thru somebodys experiences.
BTW, we are using the your recommended Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disk (UDD)  (this is really fantastic) we have two (2) original copies during the CD shoot-out. Thanks for your concern and interest Sir!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #421 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 09:50 AM »
odyopayl,

Tube na ba? Hhmmm........ Yan ang mahirap sa session eh!!!! >:D >:D >:D

Offline murcielago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #422 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 09:57 AM »
Tagal na akong may SARS sa tube amp guys.  Wala lang ma-appropriate na budget pa.  But I'm definitely going for valved gear soon :D. The only question now is which tubed amp (and preamp to buy). Sir rony, sent you a PM.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:09 AM »
Thanks for your help we really appreciate it, hope we can meet you and join us here in Manila. Actually the best experience during this kind of sessions are the people around you  who understand your interest, people who are really like you, sharing the same appreciation with Music. Friendship and Learing thru somebodys experiences.

You're right Odyopayl, and that that's what I miss here now. Kaya lang nuon puro matatanda ang mga kausap ko, hindi ako nag-enjoy. If I were in the shootout, I would have documented the process and the materials used, i.e. the CD players tested, the CDs played, the reference support electronics and speakers used, and probably the informal scores from everyone who were present. Not really for competition (although we can't avoid it when we compare things), but for fun and that would be useful for those very interested but were not able to attend that event. I'm a journalist, by the way. The documentation would include the process's limitations and comments on the character of each equipment. The Usher, for instance, needs a little more time to reach its optimum output, and let's accept it, it's a new-generation CD player built to be modified, tailor-fit to the listening preferences of the owner and not necessarily to impress others. It's something other players generally can't offer, and that should be pointed out.

thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #424 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:29 AM »
thanks audioslave! hehe haba agad ng thread na 'to!  ;D
looks like the exposure is a sure favorite among the fans even on the forecasts earlier on  :D
sayang i could have been there but went home in the province, i could have met you guys lalo na yung owners of tube amps hehehe malamang mahawa ako
anyways, the rotel 1072 and arcam 73 didn't make it for the independence day shootout???
it could have been a good contender, lalo na yung consonance  :D
next time, sana new players like the newer rotels and arcams esp. the tube cd players i.e. opera, cayin jolida etc. for the second shootout hehe

cheers guys!
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #425 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:35 AM »

Isa pa yan sir......kinukulit ko na pinsan ko na maghanap ng amperex hehehe saan ba marami nyan?
sa hongkong lang o singapore sir marami niyan! pwede ka naman mag-online purchase.  :)

mas lalong lalala yang SARS mo pag-narinigmo sir yung dalawa kong "Precious" >:D >:D >:D

Offline murcielago

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM »
Actually the Usher of odyopayl, broken-in or not was very impressive already. I'd be curious to know how it would sound when fully broken-in.  And like you said, its built for upgrading like a PC  (pull out that Geforce 3 and plug in a Geforce FX).  Odyopayl, which component is this? Opamp ba?

Offline sebman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Guru
  • yes mi lord
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:40 AM »

sa hongkong lang o singapore sir marami niyan! pwede ka naman mag-online purchase.  :)

mas lalong lalala yang SARS mo pag-narinigmo sir yung dalawa kong "Precious" >:D >:D >:D

agree... yung amx ni kuya pa lang naririnig mo... mas matindi tong 2 precious na to..  :D  ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:47 AM »
Mas match yan 1070 dito. Ahehehehehehehe  >:D >:D >:D

Ito ata yun isa sa precious nya... na di ko kaya sa mahal  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:19 AM by DVDiva »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:50 AM »
Tagal na akong may SARS sa tube amp guys.  Wala lang ma-appropriate na budget pa.  But I'm definitely going for valved gear soon :D. The only question now is which tubed amp (and preamp to buy). Sir rony, sent you a PM.

Auditioning is the key sir.. so you'll can decide.. SET, & Push pull  >:D >:D >:D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 10:54 AM »
OT lang

sir baka masita na tayo tubo na ang pinag-uusapan. lipat tayo sa kabilang thread. ;D

matching would also play a major role between preamp and power amp.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:14 AM by kimpao »

Offline synchro

• Collector
  • when in doubt...go hybrid!
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:12 AM »

next time, sana new players like the newer rotels and arcams esp. the tube cd players i.e. opera, cayin jolida etc. for the second shootout hehe

mga bro...ok na ok yang ginawa ninyong shootout.  anlaking tulong sa mga kapwa audio enthusiasts yan lalo na when upgrade time comes. Nakakadiscover din ng mga undervalued gems like the Sony ES and the Denon na surplus.  sana next time I can take time off from work to attend another shootout and para ma-meet ko din the people behind it. more power to you guys.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:19 AM »
May For Sale na NAD C542 sa Buy & Sell Thread ???

guys, i wouldn't sell mine much less even think of upgrading to a better player in the near future. initially, i was impressed with how good the Exposure was and even thought of upgrading the opamps of my NAD C542 so that it can at least approximate how the Exposure may have sounded during the shootout session last Saturday. i did heard the Rotel RCD 1070 before and was very much awed by its deeper bass. but after critically listening to my equipment at home after the shoot out, i was convinced that the NAD C542 was performing excellently with my newly acquired NAD C352 so what the heck would i upgrade it for? it would not be C542 anymore if i will change any of its internal parts. as it is, i already loved its warmth and body, its wide dynamic range, precised imaging, focused soundstage (though not wider than the 1070's) and its natural vocal and musical timbre without exaggerating the low frequency spectrum. when partnered with the NAD C352, the thump... the kick... the slam... and the punch...  a solid state amp can deliver in my kind of music is definitely wanting in a tube amp. (no offense to all the tubeheads out there but we simply have our own personal preference in music). I do like tube amps too but would want it only for a second system for bedroom use.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:58 AM by audioslave »

Offline Vrion

• Collector
  • Make a Life
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:19 AM »
OT lang

sir baka masita na tayo tubo na ang pinag-uusapan. lipat tayo sa kabilang threads. ;D

matching would also play a major role between preamp and power amp.

In this case, pwede kaya ako makahiram nung ConTOdo   :P  kahit two nigths lang (Sino kaya ang me ginintuang puso  ;D  ;D)

Ikakabit ko sa Yamaha CDP (para di OT)

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:25 AM »
ganda nung tweak sa nad ah, looks interesting! tahnks akyat and superman!  :D

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:32 AM »
The obvious reason for this is that it is the only player equipped with a Burr-Brown 24-bit/96kHz Delta Sigma DAC which the other players in the shoot out simply doesn't have in their internal circuitry and so we should only expect a superb performance from this player if compared side by side with those players pitted against it.

i thought the rotel-1070 cdp sports a Burr-Brown PCM 1732 DAC??

Offline isak0411

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:37 AM »

palitan ko ng isang autumn in seattle na LP. pwede na?

cge  >:D sama ko pa remote O0
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:39 AM by isak0411 »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:39 AM »

i thought the rotel-1070 cdp sports a Burr-Brown PCM 1732 DAC??

Yes, krets, the rotel uses the new Burr-Brown PCM1732 IC

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:40 AM »
.. when partnered with the NAD C352, the thump... the kick... the slam... and the punch a solid state amp can deliver in my kind of music is definitely wanting in a tube amp. (no offense to all the tubeheads out there but we simply have our own personal preference in music). I do like tube amps too but would want it only for a second system for bedroom use.
;D ;D

Pareho tayo, Sir. There are CD players that perform excellently with solid-state amps. I need the punch more than the sweetness, but if I can have both, which SS heavyweights could offer, I'd hit both objectives. The last time I auditioned valve amps matched with non-valve CD players in Manila in February playing my own CDs to have a comparison with what I'm used to hearing at home and at the shop, I was disappointed. A lot of dynamics, the live feeling, and especially the punch, were missing. I won't tell you the shop's name or the brands of equipment used since I felt some things were sacrificed in that demo: matching of equipment, the positioning of the speakers, and the environment. But I'm looking forward in buying one of those WS gears, likely a preamp, in my next Manila visit. I'll probably experiment and hook it to XLRs of professional amps such as Altec Lansing 9444B or a Phonic MAR 3, if that's possible.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:42 AM »
O nga pre eye and ear opener nga.... i'm now thinking of upgrading the opamps of my CDP, saan ba nakakabili at magkano ba op amps na AD826 or AD8066 as an upgrade replacement of the NAD C542's stock OP2134?

;D :)

Sir if you will upgrade for an OP Amp I suggest AD8066 i've already read a review: if your stock opamp is BB OP2134 to Analog Device (AD8066) the difference is night and day. We're using the same opamp. I am also looking for AD8066 which is already attached to adaptor for a tru hole (AD8066 is surface mount device pkg.)
Anybody?

Those chips are available at Newark Via Access Frontiers in Makati. The ad826 is about 5 dollars each. I don't think you can buy AD8066 with the adapter unless you buy from LCAudio which is ridiculously high. But you can buy the browndog adapter at Cimmaron Technology but minimum is 5 pieces (hmmm group buy?).

But if you really want to upgrade the cdp, consider changing the capacitors to better quality and/or higher values for better regulation. Change the rectifiers to HEXFREDS. Bypass the PS caps with wima or other better quality film caps. Get the best quality cap you can get for the output capacitor. Take out the muting transistors. Install a clock. KWAK Clock 7 by Elso Kwak is freely given by Elso , just email him and ask for the schematics. I have it and I've seen it and its not hard to do and it won't cost an arm. Actually the schematics are available at DIYAUDIO as a zip file if you have the patient to search for it.

The amount I spent for upgrading mine is just P1,145 for the panasonic capacitors (I tripled the capacitance of most of the PS filter caps) and WIMA film caps. I had rectifiers (MUR860s) on hand and would've cost me P391 for 8 pieces if I bought them instead. Also got the AD826 as samples abroad (which is P5 dollar each so P560 for a pair). So a capacitor, opamp, and rectifier updgrade will cost you about P2,100 depending on which parts you use.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
The shootout truly an eye opener but just like audioslave and sandawa mention its more of matching proper gear from cable, Interconnection, even power cords play a role in our setup..  :) :) even a movement in speaker placement can change the sound..

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #441 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:01 PM »
tanong lang mga bro, if it was a blind test would it have the same results? :)..anybody here owns a marantz cd 5400?..saw this on sale at electronic depo e..thanks

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #442 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:09 PM »
ed, bro...how much is the marantz at elec. depot? marantz is (accoding to some websites) easy to modify and have a tube output stage...thanks! 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:12 PM »
tanong lang mga bro, if it was a blind test would it have the same results? :)..anybody here owns a marantz cd 5400?..saw this on sale at electronic depo e..thanks

Pre I doubt na same decision yan.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:19 PM »
ed, bro...how much is the marantz at elec. depot? marantz is (accoding to some websites) easy to modify and have a tube output stage...thanks! 8)

10.5k sa electronics depot. was able to audiotion it two weeks ago. pwede na for a 10k budget cd player.

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:20 PM »

jen, 10500pesos  hmmmm then u can bring it to sir Rene for tube modification hehehehehee ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:26 PM by edboy7 »

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #446 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:24 PM »

Pre I doubt na same decision yan.. ;D ;D ;D

hehehehe  yung 3 cguro, baka magrambulan lang  o mag iba sa rating ;D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #447 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:33 PM »

- The CD5400 CD player employs the latest digital-to-analogue converter and CD transport mechanism, delivering the highest musicality as well as convenient features - The Auto Music Scan (AMS) quickly finds the music on the disc and the Quick Replay enables to repeat favourite passages - It plays CD-R and CD-RW discs and displays CD-Text information such as artist name, and track titles - A choice of coaxial or optical digital outputs guarantees the best cable connection
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #448 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:43 PM »
sir obet maganda 914 sa tubes sana bili na rin kayo.

i agree bro...just watch for future developments ika nga bro...will have to let go one of my amps just in case ::)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 01:07 PM »

Yes, krets, the rotel uses the new Burr-Brown PCM1732 IC

well, here's the latest news... Burr Brown Corp. was recently acquired by Texas Instruments in a merger of the two companies with the TI as the surviving company. just wonderin', will Wolfson Microelectronics surpass Burr Brown in the DAC chips business? quite a number of players are now sporting the newer WM chips like the Arcams and the HKs. so, if ever a need to upgrade a CDP becomes an itch, look for the newer WM chips...

:o :o ;D