Author Topic: Branded DVD Player that is also good for pure Audio use  (Read 20264 times)

Offline markmlists

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Branded DVD Player that is also good for pure Audio use
« on: Aug 31, 2005 at 01:20 PM »
Hi,

Just quick one...

Which current model-branded dvd player have you experienced to be also good (or at least decent) with audio cd's? Im asking because im planning to have it serve as cd player as well. I understand "good" or "decent" is relative and subjective so any honest answer is appreciated.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:15 AM by markmlists »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Branded DVD Player that is good for Audio CD's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 05:07 PM »
Depends on how much you are willing to spend.

For a sub-10k budget check out the thread on the Philips DVP5500s. One of the posters there have tried it out on his audiophile equipment and attests to its good performance. This can play SACDs and also upsamples CDs.

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 05:20 PM »
there's a certain model of toshiba dvd player that is said to be good for audio. sorry, but i can't recall the model. quite a number of folks at audio asylum rate that particular model as a giant killer.
peace man!

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 05:42 PM »
Not sure if available there. Panasonic dvd-f87 5discs dvd/cd changer is good and even has upsamplimg capability.

***** REVIEW *****
http://shop.hardwarecentral.com/xPR-Panasonic_DVD_F87~RD-152128032388

***** MANUAL *****
http://www.panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingInstructions/dvdf87-oi-eng.pdf

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 10:28 AM »
Thanks to all.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2005 at 10:20 PM »
How about the HK DVD player or the Primare.

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 10:45 AM »
How about the HK DVD player or the Primare.
better not gamble with those brand, pioneer, philips better choices....

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 09:08 AM »
better not gamble with those brand, pioneer, philips better choices....

Jut to put things in context, I would consider Primare as high end.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/primare/idx_cddvd.htm

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 09:39 PM »
The Harman Kardon is also good in playing CD. The Primare no doubt but if you havent tried listening to it, go to Arch Audio and you can compare it with Pioneer and Philips.

Offline t_s_o_n_g

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 10:45 AM »
The Harman Kardon is also good in playing CD. The Primare no doubt but if you havent tried listening to it, go to Arch Audio and you can compare it with Pioneer and Philips.
I had a chance to hear these 2 players, HK and Pioneer, before at Arch Audio. They compared HK DVD-22 and Pioneer 667a side by side on same speaker, wires and amps. The DVD-22 performs well in playing audio cd's... you could really hear the difference. ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
a primare entry level can rival the flagship model of any pioneer or philips  ;)  :D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline rebelsage

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 01:06 PM »
i got the h/k dvd 22 a year ago precisely to double up for music/cd's.  pleasantly surprised to get excellent video as well.

Offline Lung_Butter

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 02:39 AM »
a primare entry level can rival the flagship model of any pioneer or philips  ;)  :D

Not true!!

A modded Denon 3910 is not a flagship model but still would go head to head with a an entry level Primare.
Take Arcam FMJ DV29 or a DV 78 cost less than an entry level Primare but would sound better twice or three times it's price. or add a DAC1http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/ converter then it would trully sound better than an entry level primare or better yet take the flagship Pioneer or Philips and have DAC1 and hear the difference.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2005 at 02:51 AM by Lung_Butter »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 08:50 AM »
But why do you need to modify the Denon 3910? Isnt the stock good enough? What if you use the Dac1  or modify the Primare? How do you think will it sound?

I think they were just explaining the reply that it is not safe to use Primare or HK and choose Pioneer and Philips.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 10:50 AM »
Not true!!

A modded Denon 3910 is not a flagship model but still would go head to head with a an entry level Primare.
Take Arcam FMJ DV29 or a DV 78 cost less than an entry level Primare but would sound better twice or three times it's price. or add a DAC1http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/ converter then it would trully sound better than an entry level primare or better yet take the flagship Pioneer or Philips and have DAC1 and hear the difference.

i don't remember including denon on the list buddy boy! and you said modded or simply modified, but of course it will! we're talking about stock here.  to add another outboard dac would be a different story, why would i race a stock mid-price car against a modified turbo-charged entry level car??? doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2005 at 02:35 PM by krets pulpol »

Offline Lung_Butter

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 03:25 PM »
Then compare the 2 Arcams and see what happens? If that what you were saying I'm only emphasizing that a Primare is not the only thing that could that could be better than the rest, lets say a Meridian stock you think a Primare would have a chance? No. If you got the moolahs then buy yourself a Primare, but for less than half the price then a little mod wouldn't hurt wouldn't it and the cost would be no more than a flagship Pioneer or Philips. You even heard what a Primare sounds like? Just because it's a little out of reach for everyones budget doesn't mean that it's all that. There are alot of giant killers out there for only a fraction of a cost. Next time you travel in Los Angeles I would let you audition anything you want and see what you've been missing instead of reading too much reviews on the net, remember they all use different gear so the results are normally inconclusive, it's your ears to decide not the guy who reviewed it and have a different gear than yours.

why would i race a stock mid-price car against a modified turbo-charged entry level car??? doesn't make sense.

And your saying a Primare is a mid price car, Gee!! I want one then, it's like you're comparing a Mercedes to a Honda.

Offline Lung_Butter

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 03:31 PM »
But why do you need to modify the Denon 3910? Isnt the stock good enough? What if you use the Dac1  or modify the Primare? How do you think will it sound?

I think they were just explaining the reply that it is not safe to use Primare or HK and choose Pioneer and Philips.

Who says about modding the Primare anyways? The answer to your Denon question is "because you can do it for a fraction of the price even with the unit itself and the cost would not hurt so much rather than owning a $3000 player and not have anything after.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 06:37 PM »
Then compare the 2 Arcams and see what happens? If that what you were saying I'm only emphasizing that a Primare is not the only thing that could that could be better than the rest, lets say a Meridian stock you think a Primare would have a chance? No. If you got the moolahs then buy yourself a Primare, but for less than half the price then a little mod wouldn't hurt wouldn't it and the cost would be no more than a flagship Pioneer or Philips. You even heard what a Primare sounds like? Just because it's a little out of reach for everyones budget doesn't mean that it's all that. There are alot of giant killers out there for only a fraction of a cost. Next time you travel in Los Angeles I would let you audition anything you want and see what you've been missing instead of reading too much reviews on the net, remember they all use different gear so the results are normally inconclusive, it's your ears to decide not the guy who reviewed it and have a different gear than yours.

And your saying a Primare is a mid price car, Gee!! I want one then, it's like you're comparing a Mercedes to a Honda.

i don't need to travel to los angeles to audition what i want because some of them are available here locally.  you just have to know who owns one or any local distributors.  you don't have to brag your in some place where you can audition any brand in your fingertips.  or if you want to go farther, why not go to singapore, hong kong, japan ces and audiophile shows.  and wahahaha i don't base my preference on reviews lung butter!  they're just guidelines on what's new.  of course you have to audition one.  editors tend to have biases at times.

hey i'm talking an entry level primare here, i think you're just assuming ALL primare's are expensive.  and what are we talking here, cd players or dvd players? just take the d20 around 1.2k+ usd.  there are a lot more spinners costing 3-5k usd, say a meridian if you want.

by the way, there are a lot more expensive cars than mercedes, so i'd place it in mid-price. take a ferrari for one 
why don't you try outrunning a stock c230 with a modified s2000 or even civic complete with nitrous oxide cans and we'll see what happens in a quarter mile. ;)

and i don't know what you're blabbering about.  we're talking pioneers, philips vs. primares  from the thread.

point is, there are a lot of dvd players out there which are good transports.  you'll just have to match them with right outboard dacs to appreciate more.

i'd say hk dv22 for one.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2005 at 06:51 PM by krets pulpol »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 12:42 AM »
Who says about modding the Primare anyways? The answer to your Denon question is "because you can do it for a fraction of the price even with the unit itself and the cost would not hurt so much rather than owning a $3000 player and not have anything after.

Then why do you compare stock with a modified? Even if you are saying it will still be cheaper, you cant find a modified player in any electronic store here. The thread is about Branded DVD player that is good for audio. If the topic is about modified DVD player then its a different thing. Pls read back and you will understand what is the discussion about the Primare. I never said its the best and the only option. I was just clarifying the post

"better not gamble with those brand, pioneer, philips better choices...."

I think the poster thought that the HK and Primare are unsafe brand.

Offline positive_noise

• Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 08:37 PM »
Hi Bros,

Currently, i'm using Pioneer DV-667A to play my DVD's, CD's & even my DVD-A and SACD! 8)  I find Pioneer more warm sounding compare to hk22 and philips642 which, IMHO i find it too mechanical in quality. Before I ended up in buying Pioneer DVD player I auditioned each player carefully and notice a little trick for the Pioneer to reveal it's audio details; just set the channel level output to -3dB. From my experience, most Audio equipment state their Specification at -/+ 3dB which eminent frequency response can be found at this level!

Additional to that, Pioneer DV-667A uses BurrBrown Audio DAC which is known for it's Quality! You can notice also that that 667A has quieter Mechanical movements which's associated to Vibration and Audio Quality! ;D

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;)

Offline vision_of_love

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 09:33 PM »
Hi

Currently, i'm using Pioneer DV-667A to play my DVD's, CD's & even my DVD-A and SACD! 8)

how much is it?the cheapest i can find where?thanks

Offline positive_noise

• Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 05:20 PM »
Hi Bro,

The Brandnew of Pioneer DV-667A cost 14T pesos. Basically, AV stores have the same selling price for Pioneer Brands.

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;)

Offline vision_of_love

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 04:04 PM »
Hi Bro,

The Brandnew of Pioneer DV-667A cost 14T pesos. Basically, AV stores have the same selling price for Pioneer Brands.

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;)

Offline dotnet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 08:07 PM »
Also try to audition the toshiba sd2970 at sm makati or anson's, i think they are the local version of 3950 :)

Offline mishnu

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:00 AM »
what do you look for or ask the seller to know kung ok yung quality ng audio in a dvd player?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:06 AM »
what do you look for or ask the seller to know kung ok yung quality ng audio in a dvd player?

Just listen to it. If it's good for you, then that's it.

Also, I read from another forum that even the cheap generics now can give a ruler-flat frequency response. Makes one wonder if there is still a need for a dedicated CD player.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:08 AM by bumblebee »

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:07 AM »
bring a cd that you are familiar with. listen to it, and let your ears be the judge. if your going to buy the player in an appliance store, i don't think asking the saleman if the player is good in playing cds. they will always say it is very good, if not excellent.
peace man!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:44 AM »
Just listen to it. If it's good for you, then that's it.

Also, I read from another forum that even the cheap generics now can give a ruler-flat frequency response. Makes one wonder if there is still a need for a dedicated CD player.

If you're using the digital connection, it technically doesn't matter. 
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:46 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline mishnu

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 01:42 PM »
i read somewhere about upsampling? does it matter??  ???

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
i read somewhere about upsampling? does it matter??  ???

There are technical benefits to upsampling - something that has already been done in the form of oversampling (4x and 8x seen in many CD players. They are procedurally about the same, but mathematically different.).  But whether the effects are audible is subject to a lot of debates in almost all the forums I've visited.  Upsampling and oversampling actually means gentler and cheaper after-DAC  filters that should lessen the cost of digital players.  It's those players without any form of oversampling that requires very expensive brickwall filters and are thus priced steeply.  Whether it matters or not, I leave that to the individual listener.  Obviously, you have to use the player's internal DAC to benefit from upsampling, that is, if it's an upsampling DAC.