Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 188600 times)

Offline dom_08

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #1710 on: May 02, 2011 at 11:20 PM »
good day,

i'm new to this forum, and i'm slowly browsing this thread and the other one (http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,6070.660.html). 

anyway, sumali ako dahil nag-iisp na akong mag-upgrade ng HT set-up. 

sa ngayon ito yung set-up ko:
JBL SCS10
US Audio US510
JVC RX552-V
Pioneer DV610AV
XBOX1
iPod Dock and iPod classic 120GB

stock wires ng JBL SCS10.

namana ko lang kasi yung JVC a couple of years back, so napabili ako ng speakers, and then last year yung pioneer dvd player, since nasira yung luma ko. pero recently parang nangangati na ako mag-upgrade.

plans ko (long term plan maybe within 5months)
good audio video receiver na may at least 3 digital in (2 optical, 1 coax)
WDTV (ganito gamit ng brother ko, and mukhang ok naman) (HDMI to lcdtv, optical to av receiver)
new set of speakers (?) kailangan ko na kaya?
additional front speakers for stereo use

sa ngayon, ang naiisip na kailangan ko for my AVR is may 2 pair output for front channel A/B, one for my 5.1 set-up and one for the stereo set-up, of course at least DTS capable and 2 optical in (1 wdtv, 1 standby probably bluray in the future) and 1 coax (from dvd player), di ko naman siguro kailangan ng hdmi capabilities.

my room is about 25-30 sqm.
given those stuff, here are my questions:

1.  what's a good AV Receiver for me
2.  should i upgrade my JBL SCS10? if yes, ano ang ok for HT use?
3.  since maglalagay din ako ng stereo set-up for audio/cd and maybe iPod, ano ok na stereo speakers? dad said Kef, kahit yung low end lang nila. may mabibilhan pa ba ako nun dito?

yun lang, i'll go back to reading. thanks!

p.s. i guess i have to upgrade to something na gumagamit ng banana plugs ngayon at sumali na ako rito. hahahaha. :)
Sherbourn SR-120
SVS M-Series-02 (MTS, MCS, MBS)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1711 on: May 02, 2011 at 11:27 PM »
good day,

i'm new to this forum, and i'm slowly browsing this thread and the other one (http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,6070.660.html). 

anyway, sumali ako dahil nag-iisp na akong mag-upgrade ng HT set-up. 

sa ngayon ito yung set-up ko:
JBL SCS10
US Audio US510
JVC RX552-V
Pioneer DV610AV
XBOX1
iPod Dock and iPod classic 120GB

stock wires ng JBL SCS10.

namana ko lang kasi yung JVC a couple of years back, so napabili ako ng speakers, and then last year yung pioneer dvd player, since nasira yung luma ko. pero recently parang nangangati na ako mag-upgrade.

plans ko (long term plan maybe within 5months)
good audio video receiver na may at least 3 digital in (2 optical, 1 coax)
WDTV (ganito gamit ng brother ko, and mukhang ok naman) (HDMI to lcdtv, optical to av receiver)
new set of speakers (?) kailangan ko na kaya?
additional front speakers for stereo use

sa ngayon, ang naiisip na kailangan ko for my AVR is may 2 pair output for front channel A/B, one for my 5.1 set-up and one for the stereo set-up, of course at least DTS capable and 2 optical in (1 wdtv, 1 standby probably bluray in the future) and 1 coax (from dvd player), di ko naman siguro kailangan ng hdmi capabilities.

my room is about 25-30 sqm.
given those stuff, here are my questions:

1.  what's a good AV Receiver for me
2.  should i upgrade my JBL SCS10? if yes, ano ang ok for HT use?
3.  since maglalagay din ako ng stereo set-up for audio/cd and maybe iPod, ano ok na stereo speakers? dad said Kef, kahit yung low end lang nila. may mabibilhan pa ba ako nun dito?

yun lang, i'll go back to reading. thanks!

p.s. i guess i have to upgrade to something na gumagamit ng banana plugs ngayon at sumali na ako rito. hahahaha. :)

Everything depends on you budget sir, let us know how much is your maximum spending limit so that we can suggest... :)
Walang Setup

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1712 on: May 03, 2011 at 10:17 AM »
Everything depends on you budget sir, let us know how much is your maximum spending limit so that we can suggest... :)

ahhh, tama.

i'm targeting to save about 10k per month, so total after 5 months is 50k. 

Thanks Courage. :)
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1713 on: May 03, 2011 at 10:27 AM »
ahhh, tama.

No problem. Dito sa hobby na to kelangan may patience or else mapapabili ka agad then after a few upgrade ka na naman kasi di pala yun ang gusto mo..
Walang Setup

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1714 on: May 03, 2011 at 11:34 AM »
@Dom_08

Welcome Bro sa PinoyDVD and hope you're enjoying the hobby. Advisable din to try to keep on auditioning and listening to various types of Receiver-speaker combo and from there, you get to know and find out what you're looking for in terms of sound quality and features. Correct din ang input ni Courage on being patient and taking it step by step. In upgrading, you can start muna having 2 front speakers with 2 channel stereo then you can add speakers later for 5.1 or 7.1 channel. Sa mga receivers, all of these brands are very good names like Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer. It's just your personal preference and the kind of features you need that can help you decide. Depende din sa requirements mo if you listen mostly to music or movies.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1715 on: May 03, 2011 at 11:42 AM »
@Dom_08

You should be prioritizing HDMI connections instead of optical and coax though most HDMI capable receivers still have the optical and coax option. Both video and audio (including HD audio) are transmitted by HDMI connection.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1716 on: May 03, 2011 at 11:45 AM »
ahhh, tama.

With 50k can get you a can get a great mid range AV receiver. I think at this price point this is where receiver come to there own.

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1717 on: May 04, 2011 at 12:28 AM »
No problem. Dito sa hobby na to kelangan may patience or else mapapabili ka agad then after a few upgrade ka na naman kasi di pala yun ang gusto mo..

noted. actually parang sa computers din pala no? (although i'm hoping mas mabagal ang upgrade cycle, tama ba? hehehe)

@Dom_08

Welcome Bro sa PinoyDVD and hope you're enjoying the hobby. Advisable din to try to keep on auditioning and listening to various types of Receiver-speaker combo and from there, you get to know and find out what you're looking for in terms of sound quality and features. Correct din ang input ni Courage on being patient and taking it step by step. In upgrading, you can start muna having 2 front speakers with 2 channel stereo then you can add speakers later for 5.1 or 7.1 channel. Sa mga receivers, all of these brands are very good names like Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer. It's just your personal preference and the kind of features you need that can help you decide. Depende din sa requirements mo if you listen mostly to music or movies.

thanks for the welcome sir. :)

as for auditioning I usually go to Mega Mall, Listening Room.  I'm from Antipolo so transpo is an issue (although main reason is i don't know where to go, LOL), so far I liked one of their older models, the Kef K-140, but i bought that for my dad (wish I kept it for myself though).

Last time I visited, they offered me a similar product (forgot the name though), but they said that it's more of a music speaker rather than a HT speaker.  What's the difference (sorry i'm going OT)?  that's where I got the idea of my plan to have a 5.1 speaker system and then a 2 channel 'music' speaker with a matching amp for A/B front speakers.

Given what I have already, is this a good upgrade  path?

1 receiver
2 LR, C (i've read that kahit huli na iupgrade yung surround, ok lang)
3 Surround
4 HD player (probably HDD based first, then eventually BluRay or equivalent) (currently, my collection is still DVD and starting to build a collection on HD Videos, hopefully i could shift to BluRay soon).

@Dom_08

You should be prioritizing HDMI connections instead of optical and coax though most HDMI capable receivers still have the optical and coax option. Both video and audio (including HD audio) are transmitted by HDMI connection.
noted! actually, for some strange reason i had the impression that HDMI carries analog signal, until i've read about DTS HD Master other audio formats via HDMI. thanks! :)

i was thinking that i might save some money on older (non-HDMI) receivers whilst having digital audio via optical cable. but then the newer formats are HDMI only.

With 50k can get you a can get a great mid range AV receiver. I think at this price point this is where receiver come to there own.
whole 50k for the AV Receiver?
i think i should save up for some more. hahahaha.

mukhang masama to ah, parang willing ako magspend ng mas marami sa 50k. HAHAHAH

also

found these on the net as for my initial searching for receivers:
Pioneer VSX 820 http://pioneer.ph/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1052&CatId=64,9,17
Yamaha RX-V 471 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/?mode=model#tag1709

on paper (at least the ones that i understand) they look ok are these good for someone who is upgrading or looking for something that will hopefully last maybe 5 years (at least in the sense that i won't feel the need to upgrade soon). 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011 at 12:36 AM by dom_08 »
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1718 on: May 05, 2011 at 07:40 AM »
Last time I visited, they offered me a similar product (forgot the name though), but they said that it's more of a music speaker rather than a HT speaker.  What's the difference (sorry i'm going OT)?  that's where I got the idea of my plan to have a 5.1 speaker system and then a 2 channel 'music' speaker with a matching amp for A/B front speakers.

For speakers, try to get the ones that are good for both movies/music and when you audition them, play both movies and music sounds. Note that American brand speakers ( Polk Audio, JBL, Infinity ) are very "forward" sounding while European speakers ( Wharfedale, Jamo, B&W ) are "Laidback" sounding.

Given what I have already, is this a good upgrade  path?

1 receiver
2 LR, C (i've read that kahit huli na iupgrade yung surround, ok lang)
3 Surround
4 HD player (probably HDD based first, then eventually BluRay or equivalent) (currently, my collection is still DVD and starting to build a collection on HD Videos, hopefully i could shift to BluRay soon).
noted! actually, for some strange reason i had the impression that HDMI carries analog signal, until i've read about DTS HD Master other audio formats via HDMI. thanks! :)

Ok naman upgrade path mo. Take note the front speakers and center need to be of the same brands and they form the important part of your system so choose the sound that you're happy with. 

also

found these on the net as for my initial searching for receivers:
Pioneer VSX 820 http://pioneer.ph/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1052&CatId=64,9,17
Yamaha RX-V 471 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/?mode=model#tag1709

on paper (at least the ones that i understand) they look ok are these good for someone who is upgrading or looking for something that will hopefully last maybe 5 years (at least in the sense that i won't feel the need to upgrade soon). 

Yung Yamaha RX471 I think it's not available here locally, they only have the RX467 which is already 3D ready. Minsan the models listed in sites may or may not be available here depende sa local distributor. Maganda yan practice mo that you research and keep on checking the internet for more infos.

Audio Hobbyist

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1719 on: May 06, 2011 at 12:08 AM »
Thanks @cosmic79

Ill try to look for more speakers and receivers for audition.  I have a feeling that ill be increasing my budget and time to complete my project. Hahahaha. my first goal is to have digital connections from my player to receiver to the tv; optical, coaxial or hdmi. 

Ganun ba kalaki advantage ng HDMI, sound quality wise?
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1720 on: May 06, 2011 at 12:11 AM »
Thanks @cosmic79

Ill try to look for more speakers and receivers for audition.  I have a feeling that ill be increasing my budget and time to complete my project. Hahahaha. my first goal is to have digital connections from my player to receiver to the tv; optical, coaxial or hdmi. 

Ganun ba kalaki advantage ng HDMI, sound quality wise?

Hi Sir Dom_08, oo ang advantage ng HDMI ay clearer picture and better sound. Sa picture, even yung mga pimples sa face kitang kita, very detailed.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline plapoy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1721 on: May 06, 2011 at 01:18 AM »
@Sir Dom,

Welcome po sa hobby na magastos.. ;D By the way you can also check SnS at Shangrila and 5th Ave there. They also carry different brand of speakers. Feel free to audition different brands then select which better according to your listening preferences.

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1722 on: May 06, 2011 at 06:29 PM »
mga brader quick question pag ang speakers are rated 100w ilang watts ang recommended rating ng amp?

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1723 on: May 06, 2011 at 06:36 PM »
mga brader quick question pag ang speakers are rated 100w ilang watts ang recommended rating ng amp?

Ang pagka alam ko ang amp rating should be lower than the maximum speaker rating. Pag mas higher ang amp rating, ma-stress out ang speakers. I read this in a website dati but I could not recall the URL.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1724 on: May 06, 2011 at 06:56 PM »
does it mean na using a power amp is overkill for the speaker?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 07:56 AM by wildfire »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1725 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:06 PM »
those it mean na using a power amp is overkill for the speaker?

It will depend on the speaker, room size, etc.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1726 on: May 07, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
so using a 75w per ch amp on a 100w rated speaker is ok?
but using 200w power amp on a 100w rated speaker is overkill?

higher wattage amp good for the speaker or it will shorten its life?

pasensya na i think i still dont get it

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #1727 on: May 07, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
so using a 75w per ch amp on a 100w rated speaker is ok?
but using 200w power amp on a 100w rated speaker is overkill?

higher wattage amp good for the speaker or it will shorten its life?

pasensya na i think i still dont get it

Either setup will work fine, as long as you don't exceed the limits of the amp or the speaker.

It will depend on the speaker, room size, etc.

I agree 100%. :)

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1728 on: May 07, 2011 at 01:46 PM »
Just sharing this link about amp and speaker wattage:
http://www.satcure-focus.com/icetech/page2.htm
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #1729 on: May 08, 2011 at 05:36 AM »
Just sharing this link about amp and speaker wattage:
http://www.satcure-focus.com/icetech/page2.htm

Many may not agree with a lot of information in this site (myself included), especially regarding the wattage and efficiency portion and the output impedance post.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1730 on: May 08, 2011 at 06:09 AM »
Yamaha:
RXV467 P21K
RXV567 P26K

Pioneer:
VSX520K P14500.
VSX820K P21600.
VSX920K P27K

Onkyo:
TXSR308 P17500.
TXNR509 P24K

anu po kya maganda dyan? ang plan ko po kc bibili muna aq ng L/R front speaker anu po masusugest nyo?

Bro what shop are these available?

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1731 on: May 20, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
Updated pricing.
Infinity Primus

Primus 152 - 9.5k (4 pairs left)
Primus 162 - 12.5k (3 pairs left)
Primus 252 - 18.5k (1 pair left)
Pc250 - 8k (4 pcs left)
Ps210 sub - 17.5k (3 units left)

Monitor Audio

BRONZE BX SERIES
BX1 - 11.2K
BX2 - 14.8K
BX5 - 29.5K
BX6 - 39.5K
BX Centre - 9.5k
BXFX - 15K
BXW10 - 25K

SILVER RX SERIES
RX1 - 25.5K
RX2 - 31.5K
RX6 - 47.5K
RX8 - 63.5K
RX CENTER - 19K
RXFX - 31K
RXW12 - 48K

KLIPSCH REFERENCE

RB10 - 10.5K
RB51 - 12.5K
RB61 - 16K
RC10 - 7.5K
RC52 - 11K
RC62 - 15K
RF10 - 19.5K
RF52 - 26K
RF62 - 30K
RF63 - 70K

JBL VENUE
voice
stage
balcony
sub 12
package price of 64k

JBL NORTHRIDGE
es10
es25c
es80
es250p
package price of 87k

send me a pm if you're interested to audition. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 at 05:37 PM by avshop »

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1732 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 09:56 PM »
finally may update na yung set-up ko. hahahah

I got what I originally planned, a good receiver with option for a 2nd set of fronts and digital inputs

here's my current set-up:
HK AVR 635
JBL SCS10 Satellites
Celestion 9 (2nd pair of fronts, used with iPod w/dock or CD player)
Pioneer DV-610AV

and as a temporary main fronts: JBL Control One

from time to time I borrow the WDTV in the other room.

i do howerver want to get the following:
my own media player (something that can play hd movies, flacs/raw with multichannel support and 192khz/24bit support for audio-only files) (or maybe a low-power HTPC with a good sound card?)
a dedicated CD player
maybe a dedicated integrated/T-amp/tube amplifier for my Celestions.

but i think my priority will be upgrading my speakers.  The Control One seems to compliment my Celestions for audio use, but I think I want something that has more range, I find Control1 flat so it will go to my editing rig once I get a new set of fronts.

I also bought a B&W center speaker for my dad (DM600 IFS) which I think is a good starting point to look for my own system.  The thing with the B&W is that it has good presence voice is really clear, not as clear as the Celestion though.

Do you guys have any suggestions for my fronts and center? I've tried Wharfedale and parang kulang eh.  Should I just go B&W *gulp* all the way (ouch. hahaha. gastos nun).
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1733 on: Jun 21, 2011 at 09:22 AM »
It would highly depend on how much are you willing to spend. If you have the means, then go for B&W.  ;) Just make sure your amp is capable of driving the speakers or you'll end up buying either a new AVR or a pair of power amps and a mono amp to drive your center and fronts.

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1734 on: Jun 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM »
@Dom_08

Best to bring your AVReceiver during the audition sa store para sure ka sa sound compatibility. Yung Fronts and center speakers are the most important part so you need to choose and decide carefully. Try to also audition Infinity or Monitor Audio if you're on a tight budget.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1735 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 04:44 PM »
It would highly depend on how much are you willing to spend. If you have the means, then go for B&W.  ;) Just make sure your amp is capable of driving the speakers or you'll end up buying either a new AVR or a pair of power amps and a mono amp to drive your center and fronts.

that's true. i re-read my Harman Kardon can only deliver 75W per channel on full 7.1 set-up.  That's about half of the rating of the speaker i'm aiming for fronts (684, 150W).  anyway, the plan is (well, was my plan) that I get CM62 and 686 first for my fronts, and then get a 684 eventually.  Testing testing I guess.

I just wanted B&W because it I like how it sounds on my dad's system. although i'd still go around and test some more as @cosmic79, the word "tight budget" is the keyword. HAHAHAHA

But i'm willing to wait some more so i can save and get the ideal speakers.
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1736 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 04:47 PM »

But i'm willing to wait some more so i can save and get the ideal speakers.

And ideal AV/R perhaps?  ;D

Offline dom_08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1737 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 05:09 PM »
And ideal AV/R perhaps?  ;D

that also. HAHAHAH! but i think I can hold on to this old and heavy receiver longer than my current speakers. hahahaha
Sherbourn SR-120

Offline Cosmic79

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1738 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 06:04 PM »
that also. HAHAHAH! but i think I can hold on to this old and heavy receiver longer than my current speakers. hahahaha

Before I had to carry and hold on to my Harman Kardon a block away and napasma ang kamay ko sa super bigat. But it's true speakers are heavier ( pati sa budget )  ;D
Audio Hobbyist

Offline spidey

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1739 on: Sep 07, 2011 at 08:58 AM »
Hi mga sirs, nagsawa na kasi ako sa TV speakers for watching my blu-ray collection & pati yung mga 1080p movies sa NMT ko.  I've decided to get an Onkyo TX-NR609 for my receiver and still undecided sa mga speakers for my small room (3m x 3m), kaya gusto ko sana ay maliit lang either wall mounted or bookshelf.  I'm eyeing for the Polk Audio TL series (TL2 or TL3 - has anyone tried this) pero still looking for other options.  Any suggestions po ay highly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.