Author Topic: harman/kardon avr  (Read 366601 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: harman/kardon avr
« Reply #3240 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:06 PM »
sayang kc yun offer 2nd hand bw 603.. 2 months lang daw kc nagupgrade ng jm focal. is it safe to buy 2nd hand speaker? what do i check with this to confirm that it is in good shape? btw, who is SGT and what is BS, IMO? sowee a newbie hir and to this hobby!

Almost all my speakers are 2nd hand. I prefer them that way cuz its cheaper and break in na (I hate the long wait for breaking in).

SGT-Sonny Tuazon of SGT Home Theater, a frank, no (BS) b*lls**t guy who won't BS (bola) you into buying stuff just so that he could get a quick buck from you. Quality service pa.

IMO, In my opinion
IME, in my experience: its very important to look for this when you are looking for advice. mas walang BS to ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:35 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3241 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
thanks agen MAtZTER! can i see your setup..?  ;D

just talk to the dealer of bw speakers.. sabi nya hk and bw will sound bright daw! and he offer me the onkyo 703 for the 603 para mas match daw and the wattage would be sufficient. im now considering to sell my hk for the onkyo.. just use this for 2 weeks hindi p araw araw! sayang!

please comment on harman being bright with bw speaker.. thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:16 PM by alx »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3242 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:18 PM »
thanks agen MAtZTER! can i see your setup..?

just talk to the supplier of bw speakers.. sabi nya hk and bw will sound bright daw! and he offer me the onkyo 703 for the 603 para mas match daw and the wattage would be sufficient. im now considering to sell my hk for the onkyo.. just use this for 2 weeks hindi p araw araw! sayang!

please comment on harman being bright with bw speaker.. thanks!

Sure, go to the HT gallery or click here:)

LOL, I know which dealer you are talking about. That dealer would bad mouth horribly every single product that he is not selling himself and give never ending heavenly praise to all the products he is selling. 

B&W and Onkyo are from the same distributor here, thats why they recomend the 2 together. So obviously there is a bias in their recommendation. But according to Ricky who has an Onkyo, Onkyo's are very musical, but dont tend to excel in HT.

Thats why I love talking to SGT and getting his recommendations, WALANG BIAS. thats what I mean by NO BS.

My no BS advice is retain the HK340, retain it and use the B&W's with it , if you arent content after some time, go for the power amps. there are also lots of cheap 2nd hand amps when the buy & sell section opens again, but Rotels are recommended.

HK's bright? HK's are known to be warm, specially with the 330-340 & up models which use a different amp than the brighter sounding  230-240's. IME, HK's pre outs are ok with external amps (not bright).

alx...be careful getting "BS"ed.... ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 at 06:27 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline alx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3243 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:27 PM »
well actully ur ryt! ganun nga sya mag comment on other products that they dont sell. pata paradigm bulok daw..

anyway, il be bringing my hk tom sa west ave. to audition the bw speaker and see if it is really bright.. abt the rotel power amp, it is way off my budget. too much for now.. maybe in the future. so hard to decide on this setup!!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3244 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:38 PM »
well actully ur ryt! ganun nga sya mag comment on other products that they dont sell. pata paradigm bulok daw..

anyway, il be bringing my hk tom sa west ave. to audition the bw speaker and see if it is really bright.. abt the rotel power amp, it is way off my budget. too much for now.. maybe in the future. so hard to decide on this setup!!

LOL, but he is very convincing, ano?? hehe

Good luck bro! Hope you get the best match  :)

And dont set your mind on only one speaker, there are lots of good ones out there  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 at 05:41 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #3245 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 08:24 PM »
alx if i may b*tt in, onkyo and harman almost have the same sound characteristic esp on the audio side ;) but on the video side i prefer the hk more than the onkyo ;D plus harman has a decent resale value than the onkyo ;D Since you already have the harman I too suggest that you hold on to it, and its good to bring it tom for an A/B comparison vs the ONKYO then you'll hear what matt and i are saying :)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3246 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 08:33 PM »
matt sino AV shop na yun hehe....never heard na bright HK and B&W....but instead...warm nga sila.  I agree too that SGT is a NO BS kind of guy.  When my wife accompanied me when i visited SGT, he even explained the hobby to my wife.....how this hobby will make me stay home..... ;D ;D

Offline alx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3247 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 06:49 AM »
this is the judgement day!!! ;D

should i bring my old bose 301 speaker for a a/b comparison with the bw speakers? or it is way beyond comparison?? ???

wat other speakers do you recommend? is paradigm monitor 7 good..? kaya 603 ang gus2 ko kc may 2nd hand 4 sale and i plan to move to a bigger haus.. if no 2nd hand den i should be satisfied with 602 kc i hav a small room abt 15 sqm.

what is imho? and sars...?  ??? :-\

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3248 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 07:11 AM »

what is imho? and sars...?  ??? :-\
IMHO=  in my honest opinion, SARS aka upgradititis....sakit sa urge bumili o mag upgrade ng gears

Offline knefut

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • zzz....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3249 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 09:32 AM »
Sure, go to the HT gallery or click here:)

LOL, I know which dealer you are talking about. That dealer would bad mouth horribly every single product that he is not selling himself and give never ending heavenly praise to all the products he is selling. 

B&W and Onkyo are from the same distributor here, thats why they recomend the 2 together. So obviously there is a bias in their recommendation. But according to Ricky who has an Onkyo, Onkyo's are very musical, but dont tend to excel in HT.

Thats why I love talking to SGT and getting his recommendations, WALANG BIAS. thats what I mean by NO BS.

My no BS advice is retain the HK340, retain it and use the B&W's with it , if you arent content after some time, go for the power amps. there are also lots of cheap 2nd hand amps when the buy & sell section opens again, but Rotels are recommended.

HK's bright? HK's are known to be warm, specially with the 330-340 & up models which use a different amp than the brighter sounding  230-240's.IME, HK's pre outs are ok with external amps (not bright).

alx...be careful getting "BS"ed.... ;D

IME, di bright ang 235 with my floorstanders. Even Archi Audio uses the lowly entry level 130 when you audition their gears. and i didnt even find the 130 bright with their dali FS.

Offline czedryk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #3250 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 09:35 AM »
to be exact SARS means Severe Audio Replacement Syndrome  ;D

Offline boink boink

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3251 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 09:58 AM »
meron din akong nabasa dito na and SARS also means Speakers And Receivers Syndrome ??? ???. Basta sa takot ako sa SARS.  :-[ :-[  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3252 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
IME, di bright ang 235 with my floorstanders. Even Archi Audio uses the lowly entry level 130 when you audition their gears. and i didnt even find the 130 bright with their dali FS.

I mean its brighter than the upper series but not necessarily bright sya. Mas warm yung 330-630. I have experienced this at the JBL showroom in Megamall with the same speakers, HK630 one day, and HK235 on another day (di ko alam na 235 nakakabit), the brightness was the first thing I noticed. Pero kanya kanya din yan sir, iba iba tenga natin.  :)

meron din akong nabasa dito na and SARS also means Speakers And Receivers Syndrome ??? ???. Basta sa takot ako sa SARS.  :-[ :-[  ;D

Czed! kamusta na pre. Gusto sana kita gawing example kay ALX.

Bro, alx. Czedryk uses a very powerful HK630 to drive B&W 600's bookshelf speakers. Sa lakas ng HK630, sure na kakanta yung 600's.  :)

Also, Our mod Levi uses HK330 to power B&W 601's
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2006 at 12:02 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline knefut

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • zzz....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3253 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
I mean its brighter than the upper series but not necessarily bright sya. Mas warm yung 330-630. I have experienced this at the JBL showroom in Megamall with the same speakers, HK630 one day, and HK235 on another day (di ko alam na 235 nakakabit), the brightness was the first thing I noticed. Pero kanya kanya din yan sir, iba iba tenga natin.  :)

Bro, alx. Czedryk uses a very powerful HK630 to drive B&W 600's bookshelf speakers. Sa lakas ng HK630, sure na kakanta yung 600's.  :)

Also, Our mod Levi uses HK330 to power B&W 601's

.... and, maybe foremost, iba iba budget natin.... he he he

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3254 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 04:33 PM »
.... and, maybe foremost, iba iba budget natin.... he he he

Yep, thats correct. I just wanted to share what I heard, experienced and learned, nothing more.  :)

Thats the essence of having a forum.. helping each other through the sharing of knowledge and experience. :D

Offline alx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3255 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 08:40 PM »
hi, just demoed the BW speakers wid my new HK 340 tdy.. 1st we setup the 603 playing 2 channel stereo. the sound was good but it lacks the sound stage or should i say sound imaging.. wherein the vocals goes in between the 2 fronts.. like the center doing the sound.. why is this so?

then we tried movies in 5.1 setup. i can say that im satisfied with the output. 'cause i dont know how to judge the best sound for HT..

2nd we tried the 602 in stereo. the sound staging was good compared to the 603.. i dont know why.. ??? but when i played micheal jackson's "shes out of my life," it turns out that the sound was a little bright.

so we put back the old setup which is the onkyo integra with 603 hooked up. and agen played the mj song and the sound was not bright anymore. since we dont have the time we werent able to put back the 602.

does the 602 really has brighter sound than the 603?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3256 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 05:50 PM »
Pls dont use ALL CAPS when posting and no posting of ads in this section. Pls wait for Buy and sell section when it reopens.

Offline czedryk

• Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #3257 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 04:56 PM »

Hi sir Mat  :)

Oks naman ako, medyo over-worked lng (matindi pangangailangan e... ;D)

Yup, super-satisfied ako with my HK630/B&W601 combo... Even at high volumes mganda p din sound quality... 8)

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3258 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 07:27 AM »
Hi sirs!

Just a question.. I have listened to HK demos and all but I would need opinion on which speakers does it match well.

Can you give me  comparisons of speaker brands (floorstanders)  that match well with the Harman Kardon 330 series given that I listen to stereo music and HT movies.

OT Question,

For a 10sq m room is it ok if I get a floorstander?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3259 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 09:58 AM »
Hi sirs!

Just a question.. I have listened to HK demos and all but I would need opinion on which speakers does it match well.

Can you give me  comparisons of speaker brands (floorstanders)  that match well with the Harman Kardon 330 series given that I listen to stereo music and HT movies.

OT Question,

For a 10sq m room is it ok if I get a floorstander?

Bookshelf  or single woofer floorstander is Ok for a 10sqm room. 2 woofer floorstanders might be boomy in such a small room.

HK's warm sound match well with almost all known HiFi speakers...Monitors, Missions, JBL's, Wharfes...even B&W bookshelf speakers (601 or 600).

Offline alx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3260 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 02:27 PM »
nagpademo ako ng mga speakers with my eyes closed.. widawt knowing what speaker it is iv noticed that the tweeter of b&w 602 is bright, mdyo masakit sa tenga.. while paradigm monitor 5 is more clarity than the bw. nagtest din kame ng studio 20 and i choose this 1 over the 2.. still hav to demo it agen to my amp kc denon integrated ang ginamit namin..

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3261 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
Good morning guys, kelangan ko ng clarification regarding sa mga digital path receiver nagugulihan ako eh. Yung mga DPR ba actually ay AVR din? ang difference lang daw ay yung DPR iba ang loop sa AVR, wala na daw digital to analog conversion ang mga DPR digital to digital na kaagad hindi tulad ng mg AVR na yung digital signal gagawin pa analog. Kung ganon bakit may mga analog input ang mga DPR ibig sabihin ba nito analog gagawin nya digital tapos analog ulit? At hindi ba yung mga optic cable digital to digital na rin ito, wala na conversion na nangyayari?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006 at 11:57 AM by scofield »
Proud user of AVR135

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3262 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 10:58 AM »
I believe the DPR uses switching amps (Class D) as opposed to the conventional linear amps used by traditional receivers.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006 at 11:09 AM by bumblebee »

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3263 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
ano naman yung switching amp and linear amp?
Proud user of AVR135

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3264 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
Switching amps are more efficient than linear amps and are supposedly cheaper to implement (these are all that I can understand about them).
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006 at 02:47 PM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3265 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 04:41 PM »
Good morning guys, kelangan ko ng clarification regarding sa mga digital path receiver nagugulihan ako eh. Yung mga DPR ba actually ay AVR din? ang difference lang daw ay yung DPR iba ang loop sa AVR, wala na daw digital to analog conversion ang mga DPR digital to digital na kaagad hindi tulad ng mg AVR na yung digital signal gagawin pa analog. Kung ganon bakit may mga analog input ang mga DPR ibig sabihin ba nito analog gagawin nya digital tapos analog ulit? At hindi ba yung mga optic cable digital to digital na rin ito, wala na conversion na nangyayari?

Thanks

Here's a thorough explanation of class D or switching  amps and its operations that I just glossed over.  If you have more youthful patience understanding it, read it through.  ;D

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm.htm
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006 at 04:48 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3266 on: Sep 21, 2006 at 07:14 AM »
Bookshelf  or single woofer floorstander is Ok for a 10sqm room. 2 woofer floorstanders might be boomy in such a small room.

HK's warm sound match well with almost all known HiFi speakers...Monitors, Missions, JBL's, Wharfes...even B&W bookshelf speakers (601 or 600).

Do you have brands (as well as Model Numbers)  for Bookshelf or Single woofer floorstanders?

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3267 on: Sep 21, 2006 at 09:18 AM »

Here's a thorough explanation of class D or switching amps and its operations that I just glossed over.  If you have more youthful patience understanding it, read it through.  ;D

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm.htm

salamat sir :)
Proud user of AVR135

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3268 on: Sep 21, 2006 at 04:47 PM »
Do you have brands (as well as Model Numbers)  for Bookshelf or Single woofer floorstanders?

An idea struck me... since your budget is for floorstanders (FS) - Why not get the mid level bookshelf (BS) speakers of the same brand? They sound a lot better (very refined) than their entry level counterparts...and almost the same price as the entry level FS.

Example:
Monitor Audio B4 (ent FS) ---> Monitor Audio RS1 (mid BS)
Mission M34 (ent FS) ---> Mission M51 (Mid BS)
B&W 3something ---> B&W 601's
etc etc...

Offline alx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3269 on: Sep 25, 2006 at 05:54 PM »
Hi sir Mat  :)

Oks naman ako, medyo over-worked lng (matindi pangangailangan e... ;D)

Yup, super-satisfied ako with my HK630/B&W601 combo... Even at high volumes mganda p din sound quality... 8)

just wondering y didnt you go for bw 602? m planning to buy 602 for my hk 340..