Author Topic: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!  (Read 21280 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« Reply #90 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
That 18-month thing was just a rumor.  Part of the alleged $150M deal. 
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
Its all about the benjamins  ::) One advantage of cheaper manufacturing (in this case hd dvd) is this gives leverage if a price war ensues.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 12:14 PM »
Its all about the benjamins  ::) One advantage of cheaper manufacturing (in this case hd dvd) is this gives leverage if a price war ensues.
and leverage for better earnings for them too.... but less savings for us.. :-\

That 18-month thing was just a rumor.  Part of the alleged $150M deal. 
Yeah...part of the big propaganda machine I guess....
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 12:15 PM by Munskie »

Offline krazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 03:43 PM »
And the "rumor" has now appeared in the New York Times too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

to quote:
"But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but who asked not to be identified."

The plot thickens... ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 05:52 PM »
Holding my breath with high hopes with this upcoming news...

Originally Posted by beatboy77 
Guys I am around 24 to 48 hours away from being able to report a MAJOR Blu-ray announcement. I have learned today from a BDA insider that this Paramount development was actually a pre-emptive strike to counter a soon to be made MAJOR annoucement from the BDA.

Assuming everything falls in place as this insider expects, it will be the biggest shot fired thus far in this format war. If this contract can be secured by the BDA this will be the end of this format war, no doubt.

As soon as I get the OK, I will post here in the Blu-ray section. If this happens it gives me new hope that HDM will survive.

~Josh

Possible scenarios...

Universal announcing neutrality
Warner going BR exclusive (and thus, New Line as well)
President Bush supports Blu-ray
Toshiba sells Consumer Line to Sony

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :P :P :P :P :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 06:22 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 06:11 PM »
wow...this week will be an exciting one if that one holds true

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:25 PM »
Interesting. But what's HDM?  And what does he mean by "HDM will survive?"  And is that the same beatboy77 from avsforum?  TIA

Frankly, if some major announcement is supposed to end the format war, I wonder how a mere pre-emptive strike can neutralize it.  I am sure if paramount has gotten wind of such an announcement, why would they make such a move only to end up in the losing camp later?  Weird.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:42 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:38 PM »
Interesting. But what's HDM?  And what does he mean by "HDM will survive?"  And is that the same beatboy77 from avsforum?  TIA.
I think HDM is "highdef media"........and I think yes, thats from that guy......a guy who also said the statement below...

Straight from BeatBoy77-

"I will make a unique prediction now and that is that "Transformers" will end this format war once and for all. Following on the heals of "300's" dual-release success and how it appears Blu-ray is dominating the sales of "300", I feel this domination will be amplified for "Transformers" perhaps to the tune of 80/20 or 75/25 in favor of Blu-ray. Paramount will release a PR statement similar to WB's saying Transformers is the first movie to sell 500k in HD Optical in a week of which 375k+ were on Blu-ray. This will make the "decision-makers" at GE see the lost revenue of not releasing on the dominant format and thus pushing them to go dual-format in early 2008 when their rumored contract to release exclusively on HD-DVD through 2007 has expired."
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:39 PM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:26 PM »
I think he's the amateur reporter who's made a habit of posting predictions and insider rumors.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
« Reply #99 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:27 PM »
Maybe the announcement will be Fox will release 500 movies by the end of the year.. ;D
or Sony will release a dual format player.. :P

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:48 PM »
Originally Posted by beatboy77 
Yes, the Paramount announcement was nice for HD-DVD, however it just awoke the sleeping giant of Fox. I mean Blu-ray has gathered a 65/35 or 70/30 lead throughout this year with basically Fox and WB not on their side. Now with Fox and WB back, I think we will continue to see Blu-ray software sales increase their lead week over week. I think by the end of the 4th Qtr Blu-ray will have won 80:20. I just do not see as much impact from the Paramount announcement as some others do.

Eitherway, if the BDA can finalize this contract that I am privy too, the Paramount announcment will be nothing more then a moot point anyway. And if they do not finalize it, it will just drag this format war on for several additional months, with still Blu-ray winning in the end anyway IMO.

~Josh

http://www.hidefpreview.com/About_Us.html

Here at Hi-Def Preview we have been reviewing HD and DVD discs for several years now in conjunction with our sister company Apex Home Theater. Currently on staff we have four HD reviewers.

Joshua Noyes - Owner

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:00 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:14 PM »
Maybe the announcement will be Fox will release 500 movies by the end of the year.. ;D
or Sony will release a dual format player.. :P

I don't think that will end the format war.  The only announcement I could think of that will end the war is for Warner/New Line and Universal to go BD exclusive. That's it for HD DVD. But if that was the anticipated contract deal the BDA is working on that Paramount got wind of, why would they want to pre-empt it?  Going to the other side won't.   Because as large as Paramount and Dreamworks are, they are nothing compared to Warner and Universal and their going to the other side won't matter at all should Warner and Universal go BD exclusive.  If Warner and Universal jumps ship, Paramount preempting by doing the reverse is like jumping into a sinking ship.    ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894516

Very interesting topic, got the attention of everyone even the HalfDead DVD fanboys into speculating what this BDA deal is, or even if its real...staying tuned.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #103 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:37 PM »
exciting times indeed. just when i was surfing the net for PS3 deals! it's a good thing i have yet to buy my ahem..plasma or lcd. maybe by the time i can afford to buuy anything else again (after said purchase), the dust will have settled.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
Well lets just wait and see, its his credibility that will be affected if his "big news" does not pan out.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:08 AM »
Well lets just wait and see, its his credibility that will be affected if his "big news" does not pan out.
there's a new thread that just popped out there at AVS...

Is Beatboy conceding?

Quote from: Poolrad;11389004
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=895158

Never thought I would see the day in which he even acknowledged HD-DVD could win, he's also hinting at some insider HD-DVD news. What's your take on this turn of events?

beatboy #14

beatboy #21

The current rumor is that MS is paying Warner to be HD DVD exclusive for $225M.  And if you read the posts there....the rumor came from beatboy himself.  Oh well.......whats yer take about the rumors and beatboy?

I think the big news about BD counterpunch is nearing its 48 hour deadline.....and if the WB rumors is true, can that end the war???

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:16 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #106 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:11 AM »
To the whiners,

Since Fox/MGM have already announced their impressive Qtr 4 schedule release, thus all BD fanboys should be more than happy. So there's no need for whining & teeth gnashing dba...  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #107 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
Paramount CTO Speaks Out On Switch to HD DVD

In a new interview, Paramount's chief technology officer offers up the most detailed explanation yet of the studio's technical rationale for switching to HD DVD.

With reports swirling that Paramount and sister studio DreamWorks received up to $150 million dollars in incentives to drop Blu-ray, Alan Bell, executive vice president and CTO for Paramount Pictures says there's more to his company's decision to dump Blu-ray than simply business dealings.

In an interview in PC World Magazine, Bell said that after publishing titles on both formats, Paramount had found HD DVD to have more stable tech specs and leaner programming code than its high-def rival, advantages that the executive attributes directly to the format's outgrowth out of the DVD Forum.

"[HD DVD] was launched in a very stable way, with stable specifications, and they had specified a reference player model, so all players had to be compatible with the HDi interactivity layer, and all players had to be capable of the interactivity," explained Bell. "That speaks to the DVD Forum, that it published specs that were complete and market-ready, and that it didn't need to publish up [and change the specs], as Blu-ray has. To some degree, [such changes are] going to create some legacy issues."

Of Blu-ray's greater storage capacity than HD DVD, the executive called it "a little bit overrated," saying that most titles don't require a capcity more than 30GB, and in cases where they do, Paramount would issue a second disc for bonus features.

"Making a choice like the one Paramount has made is a multifaceted choice," said Bell. "It depends upon manufacturability, the reliability of players, the cost, the infrastructure that's developed to support our creation of titles. Many different factors came into play--including capacity. When Paramount made this decision, we considered the broad spectrum."

Source

Well said!!  :D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:20 AM »

he has an escape clause. first he hides behind the clearance from his source to divulge the deal, and leaves open the possibility the deal won't push through in which case he simply states that the format will just be prolonged.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:22 AM »
Since Fox/MGM have already announced their impressive Qtr 4 schedule release, thus all BD fanboys should be more than happy. So there's no need for whining & teeth gnashing dba...  ;D

True, but I think they realize and can't accept that between the two, they are the first format that lost a studio right in the thick of battle.  Two actually.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:25 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:31 AM »
he has an escape clause. first he hides behind the clearance from his source to divulge the deal, and leaves open the possibility the deal won't push through in which case he simply states that the format will just be prolonged.
beatboy is getting the bashing right now at bluray.com........and from BD fanboys at that

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=14461&highlight=beatboy

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:35 AM »
My question for the new blu-ray movies to be released is if all the interactive features will work on all blu-ray players.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
Most of you guys crack me up  Although the personal attacks from several does get old.

Anyway I have tried my best not to build this annoucement to "monumental" levels as a recent post suggests. The news I am sitting on is very positive news for Blu-ray, however it is NOT finalized and until it is I will not post any of this development.

I should have an update on the situation this afternoon. I hope to be able to report something within a day or two. If the deal does not close, I will of course not report it.

I have posted details about other "on-going/being negotiated" deals in the past and some of those deals did not pan out. I will not make that type of mistake again. I admit, sometimes I let my excitement in these dealings get the best of me.

~Josh

And the mods have had enough of it... :-\

So many off-topic posts and attacks, I can't tell what the topic was. However, I can tell you what it is: Closed.
:P :P :P

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:40 AM »
My question for the new blu-ray movies to be released is if all the interactive features will work on all blu-ray players.
in my knowledge, the first gen BD players are not bd-java compliant.  Im not even sure if my PS3 can also play all the new interactive features......I maybe wrong though.

But this issue is one of the highlights in the interview with the Paramount CTO...and that is unstable specs for Blu-ray hardware and software.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:41 AM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:46 AM »

A big NO.  BDJ 1.1 PiP interactive features won't play on any current standalone BD machines.  And it remains to be seen if a firmware upgrade will allow the PS3 to do so due to its powerful multiple cell engine.  PiP requires two independent video processors to stream separate video data in the player. Curent standalone BD players only have one.  OTH, ALL HD DVD players have them from day 1 in support of HDi - the HD DVD counterpart for BDJ.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:50 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:48 AM »
re: beatboy77, he still has a couple of hours left (or is it a day?) to redeem himself. Who knows? maybe he is telling the truth?  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:51 AM »
If  he can't produce it, beatboy77 only has to say that the deal didn't push through and he's off the hook.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:53 AM »
there's a new thread that just popped out there at AVS...

Is Beatboy conceding?

WOW, an entire thread devoted to me

As some of you long-time members here know, I started as a dedicated HD-DVD supporter. I was one of the first on the board to get the HD-A1 (Got it a few days before release). I was and am very happy with the quality of HD-DVD as it is superior to DVD. I then began buying discs and quite frankly was shocked at how poor catalog sales were. This scared me as my ultimate goal is for HDM to survive. The idea of HD downloads makes me cringe and makes my stomach turn.

Then Blu-ray came and immeadiately took control of the sales. I bought a cople of PS3's and was blown-away at how well it works as a Blu-ray player, lets face it guys, the PS3 is the cream of the crop in-terms of HD playback.

I then began to analyze the situation and I came to the conclusion that in order for HDM to survive, we needed one unified format to battle the true giant, DVD. To me, Blu-ray was and still is the means to that goal.

I will go on record as saying this; I absolutely DO NOT CARE who wins this format war, as long as the war is over SOON. I just want HDM around for atleast 8 to 10 more years.

This Paramount decision I fear has served its purpose perfectly, it will do nothing but prolong this war even further. Beleive me, Microsoft and Apple are both smiling from ear to ear.

For anyone who thinks Microsoft has HD-DVD's best interests in mind, I challenge you to measure their loyalty to the format once HD download takes off. I know without a doubt Microsoft will drop HD-DVD support quickly when this happens. I mean has Microsoft ever done the right thing?

So what does the future hold now? I personally (as of 6:30 p.m. MST) think WB will not go exclusive any time soon. They will lose TotalHD and it may give HD-DVD the boost it needs to surpass Blu-ray in software sales. Does Microsoft want either side to dominate? Absolutely Not. Microsoft wants as much parity for as long as possible.

The big Blu-ray news? It is on hold awaiting WB's decision on studio support. Basically if WB's stays neutral, the development should be announced soon, if WB goes exclusive, the development is most likely dead. Only time will tell at this point.

Listen guys, I respect all (well most) of you and I in a weird way consider all of you my brothers, "Brothers In HD" if you will  I think it is time to stop all of the personall attacks from each side because we are all really not that different at all. We just prefer a different flavor of wine, yet we are all wine lovers. As long as this war can wrap up soon it is better for all of us.

Now off to research more 52" LCD's. Any suggestions?

~Josh
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:55 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:52 AM »
The only announcement I could think of that will end the war is for Warner/New Line and Universal to go BD exclusive.

Let me correct myself.  The other major news announcement that the BDA could make to end this silly format war is that Sony et al will go HD DVD exclusive.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:53 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 12:42 PM »
Meron naman pala Transformers sa Blu-ray eh.....for those who want to import....its 14.99 pounds

Play.com UK