Author Topic: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd  (Read 16167 times)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
marl,

i just want to express my support to your plight, i too went through the same agonizing pain in dealing with a problematic LCD panel before i switched to a plasma.

continue mo lang at im sure you will be vindicated in the end, i purchased with abensons' sis company avant and they handled my problem a lot better than the manufacturer/dealer i was dealing with initially. it took them 1 week to conclude a 3month saga with the dealer, then another week for us to choose and deliver our replacement panel.

Hey thanks for the sympathy bud.  You know it's really a hard and grueling process yet you just have to labor through it to get some semblance of justice.  :-\

re plasma burn-in, we have been using my pio for like an average of at the very least 10 hours a day, she plays dvd with what ever the aspect ration the disc comes with (so mostly with black bars) she watches tv on it with all the station id/logo on long teleserye series, end result on image retention......none. since my 1 year warranty is about to expire, lately i have been testing (playing full white screen on it and other scenes im very familiar with) and searching for any defects so i can claim on it, so far wala pa din. Did i do a break-in? No, i just had it ISF calibrated 1 week after delivery and thats it.  If you're into gaming and dont plan to do 24hour marathons, just casual playing for 2-4hours straight, i dont think it will put IR on any 7th gen and newer panels of a top rate plasma manufacturer.

Am glad to hear that.  It seems that the Pio plasmas have been really more 'solid' with regards to the stereotype plasma issues.  Again IMHO, case to case bro.  Some manufacturers still opt to take the 'safer' route and they include caveats in the instructions that you have to break it in 100hours first with specific settings and guidelines and some even include a 'break-in' disc.  In AVS, a number of members did not break it in and still came up with a clean non-problematic panel (you're in this aggregate ;)).  There have been testimonials though of the infamous burn-in and IR in certain cases.  I also read that one's panel will be prone to IR only on the 1st 100 hours.  Am not sure how true this is but if you've got significant funds invested in you panel, I guess it wouldn't hurt to follow the rules and take the high road.  ;)  Well, to each his own - in my case, will stick to LCDs first despite this 'traumatic' PFL37 issue I am currently confronted with.

Offline sfccc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
Sir, Sparks on tv are not normal pero kung sa plug lang check the outlet baka maluyag lang. This is what i do with my HT incuding the TV, Buy a multiple outlet  (yung magandang klase) usually use on computers plug with every outlet having a switch, then dedicate it to your home theater including the TV, thus you dont have to plug and unplug every time that wears out the outlet and your original plug.

If its at the TV that is another case.

Sir css, Actually its a good TV unless you're intimidated by the error (us we had describe on this thread).

Sir tetablanco, thank you for the advise, siguro if nothing happens with Philips customer service will proceed to DTI. Iam just waiting for MARL's result with PHILIPs personnel.

Sir Marl, Tuloy mo yan just keep cool with philips they are a highly reputable company naman. Inform mo lang kami sa results. I hope that they could find a solution on our dilemma.

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
Word of advice:
DON'T BUT THIS MODEL!!! 37" FULL HD PHILIPS (37PFL7422).

The primary issues: Contrast flickering and video 'laddering.'  During dark scenes in movies, the contrast just explodes (dark, white, dark, white).

BE WARNED GUYS.
When you see the unit below... STAY CLEAR!

What do you mean by video laddering?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 12:10 PM »
I meant video 'laddering' similar to a screen 'refresh-rate' problem in a certain part of the screen which makes it appear that that portion of the scene,  tries to catch-up in an upward motion, hence the coined term laddering-up, until that specific portion exits on the top screen.  I can't describe it explicitly, has to be viewed.  :-\ This occurrence is more sporadic though and unpredictable though vs. the contrast-flicker issue which you know and anticipate would come in during dark transition scenes.  ;)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 02:26 PM »
thanks. I also got the 42 inch version. So far 'haven't observe something like what you're discussing about (flicker & video laddering). Sana huwag na lang mangyari...he he he...

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 02:43 PM »
thanks. I also got the 42 inch version. So far 'haven't observe something like what you're discussing about (flicker & video laddering). Sana huwag na lang mangyari...he he he...

That's good to hear bud!  I have this distinct gut feel that the 'lemon' model in this line is just the 37-incher.  Medyo hilaw nga tingan yung screen size if we're talking about Full HD or 1080p viewing, cause you normally see the diff in really bigger-sized screens.   ;)  In the showrooms, the other sizes of the PFL-line actually seem to have exquisite displays - na-tiempo lang talaga ata ako!   :-\

Offline css

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM »
i tried watching but didn't noticed yung sinasabi ni marl_1 and sfccc.
but hindi kasi ako masyado magaling sa details so maybe i can't noticed it.

but if you guys would need me para lang ma prove sa kanila na me bug or error nga itong model na ito let me know, i would be willing to join you, just pm me. kelangan lang ma prove na ganun din yung model na nakuha ko... thanks

Offline kaiphoenix13

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
Hi just got this from a friend of mine ur forum. I have brought 37PFL unit last friday and it works fine !. Also I have notice the picture clarity is so great specially when am using my hometheather and an HDMI cable connection. Just one question mga bro meron software upgrading yan parang pc di b ? have you tried it ? Kc Ung Sony Bravia Q medyo dim ang picture and after that i have complain it to their service center a personnel came and he said and qoute ha! UPGRADING LANG YAN SIR and it works up to now 4 months na sya wala pa naman prob. Sana tuloy tuloy na. This is just theory bro pero parang parepareho lang silang deisign . Well who knows?! ;D

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 04:47 PM »
Sir agree with you, if its not the best it is the better one of the range of 37" i have seen when i was scouting for an LCD TV (di namagkalayo ang mga presyo that time december, pero bought mine 2 weeks ago) thus ang option mo na lang is to buy the best in the lot.

Anyway, we had referred the matter to PHILIPS customer service, we are just waiting for a reply/result of their findings, sabi nila within the week.

Sana nga its only a software problem.

PHILIPS naman nabili natin. ;)

Offline petixs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 09:31 PM »
Marl,

Dont lose hope, when all else fails, you can use the DTI, months ago, there was a custumer who had problem with her new Civic. After some endless debates , she came to a amicable settlement with Honda. That was a 800k purchase. I mean not all things are difficult to over come.

Good luck with your problem, keep us posted!

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
@sfccc / petixs
Many thanks for the support guys appreciate it.

Will keep you guys posted on my dealings with Philips.  They have been responding naman to my queries so I reckon it's just a matter of time before we resolve this issue.  Ciao!  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM »
Hi guys, just to provide an update with my interaction with Philips.  Ding Celestial, their senior engineer came to the house and installed an updated software (parang firmware), in the panel.  It appears that the flickering issue has been resolved upon the introduction of that updated software, BUT we still agreed that I monitor it closely to see if the current state would be maintained.  Meantime it seems like this panel would survive to fight another day. ;)  Will monitor its progress and post any nuances surface again if ever (hopefully not). 

I just want to tip my hat off to Ding who really responded quickly to my requests.  After he handled my case, things were really expedited. On top of that, he was really a nice fellow to deal with and it appears that he understands things from a consumer's perspective.  I got his contact numbers and told him that I will refer other colleagues who may experience troubles with their Philips items.  He just said that his mobile is open 24-hours.  Here are his contact details specifically for PDVD members:

Menandro "Ding" Celestial
Sr. Customer Interface Engineer
Philips Consumer Electronics

48th Floor PBCom Tower
6795 Ayala Avenue
Makati City 1226

Tel No.: +63 2 8162617 loc 129
Fax No.: +63 2 8163117
Mobile No.: +63 917 242 3218

If you have any other trouble with your Philips panel, please just get in touch with him and am pretty sure he'll help you out.  In fact bro sfccc is already in talks with Ding. < @sfccc, hope things pan out well with regards to your case.  Keep us posted as well please. >

Hope this info helps. 
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline css

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM »
marl_1, would they do the same for those who have the same model as what you have?
o kelangan i request and check nila before they install it?

happy for you na ok na yung problem. thanks.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM »
marl_1, would they do the same for those who have the same model as what you have?
o kelangan i request and check nila before they install it?

happy for you na ok na yung problem. thanks.

In think in general, regardless of your Philips panel, it's under Ding's accountability so feel free to just ring him up if there's something wrong with your set.  First off, I suggest you evaluate your set closely and check if there are 'video' issues to begin with.  As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...  Baka mamaya they install a firmware which backfires and even screws your once pristine panel (you'll never know).  Maselan daw kasi yung software na yan so better be sure before having them tinker with your machine.  Naka-warranty pa naman yan for a number of months still so don't feel pressured to find something.  It's embarrassing din naman to have them come over with their gear and all, tapos hindi mo mapakita (o mapalabas) yung issue with your panel.  ::)  However, if you do see something's wrong, just give him a ring to schedule a visit.  He's only one person so he may not be able to attend to all, depending on the volume of cases he has on his plate. He'll work it out with you for sure.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 07:37 AM »
nice to hear about this positive news, i hope its completely solved para ma enjoy mo na ang set mo! Happy viewing!
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
Marl, Good news yan, will get in touch with them to the same with my tv.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
Dang! Like the Empire in StarWars, the ISSUE strikes back  - the flickering persists!   :o ??? :-\ >:( 
They brought in a bigger model to compare but it likewise showed the same symptoms! 
Am already going nuts really!  Called Ding and said he'll revert back to me. 
Keep you all posted on this new round of engagements! 

Offline lashee

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
Sobrang hassle na sir, if possible full refund na dapat.
Buti na lang, muntik na rin ako sa model na yan last dec, tempting price for a 37in full hd, ended buying pana 32lx700 from sir jeff  :)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:08 AM »
Sobrang hassle na sir, if possible full refund na dapat.
Buti na lang, muntik na rin ako sa model na yan last dec, tempting price for a 37in full hd, ended buying pana 32lx700 from sir jeff  :)

yup lashee, will deal hard this time around.  nahiya lang ako ng konti dahil mabait na tao yung Ding. 
anyway am happy you opted for the pannie from nemesis, that's a solid brand from a solid retailer.  ;)

Online Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
Ouch...
This experience sucks. >:(

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
Okay, here's the latest in the saga.  Ding will for the final time check on the unit and bring his battalion of experts to dissect the unit.  He recognizes that this is a valid consumer issue and he's dead bent on resolving things and end up with a win-win situation.  Am open to working it out with the as well as long as I don't feel shortchanged on my purchase.  He said he's likewise bringing in a new firmware straight from their HQ in singapore to test in on the unit.  Well, it looks like my PC room will transform into a lab withing the week.  Let's see what the prognosis is.  ;)

PS: The only thing keeping me from 'exploding' is Ding's amiable character.  You could really see that this guy really wants to help out.  It's also a given that he likewise wants to prove that his company  stands behind their products - a loyal model employee (been working with Philips for 10+ years if I heard him right). 

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 01:44 PM »
Marl, Akala ko ba okay na, Hindi pa pala. Kaya pala walang reply sa akin si Ding sa mga communication ko sa kanya.

Have already talk to DING (phone), I believe in his capabilities. Philips are discreet with their employees.

Sana he wont fail as with this one.

Tama ka doon marl everything you said about DING. He never gives up.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 02:06 PM »
Marl, Akala ko ba okay na, Hindi pa pala. Kaya pala walang reply sa akin si Ding sa mga communication ko sa kanya.

Have already talk to DING (phone), I believe in his capabilities. Philips are discreet with their employees.

Sana he wont fail as with this one.

Tama ka doon marl everything you said about DING. He never gives up.

If only all Philips employees were as 'gung-ho' as this guy, am sure their company will go a long way.  Actually, this guys surprisingly behaves more  like a Sales/Marketing guy than a Tech/Engineering dude.  Well, he sure is a sight for sore eyes for customers with product issues - a breath of fresh air.  I really hope he continues champion the customer and our issues get resolved the soonest.

Good luck on your set buddy, and keep us posted as well.  ;)

Offline Simple Mind

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 05:34 PM »
If only all Philips employees were as 'gung-ho' as this guy, am sure their company will go a long way.  Actually, this guys surprisingly behaves more  like a Sales/Marketing guy than a Tech/Engineering dude.  Well, he sure is a sight for sore eyes for customers with product issues - a breath of fresh air.  I really hope he continues champion the customer and our issues get resolved the soonest.

Tuloy mo lang yan Bro, I'm sure the Engineer will not let you down.. :) he's the right guy to talk to with regards to Customer Support... 8)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 12:32 AM »
Tuloy mo lang yan Bro, I'm sure the Engineer will not let you down.. :) he's the right guy to talk to with regards to Customer Support... 8)

Thanks bud, keepin' my fingers crossed.  Will keep you all posted. Ciao  :)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 09:27 AM »
Dang! Like the Empire in StarWars, the ISSUE strikes back  - the flickering persists!   :o ??? :-\ >:( 
They brought in a bigger model to compare but it likewise showed the same symptoms! 
Am already going nuts really!  Called Ding and said he'll revert back to me. 
Keep you all posted on this new round of engagements! 

Did you check your power supply?  Maybe there is an appliance somewhere in your house that's causing this interference - just like the whirring sound from the engine that you hear from your car audio.  I'm not a tech guy but maybe you should take a look at this angle also.

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
Sir Marl, Any developments re: our panel.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 06:36 PM »
Am back to monitoring. They introduced a new software upgrade, practically straight from their R&D team in their Singapore HQ.  The flicker again dissipated - but our agreement is to again monitor if this new 'experimental' software patch holds.  Meantime, it seems to be working fine.  Once we get solid confirmation of its effectiveness, Philips may roll-out the new software to other customers if they deem it's needed. Let's keep our fingers crossed  ;)

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
Marl, Thank you for the reply.

I hope you and us could say FINALLY and end this saga.

We are all dependent on your moves and your dealings with PHILIPS.

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:57 AM »
Sir Marl, Any other improvements on your new firmware (contrast, skin tones, HDMI, etc.).