Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on anything Tubes  (Read 98660 times)

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
have the following questions as well:

1) what set of tubes should i change first which will affect/improve the sound of the amp the most?  (i.e. pre, output, etc.)

2) aside from mullard, any recommended brand for a 12ax7 tube? for a 12au7?  for el34?

i just want to know your preferences so that i will not start from scratch.

maraming salamat!!!

Again, the sound of the amplifier will depend on the overall design and the chosen operating points.

Mullard, Telefunken, and all those exotic and ridiculously expensive 12AX7, 12AU7 will be beaten by other cheaper tubes.

Why not use Svetlana EL34, Ei 12AX7LP, or RCA grey plate 12AU7 that are cheap and should sound good. If the amps still does not sound good, then change the amp!
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2006 at 03:19 PM by arnoldc »

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
Dracula, I thought you got the PrimaLuna with the auto-bias board? Hindi kailangan ng manual bias for that.

Unang labas ng Primaluna yung nakuha ko and it didn't come with the auto bias board yet.......was going to get the board retro fittted before I left the UK pero the parts didn't arrive early enough and we already had to leave....
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2006 at 03:29 PM by Dracula »

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Ok, in the absence of the auto-bias board, you should see a bias adjust potentiometer for each power tube. You will need a digital voltmeter and you should check the manual for the bias voltage settings. you should adjust the bias as the tube heats up. Adjust after initial turn on, adjust after 15 minutes, adjust after 30 minutes and in one hour it should settle down.

If it is covered by warranty, I usggest you bring it to Audio Den who are the official disti for Prima Luna.

Offline acquin

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
i replaced my stock EL34 tubes on my Cayin A50T with Svetlana (non-winged C).

The reviews were right - mids and highs were fantastic.  Bass is decent.     good  tubes for vocals at a reasonable price 3000 per quad set. also, replaced the stock 12ax7 with westinghouse 12axta/5751. Noticed less noise and more focus.

I am hearing mixed reviews on the winged c version, some say it's too boomy and mids are not as good. haven't tried it though.

Offline Larry_Boy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Again, the sound of the amplifier will depend on the overall design and the chosen operating points.

Mullard, Telefunken, and all those exotic and ridiculously expensive 12AX7, 12AU7 will be beaten by other cheaper tubes.

Why not use Svetlana EL34, Ei 12AX7LP, or RCA grey plate 12AU7 that are cheap and should sound good. If the amps still does not sound good, then change the amp!

sir arnoldc, thanks a lot . . . very informative for me!  i have a cayin mt35 amp so i think there will be no problem if i get the more affordable ones.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. (Prov 3:5)

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
sirs, okey lang ba ikabit ang ss pre-amp to a tube integrated amp?  I will use the pre-amp as my phono stage. dont know if its also okey to connect my dvd player to the pre-amp. And thus its sound  will be the same?

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
sirs, okey lang ba ikabit ang ss pre-amp to a tube integrated amp?  I will use the pre-amp as my phono stage. dont know if its also okey to connect my dvd player to the pre-amp. And thus its sound  will be the same?

pre-amp as phonostage?  Kung yung ss pre-amp mo may built-in phonostage puede yan, pero kung yung pre-amp mo walang phonostage (yung may RIAA equalization circuit) di puede gamitin yan as a phonostage.

SS pre-amp to a tube integrated amp?  puede yan pero assuming na tube integrated amp na gamit mo, kadalasan, may built-in na pre-amp circuit na 'yan.  ::)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
sirs, okey lang ba ikabit ang ss pre-amp to a tube integrated amp? I will use the pre-amp as my phono stage. dont know if its also okey to connect my dvd player to the pre-amp. And thus its sound will be the same?

if your SS preamp has a phonostage , yes you can connect it to your tube integrated amp, but use the REC Out of the SS preamp. this will provide a fixed output going to your integrated amp

as to connecting your dvd player to the preamp as well - why?
money is best spent

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
sirs, i only use the ss pre amp as a phono stage.  I also want to connect my dvd player thru the pre-amp, i use my dvd plyer as my cdp.  Thus the audio output will be the same as direct to my tube amp?

Thank sirs for your replies!

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
sirs, i only use the ss pre amp as a phono stage.

As long as your SS pre-amp has a phonostage, no problem with that.

I also want to connect my dvd player thru the pre-amp, i use my dvd plyer as my cdp. 
Thus the audio output will be the same as direct to my tube amp?

What do you mean by "audio output"?  If you're thinking that the sound will be louder with the dvd player connected to the pre-amp, it will sound louder as the pre-amp, I assume, has it's own gain.  As for the sound to be better or not, it's for you to judge.

Cheers. 

Offline Jakob

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
i have a matched quad set output/power(?) tubes, one went bad...

- can i just get another tube of the same kind/brand, to replace to the one dead tube?

- buy a pair, use it for either channel (L or R)?

- mix-match (brand) the tubes?  :o

making a big mistake or ok lang?

ty  8)

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
just get one of the same brand. and make sure you re-bias.

Offline Jakob

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
just get one of the same brand. and make sure you re-bias.

thanks!

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I was at Glorietta yesterday and passed by Phasetron, and had a chance to listen to one of their tube amps using a CD player and I was very, very impressed with the sound.

I am thinking of getting a starter tube integrated amp and use my Marantz CD player on it. I have a NAD integrated amp and after hearing the tube amp, I am convinced that I NEED one!

Can anyone tell me how/where to start? I would prefer a very inexpensive system just to get my feet wet and later on, upgrade or replace.

I listen primarily to Jazz, instrumental and blues.

TIA.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006 at 03:22 PM by alexg »
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
I was at Glorietta yesterday and passed by Phasetron, and had a chance to listen to one of their tube amps using a CD player and I was very, very impressed with the sound.

I am thinking of getting a starter tube integrated amp and use my Marantz CD player on it. I have a NAD integrated amp and after hearing the tube amp, I am convinced that I NEED one!

Can anyone tell me how/where to start? I would prefer a very inexpensive system just to get my feet wet and later on, upgrade or replace.

I listen primarily to Jazz, instrumental and blues.

TIA.

Hi,

If you already have a pair of speakers, better bring them along when you audtion tube amps, as you need a proper amp-speaker matching to bring out the best of the music you want.

Hope this helps.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
i want to replace the tubes on my amp.....can I do it myself? or do I need somebody to do it for me? where can I get the tubes? My amp's tube compliment is 4 el34, 12ax7 and 12au7....I've had the amp since 2004 but because we haven't sorted out the house we're moving into I haven't been able to set it up properly

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
If your amp does not require biasing of the output tubes, then you just simply replace the old ones with a fresh stock.

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Does anybody sell DIY integrated tube amp kit in the Philippines?
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
Does anybody sell DIY integrated tube amp kit in the Philippines?

As far as I know, wala.   What you can do is either purchase a kit from DIY Hifi Supply in HongKong; or download a tube amp circuit diagram and buy the parts yourself  ;) 

Hope this helps.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
sirs,
pwede paki-explika - tube buffers

what is decware's zsla-1? nakalagay sa descprition - single ended triode - stereo line stage, pero sa schematic diagram heading - tube attenuator / buffer.
http://www.decware.com/linestage/zp1.htm
click- "specs" on the left side of the display, schematic will appear at the bottom of next display

sa link na ito - http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1154211013&read&3&4& 
may nagtanong tungkol sa tube buffers, at may sumagot to the effect na di lagi kailangan o advisable na gumamit ng tube buffer, depended sa gamit na gears.

eto po setup na balak ko insert tube buffer*--->   dvdplayer -*- tubepreamp (12au7) - t.amps

worry ko baka "over"/"redundant" instead of improving the sound eh makagulo pa?

maraming salamat po :)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006 at 08:12 AM by oweidah »

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
sirs,
pwede paki-explika - tube buffers

is decware's zsla-1 same as a buffer? nakalagay sa descprition - single ended triode - stereo line stage, pero sa schematic diagram heading - tube attenuator / buffer.
http://www.decware.com/linestage/zp1.htm
click- "specs" on the left side of the display, schematic will appear at the bottom of next display

sa link na ito - http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1154211013&read&3&4& 
may nagtanong tungkol sa tube buffers, at may sumagot to the effect na di lagi kailangan o advisable na gumamit ng tube buffer, depended sa gamit na gears.

eto po setup na balak ko insert tube buffer*--->   dvdplayer -*- tubepreamp (12au7) - t.amps

worry ko baka "over"/"redundant" instead of improving the sound eh makagulo pa?

maraming salamat po :)

I believe the Decware zsla-1 is a tube buffer with a volume control. By itself it can act as a preamp.

I liked the zsla-1 concept, so i requested Jojo to convert my Tono preamp to a passive tube linestage  with zero gain. This is the result:

12AU7 Unity Gain Preamp

Photo by JojoD

More info:

http://audioslavery.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=DIY&action=display&thread=1107836033&page=69

I was very happy with the result. Mated it with a Rotel RB-03 (70 watts). Galing sa Rock and ROll.

I would be redundant to add this to tour system. Just convert your tube preamp to passive one.

LOuie

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
From what I understand, a buffer decreases the output impedance of a signal. The Decware you mentioned uses triode tubes but is unity gain kaya buffer lang sya.

A preamp is a buffer/attenuator/ and may or may not have gain.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
As I understand, a  tube buffer/preamp will addup/spice some sonic flavorings to ur setup, especially with the addition of what they say as even order harmonics to ur current digital set-up, rich in odd order harmonics.
As they say, these even harmonics is synonymous to what makes it 'tube-sounding'.. Other than that, a buffer could act as a possible impedance matching correction/interface.
Mr Owediah, i think there is no harm in trying with that kind of your set-up.
Finally, your hi fi ears will decide...
Tsaka, sayang kung hindi naman magamit....benta mo na lang sa min ;D ;D ;D
'Real Audio, Glows In the Dark'....daw ;)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
thanks sir ru9 & bumblebee. :)

Tsaka, sayang kung hindi naman magamit....benta mo na lang sa min ;D ;D ;D
'Real Audio, Glows In the Dark'....daw ;)

tnx sir dana, baka kasi sa dami ng rekado di ko na malaman kung ano ang nagpasarap ng lasa? sabagay ganun din chopseuy - masarap ;D

benta? amperex6922PQusa white label? o yung singkwentaykwatro aNyOS? sige 300/pin...joke! ;D ;D ;D

glow in the dark ko - ambilyts from 168 ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006 at 09:19 AM by oweidah »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
hey oweidah,

anything you put in front of the power amp is a pre-amp, so aside from the above mentioned, you can also try just a passive attenuator, or a transformer type preamp..you have many to choose from...
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006 at 08:18 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
Guys,

I have on one of my amps a GE5751 installed, recently got a tube printed JAN GE 5751 from Spin. Does the JAN label mean the 2 are of different versions? Haven't installed the JAN version yet since I am still trying out
the Sylvania which I also got from Spin. TIA

Devo
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
JAN means "joint army navy" they are military grade tubes and are tighter in specs...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline CO2

• Apprentice
  • Music heals...
  • Liked:
Hi bros. just asking some help where can i buy a premium volume control for my vintage tube amp (pioneer sx 2000).  I tried to diagnose the signal problems of the amp's left channel and the first thing i noticed was the worn-out surface carbon of the volume control input terminal.  I will try to replace it first before i go farther.  Thanks in advance.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Pot? I think Silver Strings carry Alps. And DACT.

Offline CO2

• Apprentice
  • Music heals...
  • Liked:
Thanks sir bumblebee can i ask their exact locations please...