Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 111463 times)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up
« Reply #630 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 01:25 PM »
dipoles are usually recommended as side surrounds only. direct radiating for the rest including back surround channels.

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #631 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 01:28 PM »
Thanks!

Do i need to tilt the dipoles or find a way to lower them? If you can see on the picture the left side(window side) is kind of angular and all, will this reduce effectiveness?

Bookshelves for Surround Back then?
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010 at 01:29 PM by vx2 »

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #632 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 01:47 PM »
anong dimensions ng room mo?

Offline vx2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:33 PM »
14 feet long, about 8 feet wide ( up to 10 feet if around the angled extension windows.)

This is my bedroom though, so about half of that occupies a bed and thus my seat will be a bit in front of the bed.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:34 PM by vx2 »

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 06:04 PM »
oh so that's why the seats are so near the front :) yeah bookshelves for the back but imo you don't really need them if you only have one row of seating and you're going to be in the sweet spot most of the time.

Offline vx2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: Feb 04, 2010 at 08:08 AM »
Yeah. But that can be adjusted if I place my bed sideways  ;D

Oh btw, the dipoles, do I need to lower them or angle them or whatnot?

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 10:23 AM »
I'm planning on buying a new AVR, preferably something which can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio signals.  I currently own a Samsung HTZ-220 HTIB, so I plan on using the provided 5.1 speakers for the meantime, while saving up for separate speakers.  (I'm eyeing either the Onkyo 507 or Pioneer 819)

However, I read in another forum that modern AVR's cannot amplify passive subwoofers (which the HTZ-220 has).  Mahina daw ang sound output kasi line-level amplification lang, aside from the fact na RCA jack ang connector sa likod ng AVR.  Malamang, magso-solder pa ako since proprietary connection yung sa Samsung.  So, I have to buy pa daw an active sub?  (Gastos na naman!  :-[)

Is this true?  May work-around ba so I can use the passive sub to give out decent bass?
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline vx2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 10:55 AM »
^^i don't think the HTIB's speakers are compatible with dedicated AVRs. They have proprietary plugs that are different. Are they cube-ish plugs or they just wires?

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 01:33 PM »
Cubish, parang RJ-45 jacks.  I plan to cut them anyway kung sakaling nakabili na ako ng bagong AVR.  So it's not going to be a problem. 

One more thing, the Sammy speakers are rated at 141 watts @ 3 ohms.  Kaya ba siya ng Onkyo 507?
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 02:23 PM »
If I were you I'd sell the HTIB to fund your new set-up. :) Kahit 2.1 lang muna mabuo mo and then work your way to purchase the rest to complete your HT. Madami dito sa Marketplace ang pre-owned but attractively priced gears. You can stretch your money a long way if you are patient in looking for what you need. ;)
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #640 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 10:20 PM »
@VX2

i'm not sure if you've already purchased dipoles, but bipoles are way better. dipoles as i've read, requires you to be in the "null" point (not really sure the exact term used). in other words, you need to be in a specific loaction to get the ideal radiation from dipoles or else the 2 drivers will cancel each other out. i've no experience with dipoles only bipoles so extra reading online will give you a clearer view w/c is better for your setup.

anyway, i think a wharfe dfs' (if that's the dfs that you're referring to) have bipole config.

additional: high end bipole surrounds have switches for both bi/di config pala
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010 at 10:22 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline vx2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: Mar 09, 2010 at 12:17 AM »
thanks HEXA. I'm deciding on whether to put in dipoles/bipoles or just another pair of bookshelves.

I'll do some research on bipoles, can you give any suggestions?

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #642 on: Mar 09, 2010 at 08:11 PM »
I really like the bipole dispersion instead of BS. Especially in cramped spaces - localization of BS is more apparent which should not be the case. the general rule is that the surrround sound should not distract you from the display/TV in front. I cannot suggest a specific brand because bipoles with 2 drivers cost a lot.

Just my humble suggestions.
- drivers with at least 5 inches for that added thump
- i would choose 2 mid range drivers instead of just one with 2 tweeters. if budget is limited, one mid driver would still do the trick
- I agree that using multizone can give you that music ambience, therefore you can just get bookshelves for the back surrounds. no one listens to stereo using bipoles anyway. :) According to an article i've read before, the reviewer and his guest prefered bipoles for all the surround tasks (7.1). it's intensely immersive daw. but i'll still go with BS for the back surrounds in accordance to your preference of using the multizone feature.

Offline fweyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 12:03 PM »
Hey guise. Wow. I haven't posted here in a long time.

Anyway, I've been enjoying my very simple 4.0 stereo setup. 2 Floor Standing and 2 Rear Bookshelves. I mainly use it for music as I am in between the 4 speakers. :D

Those are connected to an OLD Yamaha Stereo Sound Receiver RX-V490. Stereo lang. It has 4 speaker connectors at the back, one for Speaker Set A and Speaker Set B. That's where I connected my existing speakers. Pero I was thinking sana of getting a USAudio Sub for my room(really small, 3x3m lang). I need a little more rumble para party na dito sa room. Hahaha.

I was wondering can I connect the USAudio sub to my Receiver? Wont it get overloaded or something?

Longlive PinoyDVD 8)
Tool.

Offline symbian74

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #644 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM »
This is an extremely newbie question but please indulge.  :D Currently my LN37B530 only plays through the built-in speakers in TV mode. How do I hook it up to the HT-Z220? Through a left-right audio cable or through some other means? I'd like to utilize the speaker set-up even for TV viewing. Thanks.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 11:57 PM »
This is an extremely newbie question but please indulge.  :D Currently my LN37B530 only plays through the built-in speakers in TV mode. How do I hook it up to the HT-Z220? Through a left-right audio cable or through some other means? I'd like to utilize the speaker set-up even for TV viewing. Thanks.

Usually, there is monitor out* (audio and video out) in a samsung LCD TV.

Check this image, though for Samsung LN40B530 model

Check the link here for respective labels
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-LN32B530-LN37B530-LN40B530-LN46B530-and-LN52B530-LCD-HDTV-Review-1345/Connectivity.htm

You can use this analog audio out to connect to the stereo-in of you HTZ 220 using analog stereo RCA cable, then the HTZ 220 will be the one to amplify (and process using DSPs if you like) the audio from TV/Cable or if the LCD has USB input for MP3/videos.

*- Mostly audio out only

Offline constyne

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #646 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 05:23 PM »
mg sirs, bago lang po ako dito....sorry din po kung mali ata napuntahn ko na topic... hingi lang ako ng opinion nyo.... meron po kasi akong harman kardon avr 255 model, rated 50 watts per channel, then my balak po ako bumili ng  speakers ko, tpos nag tanung ako dito sa glorietta SA automatic center nagbebenta din sila ng HK ask ko kung kaya idrive ng ampli. gang 250 WATTS khit daw gang 350WATTS kaya dw.. taMa po ba ito, di ba masisira ampli ko...and planning to buy n rin aq ng center speaker bose VCS 10 ok lng po ba ito... tnx.. sana matulungan nyo ako... nga po pala ang minimum input power ng speaker ko sana na bibilhin eh 30 watts...

Offline carlo.A

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
set up
« Reply #647 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM »
im about to set up my gears soon. just bought the speakers last night. my reciever is due to arrive by the end of the month or early next. anyway, any tips on the set up because the placing will be on a corner. the back of the tv and the front speakers will be a corner.

my bedroom is on rectangular and i want to utilize it the most. so ill be putting the sofa also on the corner facing the ht. how should i set up the surround speakers? is having the front speakers on a corner bad?

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: set up
« Reply #648 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM »
it would be helpful if you can post pics of your room.
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline carlo.A

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 11:10 AM »
i will. sobra gulo pa e. will be transferring to that room e.  hassle part of the room is that puro cabinet sya

Offline ulolin

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #650 on: Oct 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM »
sorry if this is the wrong thread... I have a pair of speakers... just need to know what do you usually go for ordering an enclosure....

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #651 on: Oct 22, 2010 at 05:20 PM »
i will. sobra gulo pa e. will be transferring to that room e.  hassle part of the room is that puro cabinet sya
or make an sketch with dimension of your room and where is the sofa and monitor
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010 at 05:21 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #652 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 05:02 PM »
i have an ld460
an xbox 360 connected via hdmi
lg bd550 connectied via hdmi
pioneer dv120k via component

i'm looking into having a 2.1 speaker system that can decode dts and has optical input (for the tv) and coaxial digital input (for the pioneer dvd player)

ano po ba mga options ko? i don't wanna spend too much on the speaker system i think mga 9 or 10k ang limit. i'm not to keen on adding amplifiers and seperate recievers because i want to keep my setup simple and clean (hence 2.1). i have a very small room that i think would benefit from a 2.1 system with virtual surround.

any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Offline slicksteiner

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #653 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 09:31 PM »
have LD460, unfortunately there is no audio out that comes from analog only optical.. how do i connect my ld460 to my trusted old component that has only rca inputs? is there such a thing as a optical to rca converter here in the philippines?

Offline LLG

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #654 on: Dec 16, 2010 at 08:28 AM »
Good Morning Sir/s, hope you find the time to entertain this noob here :).

I would just like to know your inputs/advice as I am considering to purchase/use an Altec Lansing VS4121 or Altec Octane7 for a basic 2.1 speaker set-up to go with my pioneer dvd player-LG Plasma set-up.

I understand that originally these are PC/Laptop/MP speakers by nature but I'm currently on a budget and considering I only plan to put them in a  small-medium sized room, I figure I won't need anything too powerful naman to fill it up with sound while watching movies.

I also know of Altec's MX and Expressionist lines which could have been more suitable for my intended use but sadly stocks here are very hard to come by plus they cost twice as much than the VS and Octane7 series. Has anyone tried using their VS or Octane7s with their DVD Players? Will there be any negative effects on the dvd-tv set-up in the long run?  ???

Currently, I tried plugging my Creative 2.1 desktop speakers/Sub to my dvd player (via 3.5-RCA conversion cables) while my dvd's hdmi is plugged to the tv. Tried running tokyo drift's race scenes and no problems so far.

Would the experts advice against this kind of set-up? ??? What are the cons of this set-up po?
Hoping to get your inputs and suggestions mga Sir/s before I go out and purchase the VS or Octane7s. ;D

Thanks in advance. ;D

Offline Tonteng

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #655 on: Dec 19, 2010 at 02:14 PM »
Sir kamusta po yung set nyo? :)
one upgrade at a time

Offline bher2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #656 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 09:12 AM »
just got my new LCD from SnS..

the problem is due to limited funds, nagiisip ako kung pwede na paisa isa lang muna ang bibilhin ko na hardware. since i had my LCD TV, is it ok to buy next a DVD Player? then sunod ang 5.1 speakers?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #657 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 09:19 AM »
just got my new LCD from SnS..

the problem is due to limited funds, nagiisip ako kung pwede na paisa isa lang muna ang bibilhin ko na hardware. since i had my LCD TV, is it ok to buy next a DVD Player? then sunod ang 5.1 speakers?

tama yan, with the player, you can directly plug it into the tv first for the audio. then upgrade to speakers and receiver once you have the money.

Offline jepoi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 09:29 AM »
Would it be ok to have these:

Yamaha RX-V467
2 pairs of Polk TSi 200s (as front left, front right, surround left and surround right)
Polk CS10 (center)
Mirage S8 sub

for a small room HT setup?
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011 at 08:23 AM by jepoi »

Offline jepoi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #659 on: Feb 21, 2011 at 08:24 AM »
up for my question...