Author Topic: DIY - light behind your LCD  (Read 46602 times)

Offline darth_rye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DIY - light behind your LCD
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
Mga sirs!

Any update sa mga naglagay na ng T4 sa LCD TV nyo? Feedback lang po! Thanks 8)

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 09:01 PM »
I saw the Philips L.E.D lights (4 strips) on sale at Ace Hardware.  P1,600++ na lang from P2,100++.  Upto end of October daw ang sale.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
I saw the Philips L.E.D lights (4 strips) on sale at Ace Hardware.  P1,600++ na lang from P2,100++.  Upto end of October daw ang sale.

May I ask which Ace Hardware branch ?

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM »
May I ask which Ace Hardware branch ?

I saw it at Ace SM Southmall last wednesday

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
I'll check it nga din.

Kaso problema ko lang sa option na ito is the extra outlet that you'll need to power it up.
Plus the thought of putting double adhesive sa likod ng PV8 ko (kahit sa likod...ouch!).
But you have to admit that the effects are great for viewing especially with all lights out :)

Meron ba nakagawa na para makita natin ang effects
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
I'll check it nga din.

Kaso problema ko lang sa option na ito is the extra outlet that you'll need to power it up.
Plus the thought of putting double adhesive sa likod ng PV8 ko (kahit sa likod...ouch!).
But you have to admit that the effects are great for viewing especially with all lights out :)

Meron ba nakagawa na para makita natin ang effects

Pixs nga sa may mga nakapag kabit na.... :-*

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
I disagree with the Philips Ambilight concept of backlighting.  The bias light should be constant, not automatically adjusting; and pure white, not multi-colored.

The purpose of bias lighting is to reduce eye stran.  Eye pupils dilate and contstrict depending on the levels of light.  When viewing TV in a dark room, the eye has to go from a bright spot in the center of vision (bright scene), to pitch black (dark scene), and the pupils adjust accordingly.  Eventually, the eye muscles become fatigued, causing eye strain and headaches.

The solution is a constant bias light behind the display, so that the light fluctuation in a dark room is kept to a minimum.  As a result, the pupils do not dilate too much even during dark scenes, because the bias light provides the additional lighting that will prevent the pupils from dilating in the extreme.

An ideal bias light should be a pure white light, so as not to affect the purity of the colors on a calibrated monitor.  The idea is to present a neutral color, which can be achieved by using a bulb with a color temperature of 6500K, more or less.  The color of the wall behind the screen should also be neutral (white or a neutral gray), so as not to affect the 6500K color temperature of the light cast on the back wall.   

As for the brightness of the bias light, the usual recommendation is 5-10% of the total light output of the display.  Similarly, the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) recommends a backlighting of less than 10% of the peak white output of the display.

If you like the Philips Ambilight concept because it looks cool, then that's fine.  But if you're interested in calibrated color accuracy, then you should look elsewhere.

(Ideal-Lume is the industry standard: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm)

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM by barrister »

Offline dxbnoypi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 04:54 PM »
I saw this item in IKEA here, these lights are really LEDs that were stick at the back of the LCD. Nung tinignan ko, naka double adhesive tape lang siya.  I wanted to purchase it by then para sa LCD ko. Kaso nung nakita ko ung mismong item, ang laki nung adapter that u need to plug. i mean, kasi nga mga LEDs lang at di kayang exact 220v, kaya ayun may adapter na kasama. Anyways, meron din sila nung multi-color pero it will not work as what the Philips have sa mga LCDs nila.  Nagbabago lang ung color or a steady color. Ganun lang. Unlike the philips, depende sa pinapanuod mo kasi the ambilight is built in sa unit which means may processor sya sa loob na magproduce ng iba't ibang kulay depende sa pinapanuod mo. yun lang. share ko lang.

For eye strain ang purpose ng light. there are other options. try the net to search. :)

Offline triplex

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • +A.M.D.G.+
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 06:08 PM »
share ko lang, a cheaper way of lighting the backround of our panels. got his from wilcons depo for less than 200.  they have red and yellow colors as well. DIY na lang yung wiring and switch.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 07:28 PM »
Ganyan din dapat ang effect ng Philips Ambilight (separate from LCD). I tried 3 ACE Hardwares looking for the Philips LEDs kaos wala na. Ang meron na nga lang are the T5s and T4s, kaso ang downside lang nyan ay DIY na switch and cables dahil nga wala yan. Wanted to put very light blue sa top and bottom sana.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 11:38 AM »
As for the brightness of the bias light, the usual recommendation is 5-10% of the total light output of the display.  Similarly, the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) recommends a backlighting of less than 10% of the peak white output of the display.

Hi sir, how do you measure for that 5-10% of light? How do you measure that total light output of the display? Are there any practical tool that can be used? Just curious.
Thanks!
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:51 PM »
There certainly are tools to measure light.  But I don't think there is any "practical tool" for it, if you're referring to a cheap, easy-to-find gadget to measure a TV's light.

I would recommend simply estimating the light output, since precision is not critical anyway.  You start with a full white screen on your calibrated TV.  Use that white screen as reference, then compare with the bias light.  The white screen should be considered 100%; the bias light should be 5-10% of that.

If you really want a tool, you will need a lux meter.  Maybe photographers' light meters can also be used.

Lux Meter
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:26 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #42 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
barrister we dont need this right? i mean us plasma users  ??? ???   :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
Do we need a lux meter?  No, definitely not.

Do plasma users need a bias light?  No, it's not necessary, but it is nice to have one installed.

In my case, I like watching DVDs on my plasma in darkness, but with a bias light.  Watching with a bias light is easier on the eyes than watching in total darkness. 

But sometimes I like watching in total darkness, to eliminate distractions in the room.  It forces the viewer to concentrate on the image on screen.  I usually do that for horror movies.  8)

It's better to have a bias light installed because it's better to have a choice.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:34 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:39 PM »
ill make one myself ..  :D
thanks bro!
It's better to have a bias light installed because it's better to have a choice.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:40 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:44 PM »
Try a cheap one first.  If you like the effect, then you can design a better one.

Have you seen my old post about my bias light?

Nakakahiya naman, jologs lang talaga ang bias light ko....  ;D

As you know, I do not like high-end gear.  For me, setting up a good AV system at the lowest possible cost is more fun than spending unreasonable amounts on the latest and greatest.

I use a 3-watt night light, Gartim brand, available at hardware stores in malls and at supermarkets.  Price is about P100.  Color is white, color temperature is 6,900 K. 

It's bluer by only 400K above the recommended color temp, so the color is acceptable.  Besides, my back wall is orange colored wallpaper, which is far from the recommended neutral-colored wall (white or gray), so a 400K difference would not be significant. 

Quality is hit or miss.  My yellow bulb (2,700K) is OK, but my white bulb flickered after less than 10 hours of use, when it's supposedly rated at 10,000 hours.  I got a new white bulb, and it's working just fine now.

The bulb is screwed onto a generic socket-switch-wire-plug set.  The socket and push-thru switch look like this:

The assembly is hooked to the rear of the TV using a Command cord clip by 3M:

The 6900K Gartim night light bulb has been fine since Feb 2007 until the present.

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:46 PM by barrister »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #46 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 02:01 PM »
I disagree with the Philips Ambilight concept of backlighting.  The bias light should be constant, not automatically adjusting; and pure white, not multi-colored.

I think it depends on the individual's orientation. Its like other people can read or watch while in transit but some get dizzy.

Im using Philips LCD w/ digital motion & ambilight and Im fully recommending it. It gives me different watching experience so got the excitement of viewing the same movie again and again.  Although not using ambilight frequently, it does gives me relaxing mood everytime I use it.

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 04:58 PM »
sample setup panasonic TH-4242PV80, water proof bluelight hanged behind the plasma wall bracket.

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #48 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:29 PM »
Nice ;D Not too bright ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2660
« Reply #49 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 08:00 PM »
question lang , ano ang effect nung lights sa panonood ng tv?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Bolshoie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 08:32 PM »
question lang , ano ang effect nung lights sa panonood ng tv?

lessens eye strains

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 08:39 PM »
kelangan ba blue ung color ng lights?

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:20 AM »
sample setup panasonic TH-4242PV80, water proof bluelight hanged behind the plasma wall bracket.

Nice backlight!..Have you tried using white light?

Offline Bolshoie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 04:41 PM »
para sa mga tag tipid at walang pera tulad ko you can try buying those small flourescent lights like akari which is like P200 only then blue cellophane paper would look something like this

but of course if you have the money buy something reliable and with quality na

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 04:42 PM by Bolshoie »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
Nice backlight!..Have you tried using white light?

haven't tried using white light yet as i can no longer find shops that sell the blue light a purchased.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
hmm .. i was planning on making one .. but when i tried watching with all the lights off, there is still a few lights from the window, so i think i wont be needing one ... :D
ninjababez online ..

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
applicable lang ito ba ito while watching with the lights off?

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
6500K is the recommended light temp for bias lighting...

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm

Ang balak ko bilhin is the usual rope light and ipapa-ikot ko na lang sa wall mount.  Pero I doubt if there is a 6500K na rope light.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
applicable lang ito ba ito while watching with the lights off?

Anya, kelangan lang to for your eyes' health.  Nakakapagod and nakakahilo manood ng madilim lalo sa middle aged persons.  Pero kung matibay ka pa rin and you dont feel anything at all even when the room is pitch dark - swerte mo.  He he he.

It doesnt have to be blue.  Any back lighting would lessen eye strain.  Yung iba, simple lang na clip light with krypton (yellow) lamp, facing towards the wall at the back of the TV to bounce off light.  Effective na rin yon to protect your health.

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:24 PM »
I was at ACE hardware in SM san lazaro last monday night. I saw some cheap T4,T5 light fixture Akira brand and the price range from 150-400 pesos only with power from 8-20 watts. It comes with its own cord and power switch.

Its either you put it at the back of your LCD TV with double adhesive (Dont want this thing sticking on my LCD) or screw the fixture at the wall behind the LCD.