Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65860 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #90 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 03:08 PM »
SPOILER?

You mean the voiceover at the end? Actually, it confirms what the film was trying to say, that Rizal did not recant his heresy and that he did not go back to the church faith (unlike the ridiculous ending of Diaz Abaya's Rizal--if he did this, how can they show him as heroic? Now that's contradictory). I agree, I don't like it, but because it made his conclusion too clear--he spelt out what he was trying to say, instead of suggesting it. I said as much to Doy del Mundo after I saw a preview, but apparently, Mike left it the way it was...

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 08:09 PM »
The thing with Bayaning 3rd World is that it attempts to give un even-handed trail of the case of the retraction, however the film (and De Leon), as it's conlcuding voiceover affirms, had a firm stance throughout.  The films aesthetics and visuals point clearly to this conclusion.

That's not to say, however, that I don't like the film.  I think it's brilliant. But the voiceover does take something away from it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Jun 10, 2004 at 12:11 PM »
The voice over adds an editorial, where the rest of the film makes its case as if it's merely presenting the facts (it's not, but that's a difficult balancing act it's doing), facts which point--subtly, quietly--to that conclusion. Putting that voiceover there tends to ruin the beautifully achieved appearance of objectivity.

I like to think (now, anyway) that it's the kind of flaw that makes a work of art all the more fascinating. Like I think The Bicycle Thief is flawed if you realize all the protagonist had to do was put a lock on or keep better watch of his bike, or that King Lear's basic premise--that he'd divide his kingdom while he's still alive--is silly. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jun 11, 2004 at 10:11 AM »
I really loved watching Bayaning 3rd World. It's very deep and interesting to watch, even rivals JFK when it comes to conspiracies, speculation, mysteries, etc.

If you ask me, I believe that Rizal NEVER retracted and with this I was gravely disappointed with the GMA Jose Rizal flick since they showed that our hero DID retract.

During the movie, there was a movie poster of one of Lino Brocka's films. What movie is that and was it a classic? Could Mike De Leon be involved in that film?

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jun 11, 2004 at 12:11 PM »
During the movie, there was a movie poster of one of Lino Brocka's films. What movie is that and was it a classic? Could Mike De Leon be involved in that film?

It was "MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG." Mike was the film's cinematographer. God, how I wish Mike will do another masterpiece again.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Jun 12, 2004 at 08:59 PM »
Come to think of it Mike de Leon & Stanley Kubrick have similarities in common.

They are both rarely photographed, no interviews, both have total independence with regards to their movies, disdain commercial formulas except for Mike's HIndi Nahahati ang Langit (komiks material).

Studios cannot interfere with their works, the late Stanley Kubrick can command whatever he wants at Warner Bros that only he & Clint Eastwood can do.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2004 at 10:03 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jun 13, 2004 at 10:11 AM »
Kubrick is de Leon's idol. His films show Kubrick's influence, and there are several tributes to The Shining in Kisapmata.

Personally, I prefer Kisapmata to The Shining.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jun 13, 2004 at 01:21 PM »
Since the late Stanley Kubrick was perfectionist, fond of hundred takes, is Mike also obsessed with dozen takes before shouting CUT?

On the set of The Shining, Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall endured the bloody takes of Stanley.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2004 at 01:23 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 05:25 AM »
Obviously he doesnt' have the budget to do a hundred takes...but I think that speaks well of de Leon in comparison with Kubrick. That hundred take thing, I think it's more self indulgence than anything. To do it well and right on at least the first few takes requires discipline and balls.

That said, de Leon is a perfectionist. You can see it in his films, where everything is technically and visually perfect. His films are even technically better than Brocka's, Bernal's, O'Hara's. It helps that he has his own lab.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 02:51 PM »
Apart from his own production outfit Cinema Artists, it turns out Mike de Leon was involved in other endeavors:

Cine Video Arts-- purportedly the first CGI animation house in the country which he set-up and later sold.

Graffiti-- a graphic design studio.

Of course, he was briefly the general manager of  LVN

Another little bit of info...

Ateneo GS'59/HS'63/Coll'67
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2009 at 02:24 AM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 07:00 PM »
Obviously he doesnt' have the budget to do a hundred takes...but I think that speaks well of de Leon in comparison with Kubrick. That hundred take thing, I think it's more self indulgence than anything. To do it well and right on at least the first few takes requires discipline and balls.

That said, de Leon is a perfectionist. You can see it in his films, where everything is technically and visually perfect. His films are even technically better than Brocka's, Bernal's, O'Hara's. It helps that he has his own lab.

That set him apart from Kubrick...the hundred take thing. I can see that Mike is a perfectionist when it comes to his films.

BTW Noel, RMN...who did the production design for ITIM? The house of Tommy Abuel looks creepy and you can smell the whole countryside where the film was shot.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 07:15 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 12:02 PM »
Mel Chionglo did the production design. Apparently becoming a film director was a big mistake.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 02:58 PM »
There's a Mike de Leon Festival on Cinema One.  One night a week this June, I think.  Featured films that I recall are Kakabkabakaba, Hindi Nahahati, Kisapmata... I forget the rest.  Will post details as soon as I see the plug.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 01:48 AM »
Mel Chionglo did the production design. Apparently becoming a film director was a big mistake.

i agree Noel that Mel Chionglo is a great production designer but do you honestly think that it was a mistake for him to become a film director? he's done a number of good films like Playgirl & Sinner or Saint. he even wrote the screenplay for Ina. kapatid, Anak. Mel was also Mike's production designer for Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising & Bernal's for Ikaw ay Akin.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 12:22 PM »

i agree Noel that Mel Chionglo is a great production designer but do you honestly think that it was a mistake for him to become a film director? he's done a number of good films like Playgirl & Sinner or Saint. he even wrote the screenplay for Ina. kapatid, Anak. Mel was also Mike's production designer for Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising & Bernal's for Ikaw ay Akin.

Check out his Lagarista and Lahar. He doesn't have an eye, or a storytelling sense, or even a logical train of thought in his head.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 11:47 PM »

Check out his Lagarista and Lahar. He doesn't have an eye, or a storytelling sense, or even a logical train of thought in his head.

i saw both films... i guess you're right! you can also add Kapalit to the list.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 04:41 PM »
I just caught again 'Di Nahahati ang Langit and I have to say that the movie, over time,  has  started to grow on me and that I might have unfairly dismissed it in the two times previous times that I saw it.

While the performances are terrible (Christopher is, as expected, over the top and Dina I never really liked) and it does have its cheezy moments, I've realized  Mike de Leon's directing here is great and that the story isn't at all that bad...it was, actually, quite good and the characterization quite complex. You really can feel the mood in the intense scenes.

In fact--and I can't believe that I'll actually say this--it's a very competent and respectable piece of work as far as melodramas go, specialy when compared to those 80's Viva releases.

So there. I take back what I've previously said about 'Di Nahahati. I can now see why Mike is proud of thsi one.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 07:12 PM »
About Hindi Nahahati ang Langit, I thought he removed his name from the credits so why is he proud of this movie?  ???

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #108 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 12:57 AM »
the only mike d film that i have seen is ITIM and i was blown away! i never thougth we could make films like this one! excelent excelent!

oh i have also seen bayaning 3rd, but i'm still not too sure if i liked it or not.  ???
i felt it was trying to be too clever at times [opinyon ko lamang po]...

: AYUZ!  >:(
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 09:02 AM »
About Hindi Nahahati ang Langit, I thought he removed his name from the credits so why is he proud of this movie?  ???

It was a disagreement with Charo Santos over...I'm not sure, opening day, maybe?

I didn't think Chris de Leon or Dina were terrible in the movie at all; they do well enough, and better than their usual attempts at acting.

Like I said, I like it better than Sister Stella L., and so, apparently, does Mike.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
I dunno, but it seems that Mike de Leon has some sort of affinity to Baguio. I mean, Kung Mangarap ka't Magising, Kakabakaba ka? and Di Nahahati were shot or partly shot in Baguio.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 02:04 PM »
Climate suits his temperament, I suppose.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
What I'm pretty curious about is how Mike de Leon handles his actors. Does he give them a freehand to interpret a scene? Does he instruct them? Hmmm...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 08:52 AM »
There's a story about Vic Silayan in Kisapmata. He was suppose to enter a room carrying a gun. Silayan entered, eyes rolling, yelling, waving his arms about, classic contrabida style. Mike pulled him aside and told him to just walk in, don't do anything else but walk in. He did, and it's one of the most frightening moments in the film.

Oh, and I hear he courts his actresses and collaborators outrageously--sends them flowers and stuff. Women have crushes on him, believe it or not. Ask Charo Santos.  ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 08:25 PM »
I read another thing about Vic Silayan and Kisapmata. They were rehearsing the scene where Vic's character suffers from a migraine headache.  Charito Solis, hesitantly, fearfully, hands him a bag of ice which he grabs unexpectedly. This, literally, scared the hell out of everybody on the set. Mike de Leon replied: "Oh, Vic, medyo napaaga ata..." But in the end,  Vic Silayan interpreted the scene differently.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2004 at 08:30 PM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 09:03 PM »

Oh, and I hear he courts his actresses and collaborators outrageously--sends them flowers and stuff. Women have crushes on him, believe it or not. Ask Charo Santos.  ;D

Ayon kay Charo, mentor lang daw niya si mike... ::)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 02:57 PM »

Ayon kay Charo, mentor lang daw niya si mike... ::)

Ha!  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 10:19 PM »
On KISAPMATA....its sad to know that only Charo Santos is the sole survivor among the major cast.  :(

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 07, 2004 at 06:57 PM »
"Sabi ng mga tao, may topak daw ako. Totoo yun."

-Mike de Leon to Joel Torre
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2004 at 06:58 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera