Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271199 times)

Offline tidus1203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #120 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:12 AM »
the LCD gang has the momentum.  I guess LCD technology has not yet matured while plasma is in its maturity already....

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 03:01 PM »
can we create a poll for your preference? CRT, RPTV, Plasma or LCD?

can't seem to create one. :( this is it'll be easier to view the preferences of the members in a graph.

thanks!

In the meantime, maybe this tech news can be useful:

Bright future for LCD TVs in Asia
Clement James, vnunet.com 27 Feb 2007

2006 sales in Asian region:

1. LCD - 40%
2. CRT - 39%
3. Plasma - 18%
4. Rear projector - 3%

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/vnunet/news/2184265/lcd-tvs-asia

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007 at 03:02 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 07:33 PM »
i have no doubt lcd outsells plasma, but for accuracy, the report should have made a comparison also in terms of size sold considering that plasma market is really smaller due to size and price, correct me if im wrong ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #123 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:25 AM »
i have no doubt lcd outsells plasma, but for accuracy, the report should have made a comparison also in terms of size sold considering that plasma market is really smaller due to size and price, correct me if im wrong ;)

You're right, there should also be a segmented stat according to size/price. Plasmas are only at the 42" and up size.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:43 AM »

it may be a matter of time before lcd achieves plasma pq, with the kind of war chest they have put on it.  by that time hopefully we all have enough to buy the 'new' tv and say goodbye to our old 'reference' tv...until then....but not yet, not yet  :D

LCD is trying to achieve Plasma's color latitude and response time.   Sharp, Samsung and Sony may be able to tweak the response time, and in many viewing cases the relatively slower response times of LCDs are almost unnoticeable, but I don't think they'll be able to match the plasma color.  Probably SED but the big question is when and at what price?

CRT or Plasma for TV, cable and DVD viewing.    There is not a single HDTV in cutting edge Japan that beats the Panasonic Viera when viewing Star Wars Episode 3 DVD, and I would have to concede to that observation even though I own a Sharp 37V LCD.

LCD or Plasma for any form of HD signal.  "Sharper" perception against awesome color latitude.   Dim-lit viewing against well-lighted conditions. Your pick.

Whatever, LCDs are certainly outselling Plasmas (at least in Japan) by margins beyond recovery, but Panasonic still commands more than half of the lucrative Japanese market for plasma, the same way that Sharp does on the LCD.  
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:47 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:04 PM »
well after all the research and specs review, its all in the eyes of the owner, if they are too sensitive or not to the nitty bitty things on the panel, for as long as he enjoys what he decided to buy because he likes what he sees and not because thats what the majority was buying / told him, it should be no problem in the end ;)

the majority isnt always right, sometimes they just dont know what is good so they just go along with the crowd and what they're told, and convinces himself its the right decision because everybody is doing it, even cNet reviews are not consistent at all  :-[

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
LCD will win, of course, for the very simple reason of : PRICE.

Cheapest flat panel you can get for LCD is about 50k while 100k is the cheapest for plasma. Syempre lamang yung quantity ng masa who (wants to get the cheapest flat panel) can afford the 50k rather than the others who can afford the 100k. Regardless of screen size.

Parang sa election: habol nila MASA... :D
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:07 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline tylerdude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 10:37 AM »
i ended up getting a 42 inch panasonic plasma when all along, i've been looking at lcds. i was really disappointed with the 42 inch toshiba lcd when it was delivered that i had it exchanged for a plasma the next day. at this screen size, i think plasma is still ahead in the game against lcd. for 32 inch and lower, go for lcd.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:10 AM »
i ended up getting a 42 inch panasonic plasma when all along, i've been looking at lcds.

CONGRATS!  You won't regret it.  It's an amazing TV.

Sir tylerdude, we should have a separate thread for plasma panels.  Kawawa naman ang mga plasma owners, kokonti lang kasi tayo, e ;D ;D ;D , that's why I'm forced to browse US, UK and Australian forums; pero sa totoo lang, mas gusto ko pa rin sa pinoydvd.    :)
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:47 AM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
i ended up getting a 42 inch panasonic plasma when all along, i've been looking at lcds. i was really disappointed with the 42 inch toshiba lcd when it was delivered that i had it exchanged for a plasma the next day. at this screen size, i think plasma is still ahead in the game against lcd. for 32 inch and lower, go for lcd.

I ended with a plasma too, Hitachi 42PD8500TA, after extensive testing of LCD's. With just one demo, my mind changed and I decided to get the plasma instead. The picture quality is still better than the LCDs I've seen, especially that right now we still use SD-DVD and analog broadcast. I totally disregarded the issues being raised about plasmas especially burn-in. I dont even see any image retention everytime I watch.

I was fortunate that the price is within my set price point after haggling with the store.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
i was really disappointed with the 42 inch toshiba lcd when it was delivered that i had it exchanged for a plasma the next day.

Just curious:  Did you buy the Toshiba 42 LCD without a demo, or was the picture OK in the showroom but bad at home?

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
...we should have a separate thread for plasma panels.  Kawawa naman ang mga plasma owners, kokonti lang kasi tayo, e ;D ;D ;D , that's why I'm forced to browse US, UK and Australian forums; pero sa totoo lang, mas gusto ko pa rin sa pinoydvd.    :)

Hi barrister! How about you starting the thread for Plasmas? Your knowledge about plasma and credibility in this forum will give it a push, so that other plasma owners will share their experience and knowledge too. ;D

Offline tylerdude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 12:38 PM »
Just curious:  Did you buy the Toshiba 42 LCD without a demo, or was the picture OK in the showroom but bad at home?

i had seen it in demo and seems satisfied but when i connected by regular dvd player and played a region 1 dvd, the picture quality sucked! there was pixellation everywhere especially when i tried watching cable tv. my wife and i are not experts in lcd or plasma but we didnt like the quality at all. good thing the shop where i bought it from is flexible enough to exchange it with a plasma. the panasonic will be deliverd tom night but based from my testing using a standard dvd player and a pirated dvd, the picture quality is really way better than the lcd. i was worried about the power consumption but it's only a difference of about 40 watts to an lcd which i think is quite insignificant. and considering it is a 9th gen plasma already, im quite secure that those burn-in problems were resolved already.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
Hmm... baka hi-def video on a hard disc based player ang demo nila.  Pixellation?  Wow, that sounds really bad.  Now that you have a much better panel, I'll be looking forward to discussing with you some of the finer points such as motion judder and posterization ...  ;D

As to power consumption, OK lang from my experience.  I gave my Viera a 100 hour break in period (10 hours a day for 10 days), and power consumption was lower than expected.

As to burn in, I'm confident that the unit will not have this problem under normal usage due to Panasonic's developments in their panels' blue phosphors since their 7th gen panels.  However, burn in might still appear with abusive use.

Also, note that the Vieras from Panasonic Philippines are Japan units.  Sa States, Mexico made/assembled na; sa Australia, China made/assembled na.  Foreign forum members say that the Japan unit has a better picture quality. Does it really make a difference?  I don't know.  All I can say is that a Japan unit will inspire more confidence on the part of the buyer.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007 at 02:58 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 01:31 PM »
Hi barrister! How about you starting the thread for Plasmas? Your knowledge about plasma and credibility in this forum will give it a push, so that other plasma owners will share their experience and knowledge too. ;D

Thanks for the kind words!

Ok, let's start a new thread.  Gusto ko talagang mag-start, kaya lang baka naman apat na tao lang ang magpo-post doon  :D

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007 at 01:34 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
..., i think plasma is still ahead in the game against lcd.

that, in my opinion, is if you are going to use the HDTV to watch SD, VCD, DVD, cable TV and regular TV.  but if you have an HD DVD or BD player, HD broadcast or even HD home video, it's quite difficult to decide which HD impression looks better, very much subjective and a matter of personal preferences.

Anyways, congratulations on you purchase!  Panasonic is undoubtedly the best plasma out there. 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 01:59 PM »
but if you have an HD DVD or BD player, HD broadcast or even HD home video, it's quite difficult to decide which HD impression looks better, very much subjective and a matter of personal preferences.

That's right.   The best 1st-tier LCDs are also very good.  Depende talaga sa user and viewing environment.

Just remember that there's no such thing as a perfect display panel.  Plasma and LCD both have their own defects and drawbacks.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Mar 07, 2007 at 06:29 PM »
hi tyler, what toshiba model did you replace with what panasonic model? happy viewing with your pana! 

Offline parak

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 09:48 PM »
Hi. Before I bought my Pioneer Plasma. I was really leaning towards LCD based on research. But all of that changed when i did a side by side comparison between sony LCD and pioneer plasma. All default settings, same player, same disc, same connections. No competition really (sorry alam ko madaming magagalit sakin) ang layo talaga ng difference, plasma was way more better when it comes to movies. Kulay pa lang laki na diff.

All i am saying is, no matter what kind of paper research you do, nothing compares to actually seeing the unit in action. Just find a store that will help you with a side by side comparison. I did mine at Western in pasay road.

peace!!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 10:03 PM »
Well, malayo talaga pag standard DVD ang source. (Hindi kita kinokontra, ha.  Plasma owner din ako  ;D)

Pero pag high def ang source nila pareho, malapit na malapit na rin, especially kung top tier plasma vs. top tier LCD.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 10:14 PM »

All i am saying is, no matter what kind of paper research you do, nothing compares to actually seeing the unit in action. Just find a store that will help you with a side by side comparison. I did mine at Western in pasay road.

ditto  ;D did mine actually on several stores ;D wasnt keen on it bec of the price, but the salesguy told me to try the pio since im still not satisfied with all those i was demo-ing (all the top tier brands both LCD & PD) and voila! Satisfied!

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 10:15 PM »
how's your cable viewing experience by the way?

Offline parak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
how's your cable viewing experience by the way?

i dont know yet because i did not hook it up to my cable. I rarely watch local channels na eh. I watch tv shows on the computer that is hooked up to my plasma. :)

Offline parak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
Well, malayo talaga pag standard DVD ang source. (Hindi kita kinokontra, ha.  Plasma owner din ako  ;D)

Pero pag high def ang source nila pareho, malapit na malapit na rin, especially kung top tier plasma vs. top tier LCD.

talaga? buti na lang madami ako standard dvds para talagang sulit yung plasma ko  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 11:53 PM »
Sa DVD, advantage talaga sa plasma.  Kaya nga nag plasma EDTV lang ako, kasi wala pa akong balak mag HD-DVD/Blu ray.

Sa high def video, malapit na sila, pero mas maganda pa rin ang plasma.  Better black level in a dark room, better shadow detail, better image depth and better color accuracy.  All around more natural, film-like look for movies.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2007 at 03:54 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
Bright future for LCD TVs in Asia
Clement James, vnunet.com 27 Feb 2007

2006 sales in Asian region:

1. LCD - 40%
2. CRT - 39%
3. Plasma - 18%
4. Rear projector - 3%

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/vnunet/news/2184265/lcd-tvs-asia

You're right, there should also be a segmented stat according to size/price. Plasmas are only at the 42" and up size.

Wala kasi akong nakikitang data at the time of my Feb. 28 post.  Pero meron na pala ngayon:

Plasma Big-Screen Leader In '06
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 3/12/2007

PORTLAND, ORE. — Plasma TVs outsold all other display technologies in the 40-inch-plus screen sizes in the United States during full year 2006, according to a market research report issued by Quixel Research.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6423470.html?industryid=23106
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2007 at 02:54 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 06:30 PM »
nice data find barrister, more info better knowledge for everyone  ;) at least hindi pa tayo laos ;D

Offline tidus1203

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 10:12 PM »
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/03/09/lcd_or_plasma_/index.html

A nice read regarding the LCD vs Plasma debate....  The article is kinda old but in general still reliable.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the link...  it's quite an eye opener.

=========================================

Here's a funny article.  It's a reaction to Sony Australia's press release in January declaring that LCD won against plasma.  Sony Australia deputy managing director said, "The LCD vs. plasma debate is over ... Consumers and retailers alike are showing their increased understanding of which technology is best for a future that's in high definition".  (Yabang kasi ng Sony, marami tuloy naaasar)

Medyo biased Sony & LCD basher, but still very amusing:

LCD versus Plasma, trash talking continues in the phony format war 
By Adam Turner     
Monday, 19 March 2007

Sony would have you believe LCD and plasma are locked in a struggle to the death, but figures reveal the big screen war is being fought on two distinct fronts.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/10566/1085/
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007 at 09:43 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #149 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 09:52 PM »
Haha funny talaga si SONY. I think their top brass ate too much & have nothing better to do.  ::)