Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270433 times)

Offline thefeeder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #870 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:37 PM »
for fun:

For those who believe in Fung Shui:

Most Fung Shui books state that you must avoid reflective surfaces like mirrors and TV's in your bedroom (facing the bed), or it disrupts the harmony between you & your spouse.

Plasma TV's have reflective surfaces. LCD's non reflective surface is the loophole  ;D

So if you are always fighting with your spouse, maybe its time to switch to LCD, hehehe.  :D

P.S. I seldom fight with my spouse! Must be the LCD or my favourite saying "Yes dear!"  ;D.

Lolz, great reply. :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
Confucius say: Harmony with spouse for the next 20 years is better than 2 hours of great PQ a day... :D ;D

MATZtER say: Dont forget to say: "YES DEAR".  ;D

and... once that TV is in your house, with no other TV beside it to compare to like in the shops, its the most beautiful TV ever.

Right?  8)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:55 PM »
Most Fung Shui books state that you must avoid reflective surfaces like mirrors and TV's in your bedroom (facing the bed), or it disrupts the harmony between you & your spouse.

When were most Fung Shui books written?  Before the TV was invented?

Na-reminisce ko tuloy yung mga mirrors sa ceiling ng motel.   If anything, it disrupted my attention quite often  ;D

One thing I'm starting to feel as I age is that having a TV in the bedroom is not in harmony with a restful night.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #873 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 05:14 PM »
Confucius say: Harmony with spouse for the next 20 years is better than 2 hours of great PQ a day... :D ;D

and... once that TV is in your house, with no other TV beside it to compare to like in the shops, its the most beautiful TV ever.

Right?  8)

ika nga nila " A happy wife , is a happy life" Better talaga na NO tv sa bedroom ;D

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #874 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 06:00 PM »

P.S. I seldom fight with my spouse! Must be the LCD or my favourite saying "Yes dear!"  ;D.

hehe..this is the best if you have SARS fever ;D Everything approve, approve and approve ;D

So if you are always fighting with your spouse, maybe its time to switch to LCD, hehehe.  :D

Thats why I have 2 lcds, Double the love, double the satisfaction ;D

Offline vimperial

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
Hi guys,

tanong ko lang ang viewing angle, i notice that smaller LCD kapag you tried to view from below, medyo madilim na.. is this an indicator that you have a poor panel? 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
Hi guys,
tanong ko lang ang viewing angle, i notice that smaller LCD kapag you tried to view from below, medyo madilim na.. is this an indicator that you have a poor panel? 

The term "poor" is rather drastic and needs to be qualified, pero ganon na nga ang indication.   LCDs with "narrow" viewing angle horizontally and vertically (usually 160 degrees) are the cheapest LCD technologies available at the moment. But they are quite good for gaming due to fast response times.  Highest quality and most expensive LCDs used for high end PC monitors and good quality HDTVs have maximum viewing angle of 178 degrees from all orientations.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #877 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
The term "poor" is rather drastic and needs to be qualified, pero ganon na nga ang indication.   LCDs with "narrow" viewing angle horizontally and vertically (usually 160 degrees) are the cheapest LCD technologies available at the moment. But they are quite good for gaming due to fast response times.  Highest quality and most expensive LCDs used for high end PC monitors and good quality HDTVs have maximum viewing angle of 178 degrees from all orientations.
yep those from dell and hp to be specific  :)
but then again those computer monitors are really for pc use and not built for ht .. you cant expect too much from them .. by the way they are at best when it comes to viewing docs etc.
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #878 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM »

Right?  8)

LOL. I think that this is pretty much a universal statement to all of us here who are married. Icing na lang on the cake if you and your spouse share the same passion for HT, audio or video. So kung strategy ang hanap nyo mga singles dyan, look for a gf who has the same passion.  ;D This way, meron ka ng SARS vaccine to begin with.  ;D ;D ;D If you do end up putting a tv in your bedroom, try to make sure na walang cable, antenna lang. And no other video source/s. ;D

I just visited an appliance store at Galleria yesterday while my wife is shopping...ganun talaga. If you leave it to the sales guy, LCD is what they will promote. At first I acted like it is my first time to see a flat panel up close. hehehe. If I were just a "typical consumer" wanting to upgrade to hi-def and I will base my choice from these statements, what do you think will be my final choice?
( First of all, the LCD's on display outnumber plasmas 10:1 )

1) Konti na lang ang plasma now Sir. LCD na ang bago.
2) Mas maganda talaga ang color ng LCD.
3) 720 lang yang plasma Sir. 1080 na ung LCD.
4) Mas madaming bumibili ng LCD Sir.
5) Mas friendly sa environment ang LCD Sir.
6) Mas mataas ang resolution ng LCD Sir.

After around 15 minutes of letting the sales guy talk about the LCD, I mentioned to him that I am already an owner of a 46W300 Bravia. So, I ended up looking at the 42pv8. His reply: "Maganda din yan Sir, yung black nya mas ok sa LCD" and "mas ok daw yan kung sa madilim na room mo gagamitin".

Well, as the story goes, I'm sure this is a normal scenario at the store. And very dependent on the information that you'll get from the sales personnel who is on duty.

IMO, if you are hunting for a flat display panel, as stated here numerous times: Take your time and don't buy on impulse, determine your primary application, audition your two or three choices, know the pros and cons of your final choice, then make the purchase and "live with the cons of your final choice"..and "be happy with the pros of your final choice" at the same time.

If you can't decide what pros to enjoy and what cons to live with, save up and buy both technology.
Might as well include a PJ on your plan coz this is also a great choice. ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
Might as well include a PJ on your plan coz this is also a great choice.

Pag ako nainis at nagsawa sa pagpili, I might just end up doing this.  ;D ;D

Offline unintentinal

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #880 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 08:57 PM »
PJ?

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #881 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 10:17 PM »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #882 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 05:48 AM »
After around 15 minutes of letting the sales guy talk about the LCD, I mentioned to him that I am already an owner of a 46W300 Bravia. So, I ended up looking at the 42pv8. His reply: "Maganda din yan Sir, yung black nya mas ok sa LCD" and "mas ok daw yan kung sa madilim na room mo gagamitin".

Well, as the story goes, I'm sure this is a normal scenario at the store. And very dependent on the information that you'll get from the sales personnel who is on duty.
wow buybust .. :D
talk about "urong sulong" .. ;D ;D
but you cant blame these people .. one way or another .. they have to sell .. :)

ika nga ni blondie eh ..
One way or another, I'm gonna find ya'
I'm gonna get ya', get ya', get ya', get ya'
One way or another, I'm gonna win ya'
I'm gonna get ya', get ya' ,get ya', get ya'
;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008 at 05:50 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #883 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:02 PM »
wow buybust .. :D
talk about "urong sulong" .. ;D ;D
but you cant blame these people .. one way or another .. they have to sell .. :)

ika nga ni blondie eh ..
One way or another, I'm gonna find ya'
I'm gonna get ya', get ya', get ya', get ya'
One way or another, I'm gonna win ya'
I'm gonna get ya', get ya' ,get ya', get ya'
;D ;D

Napakanta ako ah. ;D
Yup. Not blaming sales personnel at all. Ganun talaga. Whatever information they are fed with by marketing guys, sales management and other customers, including their own experiences will be the norm deciding factor/s for a typical consumer. That's why, IMO, our second best bet, that is if you can't decide what technology to purchase is to "trust" the recommendations of the experienced majority here at pdvd. Sabi nga, follow the footsteps of those who are successful in what they do. Check out their HT galleries and the contents of their contributions to the different threads. The worst case is, you will experience the same "cons" and enjoy the same "pros" the more experienced members are having or had with their choices. That's not so bad.  ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #884 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
Napakanta ako ah. ;D
Yup. Not blaming sales personnel at all. Ganun talaga. Whatever information they are fed with by marketing guys, sales management and other customers, including their own experiences will be the norm deciding factor/s for a typical consumer. That's why, IMO, our second best bet, that is if you can't decide what technology to purchase is to "trust" the recommendations of the experienced majority here at pdvd. Sabi nga, follow the footsteps of those who are successful in what they do. Check out their HT galleries and the contents of their contributions to the different threads. The worst case is, you will experience the same "cons" and enjoy the same "pros" the more experienced members are having or had with their choices. That's not so bad.  ;D
yup .. you cant get em all pros unless you buy em all .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #885 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:55 PM »

August 21, 2008 12:31 PM PDT
Plasma TV on the rebound?
Posted by Erica Ogg

DisplaySearch is reporting that shipments of plasma worldwide increased 52 percent from the same quarter a year ago, or 3.4 million units. That's way behind LCD TV shipments, but it's encouraging for a technology that many of the biggest vendors had basically left for dead.

Plasma shipments are on the rise everywhere, but they are particularly healthy in China, where they rose 285 percent in the last year.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10021645-1.html

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #886 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 02:04 PM »
Posted by Erica Ogg

DisplaySearch is reporting that shipments of plasma worldwide increased 52 percent from the same quarter a year ago, or 3.4 million units. That's way behind LCD TV shipments, but it's encouraging for a technology that many of the biggest vendors had basically left for dead.

Plasma shipments are on the rise everywhere, but they are particularly healthy in China, where they rose 285 percent in the last year.

hmm rptvs are still selling? :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #887 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 12:40 AM »
plasma vs lcd below both 2megs

bluray source w/both the same 1.3 hdmi cable.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #888 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 12:53 AM »
Which is which sir? Hulaan ko Lcd yung nasa taas at Plasma yung nasa baba?  ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #889 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 05:49 AM »
plasma vs lcd below both 2megs

bluray source w/both the same 1.3 hdmi cable.

san nakadisplay ito bro?
ninjababez online ..

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #890 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:38 AM »
Posted by Erica Ogg

hehe sa China pa lang buhay na plasma. With the greatest population in the world!

Offline Bolshoie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #891 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
Which is which sir? Hulaan ko Lcd yung nasa taas at Plasma yung nasa baba?  ;D

saw  this on the theaterworks thread

Plasma yung sa taas LCD sa baba

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #892 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 03:37 PM »
saw  this on the theaterworks thread

Plasma yung sa taas LCD sa baba

The plasma has a much natural skin tone,.. ang ganda talaga...!

Plasma still..!

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #893 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 04:38 PM »

Sa akin naman, thanks for changing the lcd into plasma dear kawawa naman yung mga mata ng kids eh... :D.....Out goes the 32 hitachi.....

peace Mat. ;)

plasma pa din! :D

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #894 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
san nakadisplay ito bro?

Sa Trinoma bro, naka side by side. I'll post pics din Tohsiba na full Hd vs the full of the new panny. :)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #895 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 08:37 PM »
Sa Trinoma bro, naka side by side. I'll post pics din Tohsiba na full Hd vs the full of the new panny. :)

Please do Jeff, really want to see them side by side,..

Cheers..!

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #896 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 04:15 PM »
1.  The LCD image tends to look sharper, cleaner, showing finer details.
2.  In general and unless you buy 50V or bigger panels or full HD panels, LCDs have higher native resolution than plasmas.
3.  The image is brighter, allowing you to do computing ang gaming under any lighting conditions.
4.  The panels are usually non-glare.
5.  Gaming monitors are usually smaller than HDTV and plasmas are not available below 32 inch. 
6.  Color accuracy is not at all critical with gaming and gamers would normally sit right in front of monitors.
7.  LCDs optimized for gaming can be manufactured using the cheapest LCD tech.
8.  LCDs are cooler.  How would you like to stick your face close to a space heater?

bro, hope your friend can share sample photoshots :-)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #897 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
Sa akin naman, thanks for changing the lcd into plasma dear kawawa naman yung mga mata ng kids eh... :D.....Out goes the 32 hitachi.....

peace Mat. ;)

plasma pa din! :D

LOL, the house project I told you will push through, so when the time comes, out goes the 32 hitachi indeed!

And of course, I will buy another TV from you, but LCD pa rin! hehehe  :D

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008 at 04:25 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #898 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 05:52 PM »
I vote for plasma.  And I believe plasma is the closest to HD-CRTs PQ (which is my gauge). I have also tried watching 40'' LCD and Pany PV7 side by side, and I like the PQ of plasma better specially the skin tone.

Plasma all the way

Power consumption nga lang ang problem hehe :P
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008 at 06:15 PM by bachwitz »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #899 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
Yeah, I appreciate that skin tones look better on a plasma because of the warmer colors.  But haven't you noticed that TV personalities and movie stars look soooooooooooo much whiter in person than on TV.  Pati si Bayani Agbayani mamula mula complexion sa personal ne.   So which TV tech is closest to real skin tone then?    ;D ;D