Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270439 times)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #1020 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
I recently saw a Samsung 52 inch A650 at Anson's near Podium and you're right ... PQ was really amazing.

The only caveat is that the customer has no idea what kind of video data is being displayed.  You can't even see what kind of player is hooked up.  It's definitely HD, but program material is a Samsung promo clip, not a commercial movie. 

If that thing can play a commercial movie in a compressed DVD-5 disc while maintaining a similar picture quality, bilib na talaga ako.  :o

I move over to the Panasonic displays.  They're playing a standard DVD movie.  PQ is terrible.  Disc is probably a pirated local DVD-5; the pirate source seems to be an AVI to DVD convert with dropped frames due to faulty framerate conversion.   

Comparing the Sammy LCD vs. the Panny plasma ---- the Sammy picture is astounding; the Panny picture is an embarrassing mess.

No wonder the average consumer avoids plasmas.

Sir, not to add to the fact na kahit mismong ang mga salesman ang naninira sa plasma,...

just another question, which does cost more to build..? An LCD or a Plasma..?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1021 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM »
Sir, not to add to the fact na kahit mismong ang mga salesman ang naninira sa plasma,...

i think it was barrister who posted way back that lcdtv is more expensive to make
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1022 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM »

That's true, pero dati, puro daldal lang sila.  Ngayon, puwede nang ipakita sa iyo kung gaanong kaganda ang Samsung LCD, at puwedeng makumbinse kahit yung mga videophile.

BTW, the best LCDs I see at the malls these days are the Samsungs with glossy screens.  Mas maitim talaga ang black levels at mas maganda ang colors.  Pag non-reflective LCD screens, mas maputla ang blacks, mas maputla rin ang colors.

Production costs are cheaper for plasma.  

That's why big LCDs are much more expensive than a similar-sized plasma.  It's not that the big LCDs are overpriced, it's just that they really are more expensive to produce.  

For LCD, the technological challenge is producing a big LCD display panel without defects.  For a 1080p panel, the process must ensure that all of the more than six million transistors etched on the LCD glass substrate are fully functional and defect-free.  Rejects due to defective pixels add immensely to production costs.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
Thank you for that info sir,...

As far as I see it, it is a losing battle for our beloved Plasma,
the trend of the current market is on the LCDs,
besides nga po sa nasabi ninyo na patuloy na gumaganda ang quality ng mga panels nila ngayon.

Another question, if we talk about the price per inch factor, which panel wins..?

I mean, medyo malayo pa kasi ang pricing ng LCD and plasma right...?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM »
As far as I see it, it is a losing battle for our beloved Plasma,
the trend of the current market is on the LCDs,
besides nga po sa nasabi ninyo na patuloy na gumaganda ang quality ng mga panels nila ngayon.

Yes, malaki na ang improvement, pero not quite there yet.

Pansinin ang mga Samsung displays, laging nakatago ang player.  :D  Magpakita sila ng standard DVD playback, kung matapang sila ...  :D

In the meantime, Panasonic should improve their presentation at the malls.  Improvement should be really easy, considering the present state of their showroom displays.

Another question, if we talk about the price per inch factor, which panel wins..?

I mean, medyo malayo pa kasi ang pricing ng LCD and plasma right...?

Price per inch, siyempre naman mas mura ang plasma. 

The casual buyers think LCD is cheaper because they always compare a 32-inch LCD vs. a 42-inch plasma.   :P
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM by barrister »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 01:00 PM »
Thanks for the input sir...

Appreciate it...

ABC

Offline momay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 01:47 PM »
saw demo of 42PV8 and 42PV80 at MOA. the PV8 panel was fed through HDMI and the PV80 with composite. i heard 1 bystander saying to the PV80 "ang pangit na nga ng video mas mahal pa". well what can i say.

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1027 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 02:22 PM »
i got 4 lcds, and 0 plasma

lcd is the best for me...
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1028 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 03:02 PM »
saw demo of 42PV8 and 42PV80 at MOA. the PV8 panel was fed through HDMI and the PV80 with composite. i heard 1 bystander saying to the PV80 "ang pangit na nga ng video mas mahal pa". well what can i say.

salamat sa pdvd at hindi tayo uninformed customers!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #1029 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 06:09 PM »
Opposite case ko sa yo Carlo.  My first HDTV was an LCD (Sharp) in 2005 because that time I really thought the PQ of Plasma sucked mainly because they were too dark, they lacked resolution, the meshed look was very very very very pronounced, and then most of the high def contents were variety shows, sports programs, TV dramas, and documentaries.  Occasioanal palang yung high def movies on TV.

Paglabas ng 7 series ng Plasma resolution was no longer an issue provided you can afford the full HD panels and the meshed look was significantly reduced.  But I personally thought the biggest leap of the Plasma so far was the 8 series of Panasonic when the PQ finally became "bright" enough, and of course, the Kuro last year.  Tapos nasabayan ba ng adventures ko in the mkv world at the latter part of 2007.

Right now, I think lamang ang Plasma sa movies pero sa high def variety shows and sports programs - tabla.   Bale depende sa type ng high def camera na ginagamit and sa lighting.   Sa PC applications, LCD pa rin kase non reflective yung screen and mas comfortable kung maliwanag yung room.  For high def gaming, subjective din whether type mo yung PC game look (LCD) or high def CRT look (without considering yung concerns about burn-in) so I'd consider it tabla too.

Regarding naming, sa Japan cool ang LCD.  We call it EXIO here.  So which sounds more star wars - PURASUMA or EKI-SHOU?    ;D

BTW Carlo, dehins pumayag si Kumander about the CRT HDTV.  It's not the offer (it was fair) but sa Philippines daw, talagang CRT pa rin sya for cable viewing and then yung PC for mkvs.  Sorry.  But to answer your enquiries, yes 220V, yes auto-channeling, yes 720p and 1080i through component video (fully tested with HD DVD movies and Xbox360 games - havent tested with mkvs though kase wala akong NMT)

:'( :'( :'(

Thanks anyway! Meron offer ang SnS and will post it sa CRT thread para di tayo ma O.T

@everybody

About plasma, how long do you think this format will last? Or do you think it will go down the road of being like the HD-CRT - A soon to be hard to find "enthusiast" gear. Will plasma go beyond 2009? I do hope so, I don't like the idea of a single dominant format leaving us with little choices.

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2193
« Reply #1030 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 07:41 PM »
Last December, I was looking to buy (deadset na) a Sony or Samsung LCD na. Searched endlessly on the web for reviews. Tested units na. Tumambay na sa halos lahat ng TV retailers in practically all the malls and asked the same questions again and again. Also, got good pricing for various models na (through direct sellers). Went to some of my friends din just to view their LCD units. Basta wala nang makakapigil kumbaga sa LCD budget ko, biling bili na ako.
Galit na nga missis ko dahil wala na akong bukang bibig kundi LCD LCD at LCD (parang dibidi dibidi dibidi na nga e)!

I ended up buying the Panasonic 42PV80  ;D.

Hehehe and I'm so happy with it!
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 07:43 PM by thebat »
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM »

Production costs are cheaper for plasma.  

That's why big LCDs are much more expensive than a similar-sized plasma.  It's not that the big LCDs are overpriced, it's just that they really are more expensive to produce.  

Howdy Attorney.  :) If this is the case, do you have any idea why a Samsung a650 52 inch lcd is 25k cheaper than a Panasonic 50PY800?  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:46 PM by danrd »

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM »
with the new series going to be released by panasonic. i strongly believe that plasma will go beyond 2009. the world is in the financial crisis affecting all aspects of elelctronics. im sure the high cost of production for a single LCD panel will cause manufacturers to lessen their production.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM by momay »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM »
with the new series going to be released by panasonic. i strongly believe that plasma will go beyond 2009. the world is in the financial crisis affecting all aspects of elelctronics. im sure the high cost of production for a single LCD panel will cause manufacturers to lessen their production.

Yes I hope so!

I'd be willing to upgrade my present plasma's if:

They are able to finally fix the phosphor lag, I'm sorry I can really see this issue and I guess Plasma would be "close to perfection" if they can just work on that.

Is there any new developments in plasma technology? Like I mean, LCD pixel response times are getting faster, viewing angles are getting better and better, color reproduction is improving. Stuff like that, so far from plasma I can see that contrast ratio's are getting to really high levels (which is also a very very good thing).

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:59 PM »
Howdy Attorney.  :) If this is the case, do you have any idea why a Samsung a650 52 inch lcd is 25k cheaper than a Panasonic PY800?  :)

Kamusta brader ...

Full HD kasi ang PY800.  

Full HD is common for 52-inch LCDs.  But for similar-sized plasmas, the common resolution is 1366 x 768.  A full HD 50-inch plasma is already a high-end model.

It's harder to produce a full HD plasma panel, because each pixel, which is a cell that contains xenon and neon gas, would have to be made smaller on a 1080p panel.

On the other hand, it's easier to make small pixels on LCD screens, which can be as small as the screen on a cellphone.  

There are other factors that can affect cost-selling price ratios.  One of them is overproduction, which forces the manufacturer to sell at a loss in an effort to get rid of inventory.  
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM by barrister »

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM »
Kamusta brader ...

Full HD kasi ang PY800.  It's harder to produce a full HD plasma panel, because each pixel, which is a cell that contains xenon and neon gas, would have to be made smaller on a 1080p panel.

On the other hand, it's easier to make small pixels on LCD screens, which can be as small as the screen on a cellphone.  

Full HD is common for 52-inch LCDs.  But for similar-sized plasmas, the common resolution is 1366 x 768.  A full HD 50-inch plasma is already a high-end model.

There are other factors that can affect cost-selling price ratios.  One of them is overproduction, which forces the manufacturer to sell at a loss in an effort to get rid of inventory.  

Ang tindi sa detalye.  ;) I had to ask this because both units are on a neck-to-neck battle in terms of PQ. I know you are a pro plasma. But If you were to choose between the two, which one would it be and why. I already had a long discussion with Carlo regarding this. Just wanna know your side.  :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM »
Ang tindi sa detalye.  ;) I had to ask this because both units are on a neck-to-neck battle in terms of PQ. I know you are a pro plasma. But If you were to choose between the two, which one would it be and why. I already had a long discussion with Carlo regarding this. Just wanna know your side.  :)

Hehe^

Sir, based on your needs and because you raised the fact that you don't want any "eye-strain", then that alone should lead you to the plasma route=) I'm not saying the A650 is an inferior T.V, in fact it's very good but believe me the "softer" definition of plasma will tide you over.

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 07:59 AM »
Hehe^

Sir, based on your needs and because you raised the fact that you don't want any "eye-strain", then that alone should lead you to the plasma route=) I'm not saying the A650 is an inferior T.V, in fact it's very good but believe me the "softer" definition of plasma will tide you over.

Yep, in fact I'm still holding on to what we have discussed. Maybe what I need is a side by side showdown.  :) Thanks again Carlo.

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 08:42 AM »
just my observation...not starting a war

most free-to-air TV broadcasts here are in HD specially sports.  NFL finals was awesome - so clear it's just like watching bluray. my plasma panel (PX-50XR5W) is only 1365x768 and displays top PQ (games/movies/tv).  i went to a friend's house and watched NBA HD on her 46" samsung full hd latest series lcd and the PQ is nowehere near my display - even my 29" pixel plus CRT looks better. but playing xbox360 was good.  i said to myself, no way i'm buying lcd until such time it's PQ will meet my taste. a lot of my colleagues asked lcd or plasma although they are leaning towards lcd because they said the PQ was really good in the shop's display.  i just told them, go back to the shops, get the salesperson to put in free-to-air TV HD broadcast on an LCD panel instead of the HD sampler and then decide because most of their time is not spent on watching blu/dvd.   

...they all bought plasma and loving every bit of it.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 09:03 AM »
Punta ka lang sa TV section ng any electronic retailer sa Tokyo, it's like "Panasonic and LCDs";  mukhang impossibleng matapos ang plasma until the world ends in 23 Dec 2012.   ;D.  Pioneer's eventual doom was pretty obvious since 2 years back based sa liit ng shelf space nila anywhere you go - pang enthusiast palagi ang atmosphere.   Panasonic's Plasma business is very very big and they are practically a monopoly.   The current losses are due to the worldwide financial crisis but pati LCD makers are suffering from the same.  Samsung, Sharp Sony are all down.  They are all on the same boat.   Kung meron mang matitirang player in the business, it has to be Panasonic.  They've managed to reduce the size of their Plasma to 37 and it is selling very well - it's not an impossibility for them to reduce it to 32 to meet the needs of common households even more.

Right now, dehins na straightforward i-gauge if Plasma is cheaper than LCD sa mainstream sizes (up to 50 or 52).  Clear pa rin yun distinction if you go to 65V pero sino naman bumibili non.   Dami kaseng competition in the LCD business and also mas maraming product grades.  For instance sa top-tier LCD makes, merong nang High-End" class, meron pang "Premium" class, tapos meron nang entry level model, meron pang standard.   Whilst Panasonic for instance, below PZ800, bagsak agad to stripped down full HD and then entry level na agad (parang 3 main meals lang - walang meryenda).   Sa Kuro, dalawa lang ang models (isang full HD, isang hindi).   Hanggang anong series ang Samsung? 3, 4 5, 6, 7, 8... - so may midnight snack pa???   ;)

If you compare lets say a PZ800 to the Premium model of Sharp, mahal nga lumalabas yung LCD but then compared to the High-End pareho lang ang level.  But in the end, the actual street price very much depends sa lakas ng benta ng particular model, instead na sa list price.

Not only side by side comparison, you should decide based on your application.  Sa Japan, sellers can easily and justifiably reason out that HDTVs are not designed for SD viewing - and all their demo units are in HD - and consumers accept that (as in who cares if an HDTV sucks in regular TV or DVD if it shines magnificently in high def) - and the local broadcast industry is gearing towards full HD.  You buy HDTV because you want to watch HD and you want to be future proof (for digital broadcasting). "Tomorrow's technology for today's/tomorrow's needs".   Yung "today" nga  lang will depend on the country.   But that kind of mentality is obviously not applicable to the rest of the world.   Mas demanding lumalabas yung "tomorrow's technology for yesterday's needs." - and makers cannot simply ignore that sa laki ng DVD market and lack of high def infrastructure.  So in my opinion, mas suitable ang Plasma sa Philippines.  

Other than improving the contrast ratio further and the color gamut as well as making the TV thinner and more energy efficient, it seems Panasonic is also into increasing the number of sub-fields of their panel.  

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 09:41 AM »
I know you are a pro plasma. But If you were to choose between the two, which one would it be and why. I already had a long discussion with Carlo regarding this. Just wanna know your side.  :)

I choose the Panasonic 50PY800.

Is this a Japan panel?  If so, that's another reason why it's expensive.

My Panny EDTV is the last Japan-made entry-level 42-inch Viera plasma (9th gen.).  No IR whatsover.  Pero napansin ko, starting with the 10th gen models, naging IR-prone na naman ang Viera entry level plasmas.  I think the PV7 & PV8 are Singapore-made.  

Ano balita sa mga PY800 regarding IR?  Less IR-prone than PV8, or pareho lang?  

As for Sammy 52A650 vs Panny 50PY800, sa plasma pa rin ako, so I choose the Panny PY800.

An LCD's picture will be sharper than a plasma's, but sharpness is not always a good thing.  

For videophiles, film grain is an integral part of the picture whenever it is intentionally present, and that grain must also be reproduced accurately.  Plasma is better on that score because it gives a more accurate rendition of film grain than LCD.  

On LCD, the picture is so sharp that even the film grain becomes sharper than intended, which tends to result in a picture that looks excessively grainy.  That's probably why complaints about excessive film grain are more likely to come from LCD owners rather than plasma owners.

Another aspect is image depth, a quality that makes the picture look like it's almost 3D.  The key to image depth is an accurate rendition of a blurred background, which plasma can easily do.  But with LCD, the image is so sharp that even the background blur is sharpened, resulting in a shallower image that ruins what should have been a 3D-like illusion.  

Plasma still has the green phosphor lag problem.  But most people can't see this artifact.  For the few who can see it, it's only a minor inconvenience.

On the other hand, LCD still has problems with uneven blacks due to the nature of its backlighting.  For me, uneven blacks is not a minor inconveniece but a major limitation of the LCD format.  Maybe the new LED backlight technology has solved the problem.  I'm waiting for more reviews about LED backlighting on the web.

The reference image should be the image in a movie theater.  Notice that a plasma's picture is still closer to film than an LCD.  That's why I still prefer plasma.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 at 09:46 AM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM »

My Panny EDTV is the last Japan-made entry-level 42-inch Viera plasma (9th gen.).  No IR whatsover.  Pero napansin ko, starting with the 10th gen models, naging IR-prone na naman ang Viera entry level plasmas.  I think the PV7 & PV8 are Singapore-made.  

Ano balita sa mga PY800 regarding IR?  Less IR-prone than PV8, or pareho lang?  

As for Sammy 52A650 vs Panny 50PY800, sa plasma pa rin ako, so I choose the Panny PY800.

An LCD's picture will be sharper than a plasma's, but sharpness is not always a good thing.  

For videophiles, film grain is an integral part of the picture whenever it is intentionally present, and that grain must also be reproduced accurately.  Plasma is better on that score because it gives a more accurate rendition of film grain than LCD.  

On LCD, the picture is so sharp that even the film grain becomes sharper than intended, which tends to result in a picture that looks excessively grainy.  That's probably why complaints about excessive film grain are more likely to come from LCD owners rather than plasma owners.

Another aspect is image depth, a quality that makes the picture look like it's almost 3D.  The key to image depth is an accurate rendition of a blurred background, which plasma can easily do.  But with LCD, the image is so sharp that even the background blur is sharpened, resulting in a shallower image that ruins what should have been a 3D-like illusion.  

Plasma still has the green phosphor lag problem.  But most people can't see this artifact.  For the few who can see it, it's only a minor inconvenience.

On the other hand, LCD still has problems with uneven blacks due to the nature of its backlighting.  For me, uneven blacks is not a minor inconveniece but a major limitation of the LCD format.  Maybe the new LED backlight technology has solved the problem.  I'm waiting for more reviews about LED backlighting on the web.

The reference image should be the image in a movie theater.  Notice that a plasma's picture is still closer to film than an LCD.  That's why I still prefer plasma.

amen  :D
btw my pv80 has both japanese and english manuals, does this mean it came from japan  ??? 
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM »

Eto di ko maintindihan.  I have the HD DVD of King Kong and I swear the Kong looks more 3D on the Sharp LCD than on the Panasonic Plasma (PZ800).  Parang lumalabas sa LCD screen si Kong.  Mas conscious ako sa depth of field when I do photography.

Meron IR yung PZ800 pero nawawala naman kaya hindi ko pinapansin.  Meron ba talagang plasma na walang IR? 

Panasonic Japan boasts that their products are Made In Japan.  Whether that means "assembled" in Japan or not, I don't know, but I think their full HD panels comes out from that ultra modern and "green" factory in Osaka.    Most likely the PY800 is Made in Japan as it looks the same as the Japanese model PZ80.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM »

Ano balita sa mga PY800 regarding IR?  Less IR-prone than PV8, or pareho lang?  

Comparing both my PV80 and PY800, mas I.R senstive yung PV80.

@ninjababez

Just check the back of your unit, it will say there where it's made. Both the PV8 and 80 are made in Singapore while the PY800 is still made in Japan.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM »
Comparing both my PV80 and PY800, mas I.R senstive yung PV80.

@ninjababez

Just check the back of your unit, it will say there where it's made. Both the PV8 and 80 are made in Singapore while the PY800 is still made in Japan.
i think its either singapore or malaysia  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 01:01 PM »
Eto di ko maintindihan.  I have the HD DVD of King Kong and I swear the Kong looks more 3D on the Sharp LCD than on the Panasonic Plasma (PZ800).  Parang lumalabas sa LCD screen si Kong.  Mas conscious ako sa depth of field when I do photography.

Impressive!  Kung ganon, magaling na nga pala talaga ang LCD, especially for HD video.

O baka mas bagay ang LCD pag CGI images?

Even in photography, sharpness is not always a good thing.  In portrait shots, nilalagyan ko pa nga minsan ng konting Gaussian Blur sa Photoshop.  Lalo na pag yung model mo ay hindi kagandahan ang cara, mas maganda ang effect pag medyo blurred, medyo natatago kasi ang katotohanan ...  :D.  But don't blur the eyes --- they should be very sharp.

Meron ba talagang plasma na walang IR? 

Wala pa akong nakikitang IR sa plasma ko.  Chine-check ko pa nga using the white screen sa plasma break-in disc, wala talaga.

Baka magkaroon din pag ginamit sa gaming, ewan ko lang.   

Siguro nga lahat ng plasma may IR.  Mas maganda sigurong sabihin na "less IR-prone" na lang ...  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 01:10 PM »
Last December, I was looking to buy (deadset na) a Sony or Samsung LCD na. Searched endlessly on the web for reviews. Tested units na. Tumambay na sa halos lahat ng TV retailers in practically all the malls and asked the same questions again and again. Also, got good pricing for various models na (through direct sellers). Went to some of my friends din just to view their LCD units. Basta wala nang makakapigil kumbaga sa LCD budget ko, biling bili na ako.
Galit na nga missis ko dahil wala na akong bukang bibig kundi LCD LCD at LCD (parang dibidi dibidi dibidi na nga e)!

I ended up buying the Panasonic 42PV80  ;D.

Hehehe and I'm so happy with it!

??? Why the sudden change of heart?

Pa-kuwento naman kung bakit nagbago ang isip mo.  I'm sure the reasons will be very enlightening.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
Impressive!  Kung ganon, magaling na nga pala talaga ang LCD, especially for HD video.

O baka mas bagay ang LCD pag CGI images?

Even in photography, sharpness is not always a good thing.  In portrait shots, nilalagyan ko pa nga minsan ng konting Gaussian Blur sa Photoshop.  Lalo na pag yung model mo ay hindi kagandahan ang cara, mas maganda ang effect pag medyo blurred, medyo natatago kasi ang katotohanan ...  :D.  But don't blur the eyes --- they should be very sharp.

Wala pa akong nakikitang IR sa plasma ko.  Chine-check ko pa nga using the white screen sa plasma break-in disc, wala talaga.

Baka magkaroon din pag ginamit sa gaming, ewan ko lang.   

Siguro nga lahat ng plasma may IR.  Mas maganda sigurong sabihin na "less IR-prone" na lang ...  ;D

True sir! LCD has really taken a good leap but for me sometimes sa LCD masyadong lumilitaw yung "3-D" image na it kinda looks weird na it does not blend with the movie. Some actually like the effect bec it looks "high tech" lalo na when you switch on those "motion flow" features.

Anyway, regarding your observation that the newer lower end plasma's are more I.R sensitive I believe that bec the boyfriend of my sister owns an 8th generation plasma model number PX500 and it's pretty darn tuff when it comes to I.R. We're guessing, is it bec of the panel? Or dahil matagal na yung lifespan ng plasma that's why it's more resistant?

Salamat^

POST UPDATE:

I'm very happy now with what we have but my Japanese wife is doing a back track purchase, she wants an HD-CRT and now she wants me to look for this 42PX500 or kahit daw yung PY700. She says "having the latest does not mean you have the best", the py700 daw kasi has the FULL HD capabilities of the PY800 but it does not have the funky "frame creation".

Help naman guys, what do I tell her? Is she correct?

Arrrrghhhhhhh!!!

I never saw the green lag before she pointed it out to me...I was blithering happy to have not seen it in the 1st place. She was the one who pointed out the very very very very subtle motion blur sa Sony ng mom ko, she see's everything! When I do an impression, she would point out a particular scene and "bang" meron nga! Awwww man I'm rambling here.

Look I'm on my way to STARMALL, then maybe a short trip to older appliance stores sa cubao to look for a CRT in a day and age like this, my ,my have mercy! Sorry I'm O.T here...
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 at 02:09 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
so it is true that blind people are lucky   ::) ::)
i remembered barrister giving the timeframe for the movie day after tomorrow and irobot phospur lag scenes.
good thing i gave up after an hour of searching. :D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 02:29 PM »
Anyway, regarding your observation that the newer lower end plasma's are more I.R sensitive I believe that bec the boyfriend of my sister owns an 8th generation plasma model number PX500 and it's pretty darn tuff when it comes to I.R. We're guessing, is it bec of the panel? Or dahil matagal na yung lifespan ng plasma that's why it's more resistant?

I think it's the panel.  Maybe a hardware upgrade improved contrast ratio but at the same time adversely affected IR resistance. 

IR-resistance couldn't have been caused by the age of the TV.  Otherwise, they would have seen IR when it was new, then noticed that it became more IR-resistant as it aged.

In my case, no IR has ever been present on my TV, from the time I bought it until now.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 at 06:06 PM by barrister »