Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270441 times)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #270 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:06 AM »
i think the number of HDMI will only matter on where you will use the unit. As you said probably isa sa Video Player and the other sa Gaming. If ever naman that you bought a unit with a single HDMI input lang mayron naman available I think na HDMI switch that you can use.

the same case with me, got my unit last June and still diko pa tapos yung break-in period  ;) I just can't enjoy the widescreen DVD because I have to use the Screen Fit mode of the DVD Player to fill the whole screen.

but in eventually after the break-in period you are still ahead with the Plasma  ;)

Offline staind01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #271 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:18 AM »
 ???
why the need to break it in when burn in issues are a thing of the past in the latest generations of plasma tvs?  ???

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #272 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM »
i think the number of HDMI will only matter on where you will use the unit. As you said probably isa sa Video Player and the other sa Gaming. If ever naman that you bought a unit with a single HDMI input lang mayron naman available I think na HDMI switch that you can use.

the same case with me, got my unit last June and still diko pa tapos yung break-in period  ;) I just can't enjoy the widescreen DVD because I have to use the Screen Fit mode of the DVD Player to fill the whole screen.

but in eventually after the break-in period you are still ahead with the Plasma  ;)

same here bro! i always zoom in for now. hehe

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:44 PM »
???
why the need to break it in when burn in issues are a thing of the past in the latest generations of plasma tvs?  ???

yup. in my case peace of mind lang talaga  ;D

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
same here bro! i always zoom in for now. hehe

another option is play DVDs na 1.85 ang aspect ratio  ;) Toy Story 2 now on sale ng Viva is an example  ;)

Offline RPG

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 01:36 PM »
@vtec3, san nakakabili ng hdmi switch and how much?  tnks

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
another option is play DVDs na 1.85 ang aspect ratio  ;) Toy Story 2 now on sale ng Viva is an example  ;)

yup bro i was playing my monsters inc dvd! ganda nga ng dating ng colors pag animation! hehe

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 02:36 PM »
yup. in my case peace of mind lang talaga  ;D

yup same with me as a precaution narin...sayang din ang investment natin...hehe  ;D

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:58 PM »
@vtec3, san nakakabili ng hdmi switch and how much?  tnks

NOW available HDMI switch box w/ remote

sa Theaterworks mayron  ;)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #279 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 09:57 PM »
another query, for LCD owners.

what kind of settings (contrast, brightness etc) do you have at home? whenever i do a side by side comparison of an LCD and a plasma, i always think that the plasma is easier on the eyes.  I was told by a store owner that it is because the settings of the LCD are all 'maximized' when inside the store (max brightness, contrast etc), to better show off its PQ.

If such is the case, , is it correct to say that when you are watching at home, you cannot watch tv using these settings for long periods of time, because it will cause too much strain to your eyes? thus, you have to lower the settings. if so, does this mean lower PQ?

also, isn't the same being done for the plasma tvs on display?

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 12:22 AM »
@vtec3,

sorry for the late reply. i haven't been into this thread for quite some time :)

anyway, based on the spec sheets, hitachi has an advantage nga over the panasonic. i guess i have to see them myself...

one thing that got my attention on the hitachi is the 1024 x 1080 resolution, the highest among all plasma tvs and near full hd quality na...

have you already seen the lower model of the 9800? the 9500? how does it compare to the former? i am after the video quality, it has the same specs minus the other feats (motorized swivel, sd card, usb...etc) i think i won't be able to use them naman and would save me money to buy an hd player :D

9800, 9500 and pv70 lang naman na ang options ko...i wanna shift to plasma na coz i already tried the LCD, and currently using one... :D

Ye Boy! :p

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 06:30 AM »
bakit walang hitachi pd99 series o yun panasonic pz70 series dito locally? mukhang masmaganda mga models nito.

napadaan ako sa appliance fair ng automatic and saw the tv's almost side by side.
what caught my eye is the LG LC3D, maganda ba unit nito?

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 08:54 AM »
@vtec3,

sorry for the late reply. i haven't been into this thread for quite some time :)

anyway, based on the spec sheets, hitachi has an advantage nga over the panasonic. i guess i have to see them myself...

one thing that got my attention on the hitachi is the 1024 x 1080 resolution, the highest among all plasma tvs and near full hd quality na...

have you already seen the lower model of the 9800? the 9500? how does it compare to the former? i am after the video quality, it has the same specs minus the other feats (motorized swivel, sd card, usb...etc) i think i won't be able to use them naman and would save me money to buy an hd player :D

9800, 9500 and pv70 lang naman na ang options ko...i wanna shift to plasma na coz i already tried the LCD, and currently using one... :D

I think the lowest model of the Hitachi now is the 9500 which is what I originally plan to buy. I see it at appliance store still at a very expensive price  ??? and they don't give justice to its true potential  ;) when I got the Hitachi the difference between the 9500 and 9800 is less than 10k, what made me decide to get the 9800 is the two tuner PIP  ;) Para kapag my wife is watching The Buzz and S Files pwede sila side by side  ;D  Very happy ako sa performance ng PD9800TA ko. You might want to visit the thread of Munskie also where he gave a detailed review of his PD9500TA.

I suggest you audition them side by side, last time nakita ko mayron sa Theaterworks.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 at 09:04 AM by vtec3 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
Prototype Sharp Aquos LCD TV:

Screen Size: 52 inches;
Thickness: 1 inch;
Contrast Ratio: 100,000:1
Connections: High Speed Wireless

http://www.techchee.com/2007/08/22/sharps-super-thin-lcd-tv-measures-20mm-thick-only/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/22/sharp.ultra.thin.lcd/

Sharp stuns IFA with 20mm-thick TVs
IFA 2007: Super flat LCD TVs have 100,000:1 contrast ratio
James Rivington
30 Aug 2007

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/tv/tvs-displays/lcd/news/sharp-stuns-ifa-with-20mm-thick-tvs?articleid=167680090

New LCD tech to kill off Plasma TVs
IFA 2007: Sharp says Plasma technology has nowhere to go
James Rivington
31 Aug 2007

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/tv/tvs-displays/lcd/news/new-lcd-tech-to-kill-off-plasma-tvs?articleid=581114836
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 at 12:33 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:52 PM »
Also at IFA 2007 Berlin (Internationale Funkausstellung):

IFA 2007: Samsung launch LED LCD TV
New technology boosts contrast to 500,000:1
by Stuart Miles
31 August 2007 3:12 GMT

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/9808/10832/samsung-led-lcd-tv-ifa.phtml
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 at 08:01 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #285 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 09:44 PM »
PC World: Plasma Beats LCD
The magazine tests both and picks a winner.

Washington, D.C. (September 28, 2007) -- Should you buy a LCD or Plasma flat-panel HDTV?

The debate rages on in living rooms and retail shops with advocates of both saying their fave offers a better picture at a better value.

But PC World is now declaring its winner: Plasma. At least in the 40-42 inch set range.

The publication recently tested 12 flat-panel sets between 40 and 42 inches and said three of the top four scoring sets for image quality were Plasma HDTVs. The sole LCD in the group was a Vizio model.

"The Plasma sets' good showing is all the more impressive when you consider that 1080p resolution is only just becoming common on sets of this size, and at this point is far more common on LCDs," the magazine states.

But PC World said 1080p "doesn't create a noticeable advantage--even with 1080i and 1080p source material."

The only 1080p commercial video now on the market are high-def discs from Blu-ray and HD DVD; the broadcast and cable channels are not in 1080p.
"So why would anyone buy an LCD TV? Because they're far less prone to image burn-in. Today's Plasma TVs don't suffer from this condition as much as older models did, and the damage is less likely to be permanent, but it's still a danger," PC World said.

The magazine added: "Whether burn-in becomes a problem depends on your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of standard-definition programs in 4-by-3 mode or if you spend most of your viewing time at stations that run a tickertape along the bottom of the screen, LCD makes the better choice."

PC World said Panasonic's TH-42PV700U 42-inch Plasma offered the best picture in its test group.

Source

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #286 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM »
TH-42PZ700U, this is the model I want - 1080p plasma.  Damn, $1500 lang sa Amazon.com.  How come they sell em so cheap in the US?  They've got more purchasing power there as it is!  >:(
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM »
$1,500 is about 80k peso only...that's indeed cheap!  :o  Is this model available na locally?

I'm sure the cost here will be at least 200k  :-[

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 04:11 PM »

Washington, D.C. (September 28, 2007) -- Should you buy a LCD or Plasma flat-panel HDTV?

The debate rages on in living rooms and retail shops with advocates of both saying their fave offers a better picture at a better value.

But PC World is now declaring its winner: Plasma. At least in the 40-42 inch set range.

The publication recently tested 12 flat-panel sets between 40 and 42 inches and said three of the top four scoring sets for image quality were Plasma HDTVs. The sole LCD in the group was a Vizio model.

"The Plasma sets' good showing is all the more impressive when you consider that 1080p resolution is only just becoming common on sets of this size, and at this point is far more common on LCDs," the magazine states.

But PC World said 1080p "doesn't create a noticeable advantage--even with 1080i and 1080p source material."

The only 1080p commercial video now on the market are high-def discs from Blu-ray and HD DVD; the broadcast and cable channels are not in 1080p.
"So why would anyone buy an LCD TV? Because they're far less prone to image burn-in. Today's Plasma TVs don't suffer from this condition as much as older models did, and the damage is less likely to be permanent, but it's still a danger," PC World said.

The magazine added: "Whether burn-in becomes a problem depends on your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of standard-definition programs in 4-by-3 mode or if you spend most of your viewing time at stations that run a tickertape along the bottom of the screen, LCD makes the better choice."

PC World said Panasonic's TH-42PV700U 42-inch Plasma offered the best picture in its test group.

Source

Wow!!!! meron ako nito... hehehe.. maganda talaga, kung sa mga di pa nakakakita nito see it for yourself. ;)

Offline khaydlc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 04:48 PM »
Question po Nemesis 91:

Magkano po ang pagkakabili nyo sa unit nyo? sa pinas nyo ba nabili yan?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 06:09 PM »
Where did you bought your unit from Nemesis91? :)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #291 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 07:40 PM »
Wow!!!! meron ako nito... hehehe.. maganda talaga, kung sa mga di pa nakakakita nito see it for yourself. ;)

You mean you have this on sale already?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
This is one of the oddest articles I've read  ;D

PC World says Plasma is the absolute winner...but seems to say LCD is the better choice to avoid burn-in.   ;D
I don't think they were able to make up their mind   ;D

One thng they did make clear...1080p isn't necessary
 :)

Source

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:39 AM »
Not really ericag_ph :) PC World is just high-lighting the issue. It's an option the consumers have depending on their primary purpose.

Those who use it on a bright area, play lots of game or other prone to burn-in source, etc may consider LCD.

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
I'm selling these units guys, i have a shop at trinoma called theater works. Personally i dont have a unit like this for myself (how i wish  ;D), mine is 50pv70 lang. Pm me nalng for the price baka ma ot ako dito. hehehe.. :)

@ericag_ph, nowadays there is no burn in for plasma's. That was the issue long before (1st gen -4th gen 2000-2004) The plasma now is on 10th gen already, and what they have now is called whitewash, its like a wiper that goes every second when you play a film, pc or games. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:56 AM by Nemesis91 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:21 AM »
This is one of the oddest articles I've read  ;D

PC World says Plasma is the absolute winner...but seems to say LCD is the better choice to avoid burn-in.   ;D
I don't think they were able to make up their mind   ;D

Hindi naman siguro. 

The title reads:  "Plasma Beats LCD". Plasma is better than LCD based on what criterion?  The body of the article clarifies that the criterion used was picture quality:

"... PC World is now declaring its winner: Plasma. At least in the 40-42 inch set range.

"

The fact that PC World discussed plasma burn-in shows that the article was being fair and neutral.  According to the article, plasma is better, in terms of picture quality; but if factors other than picture quality are considered, LCD can be a better choice.

The article closed by saying: "PC World said Panasonic's TH-42PV700U 42-inch Plasma offered the best picture in its test group."  Again, the criterion was picture quality.

==================================================

What I found surprising is the fact that the Vizio got high marks.  Balita ko mabenta ang Vizio sa States.  Maybe sir Nemesis can look into Vizio dealership.  As long as customers can be assured of parts and aftersales service, siguradong bebenta rin ang Vizio dito.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:41 AM by barrister »

Offline alfie7

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
maraming article sa internet says plasma is not susceptible to burn-in. kasali kaya ang burn-in issue sa one year guaranty? can anybody tell me? wala pa akong nakita guaranty certificate ng Panasonic that says guaranty screen from burn-in.

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
@ericag_ph, nowadays there is no burn in for plasma's. That was the issue long before (1st gen -4th gen 2000-2004) The plasma now is on 10th gen already, and what they have now is called whitewash, its like a wiper that goes every second when you play a film, pc or games. :)

Kung wala ng burn-in ang mga newer generation plasmas, why the need to break-in the unit for 100hrs?

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:37 AM »
I'm selling these units guys, i have a shop at trinoma called theater works. Personally i dont have a unit like this for myself (how i wish  ;D), mine is 50pv70 lang. Pm me nalng for the price baka ma ot ako dito. hehehe.. :)

sir ano po tong whitewash? meron ba nyan sa pv70? tnx

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:42 AM »
Nemesis91, pls let us know if you have other Panasonic plasma 1080p :)